Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This isn’t true … you could suck $10 more million from his revenue and he easily pulls it out of the roster.

And if we give him another $10 million, is he adding it to the roster? People don’t trust Melnyk as he’s proven to be dishonest. Whether it’s right or wrong, that’s where we’re at.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
And if we give him another $10 million, is he adding it to the roster? People don’t trust Melnyk as he’s proven to be dishonest. Whether it’s right or wrong, that’s where we’re at.

I understand that … my best answer is … I hope so. In fairness he is yet to pocket any money from us.

Last year he bought out ryan and signed Dadonov - he didn’t need too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am not saying the negativity isn't warranted, although I do think it's a bit much.

My issue is that if these negative stories keep fans away from the building and hurt merchandising and everything else, then the long term health of our team is being damaged. Ottawa already faces so many challenges to be competitive. These negative stories just add another layer.

Personally, I don't care about the petty squabbles, he-said she-said crap. Do I wish Melnyk was an Obama and not a Trump? 100% absolutely I do. But he is who he is. It's not "my head in the sand" I just don't see how bitching about it on a message board is going to change anything. If the strategy is to get Melnyk to surrender and sell, I don't see that happening. In fact, Melnyk is probably the type to dig in deeper with every new fight.

Yes, we can boycott the team but aren't we just hurting the health/competitiveness of the team we cheer for if we do that?

It would be nice to know more and most of the banter here is about one or two individuals saying Mendes has no integrity in his reporting on this current event. What is damaging beyond the turnover of people working for and with Melnyk and particularly in this case a pretty loyal honest guy in Chris Phillips.. He is pretty salt of the earth and what we are left with is he is leaving the charity after Brad Weir was let go within a year of being persuaded to join..

It's pieced together here. LNN: Phillips Resigns, Foundation on Pause

Now two pretty stand up former players with their numbers retired have walked away from the Senators organization. That is concerning. This board's negativity is the tip of the iceberg and probably does not have far reaching influence .. my guess but unfortunately our owner isn't getting a pass from most of us. I am sure we will eventually hear more details on this and we will get the spin from probably the Ottawa Sun on how this unfortunate misunderstanding came to be.

There is very little trust in Melnyk re the Ottawa Senators and there is little trust in those that work directly for him running the ship. Is this unfortunate .. for sure it is. Things seem to be going in the right direction and wham something negative happens and its pretty often from the same source.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You should be open to different perspectives … everything suggested that opposes the majority view isn’t automatically contrarians looking to troll.

Here is your view on the org after the EK trade.

“ We got less for Karlsson than We gave up for Duchene. This whole team is clown shoes.”

Now with two years of hindsight I’m sure you feel that we did indeed get more for EK than MD.

My point is to allow other voices to be heard … you don’t need to agree with them but 99% majority views around here don’t make things right.
Huh? What does my 3 year old thoughts on a trade have to do with me saying people emailing Mendes mad that he’s writing negative articles are pathetic? They do have their heads in the sand.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I wasn't asking for your opinion, I don't care what you think about the story, I was only clarifying that your previous comment was not correct and that negative aspects were in fact implied and reported, even if you don't believe them to be factual. That was your original position as you started calling them click bait hacks and other insults. Reality is, its all we have to go on for now and like with anything unconfirmed, take it with a grain of salt, but certainly can't just be waved away because the angry guy on the internet said so.

Do you understand his job and the only reason you “know” him is to grab your attention and sell you products?
You can insult me all you want but if you think your opinion has more weight than mine you are mistaken. If you don’t want my opinion don’t speak to me it’s that simple

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Huh? What does my 3 year old thoughts on a trade have to do with me saying people emailing Mendes mad that he’s writing negative articles are pathetic? They do have their heads in the sand.

Im saying you should be open to the idea your view isn’t correct. There is more to this story and another side of the story beyond what Mendes is reporting.

• Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Its a tactic to discredit you. Put you on the defensive. I see the shift change has happened.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Im saying you should be open to the idea your view isn’t correct. There is more to this story and another side of the story beyond what Mendes is reporting.
So emailing Mendes and telling him to quit the act, while also knowing nothing, isn’t pathetic in your mind?

It’s the definition of pathetic, plain and simple.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you understand his job and the only reason you “know” him is to grab your attention and sell you products?
You can insult me all you want but if you think your opinion has more weight than mine you are mistaken. If you don’t want my opinion don’t speak to me it’s that simple
I did not insult you. Youve made your opinion on the guy known and thats pretty much that. But its still just an opinion that doesnt carry any weight as far as refuting the story. Youve actually been the one insulting him, but whatever, that doesnt matter to me.

And thats rich coming from you considering how many times youve quoted me and given your opinion. I didnt ask for it those times either.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So emailing Mendes and telling him to quit the act, while also knowing nothing, isn’t pathetic in your mind?

I don’t know the context of those tweets but people are definelty able to ask him to explain himself.

An no… Thats not the definition of pathetic…

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

How dare they ask him to stop destroying a local business with no facts to back it up.

Super pathetic

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Mendes would never run a story about how Weir and Phillips under Melynk ran the divisions lowest earning charity.

They collected less money over the entire season then many other teams received in a single game.

Instead it’s a story of alienation of a respected player by the Grinch.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It appears the flames were able to deliver over $1.o million of charity this season from their 50/50 … that implies $1.0 of lottery winnings and what ever the admin costs were. Conservatively Flames fans donated about $2.5-3.0 million which is potentially around 30x more than Sens fans ($0.1).

Calgary Flames Foundation RE/MAX 50/50

A classic case of Ottawa fans blaming their terrible owner when in reality they totally balked at swiping their credit card. No traffic, no parking lot excuses. We could even drink $1 beer from home.

Sure let’s compare the foundations head to head.

When was this iteration of the Sens foundation created? 2021.

When was the flames foundation created? 1980. Home - Calgary Flames Foundation

I wonder if people have more confidence donating to a charity that has been around for 40 years or a charity created less than six months ago?

On that topic, how much has the charity invested in the community? It seems the flames foundation has given over 50,000,000$. Home - Calgary Flames Foundation

How much has this iteration of the Sens community foundation donated? You estimated about 100k from the 50/50 but the truth is we don’t know.

I wonder if having first hand knowledge of a charity’s impact affects how much people are willing to give?

Has the flames foundation ever broken its ties to the flames to continue charitable work as a split off? No. The Sens? Yes.

I wonder if that could have an impact of the confidence of people donating?

How many 50/50 draws did each team have anyway? We should probably check to make sure we’re comparing apples to apples.

Seems the flames foundation held over 56 draws this season. https://cflames.bump5050.com/winners

The Sens community foundation seems to have only held 16. 50/50 Raffle

I wonder if having 3.5 times as many draws, and consistently holding them every game could have an impact on how many people donate and on how much they donate?

What else could the foundations do to attract fan interest? I guess partnerships with alumni might help. Let’s see how those compare.

We know Phillips just walked out the door and we don’t know whether Neil was involved in the foundation. I can’t find an indication that the Sens Alumni aside from Phillips contributed to the new Ottawa senators community foundation.

On the flames foundation side it seems dozen of former players are involved in the alumni association and that they make significant contributions to the flames foundation’s efforts to raise money. OVER $400,000 RAISED AT FLAMES CHARITY GOLF CLASSIC

It’s also interesting to note that despite the team being only 12 years older than the Sens, the flames alumni association has more than three times the members of the Sens association. http://calgaryflamesalumni.com

Alumni Roster

I wonder why the Sens alumni association has such low membership figures?

We can also compare how much time and effort the flames’ foundation invests in communicating its programs, let’s look at this page United by Community featuring dozens of charities supported by the flames foundation and dozens of videos featuring current and former players contributing to the efforts.

How does that compare to the Sens’ community foundation site? They talk about “three pillars” that supposedly guide their donation practices but there aren’t any actual charities listed. How We Give | Senators Community Foundation

I wonder if transparency might have an impact on donations?

On that front, I wonder how successful each foundation has been at making links and partnerships with their respective communities?

It seems the flames foundation has several initiatives where they have partnered with other organizations in creative ways to give back to the community, for instance partnering with Parks Foundation Calgary for the support for sports program Support For Sport - Calgary Flames Foundation or partnering with the Sheldon Kennedy Child Advocacy Center FLAMES FOUNDATION, SKCAC PARTNER ON PROGRAM or recently partnering with Kidsport Calgary FLAMES FOUNDATION JOINES KIDSPORT IN DELIVERING BACK TO SPORT PLAY PACKS - Calgary Flames Foundation.

Can’t find any information about partnerships with the Sens community foundation. I wonder why that would be?

Looking at all these questions, I can’t help but wonder if maybe there’s more to this dilemma than Sens fans being cheap?

TLDR: it’s not as simple as saying ottawa fans are cheap.

The story that should be told here is the failure of the foundation. Blame Melynk, blame Weir/Philllips, blame Covid, or blame the Ottawa fans … but this foundation hardly raised any more money than a decent school fundraiser. Ottawa fans raised about 5% of what other CDN markets do and that is the root cause of this pause and subsequent seperation of Weir/Phillips.

You don’t know the bolded, you have no idea what the Ottawa senators community foundation’s expenses were. For all you know there was a private blow out between Weir and someone else which led to his dismissal. It’s odd that you’re so firmly against Mendes drawing logical conclusions about Phillips being alienated while choosing to ignore foundational flaws in your own analysis like basing your entire hypothesis on estimates of revenues loosely based on 50/50 draws winnings without having even an estimated idea of expenses.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t know the context of those tweets but people are definelty able to ask him to explain himself.

An no… Thats not the definition of pathetic…
People are definitely able to ask him to explain himself, that isn’t pathetic at all. That’s normal discourse.

If that’s what the email I was responding to did you’d have a point.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I wonder if people have more confidence donating to a charity that has been around for 40 years or a charity created less than six months ago?

On that topic, how much has the charity invested in the community? It seems the flames foundation has given over 50,000,000$. Home - Calgary Flames Foundation

How much has this iteration of the Sens community foundation donated? You estimated about 100k from the 50/50 but the truth is we don’t know.

I wonder if having first hand knowledge of a charity’s impact affects how much people are willing to give?

Has the flames foundation ever broken its ties to the flames to continue charitable work as a split off? No. The Sens? Yes.

How many 50/50 draws did each team have anyway? We should probably check to make sure we’re comparing apples to apples.

Seems the flames foundation held over 56 draws this season. https://cflames.bump5050.com/winners

I wonder if having 3.5 times as many draws, and consistently holding them every game could have an impact on how many people donate and on how much they donate?

What else could the foundations do to attract fan interest? I guess partnerships with alumni might help. Let’s see how those compare.

We know Phillips just walked out the door and we don’t know whether Neil was involved in the foundation. I can’t find an indication that the Sens Alumni aside from Phillips contributed to the new Ottawa senators community foundation.

On the flames foundation side it seems dozen of former players are involved in the alumni association and that they make significant contributions to the flames foundation’s efforts to raise money. OVER $400,000 RAISED AT FLAMES CHARITY GOLF CLASSIC

It’s also interesting to note that despite the team being only 12 years older than the Sens, the flames alumni association has more than three times the members of the Sens association. http://calgaryflamesalumni.com

Alumni Roster

We can also compare how much time and effort the flames’ foundation invests in communicating its programs, let’s look at this page United by Community featuring dozens of charities supported by the flames foundation and dozens of videos featuring current and former players contributing to the efforts.

How does that compare to the Sens’ community foundation site? They talk about “three pillars” that supposedly guide their donation practices but there aren’t any actual charities listed. How We Give | Senators Community Foundation

On that front, I wonder how successful each foundation has been at making links and partnerships with their respective communities?

It seems the flames foundation has several initiatives where they have partnered with other organizations in creative ways to give back to the community, for instance partnering with Parks Foundation Calgary for the support for sports program Support For Sport - Calgary Flames Foundation or partnering with the Sheldon Kennedy Child Advocacy Center FLAMES FOUNDATION, SKCAC PARTNER ON PROGRAM or recently partnering with Kidsport Calgary FLAMES FOUNDATION JOINES KIDSPORT IN DELIVERING BACK TO SPORT PLAY PACKS - Calgary Flames Foundation.

Can’t find any information about partnerships with the Sens community foundation. I wonder why that would be?

Looking at all these questions, I can’t help but wonder if maybe there’s more to this dilemma than Sens fans being cheap?

You don’t know the bolded, you have no idea what the Ottawa senators community foundation’s expenses were. For all you know there was a private blow out between Weir and someone else which led to his dismissal. It’s odd that you’re so firmly against Mendes drawing logical conclusions about Phillips being alienated while choosing to ignore foundational flaws in your own analysis like basing your entire hypothesis on estimates of revenues loosely based on 50/50 draws winnings without having even an estimated idea of expenses.

Sorry I’m only talking about this year, under Covid (Weir/Philips) and how it relates to the foundation being paused by Melynk. I’m using the teams advertised payouts as an estimate for revenue assuming they paid out 50% of revenue . Most teams make that publically available. I don’t care what the flames did 20 years ago.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sorry I’m only talking about this year, under Covid (Weir/Philips) and I’m using the teams advertised payouts as an estimate for revenue assuming they paid out 50% of revenue .

It goes without saying that I’m also only talking about this year in relation to the Sens given that they launched their foundation less than a year ago.

Please read the whole post, several points are directly related to the present.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It goes without saying that I’m also only talking about this year in relation to the Sens given that they launched their foundation less than a year ago.

I get that it’s new - but Covid 50/50 TV tickets are new for all markets.

We didn’t sell 5% of other markets.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Alumni Roster

Good work here but you are arguing with someone that does one liner criticisms trying to hit on a hot button with absolutely nothing to back up what he is saying.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not sure - I suspect not… or at least not limiting another $10 mill. LTIR keeps everyone getting paid as they hope yo be around the league (proper money spent on player salaries)
Well they wouldnt be competing for much of anything with their current payroll during these last 2 rebuild years either, so what would another $10 mil less change really.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I get that it’s new - but Covid 50/50 TV tickets are new for all markets.

We didn’t sell 5% of other markets.

I think it’s pretty clear you aren’t comparing apples to apples here. I’m not talking about the method of fundraising being new, but the charity itself being new and having 0 credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad