Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think it’s pretty clear you aren’t comparing apples to apples here. I’m not talking about the method of fundraising being new, but the charity itself being new and having 0 credibility.

Do you think 95% less revenue can be blamed on not knowing enough about the foundation when a Sens TV add popped up during a Sens broadcast?

I have lots of excuses for not buying tickets but that wasn’t one for me. I wasn’t worried where my $5 would end up.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Neither helps Melnyk. That seems to be your main focus here, even if you couch it in whatever you can to try and deflect that fact.

Not at all… I think you misunderstand.

Melynk will make $2.9 milllion every year regardless of how many tickets we buy. The only thing that will change is the amount of money spent on player salaries. That is the crux behind linking revenue to expenses.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not at all… I think you misunderstand. Melynk will make $2.9 milllion every year regardless of how many tickets we buy. The only thing that will change is the amount of money spent on player salaries.
Okay, I'm not sure you understand how money works if you think ticket expenses don't matter to his bottom line. :laugh: We're done here.

Reactions: Rand0m

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Okay, I'm not sure you understand how money works if you think ticket expenses don't matter to his bottom line. :laugh: We're done here.

I’m sorry you don’t understand.

Melynk has enough money from TV and other sources of league revenue that he doesn’t need many fans to attend a game to ice a cap floor, dead capped inflated team.

He needs a couple … but 10000, 8000, 13000 don’t fans don’t stop him from making $2.9 each year.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Do you think 95% less revenue can be blamed on not knowing enough about the foundation when a Sens TV add popped up during a Sens broadcast?

I have lots of excuses for not buying tickets but that wasn’t one for me.

I think that for charities to be successful, they need to build up credibility within the community.

They can do that in many ways, banking on credibility of their directors or board (check for the flames Board of Directors - Calgary Flames Foundation), through their history in the community (check for the flames, see my long post for references), through creative marketing/partnership strategies (check for the flames) among other ways.

What has the Ottawa Senators Community Foundation done to build that kind of credibility? The one thing was hiring Weir and Phillips. That’s gone now.

The fact you’re conveniently choosing to ignore is that the Ottawa Senators Community Foundation was starting way, way, way behind the 8 ball compared to all other NHL foundations (heck they were at the dart board rather than on the pool table) because the Sens caused significant harm to their charity’s credibility by breaking off ties with the old Ottawa Senators Foundation and with the people who had invested so much into it.

For contrast, it certainly seems the Ottawa Gatineau Youth Foundation (former Ottawa Senators Foundation) is doing just fine. They just committed to providing 250,000$ to send kids to camp this summer. OGYF announces $250,000 commitment to send hundreds of vulnerable young people to summer camp.

It’s also interesting to note that OGYF does a lot of the things that increase credibility that I mentioned earlier with a credible board About Us (who is even on the board of the OSCF?); interesting partnerships with local business (Home); sharing articles and information about its charity work (Summer camp to help address ‘social malnutrition’ suffered by young people amid pandemic | Ottawa Business Journal; News). Not surprising that that charity seems successful.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think that for charities to be successful, they need to build up credibility within the community.

They can do that in many ways, banking on credibility of their directors or board (check for the flames Board of Directors - Calgary Flames Foundation), through their history in the community (check for the flames, see my long post for references), through creative marketing/partnership strategies (check for the flames) among other ways.

What has the Ottawa Senators Community Foundation done to build that kind of credibility? The one thing was hiring Weir and Phillips. That’s gone now.

The fact you’re conveniently choosing to ignore is that the Ottawa Senators Community Foundation was starting way, way, way behind the 8 ball compared to all other NHL foundations (heck they were at the dart board rather than on the pool table) because the Sens caused significant harm to their charity’s credibility by breaking off ties with the old Ottawa Senators Foundation and with the people who had invested so much into it.

For contrast, it certainly seems the Ottawa Gatineau Youth Foundation (former Ottawa Senators Foundation) is doing just fine. They just committed to providing 250,000$ to send kids to camp this summer. OGYF announces $250,000 commitment to send hundreds of vulnerable young people to summer camp.

It’s also interesting to note that OGYF does a lot of the things that increase credibility that I mentioned earlier with a credible board About Us (who is even on the board of the OSCF?); interesting partnerships with local business (Home); sharing articles and information about its charity work (Summer camp to help address ‘social malnutrition’ suffered by young people amid pandemic | Ottawa Business Journal; News). Not surprising that that charity seems successful.

Well Weir and Philllips guided this foundation to a measly $100K when other teams received millions… They only had a year but it doesn’t appear they accomplished much.

I’m not blaming those guys … I wouldn’t want the job of selling anything to this fan base.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well their made up bs doesn't really change anything. Mendes is not a hack no matter how much they try to imply it and they're obviously just sensitive that their favourite franchise and owner is getting dragged once again and acting defensively. They've still put forward no argument other than media members are hacks and giving Melnyk the benefit of the doubt again.

I’m sorry but Mendes just wrote a slanted story that is harmful to a local business and he provided zero evidence or facts.
They would have failed him in school for this and it 100% against all known journalism standards.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I’m sorry but Mendes just wrote a slanted story that is harmful to a local business and he provided zero evidence or facts.
They would have failed him in school for this and it 100% against all known journalism standards.
I teach journalism as does Mr. Mendes. You're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I teach journalism as does Mr. Mendes. You're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about.

Lol ya right, google journalism ethics or standards, reporting like he did is a joke and absolutely against everything reporting news is suppose to represent.
Every human on the planet knows claims and opinions without facts are a black eye on the profession

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Lol ya right, google journalism ethics or standards, reporting like he did is a joke and absolutely against everything reporting news is suppose to represent.
Every human on the planet knows claims and opinions without facts are a black eye on the profession
I’ve established my credentials. What are yours?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Did you read the full article or only the part quoted in the tweet?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I appreciate you providing your opinion again, but I still don't agree with it. I don't believe Mendes did or would just pull that out of his ass. We also have story after story of Melnyk being an ass, so why would I doubt we have another one to add to the list?

The media has treated Melnyk the way he treated them and tried to strongarm them, so no sympathy from me even if you are correct. This is the guy Melnyk lambasted as "bush league" for an incredibly stupid reason.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I appreciate you providing your opinion again, but I still don't agree with it. I don't believe Mendes did or would just pull that out of his ass.

The media has treated Melnyk the way he treated them and tried to strongarm them, so no sympathy from me even if you are correct. This is the guy Melnyk lambasted as "bush league" for an incredibly stupid reason.

Well unless he can provide 1 piece of evidence he is a hack.
If he can good for him but it should be in his story to begin with.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well unless he can provide 1 piece of evidence he is a hack.
If he can good for him but it should be in his story to begin with.
Eh I dont think so, unnamed sources are very common nowadays, especially in sports.

Its not like this was some bomb drop of a story either, to most people following its just like number 50 on the list involving the one consistent variable, Melnyk. I realize that shouldnt give anyone a license to write what they want about him, but the way the story would be received would just be like any of the others knowing he's not about to turn in to a saint overnight.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Eh I dont think so, unnamed sources are very common nowadays, especially in sports.

Its not like this was some bomb drop of a story either, to most people following its just like number 50 on the list involving the one consistent variable, Melnyk. I realize that shouldnt give anyone a license to write what they want about him, but the way the story would be received would just be like any of the others.

There is no “source” that’s the issue.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Until one is presented yes it does
Until it is presented, file it under grain of salt, as Ive said, but write it off completely? No, definitely not, especially not with Melnyk's track record telling us it'd actually be more surprising if Phillips left amicably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad