Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5 (YOUS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He’s suggested the ownership is at fault for another “alienated” player relationship. That’s a popular beat to drum around here.

Imagine if he came out and shamed the Ottawa fan base for their measly donations to the foundation. Or perhaps questioned the effectiveness of Weir/Phillips in their roll. He’d be Publicly Persecuted and as such he has conveniently ignored that side of the story.
Name me another sports organization that has had this much of a bad relationship with former players, or one that has had to cancel a charity.

Melnyk being the common denominator is not a hot take.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
2. Invited by said person to discuss things and have a discussion on the issue

3. Nah, why would I want to do that. I’ll continue my schtick of being the a contrarian

I don’t believe Mendes offered anyone a open debate. Either way, posting here doesn’t require that type of validation. You don’t share your name, employer, face etc with every post.

Not every opinion against the norm is a contrarian view. Sometimes they are right even though 99% of people think them to be false.

Here is another example where your beliefs aligned with the popular views but two years later you would probably recognize they were misguided.

“Extremely good signing, pretty much spot on what I was hoping/expecting. Much better than a 2/3 year deal at 2.5-3 million.
This is extremely similar to the unbelievable Turris signing. Will be a bargain deal as soon as this year. 4.75 will be the going rate for #3C in a year or two.”

Give him a chance, debate what you want, but there is more to this story.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
1. Call someone unprofessional and say he’s destroying journalism ethics

2. Invited by said person to discuss things and have a discussion on the issue

3. Nah, why would I want to do that. I’ll continue my schtick of being the a contrarian

4. Now apparently Mendes is harming the charity :laugh: Can’t make this stuff up.

For someone that is acting like he understands journalism, you’re showing quite the lack of understanding.

No no no he did not say he would be discussing any facts he said he wants to share how media works

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t believe Mendes offered anyone a open debate. Either way, posting here doesn’t require that type of validation. You don’t share your name, employer, face etc with every post.

Not every opinion against the norm is a contrarian view. Sometimes they are right even though 99% of people fee them to be false.

Here is another ex some where your beliefs aligned with the popular views but two years later you would probably recognize they were misguided.

“Extremely good signing, pretty much spot on what I was hoping/expecting. Much better than a 2/3 year deal at 2.5-3 million.
This is extremely similar to the unbelievable Turris signing. Will be a bargain deal as soon as this year. 4.75 will be the going rate for #3C in a year or two.”

Give him a chance, debate what you want, but there is more to this story.
Again, not sure why you keep searching for year old takes from me. If you keep looking, you’ll find a lotttttttt more, being a message board and all. This has nothing to do with on ice stuff, so again, not seeing the relevance?

And yes, both he and you are contrarians.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Again, not sure why you keep searching for year old takes from me. If you keep looking, you’ll find a lotttttttt more.

And yes, both he and you are contrarians.

Im pointing out that your passionate views deserve some caution. You’re insulting someone when you could be considering alternatives to your instincts. Have your views, argue and debate what you want, but maybe tonne down the name calling. You like to call people contrarians because they oppose generally accepted views … but a lot of those views prove to be misguided with the benefit of time. Time proves that those many of those “opposing views” weren’t contrarian but actually correct.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No no no he did not say he would be discussing any facts he said he wants to share how media works

Ya - that’s what I thought. Not sure where posters are getting he’s offering some type of open house discussion or debate.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Name me another sports organization that has had this much of a bad relationship with former players, or one that has had to cancel a charity.

Melnyk being the common denominator is not a hot take.

Name another city that demands the owner of a sports team loses money
Or another city where the fans screem and Demand a new stadium and new downtown from a hockey team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ya - that’s what I thought. Not sure where posters are getting he’s offering some type of open house discussion or debate.
Do you think he is just gonna scold you and not offer you an opportunity to explain your arguments? If you truly believe you are right, when not try to convince someone who covers the team?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you think he is just gonna scold you and not offer you an opportunity to explain your side?

No I think he’s going to share his view of how the media works (which is what he said he is going to do).

Mendes is welcome to report on Ottawa’s fan participation in the foundation or comment on the performance of Weir/Phillips in their rolls when ever he wants …

It took me 10 minutes to compare the 50/50 revenue (payouts) of the CdN teams. With his contacts and journalism skills I’m sure he could present a much better picture than me.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Name another city that demands the owner of a sports team loses money
Or another city where the fans screem and Demand a new stadium and new downtown from a hockey team.
First of all, I’m not exactly sure what this has to do with closing a charity and having a toxic relationship with former players. You seem to be trying to attack every other criticism of Melnyk when there's only one thing being asked.

Second of all, I’m sure a lot of teams would lose support if the team has proven to the fanbase that it won’t spend. Look no further than Chicago and what a terrible owner Bill Wirtz was. They had bottom of the league attendance even when they made the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Do you think he is just gonna scold you and not offer you an opportunity to explain your side?

He is trying to get views he is not stupid enough to let random people steal his podium on his stage.
I explained why actual facts are needed he gave out zero facts and plugged his big show.
Its not hard to see what he is doing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
No I think he’s going to share his view of how the media works (which is what he said he is going to do).

Mendes is welcome to report on Ottawa’s fan participation in the foundation or comment on the performance of Weir/Phillips in their rolls when ever he wants …

It took me 10 minutes to compare the 50/50 revenue (payouts) of the CdN teams. With his contacts and journalism skills I’m sure he could present a much better picture than me.
Amazing. You are basically calling him a liar, so he wants you to have an opportunity to explain why you feel Melnyk is being vilified, an opinion that you obviously feel very strongly about and you run and hide.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Amazing. You are basically calling him a liar, so he wants you to have an opportunity to explain why you feel Melnyk is being vilified, an opinion that you obviously feel very strongly about and you run and hide.

I don’t think Mendes is a liar and I am absolutely not calling him a liar.

He hasn’t asked me to do anything. I think you are getting posts confused.

I think he has shied away from the Weir/Phillips revenue issue of this story.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Friendly reminder.
The Ottawa Senators closed their in house charity 5 months after they launched it.
5 MONTHS.

They were completely unprepared to bring this charity to life by properly funding it. Not only that they launched it during a pandemic, and shut it several months before the start of a new season where they can hold events.

Everything else here is contrarians blaming everyone but the the organization for its own incompetence.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Friendly reminder.
The Ottawa Senators closed their in house charity 5 months after they launched it.
5 MONTHS.

They were completely unprepared to bring this charity to life by properly funding it. Not only that they launched it during a pandemic, and shut it several months before the start of a new season where they can hold events.

Everything else here is contrarians blaming everyone but the the organization for its own incompetence.

Well they ran the same 50/50 draws that every other org used to raise millions of dollars I the same 5 months …those worked well for most teams including basketball etc .

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Well they ran the same 50/50 draws that every other org used to raise millions of dollars I the same 5 months …those worked well for most teams including basketball etc .
UGH.
The SENS FOUNDATION was massively successful for many many many years. The 50/50 draws regularly drew in over 10 - and up to 20K.

THEN EM decided to do his thing and sever ties with them and start his own under very vague and arguably shady circumstances. He then started his own charity, which many people want nothing to do with, because he's a f***ing scumbag.

Like, it's so cut and dry I don't know how people can see it any other way?

Reactions: Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
UGH.
The SENS FOUNDATION was massively successful for many many many years. The 50/50 draws regularly drew in over 10 - and up to 20K.

THEN EM decided to do his thing and sever ties with them and start his own under very vague and arguably shady circumstances. He then started his own charity, which many people want nothing to do with, because he's a f***ing scumbag.

Like, it's so cut and dry I don't know how people can see it any other way?

Come on … it’s ad add you see on TV or your phone and spend $5… you don’t need 10 years of confidence to risk that $5. Everyone knows where their $5 is going.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It’s unfortunate (as well as pathetic and sad) the org decided not to fun it’s own in house charity until it could gain the confidence of donors.
Relying on 10 or 15 50/50 ticket draws is humiliatingly embarrassing.

The Senators are?/should be working to regain the trust of the community in general and specifically with regards to charitable giving after their last charity relationship fell apart.
Yet they didn’t have a plan for 5 months?

They literally didn’t want to contribute anything to get it off the ground? Yikes. How does that build confidence?
Instead it’s another embarrassment for the team with egg on its face and another foundational player had left the org.

All while trying to sign Tkachuk to a longterm deal. Good work Sens!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Let's blame everyone but the guy that has the power to make every decision in the organization. Sounds good.

Melnyk has never taken responsibility for anything, there's really no need to defend him.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Let's blame everyone but the guy that has the power to make every decision in the organization. Sounds good.

Melnyk has never taken responsibility for anything, there's really no need to defend him.

He hired Weir and Phillips who by all accounts are excellent choices - who else should we blame ? The owner put good people in charge … I assume they did a competent job .. The Ottawa fans didn’t buy.

OSEG is bleeding money too… who do you want to blame there ? All sports teams in Ottawa are struggling for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad