Erik Karlsson vs Luke Schenn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Let me sum up this thread:

- Ottawa fans keep saying this discussion is not even close
- Leaf fans keep bringing up Schenns 3 point night
- Kim sambo keeps arguing that Schenns offense will be that of a Phillips, Staal, etc, even though that his stage in their proression, they were behind. Sambo follows that up by saying he knows Schenn will not approve because he has seen them.
- Leaf fans flame

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Let me sum up this thread:

- Ottawa fans keep saying this discussion is not even close
- Leaf fans keep bringing up Schenns 3 point night
- Kim sambo keeps arguing that Schenns offense will be that of a Phillips, Staal, etc, even though that his stage in their proression, they were behind. Sambo follows that up by saying he knows Schenn will not approve because he has seen them.
- Leaf fans flame

In all fairness, its only been me to do that ;). I use it as a rebutal to sens fan's claiming that Schenn has no offensuve potential or upside.

KesselySnipes

Dec 17, 2009
That French Place
HUH? Phillips was much better offensively in the whl and comparable in the NHL at this point in Schenn's career.
That was over 15 years ago. If you're going to call someone out, try not to sound ridiculous yourself.

As for this thread, nothing really needs to be said at this point as this has turned into a complete ****show.

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
HUH? Phillips was much better offensively in the whl and comparable in the NHL at this point in Schenn's career.

He did get an extra year in the Dub though. Not that it matters, obviously, since its stupid to compare point totals for defencemen coming out of junior, particularly in different eras.

That was over 15 years ago. If you're going to call someone out, try not to sound ridiculous yourself.

As for this thread, nothing really needs to be said at this point as this has turned into a complete ****show.

To be fair, it was the Leaf fan who made the comparison first.

KesselySnipes

Dec 17, 2009
That French Place
To be fair, it was the Leaf fan who made the comparison first.
My bad. I assumed it was a comparison that was made earlier on. Then again I only skimmed through this thread, but can you really blame me? haha... Any thread that pits one Canadian team's prospect against another always ends up in a big pile of troll.

Radical thought: maybe they're both awesome prospects that have a lot of potential to grow as they get older? I dunno... that seems like the most likely scenario in my opinion. I would love to have Karlsson on the Leafs and I assume Ottawa fans wouldn't mind having Schenn either... at least the rational fans on either side should think that way.

As an aside: I'm beginning to realize that most posters here aren't fans of hockey in general, but fans of their team exclusively. Usually debates end up as *insert other team's prospect here* is a bust and vice-versa. They should rename this place My Team's Future because at least that paints a more accurate picture... but I digress..

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
As an aside: I'm beginning to realize that most posters here aren't fans of hockey in general, but fans of their team exclusively. Usually debates end up as *insert other team's prospect here* is a bust and vice-versa. They should rename this place My Team's Future because at least that paints a more accurate picture.

Yeah, but what are you going to do. 3-4 years ago it was Meszaros versus Colaiacovo. This foolishness comes with the territory.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

And its apparently its quite the insult the be compared to one of the NHL's best shut down guys who moves around pretty darn well for a big guy, and can move the puck up the ice pretty well when given the opportunity.

- Kim sambo keeps arguing that Schenns offense will be that of a

Heyyy I see what ya did there ... ;)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
My bad. I assumed it was a comparison that was made earlier on. Then again I only skimmed through this thread, but can you really blame me? haha... Any thread that pits one Canadian team's prospect against another always ends up in a big pile of troll.

Radical thought: maybe they're both awesome prospects that have a lot of potential to grow as they get older? I dunno... that seems like the most likely scenario in my opinion. I would love to have Karlsson on the Leafs and I assume Ottawa fans wouldn't mind having Schenn either... at least the rational fans on either side should think that way.

As an aside: I'm beginning to realize that most posters here aren't fans of hockey in general, but fans of their team exclusively. Usually debates end up as *insert other team's prospect here* is a bust and vice-versa. They should rename this place My Team's Future because at least that paints a more accurate picture... but I digress..

The flaw in this argument is that you are actually using logic and not being a complete homer. That's not how things work around here.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
Excuse me? Did I call Schenn a star player? He's a developing young talent, just like Karlsson. If he was 26 or 27 you might have a point about him being an "ordinary" player, but he's not. His game has come along considerably since his rookie season.

It's too bad you're not paying attention.

I read you, but you have leaf-colored glasses on.

Karlsson is in another stratosphere from Schenn. Karlsson is already a young star in this league, having lead his team into the playoffs and scored 6 in 6.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Karlsson is in another stratosphere from Schenn. Karlsson is already a young star in this league, having lead his team into the playoffs and scored 6 in 6.

I'm a fan of Karlsson but he's not a young star in this league yet. Patrick Kane, Jonathan Teows and Steven Stamkos are young stars. That is an extremely overrating statement.

And Schenn is a defensive defenseman, not an offensive defenseman.

Just a bad comparison.

TheOriginalSilf*

Alright, now we're taking it a bit too far. Schenn is still an great defensive defenceman, and he's still just as young as EK. In my honest opinion, Karlsson has a higher ceiling than Schenn but I still don't understand why this thread is going to be quite honest.

Karlsson - Young offensive defenceman, who can be a top pairing guy.
Schenn - Young defensive defenceman, who can be a top pairing guy (less likely, in my opinion)

But these two are both great prospects that fit the bill of what their team needs. End of story. We can argue point totals and claim we know who's going to be the better player, but truth of that matter is, none of us truly know yet. That's why they're considered "prospects"! Now, let's wait a few more seasons in the big leagues before we truly judge who's better.

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
But these two are both great prospects that fit the bill of what their team needs. End of story. We can argue point totals and claim we know who's going to be the better player, but truth of that matter is, none of us truly know yet. That's why they're considered "prospects"! Now, let's wait a few more seasons in the big leagues before we truly judge who's better.

This I can agree with. It's impossible to argue against this, its the truth.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
- Kim sambo keeps arguing that Schenns offense will be that of a Phillips, Staal, etc, even though that his stage in their proression, they were behind.

Who cares how long ago it was? leafsfuture made the comparison and I responded. Neither of youy have made a case as to why anybody should think that Schenn's offensive game will improve substantially... and certainly not to the "40-45 point" (Top-25 D-men in the league level).

He did get an extra year in the Dub though. Not that it matters, obviously, since its stupid to compare point totals for defencemen coming out of junior, particularly in different eras.

Yeah, but Schenn is very early in his career and there's not a whole heck of a lot else to compare to because of that.

You have Phillips & Schenn's pre-draft year... and Phillips rookie season & Schenn's 2nd season. Those are the only points at which these two played at comparable levels at the same time. In the NHL season, they were equal. In the WHL, Phillips was producing noticeably more. Those are the only comparison possible between these two right now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is quite funny to see the same Sens fanbase that used to rip on Kaberle in comparison to any of their defensemen, now praise Karlsson to high heaven.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
It is quite funny to see the same Sens fanbase that used to rip on Kaberle in comparison to any of their defensemen, now praise Karlsson to high heaven.

You mean that same Karlsson who "can't outscore Schenn"?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad