Erik Karlsson vs Luke Schenn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I have no idea really where Schenn vs. Karlsson became Doughty vs. Karlsson, because I'd rather have Doughty than both of them.

I think Karlsson doesn't become a franchise D by virtue of the fact that PPQB-puckmovers don't generally become franchise D...Dan Boyle? Very good D, not franchise. Mike Green? Very good forward disguised as a D, not franchise.

I don't think Karlsson is a franchise defenceman-to be either. I think his max potential is to be a mix of Niklas Kronwall and Sergei Zubov, his mid potential is to be Toby Enstrom and his poor case scenario is to be Anton Stralman.

Somewhat unrelated (because Karlsson is not Keith) but I think Duncan Keith is simultaneously not a franchise defenceman and the best defenceman in the league, if that makes any sense.

testinz

Oct 2, 2007
One positional thing he needs to learn is what to do when the other team establishes a cycle, because sometimes he stands at (clears, haha) the front of the net and watches before identifying who to take.

This is Karlsson's only problem defensively.... as long as he doesn't stand idle infront of the net, he will be an elite offensive defenseman :)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is really comparing apples to oranges.

Schenn: very good, young, shutdown dman with excellent size, defensive positioning and physical edge. However, not a strong skater and not much of an offensive talent in general.

Karlsson: very good, young, offensive dman with excellent skating, a nice shot and good playmaking/puckmoving skills. However, undersized, and hasn't shown anything too special defensively.

They're both nice young players, and both different enough that all you're gonna get is Toronto fans picking Schenn, with Ottawa fans picking Karlsson. I could see Schenn peaking at a roughly prime Robyn Regehr, with Karlsson peaking at a roughly prime Kimmo Timonen, and I'm really not sure who I'd pick between those two.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada

Schenn: very good, young, shutdown dman with excellent size, defensive positioning and physical edge. However, not a strong skater and not much of an offensive talent in general.

Karlsson: very good, young, offensive dman with excellent skating, a nice shot and good playmaking/puckmoving skills. However, undersized, and hasn't shown anything too special defensively.

They're both nice young players, and both different enough that all you're gonna get is Toronto fans picking Schenn, with Ottawa fans picking Karlsson. I could see Schenn peaking at a roughly prime Robyn Regehr, with Karlsson peaking at a roughly prime Kimmo Timonen, and I'm really not sure who I'd pick between those two.

Best analysis yet, no homer points, straight to the point and true. I think Schenn will be a bit like Phillips, solid shut down guy, good leader and can chip offensively. Schenn can improve his skating just like Phillips did.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
To be honest, I haven't really watched too much of Schenn because the Leafs have been done by x-mas pretty much both years he's been in the NHL. He hasn't gotten a good shot at making the playoffs and/or playing in real meaningful games down the stretch. He really needs something like that to really start to cement his career and make alot of progress in my opinion.
As for Karlsson, his offensive upside to me is tremendous. I think comparisons to being a 2nd tier offensive player from the backend are a bit unfair and leaves me thinking he is underated on these boards. There's no doubt, he's a high risk player and made some bonehead plays throughout the season and into the playoffs. But those mistakes will come down with experience.

As someone mentioned, it will be interesting to see how each player does this year and we can look back to compare.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I have a great deal of trouble evaluating defense. It is hard to know when a Dman makes a defensive error that coaches can easily recognize. This is why I have trouble know how good Schenn is/will be.

Karlsson is just fun to watch, so I prefer him.

Wish I could add more, but who cares what I think :-p

mckly

go leafs go
Aug 9, 2007
Drayton, Ontario
I have a great deal of trouble evaluating defense. It is hard to know when a Dman makes a defensive error that coaches can easily recognize. This is why I have trouble know how good Schenn is/will be.

Karlsson is just fun to watch, so I prefer him.
Its not fun to watch schenn crush with a body check?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Its not fun to watch schenn crush with a body check?

That's something I really want to see him do more of. He's laid some pretty good hits, but he hasn't "erased" or "crushed" anyone yet (I.E. he hasn't had any hits like the ones Phaneuf and Komisarek do, the ones that really hurt).

Basically, I wanna' see him erase someone off an NHL roster for an extended period of time. Only then will he truly be "The Human Eraser."

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009
That's something I really want to see him do more of. He's laid some pretty good hits, but he hasn't "erased" or "crushed" anyone yet (I.E. he hasn't had any hits like the ones Phaneuf and Komisarek do, the ones that really hurt).

Basically, I wanna' see him erase someone off an NHL roster for an extended period of time. Only then will he truly be "The Human Eraser."

eeerrrraaaasssssseeeddddd

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
eeerrrraaaasssssseeeddddd

Pretty sure that hit was after Phaneuf's arrival, am I right? That is Luke's best career hit, a pretty good one, but I'll show you what I mean when you "erase" someone.

Kyle Okposo; erased from the roster for the rest of preseason. That's what I want to see Schenn do to someone (preferably during the regular season).

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009

The most impressive thing Schenn's done is checking Malkin. To knock down a star of his caliber is something that is more impressive than checking a 5,10" nobody. (not calling okoposo a nobody but checking a star cleanly is one of the hardest things in hockey)

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
The most impressive thing he's done is checking Malkin. To knock down a star of his caliber is something that is more impressive than checking a 5,10" nobody. (not calling okoposo a nobody but checking a star is one of the hardest things in hockey)

That was a good hit as well, but again, not "bone crunching." Malkin got up 2 seconds later and was completely fine.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

Pretty good analysis, but I am not too sure yet that Karlsson will be able to play the same kind of defense as Timonen. Karlssons defensive brain seems somewhat scattered still, but he works hard and will improve in that part of the game.

A somewhat overlooked part of Kimmo's game (not by fans of teams he is playing on) is his defensive hockey sense and ability to shut down big time players. Just ask Ovechkin, he must hate Timonen's guts :)

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
This one is more like it. Malkin was actually hurting afterward.

Embedding doesn't seem to work sometimes strange.

Malkin actually has a couple of Highlight Reel hits against him, but the Witt one is the hardest.

But Schenn doesn't go out of his way to destroy someone like Phaneuf would.

Almost all of Schenn's checks are finished and he doesn't go out of position when he does them.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson is getting a little underrated defensively. He does make bone-headed moves sometimes but it's the nature of his game. However, he is not a complete liability defensively and anyone who watched the Sens-Pens series would have seen Karlsson shadow Malkin the entire series. He messed up on one or two occasions and others were cause of Sutton's slow reaction time compared to the Penguins' speed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The most impressive thing Schenn's done is checking Malkin. To knock down a star of his caliber is something that is more impressive than checking a 5,10" nobody. (not calling okoposo a nobody but checking a star cleanly is one of the hardest things in hockey)

Funny you mention that because Karlsson nailed Malkin in the playoffs. All of his 5'11, 170lbs flying into the big ol' Russian. So I guess it's not that big of a deal? :dunno:

ayham9

May 21, 2009
So If one proposed a trade of karlsson for schenn, i personally as a sens fan can't say yes.....leafs fans would u pull the trigger?

Last edited:

TheOriginalSilf*

So If one proposed a trade of karlsson for schenn, i personally as a sens fan can't say yes.....leafs fans would u pull the trigger?

This is what I'm saying, that trade would be terrible for BOTH teams. We have discussed this: Schenn fits the Leafs as a Defensive D-man. Karlsson fits the Sens as an Offensive D-man.

They both fit what each team needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad