Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Rumors is that it was kmac who pushed for the Vanfleet deal, probably the worst trade of Papineau's career and this is the guy you want as an advisor.
Rob and KMac felt they needed this type of player

“We wanted a big, strong left-shot D who could come in here and really help us out,” Sudbury’s GM said. “When we looked around the league, Noah Van Vliet was at the top of that list.”

back fired bigtime.

I also don't think KMac as an advisor will have much impact on the day to day decision making on the hockey team. He probably went back to his old position taking care of the billets dept.
Hey Wolves fans, I'd appreciate your thoughts on NVV. Based solely on very limited viewing, the consensus first impression words used by IceDog fans to describe NVV play are “slow” and “clumsy”. An OHL GM agreed, when I suggested that a 3rd,4th and 5th for this particular OA was probably an overpay. What was it about NVV play with Sudbury that has fans so down on him?

T.I.A.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Kudos to Ken, he has that special talent and always has of manipulating in his best interests. He will eventually work his way into the GM spot and laugh his way all the way to the bank.🤭

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Hey Wolves fans, I'd appreciate your thoughts on NVV. Based solely on very limited viewing, the consensus first impression words used by IceDog fans to describe NVV play are “slow” and “clumsy”. An OHL GM agreed, when I suggested that a 3rd,4th and 5th for this particular OA was probably an overpay. What was it about NVV play with Sudbury that has fans so down on him?

T.I.A.
He was not very good at hockey. He was worse with the puck and less of a physical presence then the 17 year old they traded away(along with picks) to get him. He's the typical "Can't teach size" player that boomer GMs love.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Barrie was never trading Punnet to the Wolves, there was no option or choice to be had.
That’s not true. The Wolves would have paid a better price than Oshawa did if they weren’t locked into Giroux

Rumors is that it was kmac who pushed for the Vanfleet deal, probably the worst trade of Papineau's career and this is the guy you want as an advisor.
It’s not a rumour, , this is true

Reactions: WolvesFan

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

T.I.A.

He is big, he is slow, he doesn’t look strong on his skates but he is a good defensive defenseman. He blocks shots, you won’t see many big hits but he does block out and rub out other players. He’s good for the odd fight and he doesn’t take dumb penalties. He wasn’t worth the price either GM paid for him but he’s a good fit on a rebuilding team like Niagara

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Barrie and Sudbury have a long history of deeply disliking each other. I’m guessing player would also have some input into staying south. Oshawa was also building for a run.

Giroux cost 2 thirds. How is that a deterrence?

Sure they do but the Wolves and Barrie have made several deals together. If the right price was there or even an overpay, either GM would make the deal. The Wolves would have easily made a better offer if they weren't locked into getting Giroux and keeping McCallum. Even after the bounty fiasco there were still trade discussions with Barrie at the deadline other than Punnett last year but they never came to fruition
Punnet wouldn’t have saved the lost season. Coaching, style of play and egos hurt us…

Agreed. The only thing that might have overcame the coaching and discipline issues was a spectacular goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad