Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Solid interview, you can tell Dorion is just so stoked on the way his team is coming along.

I gotta say, I thought the Branstrom part was just pausing to gather his thoughts. He had lots of good things to say about him, and basically said that he has to fight for his ice time, but he’s coming along nicely. Lots of props for his defensive development and his skating.

He also said that he’s more focused on the core continuing to develop and respond to these pressure games than he is thinking about the playoffs. So far he’s very impressed.

Doubled and tripled down on DJ, so no luck down that road for people wanting him fired. Told the reporters to ask the players what they think if they want to know more about his (positive) impact.

Definitly came across as a proud papa… Sounded very high on Kleven as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting discussion

-- A lot of people on HF as well .e

There are a lot of Brann Fans .. so this won't go down easy. I think Brannstrom vastly improved his play at the NHL level over the past season and 1/2.
He is much better defending and he is poised with the puck and can pass it well. We have to see how Kleven does and how much seasoning he might need. I am hoping he is can hold a spot within a year .. lots of things can happen, injuries .. player movement one way or another that can change that.

I think Brannstrom and Holden should at least split time once Chych gets comfortable with the systems and I don't mid the decision to use Holden to help with that. It should not take long as I don't think there is a lot of complexity there and Chych is a smart player. I'd really like to get a look at Kleven in the NHL .. I suspect he'll need to gain some trust to get put in there when he arrives. (inside a couple of weeks?) .

I would try to keep Brannstrom but his value won't get much better if he is a #6/7 platoon player. My guess is he gets traded

Edit:
Brannstrom is back in and according to what's being put out, on the right side.. Have to see if that holds.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting discussion

I don't think anyone disagrees that he's buried on the depth chart on the left side, but I'd have him in over Holden who looks done these days imo.

I think he's got one more year with us before Kleven is ready, as a bit of an aside, Kleven kind of reminds me of Methot, big physical guy who can skate, just got to learn how to throw some hip checks and we're golden.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m high on Klevin but he really needs to learn to play a more controlled game as a pro. I’m not talking about physical play, I am referring to his tendency to “roam” like he does at UND. I’d be pleasantly shocked if Klevin didn’t need a full season in Belleville.

Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m high on Klevin but he really needs to learn to play a more controlled game as a pro. I’m not talking about physical play, I am referring to his tendency to “roam” like he does at UND. I’d be pleasantly shocked if Klevin didn’t need a full season in Belleville.
I think its more about focus with him from what I have seen. Reds should help. I am optimistic that by next TDL he'll be a regular

Reactions: Icelevel

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I told you guys Brannstrom was going to be the one on the right side. Why does nobody listen to me?

Here's another quick take: Brannstrom is going to be on the team next season too.

Edit: I'd almost bet money these will be our pairings:

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Sanderson JBD

Reactions: bicboi64

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I told you guys Brannstrom was going to be the one on the right side. Why does nobody listen to me?

Here's another quick take: Brannstrom is going to be on the team next season too.
Nobody listens to anybody around here. It's chaos and it's great!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looks to be pretty fluid

This makes way more sense to me but I think its going to continue to settle itself out.
I think Sanderson Chychrun would be the best... Either on the right. I'd rather Zub with Chabot.
If they play Chychrun Brannstrom tonight .. it won't last long.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Edit: I'd almost bet money these will be our pairings:

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Sanderson JBD

It’s one practice. DJ even said with some more time they plan to work Chychrun into the top 4. I personally don’t see Brannstrom impressing enough on the right side that it becomes a permanent long term solution.

This is the equivalent of Holden playing in NY and posters proclaiming they were right about Brannstrom.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If we're going with Chabot-Sanderson-Chychrun down the left side stick him with Chychrun. Why is Brannstrom the one d-man DJ can't stand to play on his offside, which he actually prefers? Maybe that could get his offensive game going.
Brannstrom would get trucked all night long on his off side because he isn't elusive enough. You need to be either big or a very good skater to not get hammered by the forecheck all night or hemmed in because you're just wrapping it behind the net to your D partner for him to deal with under pressure.

A fast and physical team would exploit his inability to elude the forecheck on his off side. Someone like Tom Wilson for example would have Brannstrom in some really vulnerable positions if they got that matchup.

This is why DJ hasn't been willing to play him on that side. For a small dman who isn't known for his skating it could end very badly.

Agreed. I'm surprised everyone has Kleven penciled in so quickly. I know PD said it but with Brannstrom's progression I'd much rather him anchoring the 3rd LD spot next to someone like Hamonic next year. This is a safer bet while Kleven marinades in BVille. We have the luxury of riches on D now, let's take advantage of that. Kleven is not someone to me who is exceptional enough to deviate from our typical development path for D.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom would get trucked all night long on his off side because he isn't elusive enough. You need to be either big or a very good skater to not get hammered by the forecheck all night or hemmed in because you're just wrapping it behind the net to your D partner for him to deal with under pressure.

A fast and physical team would exploit his inability to elude the forecheck on his off side. Someone like Tom Wilson for example would have Brannstrom in some really vulnerable positions if they got that matchup.

This is why DJ hasn't been willing to play him on that side. For a small dman who isn't known for his skating it could end very badly.

Agreed. I'm surprised everyone has Kleven penciled in so quickly. I know PD said it but with Brannstrom's progression I'd much rather him anchoring the 3rd LD spot next to someone like Hamonic next year. This is a safer bet while Kleven marinades in BVille. We have the luxury of riches on D now, let's take advantage of that. Kleven is not someone to me who is exceptional enough to deviate from our typical development path for D.

Brannstrom's reach doesn't help him either. He is also notably weaker on his backhand. We'll see what happens. At this point I am looking at it as an option but not a good one.

Kleven will definitely see some action this year and we can expect him needing games in Belleville... have to see how he does from there. Everyone here is just guessing at this point.

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think everyone needs to hit the brakes on Kleven a little bit. He's closer to JBD than he is to Sanderson, in terms of NHL readiness. He probably won't be a factor until 2024/25, at the earliest.

Big defenseman without high-end talent (Kleven is not Seider) almost always need time to adjust in the pros. They can't simply get by because of their size at the NHL level, like they were able to in the NCAA of CHL.

Scott Mayfield, for example, made the NHL in a 3rd pairing role at 24, after playing 223 AHL games. Methot himself played 195 AHL games before making the jump.

And I like Methot, but this obsession with Brannstrom's size is bizarre. No, he's probably not going to be in a top 6 on a top-end cup contender. But the guy has proven he's a fine bottom-pairing defenseman on an average team. He'll comfortably play 500+ games at the NHL level.

In that Twitter thread, someone brought up Joe Corvo, and Methot responded that Corvo was a gym rat and 210 lbs. So? Joe Corvo went out of his way to avoid contact and had no interest in actually playing defense. He's so dug in now he'd probably argue that Brian Lee was better because he was 6 feet tall.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Seems the organization didn't agree with most posters here on Brannstrom bringing in another top 4 in Chychrun.
I don’t think a single poster said we were set on D lol.

He’s not playing in Ottawa full time next season. Absolutely no way. He will be Belleville

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

That’s just immaturity and trying to do too much. Should be easy to correct

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Looks to be pretty fluid

This makes way more sense to me but I think its going to continue to settle itself out.
I think Sanderson Chychrun would be the best... Either on the right. I'd rather Zub with Chabot.
If they play Chychrun Brannstrom tonight .. it won't last long.

Well, I'd say this is a good problem to have

Reactions: Dionysus

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Interesting discussion

-- A lot of people on HF as well .e

There are a lot of Brann Fans .. so this won't go down easy. I think Brannstrom vastly improved his play at the NHL level over the past season and 1/2.
He is much better defending and he is poised with the puck and can pass it well. We have to see how Kleven does and how much seasoning he might need. I am hoping he is can hold a spot within a year .. lots of things can happen, injuries .. player movement one way or another that can change that.

I think Brannstrom and Holden should at least split time once Chych gets comfortable with the systems and I don't mid the decision to use Holden to help with that. It should not take long as I don't think there is a lot of complexity there and Chych is a smart player. I'd really like to get a look at Kleven in the NHL .. I suspect he'll need to gain some trust to get put in there when he arrives. (inside a couple of weeks?) .

I would try to keep Brannstrom but his value won't get much better if he is a #6/7 platoon player. My guess is he gets traded

Edit:
Brannstrom is back in and according to what's being put out, on the right side.. Have to see if that holds.

lmao meth has always hated Brann :( That tweet on his height seemed unnecessary

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hamonic/Holden should be the only D rotating in/out of lineup. Branny should be permanent and would argue JBD would be better option than Hamonic/Holden and we should have him in lineup now to help prepare for next year. Dont see why we wouldn’t trade atleast one of Hamonic/Holden at deadline.
Definitely not Hamonic out.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think anyone disagrees that he's buried on the depth chart on the left side, but I'd have him in over Holden who looks done these days imo.

I think he's got one more year with us before Kleven is ready, as a bit of an aside, Kleven kind of reminds me of Methot, big physical guy who can skate, just got to learn how to throw some hip checks and we're golden.
He looks really slow right now. I think the 4 games in 5 nights for a guy his age was probably alot. They are probably going to rotate in and out of the line up but Brannstrom should absolutely get a chance. He has been noticeably better than Holden.

Kleven is going to need some time in the AHL get adjusted to pro and develop that side of his game. Brannstrom should absolutely be back next year. The sens have all the leverage. I maintain a 3 year 3 million dollar deal is good for both him and the organization.

Now if this works... Whoa baby the sens will be cooking. I havent ever really liked Chabot and Zub. Zub doesnt seem to play his best with Chabot. Brann Zub has been really solid.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If we're going with Chabot-Sanderson-Chychrun down the left side stick him with Chychrun. Why is Brannstrom the one d-man DJ can't stand to play on his offside, which he actually prefers? Maybe that could get his offensive game going.
He prefers it for the offensive zone, he is not good on his offside in the D zone.

Ad

Latest posts

Ad

Ad