Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brannstrom's time to shine. Now or never.

I think he's out anyway with the bigger and tougher D that prevails in the NHL these days. But we have seen Brannstrom exhibit some grit. Let's see how this goes; he's never had a partner as good as Chychrun before.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If we're going with Chabot-Sanderson-Chychrun down the left side stick him with Chychrun. Why is Brannstrom the one d-man DJ can't stand to play on his offside, which he actually prefers? Maybe that could get his offensive game going.

Nah man, doing that would put Branny in the best position to succeed and we can't have that.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Brannstrom's reach doesn't help him either. He is also notably weaker on his backhand. We'll see what happens. At this point I am looking at it as an option but not a good one.

Kleven will definitely see some action this year and we can expect him needing games in Belleville... have to see how he does from there. Everyone here is just guessing at this point.
Exactly. The reach is a big factor in circumstances where you're feeling pressure on your off side. Sanderson for example has good reach and a very good turn and first step. This allows that type of player to elude pressure and ideally get to the forehand for a proper transition pass and not just back hand it out high and off the glass, or even worse, wrap it behind the net to his D partner who ends up under pressure himself.

Brannstrom wont excel at this imo and will constantly find himself hemmed in when retrieving dump and chase plays on his off side.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
He's played with Chabot a few times, but not for a full game at least that I recall

Thanks.
I just jumped aboard with Timmy, so I had no idea about defense pairings before that.
I think they should play him with all three (6, 72, 85) before giving up on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After watching that Rangers game I really liked the pairings & Chychrun seemed to fit real nicely with Holden an experienced D who lets him roam. Just like Zub allows Chabot to roam & Hamonic allows Sanderson to take off anytime he wants to, 3 good pairings.

Kleven IMO will be a better version of Holden when ever he becomes NHL ready & they just need to find a better version of Hamonic to play with Sanderson in the future. I expect that JBD should be part of this team next season & Thomson could be the guy that gets moved to improve a spot or to add more picks given they lost a few lately.

Reactions: PlayItAgain

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
After watching that Rangers game I really liked the pairings & Chychrun seemed to fit real nicely with Holden an experienced D who lets him roam. Just like Zub allows Chabot to roam & Hamonic allows Sanderson to take off anytime he wants to, 3 good pairings.

Kleven IMO will be a better version of Holden when ever he becomes NHL ready & they just need to find a better version of Hamonic to play with Sanderson in the future. I expect that JBD should be part of this team next season & Thomson could be the guy that gets moved to improve a spot or to add more picks given they lost a few lately.

I don’t know. When watching the Rangers game I thought Chychrun got caught multiple times. Holden wasn’t really able to cover for him when he activated in the O zone (forwards did a bad job of it as well).

Holden has lost a step or two. He’s not an NHL player anymore.

Reactions: bert
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
@Methot

1677985298161.jpeg

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
York isn't wrong, with Chabot, Sanderson and Chychrun ahead oh him there isn't much room for Brannstrom to play in a role he'd thrive in, that's not an indictment on Brannstrom but it will be tough for him to grow as a player here.

I'd still keep him for next year but we will likely look to move him soon,

He's wrong, superfan Lalime Martian is wrong, Methot is dead wrong and you're wrong too. Hope this helps!

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
York isn't wrong, with Chabot, Sanderson and Chychrun ahead oh him there isn't much room for Brannstrom to play in a role he'd thrive in, that's not an indictment on Brannstrom but it will be tough for him to grow as a player here.

I'd still keep him for next year but we will likely look to move him soon,
He's wrong and his logic makes no sense based on the situation. I doubt he has seriously analyzed it. The core of his argument is that Brannstrom is an offensive defenseman who is being held back from playing offensively by a lack of opportunity (or will be). That's only true if you think he's being held back minutes-wise or opportunity-wise AND that such a situation would be remedied elsewhere. Consider:

Brannstrom is 23 and playing in the NHL, most guys are still in college or the AHL. So he isn't being held back from NHL playing time since he's playing a regular shift and isn't being healthy scratched.

Is an extra shift or two 5v5 on another team REALLY going to make all the difference? Unless you think he should be getting 19+ minutes a game, he's playing exactly what he should be playing. While his advanced metrics , giveaway/takeaways, hits, blocks, etc.. have all improved year on year, his play is not compelling a promotion either. Same goes for the powerplay. If he can't generate offense 5v5 he shouldn't be on a PP on any team regardless, so giving him more opportunity there isn't warranted.

What about another team? While another team might be less deep than Ottawa will be next season, giving him a few extra, unwarranted, minutes isn't going to make him a better player. Since he isn't displacing anyone in Ottawa with his play, he's likely getting as many minutes (or close to it) no matter what team he plays on.

What about next season on Ottawa, won't he be displaced? If we look forward, there is 4 NHL defensemen in Ottawa who will likely command more ice time than Brannstrom. That said, his role is unlikely to change since he has very little experienced competition on the bottom pairing. Kleven, JBD, and Thomson are all very inexperienced and Ottawa doesn't have the cap space for competition to be brought in to displace him. There is also the potential to play right side in the top-4 with Chychrun. That's about as good an opportunity that exists for a guy to prove he is worth extra icetime.

Maybe in a year or two there might be reason to think he's facing too much competition for top-4 ice time, but in order for that to be true, he has to be able to show it on the bottom pairing first, which he hasn't really done. All he has shown is competence, not excellence. If, next season he puts up some very respectable numbers on the bottom pairing but depth prevents moving him up, or there is some serious competition on the bottom pairing which threatens to put him in the press box (which is below the quality of his play), I could see an argument that he is being held back, but right now I think he's being appropriately used.

Ad

Ad

Ad