Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He needs to be traded. He's an offensive defenceman being asked to play a safer game than he should be, because of where he's at on the depth chart. We should be going after a more defensive guy to replace him, and give Brann the opportunity to be more than a 6D.

If he's worthless I'd keep him though. He's better than Holden.

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's our best option as a #5 so I'd keep him. He'll be cheap to keep and more effective and room to grow comapred to Holden and Hamonic

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that they allow Holden to walk at the end of this season, I would be surprised if he is re-signed although you never know, they like him. Hamonic on the other hand I expect will be re-signed at a cheaper contract. It also wouldn't surpise me if Chychrun plays RD with Chabot & they keep Hamonic & Sanderson together for next yr. I think one of Sanderson or Chychrun will play the right side & I expect it will be Chychrun.

That would leave Zub with whoever they decide to play the 3rd pairing LD which I expect will be Kleven's whenever he is NHL ready. The other option would be to try Sanderson with Zub but I'm not sure that would work. I also expect that JBD will be the 7th D to start next yr. They are accumulating some assets which they could use at some point to bring in another very good RD. Should be interesting now as they slowly fill each position with long term young players.

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Hamonic
Kleven - Zub/JBD

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The Branny Haters thank you, DJ Smith, for scratching Erik last night and giving them so much ammunition to continue bashing a dman who's been objectively great the last few months and continues his improvement.

But he's small and must be given away at all cost lol.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He spoke pretty highly of his progression on the defense side. I'm not sure I agree with how you interpreted the answer.
Fair enough. He took a long breath before he spoke, which to me felt like a tell about how they view Brannstrom. Maybe he just wanted to collect his thoughts but it didn't feel to me like a great sign of confidence in his place on the team.

Reactions: Senovision

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He spoke pretty highly of his progression on the defense side. I'm not sure I agree with how you interpreted the answer.
Very strange conclusion to come to given the content. But I mean that shouldnt be much of a surprise.

Fair enough. He took a long breath before he spoke, which to me felt like a tell about how they view Brannstrom. Maybe he just wanted to collect his thoughts but it didn't feel to me like a great sign of confidence in his place on the team.
So you took more from a pause than the actual content?

Reactions: Bileur

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Dorion acknowledged how good his defensive play has been. Obviously hinted at disappointment with his offensive game. Yeah, I don’t think his future is with this team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dorion acknowledged how good his defensive play has been. Obviously hinted at disappointment with his offensive game. Yeah, I don’t think his future is with this team.
If he is willing to sign at the right number why not? They should offer him a 3 year 1 million per deal. He gets some security and he fits into the teams future moving forward.

Reactions: Bileur

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If we're going with Chabot-Sanderson-Chychrun down the left side stick him with Chychrun. Why is Brannstrom the one d-man DJ can't stand to play on his offside, which he actually prefers? Maybe that could get his offensive game going.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
If he is willing to sign at the right number why not? They should offer him a 3 year 1 million per deal. He gets some security and he fits into the teams future moving forward.

I definitely agree. I am not confident that it will happen though. Brannstrom will want a raise and he should get one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I definitely agree. I am not confident that it will happen though. Brannstrom will want a raise and he should get one.
Based on what? His usage and production dont justify it. He is a borderline NHL player, if I am him I look for some security in the league. Which will give him more opportunity to grow. No one wants a bottom pair d man that is undersized that isnt willing to sign a contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With what leverage? He's an RFA and not good enough to get an offer sheet, not important enough to hold out.

I could see him wanting to bet on himself and just sign the QO and try and get more leverage through his play next year, but if we offer him a deal that walks him to UFA at a low salary, I could see him taking it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Very strange conclusion to come to given the content. But I mean that shouldnt be much of a surprise.

When you have a pause that long, it kind of belies what you're about to say next. And also, what else would he say? **long pause** "Brannstrom is garbage and we're hoping to be done with his shit as soon as the season is over"??? He's not gonna sewer the guy publicly even if he thinks he's a bad player. So yes, the very pregnant pause he took before he spoke and the generic nature of the comments made me think he doesn't see a future for the guy on the team. You can get a lot from the subtleties of the way someone speaks without having to listen to the words they're saying, which in the case of hockey professionals is usually pretty bland and non-descript.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When you have a pause that long, it kind of belies what you're about to say next. And also, what else would he say? **long pause** "Brannstrom is garbage and we're hoping to be done with his shit as soon as the season is over"??? He's not gonna sewer the guy publicly even if he thinks he's a bad player. So yes, the very pregnant pause he took before he spoke and the generic nature of the comments made me think he doesn't see a future for the guy on the team. You can get a lot from the subtleties of the way someone speaks without having to listen to the words they're saying, which in the case of hockey professionals is usually pretty bland and non-descript.
What interview are you talking about, because I just listened to the post trade deadline availability and there really wasn't any notable pause, he waited until Ian finished his question and jumped in with his answer, I mean it had Dorion's typical cadence but no unatural pauses imo.

Reactions: bert and Bileur

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

He also had his fingers crossed behind his back while answering.

Brann has been great. If he walks we're going to regret it

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Regardless of how you feel about Brannstrom, you have to consider the following:

1. Hamonic isn't returning next season for a price we can afford.
2. Holden is likely done too.
3. We're definitely going to continue to see a pairing of Chabot - Zub
4. Even if you don't like Brannstrom, our cap situation requires us to have a cheap, experienced, defenseman, which is hard to find.
5. If Chabot, Chychrun, and Sanderson stay on the left sides, you're likely stuck playing JBD and Thomson. If you move one to the right, then you're free to keep Brannstrom to give the pairing experience.
6. If you add Kleven to the team and displace Brannstrom, you're now stuck playing two rookies on your third pairing.
7. If someone in your top-4 gets hurt, you need someone who can fill in.

I know some fans aren't convinced Brannstrom is a long-term solution, but at some point it just makes sense. The only alternative I see is to flip him for a RHD of similar experience, age, performance, and contract...but at that point, why not just try to move him to RHD?

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Sanderson
Brannstrom JBD/Thomson

Ex: Kleven/Thomson/JBD

or

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Sanderson JBD/Thomson

or

Chabot Zub
Chychrun Sanderson
Kleven Brannstrom

I just don't see this as the most likely roster:

Chabot Zub
Chychrun JBD
Sanderson Thomson
Ex: Brannstrom/Kleven

Personally, I like the second option, since we can basically prepare for it this season and then simply switch out Hamonic for JBD.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's about roles & holden plays a certain role as does Hamonic that most fans don't appreciate. While I doubt Holden is back after this season I think they will re-sign Hamonic at a cheaper price. Why were both in the lineup against the NYR, but Brann was not? Was he injured? I was out of the country & don't know.
Holden was in because he communicates really well and Chychrun hadn’t even skated with the team. I expect and hope it will be Brannstrom Hamonic starting if not tomorrow then Monday at the latest. I’ve been hard on Brannstrom but he is currently much better than Holden

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Holden was in because he communicates really well and Chychrun hadn’t even skated with the team. I expect and hope it will be Brannstrom Hamonic starting if not tomorrow then Monday at the latest. I’ve been hard on Brannstrom but he is currently much better than Holden
Yup. Holden also has the most experience playing his off side on RD.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I kinda hope we can keep Hammy on a decent 1 year deal ,as he has been a good in his role...But Iam sure he will get more than we would be willing to offer

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad