Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Gordon Wilson just can't help himself.

Talking about Sanderaon being out and Branny playing well but has to add, "He had a few misteps against Boston".

No sh!t. Everyone has a few misteps every game.
Two missteps that cost the game. Not like it isn't true

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Sanderson has also cost us a game at times, and so has Chabot. I don't think we need to make them pariahs and trade them based on human mistakes. They all need to get better and I believe they all will. Branny has taken a big step this season.

Reactions: Bileur

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sanderson has also cost us a game at times, and so has Chabot. I don't think we need to make them pariahs and trade them based on human mistakes. They all need to get better and I believe they all will. Branny has taken a big step this season.
I'm just talking about the Bruins game!

I agree, I am encouraged by his progress this year. But the Bruins game, it isn't like Batherson helped him out on the 1st Pasternak goal either lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The first Pasternak goal was Zaitsevs side of the ice, Zaitsev floated all the way over to the left faceoff dot, seems like there was confusion over whether he should be playing man or zone there, DeBrincat got dummied by McAvoy as Brannstrom was moving over to his spot but sees Zaitsev already there, and he recognized the most dangerous man is now McAvoy and tried to pressure him. Batherson can plainly see Brannstrom ahead of him, but keeps tracking to the same space, I'm not saying Brannstrom played it perfectly, he didn't, but to put that goal on him is overlooking a lot of other issues.that lead to him being in an unenviable situation.

The second one he let Pasta get on the wrong side of him while the team was pressuring for offense, looks like he misread that Kelly was going to stick with Pasta when Zub pinched, but it was ill advised either way.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The first Pasternak goal was Zaitsevs side of the ice, Zaitsev floated all the way over to the left faceoff dot, seems like there was confusion over whether he should be playing man or zone there, DeBrincat got dummied by McAvoy as Brannstrom was moving over to his spot but sees Zaitsev already there, and he recognized the most dangerous man is now McAvoy and tried to pressure him. Batherson can plainly see Brannstrom ahead of him, but keeps tracking to the same space, I'm not saying Brannstrom played it perfectly, he didn't, but to put that goal on him is overlooking a lot of other issues.that lead to him being in an unenviable situation.

The second one he let Pasta get on the wrong side of him while the team was pressuring for offense, looks like he misread that Kelly was going to stick with Pasta when Zub pinched, but it was ill advised either way.
Of course, open to interpretation. But a simple shoulder check by either Batherson or Brannstrom would have been great there. A Hart candidate is on the ice, and I know Batherson puck watches like crazy, but in general this team gets itself into trouble when they puck watch

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Of course, open to interpretation. But a simple shoulder check by either Batherson or Brannstrom would have been great there. A Hart candidate is on the ice, and I know Batherson puck watches like crazy, but in general this team gets itself into trouble when they puck watch
Regardless, to say Branny cost the team the game is ridiculous.

There isn't 1 player responsible for losing any game and the main point it Wilson wouldn't be pointing those plays out about anyone else.

Reactions: NB613

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
The amount of times that Holden and Hamonic were out of position in the D-zone during zone entries and then around the net was mind boggling. They were always tracking the wrong person and pinching at wrong time. They both were exposed much more than any other sens’ players.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The amount of times that Holden and Hamonic were out of position in the D-zone during zone entries and then around the net was mind boggling. They were always tracking the wrong person and pinching at wrong time. They both were exposed much more than any other sens’ players.
We need someone like…..zaitsev?
;)
Yeah seriously, we need to upgrade that d. Only been working on it half a decade though. Give Pierre a chance

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seems the organization didn't agree with most posters here on Brannstrom bringing in another top 4 in Chychrun.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Seems the organization didn't agree with most posters here on Brannstrom bringing in another top 4 in Chychrun.

Not sure how bringing in another top 4 D says anything about Brannstrom when this board, and Sens fans in general, unanimously agreed that the Sens needed to add a top 4 D and have agreed on that for several years.

Huge stretch there.

Brannstrom has clearly been better than Holden this season, particularly in the last few games, and should draw back into the lineup soon.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not sure how bringing in another top 4 D says anything about Brannstrom when this board, and Sens fans in general, unanimously agreed that the Sens needed to add a top 4 D and have agreed on that for several years.

Huge stretch there.

Brannstrom has clearly been better than Holden this season, particularly in the last few games, and should draw back into the lineup soon.
It's about roles & holden plays a certain role as does Hamonic that most fans don't appreciate. While I doubt Holden is back after this season I think they will re-sign Hamonic at a cheaper price. Why were both in the lineup against the NYR, but Brann was not? Was he injured? I was out of the country & don't know.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It's about roles & holden plays a certain role as does Hamonic that most fans don't appreciate. While I doubt Holden is back after this season I think they will re-sign Hamonic at a cheaper price. Why were both in the lineup against the NYR, but Brann was not? Was he injured? I was out of the country & don't know.

They didn’t specifically address it. DJ said he wanted to ease Chychrun into the lineup.

Guys on TSN 1200 suggested part of it was Holden’s experience making it easy to mesh with a new player without the benefit of practice and the fact that he’s been playing more RD, allowing JC to play left side.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Out of country. Ah. That explains your absence. Figured you'd be drooling over 220 pound Chychrun. Hope you got some sun.

I'm not a fan of Holden over Hamonic. But you know, you never know what's happening behind the scenes. Brannstrom might be nursing something. Who knows.

Reactions: aragorn

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Isn't Brann fairly comfortable playing the right side? Holden needs out of this lineup ASAP.
Hamonic/Holden should be the only D rotating in/out of lineup. Branny should be permanent and would argue JBD would be better option than Hamonic/Holden and we should have him in lineup now to help prepare for next year. Dont see why we wouldn’t trade atleast one of Hamonic/Holden at deadline.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hamonic/Holden should be the only D rotating in/out of lineup. Branny should be permanent and would argue JBD would be better option than Hamonic/Holden and we should have him in lineup now to help prepare for next year. Dont see why we wouldn’t trade atleast one of Hamonic/Holden at deadline.
keep holden for depth incase we make the playoffs but he should not play every night

you can see he has slowed down a lot

Reactions: NB613

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Hamonic has been good this year. The anger of trading a 4th for him last year clouds people's judgement. But he's really no different than a guy like Luke Schenn, who was coveted by one of the top teams.

I expect Holden will sit out after Chychrun gets some practices on the right side, unless a matchup dictates more size.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right. But if you get past that, he's been good. He's a fine #5/6 (in terms of minutes) now that we have Chychrun. I'd actually look to re-sign him if he's willing to take ~$1M. And he might be since by all accounts he's not someone who likes to move teams or cities, and seems to fit in here.
No doubt, he's a decent 5th, problem is he's paid and played like a low end 4th.

It's always going to boil down to slotting. Play guys in roles they are well suited for and people generally won't complain.

Reactions: Bileur and Emrasie

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No doubt, he's a decent 5th, problem is he's paid and played like a low end 4th.

It's always going to boil down to slotting. Play guys in roles they are well suited for and people generally won't complain.

That's in the past now. Moving forward he'll be a 5/6 and making much less.

And he's been a fine placeholder that's done his part to help Sanderson. I really have no complaints about his play here, even though we did overpay to acquire him based on his salary. Think it's okay to separate the two. It's not his fault we traded a 3rd for him.

Reactions: GCK and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's in the past now. Moving forward he'll be a 5/6 and making much less.

And he's been a fine placeholder that's done his part to help Sanderson. I really have no complaints about his play here, even though we did overpay to acquire him based on his salary. Think it's okay to separate the two. It's not his fault we traded a 3rd for him.
We'll see, I don't mind keeping him around in the right role at the right price but I suspect JBD will replace him if he gets pushed to the third pair.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We'll see, I don't mind keeping him around in the right role at the right price but I suspect JBD will replace him if he gets pushed to the third pair.

You still need 8 defensemen to get through the season.

My guess is we re-sign Hamonic to a Holden-type deal and one of JBD/Thomson, whoever the org likes more, takes the #7 role and ends up playing 40-50 games next year. There are always injuries. The other guy, whoever the org likes less, gets flipped this summer and we recoup a 2nd/3rd since neither is making it through waivers.

Then you have someone like Larsson/Heatherington as your veteran injury call-up and Kleven as the guy who might get a look later in the season depending on his development.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You still need 8 defensemen to get through the season.

My guess is we re-sign Hamonic to a Holden-type deal and one of JBD/Thomson, whoever the org likes more, takes the #7 role and ends up playing 40-50 games next year. There are always injuries. The other guy, whoever the org likes less, gets flipped this summer and we recoup a 2nd/3rd since neither is making it through waivers.

Then you have someone like Larsson/Heatherington as your veteran injury call-up and Kleven as the guy who might get a look later in the season depending on his development.
Well both Thomson and JBD are waiver eligible, and I'm not convinced Hamonic will accept a 1 mil deal to be the extra Dman waiting for an injury.

Im ok with keeping him on if he does, I just think he's still considering himself a top 4 option somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad