Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If we can get a weegar I legit would play him with Chabot. And just roll three pairings almost evenly.
Not sure they could fit Weegar's $6.25 m caphit if they intend to sign Debrincat and an inexpensive 2nd goalie (to around $2 m ish). This is based on several (numerous) player/salary breakdowns that were posted in here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure they could fit Weegar's $6.25 m caphit if they intend to sign Debrincat and an inexpensive 2nd goalie (to around $2 m ish). This is based on several (numerous) player/salary breakdowns that were posted in here.
Yeah, Weegar even without getting an inexpensive second goalie likely means DeBrincat is gone.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some have suggested that Kleven will take Brannstrom's spot on the third line, but a thought occurred to me,

Kleven has been playing both sides in UND to give him his best shot at having a long NHL career, what if he plays with Brannstrom instead?

They could be really complimentary imo,

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah, Weegar even without getting an inexpensive second goalie likely means DeBrincat is gone.
Yes, next year's $83.5 m cap ceiling will be much tighter for the Senators than some seem to recognize. That assumes the cap hit will remain at the $83.5 m level per the last news. On that subject, the TDL is getting close so you'd think they will need to make a final decision (and announcement) soon.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Some have suggested that Kleven will take Brannstrom's spot on the third line, but a thought occurred to me,

Kleven has been playing both sides in UND to give him his best shot at having a long NHL career, what if he plays with Brannstrom instead?

Recent hype from Garrioch aside, I've always expected Kleven to need a year in the AHL. That said, maybe the team could try a game down the stretch with:

Chabot-Sanderson
Brannstrom-Zub
Kleven-Hamonic

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, next year's $83.5 m cap ceiling will be much tighter for the Senators than some seem to recognize. That assumes the cap hit will remain at the $83.5 m level per the last news. On that subject, the TDL is getting close so you'd think they will need to make a final decision (and announcement) soon.
So, I was trying to find when the cap is traditionally set, as the pandemic has completely blown my sense of time.

A quick google search found that at least in 2015, it wasn't officially set for the 2015-16 season until jun

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So, I was trying to find when the cap is traditionally set, as the pandemic has completely blown my sense of time.

A quick google search found that at least in 2015, it wasn't officially set for the 2015-16 season until jun
Yes , it’s usually at the BOG meetings in June. Other then the “it’s trending” this way periodic updates.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Recent hype from Garrioch aside, I've always expected Kleven to need a year in the AHL. That said, maybe the team could try a game down the stretch with:

Chabot-Sanderson
Brannstrom-Zub
Kleven-Hamonic
Agreed, he'll get some games to finish the year but likely play in the AHL next season,

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dont beleive we can either. But we are interested. If we get a decent right sided play I should have said

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes , it’s usually at the BOG meetings in June. Other then the “it’s trending” this way periodic updates.
That's what I thought, but some were talking about teams needing to know what it's going to be to make decisions at the trade deadline.

I assume in the summer, the PA will bargain a another transition because right now cap friendly is predicting to 87.5 in 24-25.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

Screenshot_20230220-124151.png

• Haha
Reactions: guyzeur and NB613

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's what I thought, but some were talking about teams needing to know what it's going to be to make decisions at the trade deadline.

I assume in the summer, the PA will bargain an another transition because right now cap friendly is predicting to 87.5 in 24-25.
I think we need to see how this Bally sports plays out, for the cap.
I don’t see teams finding anything out by March 3, even trending ideas, while under the 30 day bankruptcy protection atm for Bally.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
wonder what people will complain about now that he is putting up more points which seemed obvious he would do with more ice

• Love
Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Kleven - Zaitsev ***
Brannstrom - JBD
I know you are a guy that likes size, but Brannstrom is 23 and whenever he gets an opportunity to play more minutes for a bit of a stretch, he looks good doing it. He also looked quite good running pp1 last year while Chabot was out.

I know you like Kleven's size, but it's more likely he needs a year of seasoning

What I'd really like to see is the team move Chabot and as part of that pick up a decent top 4 Rd.

I'd run
Sanderson top 4 Rd
Brannstrom Zub
And I'm suggesting these pairs because Brannstrom Zub looks good together. That top 4 Rd return would be an obvious upgrade on Hamonic so I think it can work.

Sanderson will play the hard minutes defensively. Where does that leave Chabot as an 8aav D man? I'd much rather move him, save some cap to apply elsewhere and get out from the frustration of watching him lay eggs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I swear, Brannstrom must be the only Dman in the league that can average 24 mins a night for 3 games then follow that up as the lowest icetime among D with 15 mins the next
Larsson only played 11.

But this is likely a scenario where they manage ice over two games with the expectation that you need to win Sunday and you're not likely to win Monday

Zub and Hamonic saw more ice Monday. Bigger more physical bodies. And Brannstrom is relatively new to the increased load. Hard to play 23 back to back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Larsson only played 11.

But this is likely a scenario where they manage ice over two games with the expectation that you need to win Sunday and you're not likely to win Monday

Zub and Hamonic saw more ice Monday. Bigger more physical bodies. And Brannstrom is relatively new to the increased load. Hard to play 23 back to back.
Ah, I must have been looking at 5v5, my bad,

Looking now, Brannstrom was under 10 mins 5v5 while Larsson played 10:58 but Brannstrom was our top PK Dman (who'd have guessed he'd ever be doing that...) with 4:34 on the pk and got another 54 sec on the PP.

I actually though Brannstrom was handling the Bruins forwards pretty well, for the most part, but yeah, it's not an ideal matchup for him.

Edit: just took a look and Brannstrom leads all D in PK TOI over the last 5 games.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Thanks guys. I'm surprised it's that late given the potential impact for teams making moves at the TDL. But, it is what it is I suppose. In the past, maybe they have waited that long so that they can get a full season of revenue (ticket sale) numbers?

This year it could be the potential Bally bankruptcy as GJ pointed out.

It seems like that for fans viewing sports, it's growing more complicated with leagues giving broadcast rights to multiple companies. It's good for the league of course but more difficult for fans (imo). I guess I'm thankful that ESPN+ has the broadcast rights for NHL games and the regional blackout games are carried by MSG (Madison Square Gardens) in my area.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Kleven can play with Brannstrom, that'd be a cool experiment. I wanna see Kleven rough someone up if they push Brann off the puck

• Love
Reactions: NB613

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Kleven can play with Brannstrom, that'd be a cool experiment. I wanna see Kleven rough someone up if they push Brann off the puck
I doubt that happens, as Branny is not the best when on his backhand. Fine on his forehand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad