Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kind of defeats the purpose of a parody to include Parody in the twitter handle...
Elon's rule since so many people were creating accounts with blue check marks that were "impersonating" other users to make a point on Elon's other rules.. those accounts were banned and Elon instituted the need to indicate it was a parody account.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
TSN pregame show highlighting Brannstrom's defensive game, wouldn't think that was possible reading some posts about him here...
Funny enough I think he’s been pretty good tonight outside of a couple bad icings.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Brannstrom is a x10 better passer and playmaker than Mete and one of the best on the roster.

Nothing moves faster than the puck so having a good passing team is the most important thing in having a fast paced attacking team that can transition and maintain meaningful possession.

It is crazy people cannot see Brannstroms value on the ice just cuz he's small.
It’s got nothing to do with him being small, I just don’t see him having much of a positive impact on the ice.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Hamonic doesn't think, he just shoots, and that works for what he can do.

Brannstrom prefers to handle the puck and look for a pass, but that delay means the shooting lanes get shut down. I agree that he needs to start throwing some of those pucks on net. Too often he'll hold onto it and then either fire it into a defender or send it down below the net (which isn't a bad play, necessarily, but you're not going to score many that way).
Kind of looks like he is shooting for tips or rebounds. The tip shoots are the ones that miss the net, rebound shots seem to get blocked. Redden didn't have a big shot, but always was able to get the puck through to the net. Maybe Brann needs to work with Redden a bit, needs more practice. Maybe it's just experience.

Reactions: Emrasie

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't hate Brannstrom, language like that is unacceptable, I don't know him. I just don't think he is an NHL player, he is too weak, too small, gets pushed around & overwhelmed & doesn't skate well enough for the NHL. He is a liability in his own end all the time. I don't think JBD is that much better but slightly bigger & stronger & can handle the bigger players slightly better, same for Thomson. I think they need about 2 or 3 new defencemen.

Advanced stats and eye test say the opposite so we won't agree on that. Sure he is undersized but he is quick on the pucks and has great vision and breakout ability. He moves the puck really well which today, is also defense. His weakness is in front of the net or in physical battles along the boards. Not every player need to play the same way and have the same strengths and weaknesses

The "doesn't skate well enough for the NHL" is a really weird comment. He has proven many times this year that his skating ability has improved and that he is able to pull away from opponents

I don't think Brannstrom will be there long term as he will always be blocked by Chabot and Sanderson so at some point, he will ask for a trade or something. In the meantime, he just keeps progressing

Serious question : would you rather have Erik Gudbranson or Erik Brannstrom? (same salary) Josh Brown or Erik Brannstrom? (again, same salary)

Brannstrom has not scored a lot, but a forward we traded 3 picks for (including 7th overall) hasn't scored many goals either and he gets paid $6,400,000 versus $900,000.

Even worse, DeBrincat salary is 9.0 M$ this season...

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Advanced stats and eye test say the opposite so we won't agree on that. Sure he is undersized but he is quick on the pucks and has great vision and breakout ability. He moves the puck really well which today, is also defense. His weakness is in front of the net or in physical battles along the boards. Not every player need to play the same way and have the same strength and weakness

The "doesn't skate well enough for the NHL" is a really weird comment. He has proven many times this year that his skating ability has improved and that he is able to pull away from opponents

I don't think Brannstrom will be there long term as he will always be blocked by Chabot and Sanderson so at some point, he will ask for a trade or something. In the meantime, he just keeps progressing
Its slow, but he's developing. I look at other defenders as small as him and young as him, and we're doing alright with Branny. Get in a coach that can bring out more in him and we'll be in an even better spot.

Defenders take a long time to develop, and smaller ones even longer unless they have beyond exceptional skating. I can't imagine anyone taking some of the other sorry excuses we've had for defenders in the past over Brannstrom right now on the third pairing. Heck, he's not even used that much by DJ. He's literally 6th in ice time per game and finding an improvement on your 6th defender isn't going to solve our defensive woes

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brannstrom had a really solid game last night. I saw him win one particular one on one battle that was really impressive - it was the kind of battle he would have lost before. I wish he was a little more dynamic offensively, but his defensive zone coverage is much better, and his first pass out of the zone is really good.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm still on the fence when it comes to Brannstrom. I'll concede that his defense has been somewhat better than expected but I find it concerning that his above average puck handling ability translates to so little offense. He's going to need to put up more numbers or lose his job to a more physical defenseman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm still on the fence when it comes to Brannstrom. I'll concede that his defense has been somewhat better than expected but I find it concerning that his above average puck handling ability translates to so little offense. He's going to need to put up more numbers or lose his job to a more physical defenseman.
D men who put up points play the pp

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom is a x10 better passer and playmaker than Mete and one of the best on the roster.

Nothing moves faster than the puck so having a good passing team is the most important thing in having a fast paced attacking team that can transition and maintain meaningful possession.

It is crazy people cannot see Brannstroms value on the ice just cuz he's small.
That's not what's happening. You don't seem to be very objective about Branntsrom. He tries hard I'll give him that. He has a decent first pass but it's honestly nothing special. Unfortunately due to his physical limitations he is easy to play against. At the end of the day his shot is terrible and he doesn't create much if any offense other than when he breaks the puck out deep in his zone.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Everyone is so comfortable throwing out comparables and thoughts but have you looked at anything to back up this claim?

Mete has been BRUTAL on a dominant Leafs team. His possession metrics are putrid - there is really no comparable at all other than being smaller Dmen.
My father's who is a leaf fan who watches all their games has been happy with Mete. Him and Brannstrom are very comparable. Undersized bottom pair D men that are going to struggle to consistently stay in the lineup in this league. Brannstrom is definitely better with the puck, but Mete has way better feet. To me they're a wash. I've actually seen Mete create offense off the rush. Still waiting for Brännström to do it.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
My father's who is a leaf fan who watches all their games has been happy with Mete. Him and Brannstrom are very comparable. Undersized bottom pair D men that are going to struggle to consistently stay in the lineup in this league. Brannstrom is definitely better with the puck, but Mete has way better feet. To me they're a wash. I've actually seen Mete create offense off the rush. Still waiting for Brännström to do it.
No offense but not really a great argument. I have loads of friends and family who are Leaf fans and don't like him, but I am not going to use that as any valid reference point.

I think at this point the fact he isn't generating offence is now a big reason to rag on him. At the end of the day he is consistently in the positive as far as chances for/against and is playing a relatively quiet game of keeping guys to the outside, getting the puck and moving it.

He has been a very good 3rd pairing guy this year, not really anything to complain about.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No offense but not really a great argument. I have loads of friends and family who are Leaf fans and don't like him, but I am not going to use that as any valid reference point.

I think at this point the fact he isn't generating offence is now a big reason to rag on him. At the end of the day he is consistently in the positive as far as chances for/against and is playing a relatively quiet game of keeping guys to the outside, getting the puck and moving it.

He has been a very good 3rd pairing guy this year, not really anything to complain about.
Ok here is my other argument, I watch him and he has a very similar impact to Brannstrom as a leaf and when he was here. Neither are ideal in your top 6 and are probably best as a number 7 or 8. I dont want my third pairing D men to be that small and easy to play against. Contenders dont have undersized D men that dont contribute offense on their teams.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ok here is my other argument, I watch him and he has a very similar impact to Brannstrom as a leaf and when he was here. Neither are ideal in your top 6 and are probably best as a number 7 or 8. I dont want my third pairing D men to be that small and easy to play against. Contenders dont have undersized D men that dont contribute offense on their teams.
Well, that's fine and I can understand the undersized part but Mete is getting caved in every time he plays and Brannstrom is not.

Mete is by far the worst defender on the Leafs and the stats bear it out while Brannstrom has consistently been among the best defender for Ottawa. It's not even close as far as trying to compare them and one is on a bottom feeder and one is on one of the best teams in the league.

So fine to not want a smaller guy but Brannstrom has been fine as a pure defender.

Reactions: NB613

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well, that's fine and I can understand the undersized part but Mete is getting caved in every time he plays and Brannstrom is not.

Mete is by far the worst defender on the Leafs and the stats bear it out while Brannstrom has consistently been among the best defender for Ottawa. It's not even close as far as trying to compare them and one is on a bottom feeder and one is on one of the best teams in the league.

So fine to not want a smaller guy but Brannstrom has been fine as a pure defender.
Stats show Branny better generating offence worse defensively.
Mete more defensive zone starts, Branny more offensive starts.

It’s fine to just say one is better defensively , it’s not as bad as you think.

here they are compared at 5 on 5.

All strength

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

It’s fine to just say one is better defensively , when the stats show otherwise, and since you talked about comparisons, here they are compared at 5 on 5.

The link you posted literally shows Brannstrom having more defensive zone starts. Branny has 34 compared to Mete's 20.

Also shows the team allows less shots on net when Brannstrom plays compared to Mete

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
TSN pregame show highlighting Brannstrom's defensive game, wouldn't think that was possible reading some posts about him here...
He has come a long way in that front, and it has become the most consistent part of his game. He will always have some limitations and I am still trying to figure out what role he settles into... but his improvements defensively will go a long way to keeping him in the league. He is pretty good on the PK, too.

Reactions: NB613 and Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It’s fine to just say one is better defensively , when the stats show otherwise, and since you talked about comparisons,

All strengths compared.
Should probably use rate rather than count, here's an amended link.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The link you posted literally shows Brannstrom having more defensive zone starts. Branny has 34 compared to Mete's 20.

Also shows the team allows less shots on net when Brannstrom plays compared to Mete
Had counts not rates chosen, I reposted correct one,
The reason is, Mete has played 10 games, now it shows per 60 rates.
Recheck new links

Should probably use rate rather than count, here's an amended link.

It was supposed to be, the second one was right, first one changed on me when I changed other parameters check new links

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

It’s fine to just say one is better defensively , when the stats show otherwise, and since you talked about comparisons,

All strengths compared.
I guess I need to round out my advanced stats game but when I see Brann on for far more opportunities for than against, specifically compared to all the D on the Senators I think that means he is doing quite well.

The team, for some reason, doesn't score when he is on the ice but not sure I can pin that on him and then he would have more points with a higher shooting percentage - save percentage for us working against him as well?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I guess I need to round out my advanced stats game but when I see Brann on for far more opportunities for than against, specifically compared to all the D on the Senators I think that means he is doing quite well.

The team, for some reason, doesn't score when he is on the ice but not sure I can pin that on him and then he would have more points with a higher shooting percentage - save percentage for us working against him as well?
If you want to see relative to teammates, in the “rates” box choose relative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad