Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's been surprisingly good defensively and surprisingly ineffective offensively.

Brannstrom is basically a better version of Victor Mete at this point. Performing well in a bottom pairing role.
As long as he’s one of the best 6 in the org then I’m cool.

Looks like he actually forces forwards to to the outside and gets them to shoot from there. quite often while his fellow d man struggle with that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
As long as he’s one of the best 6 in the org then I’m cool.

Looks like he actually forces forwards to to the outside and gets them to shoot from there. quite often while his fellow d man struggle with that.

Interesting, when clicking it also shows another model (not that I am sold on any of them really - but when a bunch of them show similar traits I guess that is better?) which is less complimentary but shows he doing just fine.

At any rate, he won't be the stud people hoped for but he isn't nearly as bad as many suggest either and as a young D I feel he has loads of room to improve. He just turned 23 and doesn't even have 2 full seasons worth of NHL games yet.

Both his defensive awareness and his offensive production can still take big jumps.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, improving his shot seems like something that is feasible. It would be good if he can. Brannstrom is a player that doesn't have all of the elements to be a good defender, but he has some. I think some just can't get past the "he is small, and can get hit by a bigger player" stigma though. He's definitely a polarizing player in here.
His main defensive problem is that he can’t box out which means he has to front players which is somethings he does quite poorly. He is also really bad at controlling the stick of the player he is engaged with. He doesn’t use his body position very well in board battles. All our D have some flaws defensively but not nearly as many.

Watch Sanderson on board battles, he manages to somehow almost always get his body betwen the player and puck.

Watch JBD box out early before the opposing player establishes position and watch how he usually controls the opponent’s stick when engaged.

Neither Sanderson or JBD are visibly stronger than Brannstrom they are just better at using technique to defend.

Once Brannstrom does get the puck he usually does something good with it but that’s not enough.

We thinking Branny get's another 1 year extension this summer? A 2M prove-more-of-it contract?
I don’t see him getting much of a raise if he is resigned. He could take the team to arbitration but his production isn’t getting him close to 2M.

Reactions: bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He had so much more swagger in the beginning of the season. looks like DJ beat it out of him.

Brassard playing on the PP ahead of Brann is puke level coaching awareness.
Everything is DJs fault. Did you see Brannstrom trying to contain Goodrow in front of the net on the 2nd goal. It’s comical.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Everything is DJs fault. Did you see Brannstrom trying to contain Goodrow in front of the net on the 2nd goal. It’s comical.

Brannstrom would probably flourish under a new coach

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

yes brann is not perfect but he is still young and shown he can do a lot of very important things very effectively, let us hope he develops on the negatives and becomes an even better player. however even considering the negatives, you are willfully blind if you cannot see that he positively facilitates team play on this roster.

Look at what Chabot was doing on the shift, look at Hamonic on any given shift, that is comical as well. Picking on Brannstrom right now is like picking on anyone on this roster. Low hanging fruit, they all suck.

But when a player goes from the showing the confidence Brann was in the beginning of the season to right now, absolutly i look at the coach, especially when he plays scrubs like Brassard on the 2nd powerplay of an NHL team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

yes brann is not perfect but he is still young and shown he can do a lot of very important things very effectively, let us hope he develops on the negatives and becomes an even better player. however even considering the negatives, you are willfully blind if you cannot see that he positively facilitates team play on this roster.

Look at what Chabot was doing on the shift, look at Hamonic on any given shift, that is comical as well. Picking on Brannstrom right now is like picking on anyone on this roster. Low hanging fruit, they all suck.

But when a player goes from the showing the confidence Brann was in the beginning of the season to right now, absolutly i look at the coach, especially when he plays scrubs like Brassard on the 2nd powerplay of an NHL team.

LOL. Pinning the second goal on Brannstrom is one of the craziest takes ever. I understand that he didn't fully tie up the stick on the forward in front... buuuut. The dude broke up a 2-on-1, only to have his teammates cough up the puck. Brannstrom gets it back and then once again someone else coughs it up.

He played to his strengths perfectly in that shift and by the time Goodrow scored the puck should have been in the Rangers end for the last 20 seconds. That goals was on pretty much anyone else on the ice in red, but not Brannstrom.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I mean he has no value. I'd do this deal 10 times out of 10. Islanders won't though.
Yes, have to agree. Islanders are doing pretty well this year. They are 2nd in the Metro and 4th in the Conference. Got to think they don't want to mess with their defense given those circumstances.

Some Islander fans seem to think they will resign Mayfield unless he is looking for a very large raise. Got to wonder if the Senators would sign him if that were the case. Again, many Islander fans see him as a 2nd/3rd pair tweener more so than a solid, good 2nd pair defender.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Brannstrom’s main strength is carrying the puck out of the zone. At the start of the season I sung his praises because he was doing it on a regular basis and his positives were outweighing his negatives. He is no longer on that side of the ledger. Kelly, Batherson, Holden, Brassard, Joseph and Debrincat are also not outplaying the negatives. Sanderson and Pinto’s game had slipped but they are too green to hold it against them. Stu, Chabot, Hamonic, Watson and Motte have had bad periods as well. Essentially only Brady, Giroux, Zub, Kastelic have been consistent positives since the season started.

LOL. Pinning the second goal on Brannstrom is one of the craziest takes ever. I understand that he didn't fully tie up the stick on the forward in front... buuuut. The dude broke up a 2-on-1, only to have his teammates cough up the puck. Brannstrom gets it back and then once again someone else coughs it up.

He played to his strengths perfectly in that shift and by the time Goodrow scored the puck should have been in the Rangers end for the last 20 seconds. That goals was on pretty much anyone else on the ice in red, but not Brannstrom.
Did anyone lay the blame squarely on Brannstrom. I posted how well he played the 2 on 1.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

It’s not enough to make one great play. You have make several in a row to bail out your teammates.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You are taking on SweaterRed tones with Brann lately...jeesh.
Not at all. He’s one of 3 D that need to be replaced or pushed down (4 now that player 22 is back). We have 3 D who should be everyday top 6 D on a contender.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not at all. He’s one of 3 D that need to be replaced or pushed down (4 now that player 22 is back). We have 3 D who should be everyday top 6 D on a contender.
He’s currently pushed down. He’s been fine for a bottom pairing role. Which is where he belongs.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
K, maybe me but seems to get a lot of focus for our 2nd youngest D and who (according to the stats I am seeing) has decent advanced metrics.

I think he needs to start getting some points though. He seems like his entire game has slowed down. He never comes out of our zone with speed anymore.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s currently pushed down. He’s been fine for a bottom pairing role. Which is where he belongs.
He’s not any more fine than Holden and he’s not even as useful as Hamonic. He doesn’t accomplish anything. If he was playing like he did at the start of the year he’d be an asset to the team.

• Haha
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You are taking on SweaterRed tones with Brann lately...jeesh.
I mean he's an undersized d man that doesn't provide offense. He simply doesn't have it unfortunately. When you're that size you gotta produce.

He’s not any more fine than Holden and he’s not even as useful as Hamonic. He doesn’t accomplish anything. If he was playing like he did at the start of the year he’d be an asset to the team.
Agreed, Holdens better than Brannstrom. Way less errors. Hamonic is too atleast he gest shots on net and plays physical.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I mean he's an undersized d man that doesn't provide offense. He simply doesn't have it unfortunately. When you're that size you gotta produce.
I agree he needs to produce - it is very odd that he just can't seem to even get a lucky assist (like Holden last night).
Agreed, Holdens better than Brannstrom. Way less errors. Hamonic is too atleast he gest shots on net and plays physical.
Completely disagree on this one. Holden is bigger and that is it. If they called blind rim arounds a Turn Over he and Hamonic would lead our team by a mile.

As it stands Brann currently does lead the D in TO/60 but is also far ahead in TA/60 and he leads the team in blocked shots. When you look at this other advanced stats he is on for way more positive plays than negative.

I feel like I did when White was getting crushed - I am not a fanboy in the slightest but outside of getting outmuscled at times he does everything else as good or better than just about any of our D. He is not costing us games and deals with pressure far better than our big lugs who might win a physical battle but then just hand it over.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have to wonder about claims like this.

Lets look at just the last 15 games, this removes the start of the year where you claim he'd be an asset,

In those games at 5v5, he has the 2nd best GF% of all D, behind only Zub, at 55%. Pretty good for a guy on a team that went 4-10-1

He has the 4th most PK mins among D, with the best GA/60 on the PK among regular penalty killers at 4.69/60, again that's pretty good, 26th league wide among the 120 D with 20 mins on the PK over the same period.

That seems like when he's on the ice, from a purely end result perspective we've been on the right side of the ledger,

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree he needs to produce - it is very odd that he just can't seem to even get a lucky assist (like Holden last night).

Completely disagree on this one. Holden is bigger and that is it. If they called blind rim arounds a Turn Over he and Hamonic would lead our team by a mile.

As it stands Brann currently does lead the D in TO/60 but is also far ahead in TA/60 and he leads the team in blocked shots. When you look at this other advanced stats he is on for way more positive plays than negative.

I feel like I did when White was getting crushed - I am not a fanboy in the slightest but outside of getting outmuscled at times he does everything else as good or better than just about any of our D. He is not costing us games and deals with pressure far better than our big lugs who might win a physical battle but then just hand it over.
I prefer Holden as a bottom pairing D he is better in almost every way except at skating the puck and passing. He is WAY harder to play against. He is a much better defender. Makes less mistakes. Brannstroms shot is terrible, he is tiny, easy to get body position on.

When forwards see Bannstrom they salivate at the idea of an undersized D man that is an average skater. In a tight playoff series it would be a no brainer who you put in.

Last edited:
  • Haha

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Interesting, when clicking it also shows another model (not that I am sold on any of them really - but when a bunch of them show similar traits I guess that is better?) which is less complimentary but shows he doing just fine.

At any rate, he won't be the stud people hoped for but he isn't nearly as bad as many suggest either and as a young D I feel he has loads of room to improve. He just turned 23 and doesn't even have 2 full seasons worth of NHL games yet.

Both his defensive awareness and his offensive production can still take big jumps.
Dahlin wasn't the stud for the first few seasons of his NHL career, but look at how he has developed. I'm up for giving Branny more time to see what we've got.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I'm optimistic about Brannstrom future, here or on another team. This DJ Dorion era can't last much much longer I suppose. #freeeverybody!

Brannstrom is an AHL player playing on a defensively weak NHL team because we don't have anyone better. JBD is better & should eventually be given more of a role as he gains more NHL experience & minutes, but he too has to stay healthy. They need to acquire at least two new defencemen, maybe one at the TDL & another over the summer.

I don't have time to address all this but you don't have to hate Brannstrom in favor of JBD

JBD is RHD and Brannstrom is LHD, they can be on the same team at the same time, they could even play together!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad