Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom is a x10 better passer and playmaker than Mete and one of the best on the roster.

Nothing moves faster than the puck so having a good passing team is the most important thing in having a fast paced attacking team that can transition and maintain meaningful possession.

It is crazy people cannot see Brannstroms value on the ice just cuz he's small.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
When's the last time this guy ever hit the net. How many critical times has he failed to hit the net? Seems like 50% of all shots are blocked by the first man on him--usually 3 feet away.

I agree, it is frustrating to see him get so many chances and nothing come from it. But the meaningful thing is that at least he is getting those chances at a good rate. His confidence must be shot right now as he can't even seem to get accidentally rewarded. Hopefully he puts in a summer where all he focuses on is his shot and release because he generates good amount of chances and that is the kind of depth you need in the NHL.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In what way?
Every way.

Brannstrom hasn’t been “great”. He’s been a totally fine bottom pairing d man. Not even a great bottom pairing d man. A fine one. Mete at times is not even that.

When's the last time this guy ever hit the net. How many critical times has he failed to hit the net? Seems like 50% of all shots are blocked by the first man on him--usually 3 feet away.
Unfortunately this is a recurring theme with every d man that plays for this team

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I have to wonder about claims like this.

Lets look at just the last 15 games, this removes the start of the year where you claim he'd be an asset,

In those games at 5v5, he has the 2nd best GF% of all D, behind only Zub, at 55%. Pretty good for a guy on a team that went 4-10-1

He has the 4th most PK mins among D, with the best GA/60 on the PK among regular penalty killers at 4.69/60, again that's pretty good, 26th league wide among the 120 D with 20 mins on the PK over the same period.

That seems like when he's on the ice, from a purely end result perspective we've been on the right side of the ledger,
Sounds like a great coaching job by the staff to have faith in him

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wish Brannstrom would learn a thing or two from Hamonic's shooting, Hamonic gets the puck on net/near it so much more than I'd expect him to.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Do you mean with respect of the PK? We didn't have a tone of options when Zub was hurt, but he did play well.
Basically all the stats that you presented. Clearly, the coaching staff has put him in a position to succedd, first and foremost. Now comes the test of hopefully taking more ]minutes away from Chabot. I think it is undeniable that Brannstrom is playing the way the coaches want him to, and it is reflected in his numbers.

Problem is this team , in spite of great numbers everywhere, is still finding ways to lose

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He hasn’t been any better then Victor Mete unfortunately. There may be some upside to his game but I don’t think he’ll find it in Ottawa.
Everyone is so comfortable throwing out comparables and thoughts but have you looked at anything to back up this claim?

Mete has been BRUTAL on a dominant Leafs team. His possession metrics are putrid - there is really no comparable at all other than being smaller Dmen.

Reactions: Bileur

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Every way.

Brannstrom hasn’t been “great”. He’s been a totally fine bottom pairing d man. Not even a great bottom pairing d man. A fine one. Mete at times is not even that.

Unfortunately this is a recurring theme with every d man that plays for this team
Except for Hamonic, he has the best shot , and gets it through more than the rest.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah I'm optimistic about Brannstrom future, here or on another team. This DJ Dorion era can't last much much longer I suppose. #freeeverybody!

I don't have time to address all this but you don't have to hate Brannstrom in favor of JBD

JBD is RHD and Brannstrom is LHD, they can be on the same team at the same time, they could even play together!
I don't hate Brannstrom, language like that is unacceptable, I don't know him. I just don't think he is an NHL player, he is too weak, too small, gets pushed around & overwhelmed & doesn't skate well enough for the NHL. He is a liability in his own end all the time. I don't think JBD is that much better but slightly bigger & stronger & can handle the bigger players slightly better, same for Thomson. I think they need about 2 or 3 new defencemen.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom is a x10 better passer and playmaker than Mete and one of the best on the roster.

Nothing moves faster than the puck so having a good passing team is the most important thing in having a fast paced attacking team that can transition and maintain meaningful possession.

It is crazy people cannot see Brannstroms value on the ice just cuz he's small.
I think even Brannstrom’s biggest detractors know what he does really well, the problem is he doesn’t do it enough to overlook his deficiencies. Judging all our D through that same lens we have 3 D worth hanging on to.

Everyone is so comfortable throwing out comparables and thoughts but have you looked at anything to back up this claim?

Mete has been BRUTAL on a dominant Leafs team. His possession metrics are putrid - there is really no comparable at all other than being smaller Dmen.
I’ll take Brannstrom over Mete 12 times out of 10.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I wish Brannstrom would learn a thing or two from Hamonic's shooting, Hamonic gets the puck on net/near it so much more than I'd expect him to.

Hamonic doesn't think, he just shoots, and that works for what he can do.

Brannstrom prefers to handle the puck and look for a pass, but that delay means the shooting lanes get shut down. I agree that he needs to start throwing some of those pucks on net. Too often he'll hold onto it and then either fire it into a defender or send it down below the net (which isn't a bad play, necessarily, but you're not going to score many that way).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hamonic doesn't think, he just shoots, and that works for what he can do.

Brannstrom prefers to handle the puck and look for a pass, but that delay means the shooting lanes get shut down. I agree that he needs to start throwing some of those pucks on net. Too often he'll hold onto it and then either fire it into a defender or send it down below the net (which isn't a bad play, necessarily, but you're not going to score many that way).
You would think Brannstrom and Chabot would see a guy like Lindgren pick up 3 apples last game by shooting into traffic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad