Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Hence why he should be getting PP time.
Rolling 3D, all on different pairs, through the course of a PP can bite you.

Also, not hating on Branny, but he hasn’t done much with the PP time he’s been given. 1 goal, 10 points, 246 mins. Mike Reilly put up 13 pts in 103 mins, Sanderson has put up 7 pts in 80 mins. Brannstrom has just barely outperformed what DeMelo did while here (per min, to be fair - not overall), and Brannstrom is 8th on the team in PPTOI since joining the team despite missing over 100 games.

He has gotten plenty of opportunity and hasn’t done much with it. I would give him some opportunity when Norris is back but he hasn’t grabbed it by any means.

Reactions: Yak

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Honestly I love what he does (for his value) and appreciate the tough love approach he's getting at this point in time from the team.

Force your way onto the PP like you did onto the roster. He focused hard on becoming a reliable enough 3rd pairing puck mover that he belongs on the team. But now his offense has noticeably been throttled. But the tools are still there.

So now do the same and take the experience he's learned to evolve into an even better pro and generate some offense while not forgetting what it takes on defensive side to remain a valuable player. And force your way onto the PP.

I love this guys attitude and hope we don't lose him right at the point in time he's going to take his game to the next level. Still so so young.... he's a dman.

How many 23 year old dmen are we targeting around the league? Not many, right? That's because these guys take longer to become what they can be. And so we really just need to imagine what a 25-ish year old Brannstrom can do for us. And I think it's huge, imo.

Last edited:

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
im willing to be patient with him since his defensive game seems to have grown significantly, battles hard and isn't noticeable in a bad way in the bottom pairing. We can only hope some offence can come from him someway somehow. Maybe if he is paired with a steady D man in the low pairing who can actually assist him in breaking out the puck that he can generate some more assists at least.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Honestly I love what he does (for his value) and appreciate the tough love approach he's getting at this point in time from the team.

Force your way onto the PP like you did onto the roster. He focused hard on becoming a reliable enough 3rd pairing puck mover that he belongs on the team. But now his offense has noticeably been throttled. But the tools are still there.

So now do the same and take the experience he's learned to evolve into an even better pro and generate some offense while not forgetting what it takes on defensive side to remain a valuable player. And force your way onto the PP.

I love this guys attitude and hope we don't lose him right at the point in time he's going to take his game to the next level. Still so so young.... he's a dman.

How many 23 year old dmen are we targeting around the league? Not many, right? That's because these guys take longer to become what they can be. And so we really just need to imagine what a 25-ish year old Brannstrom can do for us. And I think it's huge, imo.

I am super scared that his handedness and size plus lack of production is going to cost him his roster spot to Kleven as early as next year.

I don't think Kleven will be ready, nor do I think he will be an effective NHLer out of the gate like Sanderson... but I could imagine the team thinking we have another Borowiecki in the making on our hands and just staple him there anyways.

I really like Brannstrom, he has become a really effective #5/6 D, he is also suffering from one of our teams biggest weaknesses... we DON'T score that well 5v5, and Branny isn't on special teams... and we are expecting our #6 defenceman who gets the least minutes, and no PP time to put up points.

we are 28th in EVGs...
Brannstrom is currently 8th on the team in TOI/GP (defencemen), ranking below Zaitsev, Hamonic, JBD and Holden. His -1 is better than Zaitsev, Holden and Hamonic... and every game he seemingly ranks high on impact score cards in nearly every category.

I hope Hamonic isn't going to miss any time, but if he is, I'd really like to see Brannstrom paired with Sanderson, at least for a full game, see how it works. Sanderson is absolutely ready to carry a pair defensively, he already does most nights with Hammer, and Brannstrom has stated in the past that he prefers the right in the O-zone. Give it a shot for a game.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I am super scared that his handedness and size plus lack of production is going to cost him his roster spot to Kleven as early as next year.

I don't think Kleven will be ready, nor do I think he will be an effective NHLer out of the gate like Sanderson... but I could imagine the team thinking we have another Borowiecki in the making on our hands and just staple him there anyways.

I really like Brannstrom, he has become a really effective #5/6 D, he is also suffering from one of our teams biggest weaknesses... we DON'T score that well 5v5, and Branny isn't on special teams... and we are expecting our #6 defenceman who gets the least minutes, and no PP time to put up points.

we are 28th in EVGs...
Brannstrom is currently 8th on the team in TOI/GP (defencemen), ranking below Zaitsev, Hamonic, JBD and Holden. His -1 is better than Zaitsev, Holden and Hamonic... and every game he seemingly ranks high on impact score cards in nearly every category.

I hope Hamonic isn't going to miss any time, but if he is, I'd really like to see Brannstrom paired with Sanderson, at least for a full game, see how it works. Sanderson is absolutely ready to carry a pair defensively, he already does most nights with Hammer, and Brannstrom has stated in the past that he prefers the right in the O-zone. Give it a shot for a game.

when's the last time we rushed a prospect? especially a D? Ceci? Its not gonna happen. This team is very patient with young guys

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

we are 28th in EVGs...

This is spot on

We're not scoring 5 on 5. Last year when Chabot was out for an extended stretch Brannstrom ran PP 1 and it didn't miss a beat. I think he's quite able to run an NHL PP

I like the player but I think his ultimate fate is being traded for RD depth and then him thriving with PP time somewhere else where he isn't stuck behind 2 other LDs. I think he can be a middle pair D man that runs a PP but he's not going to get that opportunity here... unless we move Chabot

• Wow
Reactions: Yak and NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is spot on

We're not scoring 5 on 5. Last year when Chabot was out for an extended stretch Brannstrom ran PP 1 and it didn't miss a beat. I think he's quite able to run an NHL PP

I like the player but I think his ultimate fate is being traded for RD depth and then him thriving with PP time somewhere else where he isn't stuck behind 2 other LDs. I think he can be a middle pair D man that runs a PP but he's not going to get that opportunity here... unless we move Chabot
You won't let this one go eh. This teams a lottery team without a shadow of a doubt if Brannstrom is playing Chabot's role/minutes. It's like this team has had such a bad d core with no depth for so long some posters think it's not possible to have multiple elite pairs.

Why do people think Brannstrom is going anywhere? He is a solid 3rd pair d man on a cheap contract that has no leverage to get a raise. He is a good safety net for Chabot and Sanderson if one does get hurt because he can step in and run a pp. I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You won't let this one go eh. This teams a lottery team without a shadow of a doubt if Brannstrom is playing Chabot's role/minutes. It's like this team has had such a bad d core with no depth for so long some posters think it's not possible to have multiple elite pairs.

Why do people think Brannstrom is going anywhere? He is a solid 3rd pair d man on a cheap contract that has no leverage to get a raise. He is a good safety net for Chabot and Sanderson if one does get hurt because he can step in and run a pp. I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon.
Did you read the post Bert or just quote the Chabot thing?

I said I think he can be a middle pair D that's capable of playing/running an NHL PP. You agree with that?

But I also said he won't get that opportunity here unless we move Chabot. You agree with that? To me, he's not going to get the opportunity here with Chabot and Sanderson ahead of him.

Sometimes you need to read the entire context of a post

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you read the post Bert or just quote the Chabot thing?

I said I think he can be a middle pair D that's capable of playing/running an NHL PP. You agree with that?

But I also said he won't get that opportunity here unless we move Chabot. You agree with that? To me, he's not going to get the opportunity here with Chabot and Sanderson ahead of him.

Sometimes you need to read the entire context of a post
I read it. You keep bringing it up...

Why can't he just be a 3rd pairing depth d man? That's what he has shown he is and its good for the sens to have depth as we know injuries happen. In a way its a blessing his production has been so poor the sens can keep him at a low cap hit. Due to all the buy outs and retention they don't have much wiggle room.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I read it. You keep bringing it up...

Why can't he just be a 3rd pairing depth d man? That's what he has shown he is and its good for the sens to have depth as we know injuries happen. In a way its a blessing his production has been so poor the sens can keep him at a low cap hit. Due to all the buy outs and retention they don't have much wiggle room.
Well I'll give you that. He doesn't have a lot of bargaining power.

We're going to need some low AAV players that are making a positive impact

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dunno how much patience will weed out the plays where heavier forwards just knocked him down on a rush or crush him into the boards. He had alright game last night but that play where columbus forward just knocked him down and skated through our neutral zone keeps playing.

I really like the puck moving aspect of his game and he can skate. I am a big fan of smaller forwards in our game but I think D need to have a minimum level of grit in their game if you are thinking of building a championship team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I dunno how much patience will weed out the plays where heavier forwards just knocked him down on a rush or crush him into the boards. He had alright game last night but that play where columbus forward just knocked him down and skated through our neutral zone keeps playing.

I really like the puck moving aspect of his game and he can skate. I am a big fan of smaller forwards in our game but I think D need to have a minimum level of grit in their game if you are thinking of building a championship team.
find him a partner that provides that level of grit and size and it will work well. Brannstrom is not the issue on that pairing but for some reason gets pointed out more than Holden

Branny was a breathe of fresh air on the bottom pairing last night

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But he has gotten PP time and still doesn’t seem to get any points.

He seems honestly seems to repel points given how good he looks offensively sometimes.

Strange player stats wise.

Brannstrom has played 0:56 PP TOI/GP, Chabot 4:02 and Sanderson 2:06. And 7 forwards also get more PP minutes

That's not a lot. He would need a little more PP TOI but unfortunately for him, he has not been producing points which doesn't force DJ's hand.

But yeah it's kinda weird with his advanced stats that he has only 3 pts in 31 GP. I think a factor in this is that his shot seems easily "readable" for goalies. Velocity is there but not the kind of shot that can fool a goalie. Then for not picking up assists there and there, luck is certainly involved

when's the last time we rushed a prospect? especially a D? Ceci? Its not gonna happen. This team is very patient with young guys

The 2 only guys we "rushed" are Brady Tkachuk and Tim Stutzle. One is an unicorn powerforward that was born physically ready and the other one is a highly gifted talent

It's funny because I often read during the rebuild "this guy sucks I mean he can't crack a terrible Sens roster" but what these people didn't understand is that the Sens took their time (they had the luxury) to develop young guys properly (look at Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc)

This is something Dorion and co have done really well. Prospect development has been a priority, which is understandable with Dorion scouting background.

Last edited:

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
The 2 only guys we "rushed" are Brady Tkachuk and Tim Stutzle. One is an unicorn powerforward that was born physically ready and the other one is a highly gifted talent

It's funny because I often read during the rebuild "this guy sucks I mean he can't crack a terrible Sens roster" but what these people didn't understand is that the Sens took their time (they had the luxury) to develop young guys properly (look at Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc)

This is something Dorion and co have done really well. Prospect development has been a priority, which is understandable with Dorion scouting background.

You are absolutely right, all I need do is look at the situation CURRENTLY HAPPENING with Greig and Crookshank and Sokolov to quell my fears of Kleven being rushed cause "big."

A lot people (myself included) have been clamouring for Greig and Crookshank and Sokolov to get a shot at our 3rd line... constant quotes of:

Crookshank - Greig - Sokolov
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson

is SOOO much better than what we run today, why wont the team try it?

well, as you've said, the team takes their time developing prospects... just like every few days people clamour (myself included) to give Sanderson a different D partner to try stuff out, but the team wants him to learn the NHL game at his own pace with a steady hand at his side, and Hamonic has been adequate to the task.

Crookshank - Greig - Sokolov will get their opportunity, either after the deadline, or next year, once they've had a chance to figure out the adult game properly...

and unless something changes, I should not be worried about a "rushed prospect" taking the spot of a player I like, unjustifiably.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

We looked much, much better with him in the lineup. Keep whining about how he gets knocked down though.

Reactions: OD99

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Take the best game you have ever seen Brannstrom play, add a bit more offensive value and that's what he's going to give us more and more consistently.

Also consider with Brannstrom the importance he will bring as an injury replacement on the 1st or 2nd pair if/when Chabot or Sando go down. Thats one thing we need to plan for for both the left and right side.

I want to see Hamonic resigned at $1.75-2 and slotted with Brannstrom on the third pair while someone like Connor Murphy is brought in to play with Sando. It's a bit of a cap squeeze for us but that would be a great 3rd pair.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Jake Sanderson is playing as a 20 yr old, that's fairly quick for a D. Kleven is 20 yrs old now, but I'm not sure he can step into the NHL like Sanderson did but a lot of prospects are entering the NHL much sooner these days & Ottawa has a need for a big defender.

NHL.com has Sanderson listed at 6'3" :naughty:.

Jake Sanderson | #85​

D | 6' 3" | 195 lb | Age: 20 | Ottawa Senators

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Jake Sanderson is playing as a 20 yr old, that's fairly quick for a D. Kleven is 20 yrs old now, but I'm not sure he can step into the NHL like Sanderson did but a lot of prospects are entering the NHL much sooner these days & Ottawa has a need for a big defender.

Jake Sanderson | #85​

Sanderson wasnt rushed though. He was ready. If he needed AHL time he would have gotten it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Jake Sanderson | #85​

Rushing is playing guys before they are ready, so you feel Jake wasn't ready?

Besides, 20 isn't particularly quick for D taken in the top 5 of the draft.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Rushing is playing guys before they are ready, so you feel Jake wasn't ready?

Besides, 20 isn't particularly quick for D taken in the top 5 of the draft.
Because player A can do it has ZERO reflection on if player B and C can do it.
Its like saying player A has brown hair and he did it .. Player B has brown hair he should be able to do it too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because player A can do it has ZERO reflection on if player B and C can do it.
Its like saying player A has brown hair and he did it .. Player B has brown hair he should be able to do it too.
Sure, just because Provorov, Werenski, Heiskanen, Hughes, Dahlin, Sieder, Byram and Drysdale (seems to be struggling this year so idk) did it and were ready doesn't mean Juolevi, Boqvist and Broberg were ready, but the point was simply that top 10 picks are more likely to be ready at 20 than the average draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad