Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We're missing the element of a hard shot from the point, it brings a different dimension that the PKers have to prepare for instead of just focusing on covering the forwards. On PP1 Chabot certainly isn't providing the fear factor on his shots. I don't know much about Sanderson's shooting, but I do know Brannstrom has a decent shot. I would be in favor of pairing them up on PP2.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We're missing the element of a hard shot from the point, it brings a different dimension that the PKers have to prepare for instead of just focusing on covering the forwards. On PP1 Chabot certainly isn't providing the fear factor on his shots. I don't know much about Sanderson's shooting, but I do know Brannstrom has a decent shot. I would be in favor of pairing them up on PP2.
Branny doesn’t have a decent shot, he can get wristers through sometimes, best shot atm from point is Hamonic.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How about we take stock.

We've played 2 games. We've had 6 PPs. We've got 1 PP goal. Brady ripped a puck off the inside of the post on a clean set up and he beat Samsonov clean and the play beat the Leafs D clean. That puck was about 1/4 of an inch from in.

So we're 1/4 of an inch from being overjoyed with a PP running 33% after two games.

I think we need to breathe a little

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Motte is getting the PP time because of the chemistry he showed with Pinto in preseason, but it just hasn't translated into the reg season. I'd rather see Joseph get a shot, but tbh our 8th PP forward isn't why the pp has struggled.
Agreed. IMO they need a front of the net presence & they have that with Tkachuk on one unit & could have another net presence in Pinto except that Pinto has such a good shot in the slot or on the wing that his utilization there seems more appropriate. Hense, they bring someone like Motte or Kastelic to jam the front of the net & cause some havoc & screening for the goalie. Every team seems to put a big guy in front of the net, even Chara played there for us & Boston once upon a time. It doesn't have to be the best players on the PP, it has to be the guys who play a role on the PP to get the most scoring chances & that can capitalize on them.

If Formenton was on the team he would likely be the net presence since he did that last yr on the PP 2. It's also about the guy in front of the net being able to tip pucks, maybe the guy with the best hand/eye coordination & who knows who that guy is, but Pinto was practising it a lot this past week. I wonder if they give Brassard a shot, he has played the PP for most of his career on several teams. They need their top two lines to click & they need their PP to be more consistent.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thomson has a very hard slap shot from the point, but most players hate that because it can kill someone standing in front of the net. It seems like most coaches now want to see a wrister from the point that is about a foot off the ice that can be tipped by guys in front of the net. JBD does that very well I noticed in preseason which might be another reason the coaches like him so much along with his good defensive play & his smart decion making.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Thomson has a very hard slap shot from the point, but most players hate that because it can kill someone standing in front of the net. It seems like most coaches now want to see a wrister from the point that is about a foot off the ice that can be tipped by guys in front of the net. JBD does that very well I noticed in preseason which might be another reason the coaches like him so much along with his good defensive play & his smart decion making.
That's a valid point. Hopefully Sanderson has that accurate shot that get tipped in front. Karlsson and Rachunek (RIP) used to be very good at aiming, without necessarily having a thundering shot, but they got lots of apples on the PP that way.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yup, easily.

Kastelic is not a PP player at this point, Brass has almost 1000 games of PP experience.

He also played a solid role in making that PP look dangerous in preseason.

Kastelic is a rookie who is working hard to learn the 4c position, I’d take Brass to fill that last spot out of everyone else available for sure.
I agree Kastelic is not likely to be a good PP forward. Brassard might be helpful on the PP and might be used there to see if he is effective at that role. I have my doubts and think the top 6 players will be better than him at this stage in his career.

If Thomson can keep his snapshot down he could be very effective on the PP.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Branny doesn’t have a decent shot, he can get wristers through sometimes, best shot atm from point is Hamonic.
He wired a shot one time (last year I think) from between the blue line and red line and scored a goal. It was definitely a hard shot. But, that's the only time I remember him taking a hard slapper.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He wired a shot one time (last year I think) from between the blue line and red line and scored a goal. It was definitely a hard shot. But, that's the only time I remember him taking a hard slapper.
Yeah, that was the shot I was basing my suggestion on. It was two years ago I think. He didn't have a goal last year.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah, that was the shot I was basing my suggestion on. It was two years ago I think. He didn't have a goal last year.
OK. I just remember the shot and the goal. I wasn't sure when it was. It was a really hard shot from outside of the blueline. It surprised everyone including the goaltender.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Sanderson took a sneaky shot on the PP against the leafs the other night. It was nice to see as successful as our PP is...it's pretty predictable for our D to never shoot.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Most players on the sens hate that apparently but not other teams.

I watch other games and the players with good clappers are taking one timers right left and center but our team always seems to cradle it and let a writer or a snap shot off.

Other teams utilize the Slapshot a lot more than our team.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Most players on the sens hate that apparently but not other teams.

I watch other games and the players with good clappers are taking one timers right left and center but our team always seems to cradle it and let a writer or a snap shot off.

Other teams utilize the Slapshot a lot more than our team.
Senators may have the highest number of proficient one-time takers in the league.

Norris, Pinto, giroux, debrincat all excellent at it. Tkachuk even has a one-time goal this year. Batherson and Stutzle are capable as well.

I don't know if or how to get the data on this but I would suggest that ottawa is near the top of the league in one-time shots attempted.

Maybe you mean to just for the team's defencemen? I'd give you that, more muffins than a bakery back there.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
How about we take stock.

We've played 2 games. We've had 6 PPs. We've got 1 PP goal. Brady ripped a puck off the inside of the post on a clean set up and he beat Samsonov clean and the play beat the Leafs D clean. That puck was about 1/4 of an inch from in.

So we're 1/4 of an inch from being overjoyed with a PP running 33% after two games.

I think we need to breathe a little
The gas lighting associated with suggesting any changes whatsoever to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years is a little much.

Swapping out the 7th forward or 3rd D on the second PP unit, for a shift, is not panicking, melting down, or hyperventilating.

Everyone needs to calm down about calming down. Let's keep our composure.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Senators may have the highest number of proficient one-time takers in the league.

Norris, Pinto, giroux, debrincat all excellent at it. Tkachuk even has a one-time goal this year. Batherson and Stutzle are capable as well.

I don't know if or how to get the data on this but I would suggest that ottawa is near the top of the league in one-time shots attempted.

Maybe you mean to just for the team's defencemen? I'd give you that, more muffins than a bakery back there.
Yeah probably mostly the D.

Remember redden and Alfredsson taking turns faking them one timers and taking them?

I still see other good teams utilizing that on the PP from the back end all the time, but never us. I don't know why.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Yeah probably mostly the D.

Remember redden and Alfredsson taking turns faking them one timers and taking them?

I still see other good teams utilizing that on the PP from the back end all the time, but never us. I don't know why.
I'd say Norris's spot is better than Afredsson's.

Teams are getting closer to the net and stretching the lateral pass because goalies are getting better and blocking is becoming more common.

Anecdotally, I also remember alot more fans screaming "SHOOT" back in the day.

Teams would run it around the perimeter all day waiting for a shot. Now teams push it down low and try to break the box. Losing the puck on the PP isn't the boogey man it used to be.

Reactions: jbeck5

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The gas lighting associated with suggesting any changes whatsoever to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years is a little much.

Swapping out the 7th forward or 3rd D on the second PP unit, for a shift, is not panicking, melting down, or hyperventilating.

Everyone needs to calm down about calming down. Let's keep our composure.
Gotta admit the atmosphere on this board from weeks leading up to the season vs after 1 and then 2 losses is a stark contrast. I've purposely not been reading too many threads other than the prospects thread just because of the negativity.

Reactions: Sen sational

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
As being one of the only posters on here who has stuck by brannstroms side through the past 3 season nothing makes me happier then to see this kid finally start to break out. Its early but i hope the kid keeps it up

• Love
Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Travis Hamonic isn’t afraid to shoot.

Reactions: aragorn

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Brannstrom has a good slapshot. I think the Senators just don't take a lot of slapshots from the point on the PP.

I think a lot of teams are like that these days because teams clog the center of the ice in their zone with their defensive schemes they deploy making it hard to get the shot through. The Senators like to go to from the top to a player at the side of the goalie and then to the player in the slot bumper position for the one timer. You see a lot of teams setting up that play these days.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree Kastelic is not likely to be a good PP forward. Brassard might be helpful on the PP and might be used there to see if he is effective at that role. I have my doubts and think the top 6 players will be better than him at this stage in his career.

If Thomson can keep his slapshot down he could be very effective on the PP.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd say Norris's spot is better than Afredsson's.

Teams are getting closer to the net and stretching the lateral pass because goalies are getting better and blocking is becoming more common.

Anecdotally, I also remember alot more fans screaming "SHOOT" back in the day.

Teams would run it around the perimeter all day waiting for a shot. Now teams push it down low and try to break the box. Losing the puck on the PP isn't the boogey man it used to be.
Gretzky used to control PP play from behind the net too. It made it difficult for the goaltender to track the puck and passes while also tracking opposing forwards in front of the net.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brann has a good shot. It's just another repeat of HF's fantastic stories about Brann skating badly or defending badly.
Brannstrom hasn’t shown the ability or willingness to get his shot off at this level yet so tough to gauge how good it is.

Brannstrom has always been a good skater the question was his speed and more importantly his acceleration. He has improved his explosiveness so that is really helping him.

Brannstrom is still not a good defender but he defends at a level which is acceptable when he brings the breakout and potential offence like he is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad