Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
There is no rule, it just doesn’t make sense for us because we need a guy down low, not a guy up high or on the half boards. Giroux is the playmaker and Cat is the sniper. Pinto plays bumper and Sanderson or Branstrom distribute. You need a puck retrieval guy who can jam wraparounds, make the bumper pass, and generally battle. Doesn’t really sound like a good spot for one of our D men.

To add, I think Sanderson is our best PP D going forward because he can distribute, but he’s the only guy who is a shit threat. Neither Chabot nor Branstrom seem to be able to shot the puck on net in a threatening way on the PP. Both guys need to work on that.

I’d like to see Brass in that spot when he slots in, then we’d have a legit PP player filling the role.

I doused my lunch in way too much hot sauce, I’m definitely a shit threat for the next 24 hours.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I re-read my post just to be sure, but nowhere did I tell you what you could comment on.

I mean, I suggested this might not be that big an issue, and that I personally would be worried about other aspects of the PP, but I definitely didn’t tell you not to comment.

As for Motte, the key word is ‘help’ score, not relied on to score. He was being tried out for the open PP spot where we need a battler and a net presence. It’s neither ‘awful’ nor ‘insane’ to try him out in that spot in my opinion.

Kastelic and Joseph are the other guys to try, but I see no reason not to try all three at some point, as none exactly scream PP scoring threats.
When you say, "I would worry about...instead..." it's pretty clear you are saying my comment isn't worth posting but I don't care to argue semantics.

We disagree on what players should be on a PP, no problem. Just like I wouldn't want a battler like Sabourin on the PP I don't want Motte.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
When you say, "I would worry about...instead..." it's pretty clear you are saying my comment isn't worth posting but I don't care to argue semantics.

We disagree on what players should be on a PP, no problem. Just like I wouldn't want a battler like Sabourin on the PP I don't want Motte.
No man, it really isn’t.

It’s me telling you what I find more pressing compared to what you think is pressing. It’s a discussion, on a discussion board. I’m not trying to stifle you, I’m just disagreeing with your opinion on the subject.

In future, please assume while I may debate certain opinions of yours, in no way shape or form do I want to prevent you from sharing those, or any, opinons.

I don’t want Sabs on the PP either, so we agree on that, and I don’t particularly find Kastelic or Motte guys I would ‘want’ either. The reality is that most teams have to fill spots in the second PP with ‘players’, we have the luxury to only have one spot open, that needs a body to fill, so somebody who isn’t really a ‘PP guy’ is going to have to fill it.

Personally I think Brass is the guy for that spot, and perhaps Joseph will get a look as well since I think he’s more skilled than Motte.

I doused my lunch in way too much hot sauce, I’m definitely a shit threat for the next 24 hours.
My phone LIVES to change the O to an I…. I blame my phone since my thumbs aren’t even that fat!!!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good for you to disagree, should probably read up more to have an idea and get the context of the discussion though.

I'm not some super fan of Kastelic, I am a staunchly opposed fan to having Motte near our PP.

I haven't followed the discussion but Motte has no business being on a NHL PP. Honest worker but he's only a strength if he's on your 4th line, not above.

Also, regarding the 3rd line, we're missing Connor Brown BIG time, exactly like I anticipated. With the potential dark cloud above Formenton, it would have been the smart tto just keep him.

Worst case scenario he would have been our own "rental" for the season. Some will say "the budget", yeah ok but Gambrell + Motte + Brassard signings equal to 3.050. I would personally much rather have Connor Brown.

Lines SHOULD BE :

DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto - Brown
Crookshank - Kastelic - Kelly
Watson

That's exactly how I would have done it. Swap Batherson and Giroux from time to time to mix things up in the top-6

I already said I think Brann and Sanderson should be on there with G, Cat and Pinto.

Erik Brannstrom was my breakout candidate this season and so far he's certainly not disappointing. Easily our brightest spot so far. Sanderson comes as advertised, Pinto is getting back in the groove and Forsberg has been very solid.

Brannstrom should be a fixture on the PP. Make 2 units like that :

DeBrincat - Stutzle - Batherson
Brannstrom - Pinto

Tkachuk - Giroux - Norris
Chabot - Sanderson

Not sure what's complicated here... As usual, DJ and Dorion always find ways...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Love what Zaitsev brings.

I thought Zaitsev was gonna be sick once his bonus was Paid and he was playing a ona. Third pairing?

Reactions: Bileur

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brannstrom should be a fixture on the PP. Make 2 units like that :

DeBrincat - Stutzle - Batherson
Brannstrom - Pinto

Tkachuk - Giroux - Norris
Chabot - Sanderson

Not sure what's complicated here... As usual, DJ and Dorion always find ways...

I would love a breakdown of shape, set plays, roles etc. Having a good PP isn’t about throwing your best 5 players on the ice an expecting them to figure it out.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This seems like a tempest in a teakettle. Sometimes you need to throw out a fresh body to win puck control and battle for space in front of the net. He’s not out there to be the scoring threat.

He is not the reason that we didn’t score. Our top guys weren’t great on the 6 on 5 at all, and Stu made a pretty terrible play to give up the puck. That what I’d be complaining about
TeaPOT! :)

I think he could be a 2nd pairing dman but yeah, I see no issue with him being on the 3rd pairing all year and moving up when necessary.

Meanwhile Gord Wilson is on the radio again trying to dismiss him lol. Hell, the entire station's team seems to hate the kid no matter what he does.
You listen to and quote Good Wilson, the team's spokesperson who could not say "shit" if he ate it!?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would love a breakdown of shape, set plays, roles etc. Having a good PP isn’t about throwing your best 5 players on the ice an expecting them to figure it out.

Don't disagree with this, but I meant more to name the 10 guys who should be on the PP units :

7 Fwds : DeBrincat - Stutzle - Batherson - Norris - Tkachuk - Giroux - Pinto
3 D-men : Brannstrom - Chabot - Sanderson

Arrange the units the way you want but these are the 10 players who should be a fixture on our PP

Reactions: Dionysus and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't disagree with this, but I meant more to name the 10 guys who should be on the PP units :

Arrange the units the way you want but these are the 10 players who should be a fixture on our PP
I agree.

If the PP does not improve soon, given the increased talent we have this season, then the action required is a new PP Coach soon too.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I just don't know how that makes the current units any better. Stutzle, Giroux, Norris and Debrincat all should be on the wall and you aren't putting a defensemen net front, goal line or as a bumper. PP isn't even an issue. Motte's presence isn't an issue either. It's just not as sexy on paper and that bothers people I guess.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just don't know how that makes the current units any better. Stutzle, Giroux, Norris and Debrincat all should be on the wall and you aren't putting a defensemen net front, goal line or as a bumper. PP isn't even an issue. Motte's presence isn't an issue either. It's just not as sexy on paper and that bothers people I guess.

No, this is really not complicated.

Tyler Motte is a 4th liner AT BEST at the NHL level. He's great and everything but this is the best league in the world we're talking about. Like Joel Bouchard said yesterday, there's only 3 type of players in the NHL : good hockey players, very good hockey players and the exceptionals.

Tyler Motte has NO BUSINESS being on NHL PP of a team that isn't rebuilding. He played 196 games for the Canucks and had a total amount of 16:44 of PP time. The Canucks have had the 23rd best P% during that period of time.

Can we at least target to be better than that? For the love of Alfie, can we raise our standards a little?

We're talking about a guy who has a total of 62 NHL points at 27 years old and didn't even have a NHL contract until Sept 14th

Come on now.

• Love
Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Motte is getting the PP time because of the chemistry he showed with Pinto in preseason, but it just hasn't translated into the reg season. I'd rather see Joseph get a shot, but tbh our 8th PP forward isn't why the pp has struggled.

Reactions: aragorn

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, this is really not complicated.

Tyler Motte is a 4th liner AT BEST at the NHL level. He's great and everything but this is the best league in the world we're talking about. Like Joel Bouchard said yesterday, there's only 3 type of players in the NHL : good hockey players, very good hockey players and the exceptionals.

Tyler Motte has NO BUSINESS being on NHL PP of a team that isn't rebuilding. He played 196 games for the Canucks and had a total amount of 16:44 of PP time. The Canucks have had the 23rd best P% during that period of time.

Can we at least target to be better than that? For the love of Alfie, can we raise our standards a little?

We're talking about a guy who has a total of 62 NHL points at 27 years old and didn't even have a NHL contract until Sept 14th

Come on now.

None of that matters to me. As long as he does his job the entry, makes his presence felt in front of the net and makes himself an option for Giroux he is fine on that unit. He can have 0 career points but as long as the player fills his role, it doesn't matter. Motte has filled his role and even helped on the entry that lead to the PP goal last night.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Tremendous play. He's playing like a top pick. We really needed this.

I truly thought it was over for him and he was done. Like next year out of the league done with other Sens castoffs.

No idea what happened but his confidence is incredible. His decision making much quicker and decisive and he’s playing with some tempo and determination.

Truly a complete 360.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
None of that matters to me. As long as he does his job the entry, makes his presence felt in front of the net and makes himself an option for Giroux he is fine on that unit. He can have 0 career points but as long as the player fills his role, it doesn't matter. Motte has filled his role and even helped on the entry that lead to the PP goal last night.
You think Motte is responsible for zone entry with those guys on the ice?!

Any one of those other players and Brann in particular could help enter the zone better. When he gets the puck he has no idea what to do with it.

He isn't single handedly going to make the PP bad but he is an awful option and no question teams would play to funnel the puck to him so it is a big handicap.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You think Motte is responsible for zone entry with those guys on the ice?!

Any one of those other players and Brann in particular could help enter the zone better. When he gets the puck he has no idea what to do with it.

He isn't single handedly going to make the PP bad but he is an awful option and no question teams would play to funnel the puck to him so it is a big handicap.

Never said he is responsible for zone entry but he has his role. Last night he executed when his time came and certainly knew what to do with the puck. Maybe in a larger sample he falter but to this point he hasn't. With the current set up there is two options for that role. Jospeh and Motte, at least based on the players who have dressed. I'm at least willing to see it out rather than reinvent that unit. FWIW I don't see him lasting there all season, but can see how he serves a purpose in the short term.

Last edited:

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I agree with having branny on the pp over motte but so far our pp has looked good imo and dont think thats the issue. We need to score more 5v5 goals

Reactions: NB613

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Motte has 0 career ppp in 271 games.

Brannstrom paced 11 ppp from end of Jan last season.

The fact that handedness is being prioritized over offensive awareness for the 10th powerplay player is preposterous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Motte has 0 career ppp in 271 games.

Brannstrom paced 11 ppp from end of Jan last season.

The fact that handedness is being prioritized over offensive awareness for the 10th powerplay player is preposterous.
Has nothing to do with handedness, it's role. The PP setup they are using needed a net front presence, not a D playing the point, so the choice was between Motte, Joseph, maybe Kastelic or Watson.

If Brannstrom goes on, then Sanderson likely comes off.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Has nothing to do with handedness, it's role. The PP setup they are using needed a net front presence, not a D playing the point, so the choice was between Motte, Joseph, maybe Kastelic or Watson.

Telling a guy who’s 5’10 and 190 to be a net front presence is odd.

If DJ wanted a net front presence, Kastelic is a no brainer. Neither him nor Motte have much offensive ability, but at least Kastelic has size that defensemen would have to deal with.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Maybe the PP needs some tuning, but I think the Senators need more 5 on 5 production. An output of 3 goals in 2 games is not likely to win us many games. The scores would need to be 1 - 0, or 2 -1 for us to win, so that's a tough & improbable battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

It is conceivable to run two D on a PP and still have a guy get to the front of the net.

This explanation lacks as much imagination as refusing to put two lefty D on the same unit.

The units should be built around the (best) players that are on it, not just built the exact same way as the unit with Brady.

Two full games without switching stutzle/Norris or giving Brannstrom a second of PP time is quite rigid for a team with so many new faces.

DJ needs to show more willingness to experiment. There are too many possible permutations with this team to get it right the first try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad