Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The Habs have an NJL

Kind of a wierd take. He’s either #1 d or nothing?

He’s a third pairing d man that has shown he can play up the lineup. Which is good news since one of our top 4 d is Hamonic.
No its about usage. Brannstrom has shown well when he get PP minutes and lots of high opportunity offensive zone starts. But those minutes are being eaten up by Chabot, and likely to some extent by Sanderson.

Realistically he would be left with a lot of D zone starts against top competition and PK minutes. So how he does replacing Chabots minutes means little to me. I know he can do that. Its the actual minutes he would get once the season starts that concerns me, as he has shown no ability to handle those types of minutes.

Reactions: Mookie McGee

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The Habs have an NJL

Kind of a wierd take. He’s either #1 d or nothing?

He’s a third pairing d man that has shown he can play up the lineup. Which is good news since one of our top 4 d is Hamonic.

I think he could be a 2nd pairing dman but yeah, I see no issue with him being on the 3rd pairing all year and moving up when necessary.

Meanwhile Gord Wilson is on the radio again trying to dismiss him lol. Hell, the entire station's team seems to hate the kid no matter what he does.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No its about usage. Brannstrom has shown well when he get PP minutes and lots of high opportunity offensive zone starts. But those minutes are being eaten up by Chabot, and likely to some extent by Sanderson.

Realistically he would be left with a lot of D zone starts against top competition and PK minutes. So how he does replacing Chabots minutes means little to me. I know he can do that. Its the actual minutes he would get once the season starts that concerns me, as he has shown no ability to handle those types of minutes.
I'd like to see us run the D similar to 2006-07,

Redden-Mezaros got balanced usage
Phillips Volchenkov played matchup mins
Corvo-Preissing were an offensive oriented 3rd pair

We might have to run the top 4 a bit more balanced since Phillips-Volchenkov were a pure shutdown pair but I think Brannstrom can play as an offensive third pair and Chabot-Zub can handle a more balanced role than they currently get.

The reality is we overextended Chabot the last few years because the alternative options were all terrible, having Sanderson and Brannstrom allows us to spread things out.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He did the same multiple times last season down the stretch with Chabot out.

Brannstrom haters are in denial.
Not a fan anymore, guilty as charged. But I have seen enough to figure out what he is and what he can be. I agree with Ian Mendes, it was an impressive performance. I agree with Meth, nice game. But I also agree with others that this kid is Jekyll and Hyde. If he is not consistent, he will turn into David Runblad.

No one here can deny the quality of competition he faced. Before we annoint Brannstrom, Pinto, Motte (FFS), and other "stars" of preseason, let's see when the regular season starts.

Reactions: Mookie McGee

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't mind seeing Chabot's ice time cut a little bit on the PP. He isn't as gifted as Karlsson was so having on on PP isn't a must. We have a luxury of forwards that can run the PP, but I'd like to see Brannstrom consistently get PP time even if its to get him going. Keeping Chabot fresh for 5 on 5 is more important imo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So if 6 guys outplay Holden you think DJ would still force him into the top 6?

I always took DJs comments about Holden being in the group of locks as he's at worst an ideal #7 that can come in and out, play either side and give you safe reliable play, no chance we are waiving him. Zaitsev has seen his play decline so he's at the stage where he could be waived. Brannstrom needs to show he can take the step towards consistent play, and Sanderson is a rookie with no pro experience.JBD and Thomson are waiver exempt. Locks to me just mean to not get cut,
I think that Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Hamonic & Holden should all be in the starting ineup to start the yr on defence. I agree, because Thomson & JBD are waiver exempt I expect them to be sent to Belleville too. That leaves basically Brannstrom, Zaitsev & Larsson figthing for that one spot on the 3rd pair. Zaitsev has been really bad so he might get waived, we'll see & Larsson has been steady, but not outstanding. Brannstrom has probably outplayed both especially in that last game he had a very good night & could be on that 3rd pairing with Holden. It will be interesting to see who ends up going to Belleville between Larsson & Zaitsev if one does.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think that Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Hamonic & Holden should all be in the starting ineup to start the yr on defence. I agree, because Thomson & JBD are waiver exempt I expect them to be sent to Belleville too. That leaves basically Brannstrom, Zaitsev & Larsson figthing for that one spot on the 3rd pair. Zaitsev has been really bad so he might get waived, we'll see & Larsson has been steady, but not outstanding. Brannstrom has probably outplayed both especially in that last game he had a very good night & could be on that 3rd pairing with Holden. It will be interesting to see who ends up going to Belleville between Larsson & Zaitsev if one does.

Larsson is a good depth guy to have around. I'd personally have him over Zaitsev, who seems to be playing his way out of the league.

However, I think the Sens brass still likes Zaitsev enough to keep him around as a spare RD. It could come down to who they think will be claimed. And I'm of the opinion that Zaitsev would not get claimed, and if he DID, it would be a blessing.

We'll see. Going to Belleville might be enough to make Zaitsev consider Europe as a better option, though with Russia being a complete gong show I doubt he'd make enough cash to entice him away from the NHL money he's making now.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The way Brannstrom played last game had little to do with the competition and more to do with confidence IMO. He might not have the same success rate against better competition but that’s the game he needs to play. It’s been said a million times, at his size and with his limitations, he needs to be an offensive difference maker. I’m hoping he can keep it up.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I don't mind seeing Chabot's ice time cut a little bit on the PP. He isn't as gifted as Karlsson was so having on on PP isn't a must. We have a luxury of forwards that can run the PP, but I'd like to see Brannstrom consistently get PP time even if its to get him going. Keeping Chabot fresh for 5 on 5 is more important imo
The way Chabot's entry on PP was predictable as hell the last two years, I don't mind having Brannstrom cut down 1min/game from his PP and general TOI to keep him fresh and less injury prone.

Reactions: bicboi64

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

I agree 100%. But Ottawa also seems to love to showcase Chabot. And its hard to imagine they would move him form highly sheltered minutes to much tougher, the abuse he would take here with his contract if he turned into a 35 point d man ...... And that still leaves PK time. I do not think entrusting that to an untested rookie is going to happen, no better way to kill his confidence.

I still believe we need Holden to hold down 17+ minutes a game of tough matchups and PK on the left hand side. And even he is not entirely suited to the role.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Chabot, Sanderson, and Brannstrom can all get decent PP time. Keep the top unit intact from last year with Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom can play on the other unit together.

They've got Giroux, Pinto, and Debrincat penciled in there with Sanderson for whatever reason, might as well get Brannstrom on it too. The leftover options for a fourth forward are not as good as Brannstrom. That's 10 solid players spread out on 2 power play units, and there can be mixing and matching as the season goes on. Great problem

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He was all over the ice last night, turning defence into offence, making good plays along the boards, zone exits.

Personally I think he was among our best players in that game.

Only blemish I can think of is the goal from behind the net, and I'm not exactly sure if he was supposed to stand his ground or go blazing back there. Norris tried to get over but was too late.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He was all over the ice last night, turning defence into offence, making good plays along the boards, zone exits.

Personally I think he was among our best players in that game.

Only blemish I can think of is the goal from behind the net, and I'm not exactly sure if he was supposed to stand his ground or go blazing back there. Norris tried to get over but was too late.
On the goal he was a little late cutting the play off behind the net but the goal wasn’t his fault. Dahlin beat pressure with a nice move in his own zone, caught Ottawa on a forward change and the forwards coming on were a little late getting low.

As odd as it seems that goal came as a result of that great move by Dahlin in his own zone.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One thing I noticed is he seems to have an extra gear in his skating this year, it's allowed him to make some room and skate the puck up ice more often. He's also been stronger in board battles. If he keeps it up he'll have a solid season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s getting that shiftiness going that he needs to avoid contact and buy a second to make a play.

I’m really impressed that he’s taken what seems to be another step, and has maintained his play from preseason.

He looks like a guy who can transition and now rush the puck. Looks like we need another defender for Branny like we did for Sanderson and Chabot.

Really positive to see!

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
he should be getting PP time. He is good at being a QB. I know they will give Chabot a bunch of cracks at it but the dude is good at moving the puck around on the PP
I was disappointed he wasn't given a little PP time. Motte, Hamonic, and Zub had a few seconds but none for Brannstrom

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was disappointed he wasn't given a little PP time. Motte, Hamonic, and Zub had a few seconds but none for Brannstrom
Motte is the only one to actually get PP mins, a few secs to Hamonic and Zub just means the stepped on the ice to be defending when the PP ends, notjing more. As for Motte, we have 7 forwards that clearly belong on the PP, that means the second unit either runs with 3 forwards and 2 d, or someone like Motte gets shifts as the guy going to the net. Not particularly surprising though I might have tried Joseph there instead.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He’s getting that shiftiness going that he needs to avoid contact and buy a second to make a play.

I’m really impressed that he’s taken what seems to be another step, and has maintained his play from preseason.

He looks like a guy who can transition and now rush the puck. Looks like we need another defender for Branny like we did for Sanderson and Chabot.

Really positive to see!

One I've my biggest criticism of his has been his inability to shed the forecheck and get to open ice but he did well last night. Created lots of space for himself to make the next play. His pass to spring Batherson on the Tkachuk goal was superb as well.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
More Brannstrom against Toronto plz. He wasn't perfect against the Sabres, but he played more towards what we need from him than what he does that frustrates us. As long as he can keep up smart passes befopre getting knocked off the puck we'll be fine

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
One I've my biggest criticism of his has been his inability to shed the forecheck and get to open ice but he did well last night. Created lots of space for himself to make the next play. His pass to spring Batherson on the Tkachuk goal was superb as well.
That long backhand pass to Batherson needs to be appreciated more. It was on Draisitl level (Draisitl is the best at passing on his backhand).

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
i do not understand why Brannstrom playing good seems such a revelation on here.

He only just turned 23 and has already stepped up twice into NHL top 4 minutes and succeeded. He is only 8 months older than JBD and has already shown he does quite a few things better than Chabot at the NHL level.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brann’s the Man. Acquired in 2019 it’s taken a year or two longer for
Him to arrive.

Stone’s got 5? more years at $9.5 left on his deal. Great guy… but this is probably the year Brann’s value going forward starts to catch up to Stone.

Paying Stone $9.5 would be a mess right now and a disaster in 2-3 years when we really reach our competitive window.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Id like to see brannstrom on the 2nd pp Sanderson is still young and i dont think he will be better then branny in that position. I think it will take a while for DJ to see this but when he does branny will stick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad