Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Swayman gave up loads of rebounds whenever Brannstrom shot the puck. Either Brann has a very stronger slapper or Swayman is slipping. Either way, I want to see more shots towards the net by Brannstrom

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
When he plays this confident boy can he be a difference maker. He made so many terrific plays delaying and calming the pace. He found an extra gear in his skating that allows himself to play at this level with his size. What a difference maker. Get him on the PP.
Handled the Bruins forecheck really well too, although it might just not be the same of the ole big bad Bruins forecheck anymore.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Handled the Bruins forecheck really well too, although it might just not be the same of the ole big bad Bruins forecheck anymore.

I thought it was a pretty physical and intense game.

What I've noticed this year is that he generally plays the puck quickly and absorbs the hit as opposed to trying to maintain possession with an incoming forward on his way.

You can't turn the puck over if you don't have the puck.

That or he escapes if he has the room.

The same with intercepting incoming forwards with the puck. He'll stick-check the puck right before trying to lay the body.

He has a good active stick so he may as well use it as opposed to trying to play like a larger player.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought it was a pretty physical and intense game.

What I've noticed this year is that he generally plays the puck quickly and absorbs the hit as opposed to trying to maintain possession with an incoming forward on his way.

You can't turn the puck over if you don't have the puck.

That or he escapes if he has the room.

The same with intercepting incoming forwards with the puck. He'll stick-check the puck right before trying to lay the body.

He has a good active stick so he may as well use it as opposed to trying to play like a larger player.
His first step seems much better this year which is giving him the ability to find some open ice and skate pucks out of danger too.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
It’s ridiculous. He defers too much and should shoot more often but he’s got a good shot.
I agree how many times last night he could of shot but went with the pass instead, I like he's game though you can see all the potential

Reactions: NB613

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
When he plays this confident boy can he be a difference maker. He made so many terrific plays delaying and calming the pace. He found an extra gear in his skating that allows himself to play at this level with his size. What a difference maker. Get him on the PP.

I was thinking last night that he's gotten noticeably faster and stronger on his skates. For a player his size to be successful plus skating is mandatory and it looks like he's ticking that box.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Hamonic has been receiving the puck quite a bit from sanderson who like to feed his D partner. If there was just a little bit more faith in Sandy (being a rookie) and Bran (defensively) they would make a really good pair

Idk if we wanna go with Branny on the right, unless we're gonna deal one of Thomson or JBD.

I'd on the one hand, love to see a combo next year of:

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Klevin - Hamonic

On the other, I think Klevin will likely need a year in the AHL, maybe 2... and the team likely wants to bring in a RHD, and likely also promote one of JBD/Thomson (likely use the other in a trade)

Chabot - Thomson/JBD
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - RHD Trade?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Would be nice if we got rewarded for once for holding on to an asset for too long. I hope he continues this strong play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's likely they won't be re-signing Holden at 35 & it's also possible that they could buy out Zaitsev next summer if they can't trade him so they will need to replace at least two D. The other question will be whether they re-sign Hamonic who is the best of the 3 or trade him or let him walk after this yr too. They have two RD in Belleville waiting their turn & it will be interesting if they are NHL ready by then, they should be.

I could see JBD replacing Hamonic next yr given he is the better defensively & maybe Kleven replacing Holden if he is ready otherwise they will need to find someone in free agency or by trade. I'm not sure about Thomson sometimes he looks great & other times he looks lost, he might be able to play with Brannstrom on that bottom pairing. I think they need a big tough clear the front of the net defensive defenceman back there IMO.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Reminds me of Volchenkov, who early in his career looked like he might never break through. When he was moved to the right side and paired with Phillips, he became a legit top 4 D.

Definitely not the same playing style but more in the hyped prospect who takes some time to establish himself and live up to the early hype.

Assen na yo!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
He looks a full step faster this year. Making a huge difference in his game imo. Hats off to him for (presumably) working hard in the offseason to improve. I thought he was going to end up like a newer version of Tom Preissing after last year.

I actually think he'd be great with Hamonic, would help shelter him a bit from physical stuff but hard to complain about Sanderson with Hamonic either. Regardless, he looks far better with anyone rather than Zaitsev.

Reactions: aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
A transformation. Didn't think he truly had the brain to figure it out. But, as Trent Mann just said on TSN1200, you can't give up 22 yr old guys. Dorion must be feeling better about his prized acquisition, but honestly happy for the player

Reactions: Emrasie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His first step seems much better this year which is giving him the ability to find some open ice and skate pucks out of danger too.
Rumour had it he was stronger coming into camp. Not surprising for a young player

But moreso than anything I think his confidence to play his game has matured. He's on the roster, has a one way, he's in the lineup. It's not easy to go coast to coast in the NHL. I imagine it's a hell of a lot harder if you're thinking "if I f$$k this up I'm going to Belleville"

As much as anything, he seems mentally free to play his way and his confidence has grown to play his way.

I think Chabot's injury last year freed him up a bit because there was no alternative. He got a one way out of it. PD said we expect this player to be better.

He's an exciting player to watch too.

Reactions: Bileur

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Rumour had it he was stronger coming into camp. Not surprising for a young player

But moreso than anything I think his confidence to play his game has matured. He's on the roster, has a one way, he's in the lineup. It's not easy to go coast to coast in the NHL. I imagine it's a hell of a lot harder if you're thinking "if I f$$k this up I'm going to Belleville"

As much as anything, he seems mentally free to play his way and his confidence has grown to play his way.

I think Chabot's injury last year freed him up a bit because there was no alternative. He got a one way out of it. PD said we expect this player to be better.

He's an exciting player to watch too.
I don't think confidence was an issue with him (I guess I'm not just disagreeing with you but also with the coaches), as he was trying these plays the past two years as well, but what has changed so far is that the execution is a lot better, and the decision to when to go for it offensively has been more judicious.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This shouldn't be surprising given how well he played when Chabot went down last year.

He is going to get points in bunches here soon. His transitioning and then getting pucks to guys in good areas will pay off.

That rush and dish to Kastelic was amazing - just lulled the D to sleep after cruising through the neutral zone and puts Kastelic in alone at full speed - it was beautiful and you could see him setting it up from the redline.

Have been a big fan and advocate and loving his progress.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This shouldn't be surprising given how well he played when Chabot went down last year.

He is going to get points in bunches here soon. His transitioning and then getting pucks to guys in good areas will pay off.

That rush and dish to Kastelic was amazing - just lulled the D to sleep after cruising through the neutral zone and puts Kastelic in alone at full speed - it was beautiful and you could see him setting it up from the redline.

Have been a big fan and advocate and loving his progress.

He is playing his best hockey as an Ottawa Senator to start this year. Its like something just clicked ... the game slowed down for him and he gets to play to his strengths. Good news for the Sens at the very least they now have a player with some value where that was questionable previously.

Its early yet but what is a little surprising to me is the ability to role Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom on the left side very effectively .. We have to think we well see better from Sanderson and Brannstrom as they gain experience as well.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Reminds me of Volchenkov, who early in his career looked like he might never break through. When he was moved to the right side and paired with Phillips, he became a legit top 4 D.

Definitely not the same playing style but more in the hyped prospect who takes some time to establish himself and live up to the early hype.
All aboard the BrannTrain

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is playing his best hockey as an Ottawa Senator to start this year. Its like something just clicked ... the game slowed down for him and he gets to play to his strengths. Good news for the Sens at the very least they now have a player with some value where that was questionable previously.

Its early yet but what is a little surprising to me is the ability to role Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom on the left side very effectively .. We have to think we well see better from Sanderson and Brannstrom as they gain experience as well.
I like that DJ has rolled out both Sanderson and Brannstrom on the right side when game situation calls for it. That’s good coaching.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They can definitely skate backwards. However I understand the concern.

Branny is playing incredible hockey. Let it run.
Even the Great One could not play as a defenseman! He could not skate backwards well enough to defend. Only a very few players could play F and D very well such as Red Kelly.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Looked a little more mortal this game in the D zone but still had quite a few noticeable solid rushes and break outs.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Looked a little more mortal this game in the D zone but still had quite a few noticeable solid rushes and break outs.
Washington is a big heavy team. DJ limited ice time for Brann and Sanderson. Good coaching as long as they are used a lot Saturday.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, I noticed that in the previous game his quickness allowed him to move the puck before the forechecker arrived, but in this one he got pasted a few more times.

Obviously we won and only gave up goals on the PK so a solid effort overall by the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad