Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His icetime is really trending down, he started the year getting PK time, and got almost none this game. He also had his lowest 5V5 icetime.

I think he's playing well, but it's pretty stiff competition with Sanderson looking good and Chabot starting to find his stride.

Reactions: aragorn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His icetime is really trending down, he started the year getting PK time, and got almost none this game. He also had his lowest 5V5 icetime.

I think he's playing well, but it's pretty stiff competition with Sanderson looking good and Chabot starting to find his stride.

We're in a pretty good spot if we're worried that Brannstrom isn't getting enough icetime.

Shows how well his game is coming along.

Injuries are going to happen both up front and on the backend and we'll see guys getting different looks.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We're in a pretty good spot if we're worried that Brannstrom isn't getting enough icetime.

Shows how well his game is coming along.

Injuries are going to happen both up front and on the backend and we'll see guys getting different looks.

These are good points. I would still like to see DJ continue to make it a priority to limit Chabot to ~25 and adjust ice time accordingly period to period to maintain that pace. We want him as healthy as possible.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
These are good points. I would still like to see DJ make it a priority to limit Chabot to ~25 and adjust ice time accordingly period to period to maintain that pace. We want him as healthy as possible.

Yeah, we should almost have a line graph going for Chabot's icetime for the season.

DJ has to put some confidence in some other players and Chabot may respond positively.

Part of the reason he looks casual/coasting out there at times is because I'll bet he's still pacing himself.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sanderson was out of the game for awhile after getting cut and DJ then put Hamonic with Holden which explains their reduced ice time.

Assen na yo!
The ice time for both players was down in all 3 periods not just when Sanderson was out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was adamant he wasn't top 4 material but I am changing my mind.

I remain I unsure I'd want him in the top 4 in the playoffs because of his size but maybe that is more of who he gets paired up with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Washington is a big heavy team. DJ limited ice time for Brann and Sanderson. Good coaching as long as they are used a lot Saturday.

Lots of special teams played into it too. Brannstrom isn't used on the PP, Sanderson missed two pk opportunities, one because he was in the box and another while he was getting repairs, also missed a couple 5v5 shifts while getting looked at.

I'm not sure why we moved away from using Bran on the PK, Zub seems to have taken over which is fine but Brannstrom looked good on the PK imo. Might be for the reason you suggest, Washington being a big heavy team, Brannstrom might not be as well suited to defend their play style.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lots of special teams played into it too. Brannstrom isn't used on the PP, Sanderson missed two pk opportunities, one because he was in the box and another while he was getting repairs, also missed a couple 5v5 shifts while getting looked at.

I'm not sure why we moved away from using Bran on the PK, Zub seems to have taken over which is fine but Brannstrom looked good on the PK imo. Might be for the reason you suggest, Washington being a big heavy team, Brannstrom might not be as well suited to defend their play style.
I’d like to see Brannstrom get 16-20 minutes against Arizona assuming things go as hoped Saturday.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Washington is a big heavy team. DJ limited ice time for Brann and Sanderson. Good coaching as long as they are used a lot Saturday.
That's exactly what he did. Leaned a little heavier on the bigger bodies.

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe it’s my optimism speaking but I think Brannstrom “breaks out” this year. He’s thicker coming into camp and he will be on the ice with talented forwards more often. I am thinking he will reestablish some of his value by putting up numbers commensurate with his vision and skill. I really think he should be our everyday 3LD.
Bumping this from September 22nd since I often called a Brannstrom hater.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The Brannstrom hate was the weirdest and most illogical thing ive seen on here. It was like a mass delusion. Maybe a psychological thing because of who he was traded for?

A high iq d-man who as a 21 and 22 year old stepped in for a #1 dman and the team didn't even notice the hit, but sure lets flip him for a 2nd?? to make room for JBD, Thomson, Holden and Hamonic???

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Brannstrom hate was the weirdest and most illogical thing ive seen on here. It was like a mass delusion. Maybe a psychological thing because of who he was traded for?

A high iq d-man who as a 21 and 22 year old stepped in for a #1 dman and the team didn't even notice the hit, but sure lets flip him for a 2nd?? to make room for JBD, Thomson, Holden and Hamonic???
I think it was more a reaction to the Brannstrom fanboys complaining about how he was being developed and that DJ didn’t like him. Turns out DJ likes him a lot when he plays well and he developed just fine. If there is one thing this org has done well it’s development.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it was more a reaction to the Brannstrom fanboys complaining about how he was being developed and that DJ didn’t like him. Turns out DJ likes him a lot when he plays well and he developed just fine. If there is one thing this org has done well it’s development.
His icetime seems to be trending down, despite his solid play. He's been taken off the PK, I thought he actually looked good there, and still isn't getting PP time.

Obviously the competition on the left is pretty stiff, I don't know if we'll ever get full value out of his skillset because of that.

Reactions: Emrasie and aragorn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I was always high on Brannstrom, but his foot speed was the concern and almost too much poise was his downfall. He's taken a huge step forward, he's fast this year and is creative again. Keep it going, he's smooth AF out there right now.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

So the reaction to “Brannstrom fanboys” was to tear down the player ridiculous attacks rather than disprove allegedly fallacious arguments? Seems it would have been easy to demonstrate how his performance was worse than his competitors.

More likely it was just poor evaluation from the haters.

He’s definitely playing better and putting it all together now, but he’s always had flashes. The potential was always there despite some being adamant it wasn’t.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Facts, it boggles my mind. Sanderson and Brannstrom playing an umbrella and alternating would be perfect for the 2nd PP
We don't run an umbrella, we use a 1-3-1, with the skill level we have when healthy it makes sense, not sure what we'll do now that Norris is hurt.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad