Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
What's going on with ice time? only 10 minutes last game, 14 the previous game, 11 the previous game.

We're all noticing an improvement in his game but he's still not getting his ice time?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's going on with ice time? only 10 minutes last game, 14 the previous game, 11 the previous game.

We're all noticing an improvement in his game but he's still not getting his ice time?

Most likely from limited special teams. He’s getting third pairing minutes at ES just nothing additional.

Reactions: bert

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

I think that's reasonable? Sandy/Chabot are clearly the top two LD and should be getting a lot of ice time.

Branny has been great on rushes, but his defending is still bad any way you look at it. If he was 6'2 200lbs different story.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Zero special teams is part of it. Last two games had a ton of special team play.

He's also competing for icetime with Sanderson and Chabot who are no slouches themselves.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
love seeing people eating crow on Bran
Tastes good.

Zero special teams is part of it. Last two games had a ton of special team play.

He's also competing for icetime with Sanderson and Chabot who are no slouches themselves.
Sanderson only got 2:20 more EV TOI than Brannstrom. Special teams is the difference.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He looked shake to start the game last night, as did the whole team.

But like the team he stuck with it, bore down and played a pretty good game.

I thought Holden was struggling last night. Hopefully he picks it up because the last thing we need is Zaitsev back in the lineup.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think that's reasonable? Sandy/Chabot are clearly the top two LD and should be getting a lot of ice time.

Branny has been great on rushes, but his defending is still bad any way you look at it. If he was 6'2 200lbs different story.

Lmao and people tell me he's not getting shit on anymore because of his size.

Brannstrom has been very solid at both ends of the ice, I don't know what you're watching but I guess the size bias will never go away for some of you.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Brannstrom has been very solid at both ends of the ice, I don't know what you're watching but I guess the size bias will never go away for some of you.
His size is a detriment to him being a better version of himself but I’ll take Brannstrom at 5’8 over Ben Harpur or Patrick Weircioch who were easier to play against. I think everyone would agree Brannstrom playing his game at 6’2” 215 would be better but I wouldn’t take a bigger player just because he is bigger. When Klevin is here is 2 years, assuming he develops into a capable 3rd pair D, then we may have a debate about which style is needed on this team.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
His size is a detriment to him being a better version of himself but I’ll take Brannstrom at 5’8 over Ben Harpur or Patrick Weircioch who were easier to play against. I think everyone would agree Brannstrom playing his game at 6’2” 215 would be better but I wouldn’t take a bigger player just because he is bigger. When Klevin is here is 2 years, assuming he develops into a capable 3rd pair D, then we may have a debate about which style is needed on this team.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

He was on for the 1 goal but that was chaotic and the puck just kept bouncing and led to an almost lucky shot.

Other than that he has really learned to absorb hits without getting tattooed and then move the puck. When he gets 0 PK or PP time I would understand it is harder to be consistent 5v5 as well. Those long breaks aren't easy to take and then be full speed.

He is an important part of the back-end and if anything both Holden and Hamonic have been having their struggles.

What? I am a big Branny supporter but that is just the truth.

In sports size matters - if he was the same player but bigger he would be better. Near to the top of the league better really.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

I've never been a big Branny detractor around here. I think lots of want him to work out mainly because we traded our best player at the time for him.

I don't think you can just ignore the size factor. He can be a vastly improved, great transition player but still have problems handling forwards in front of the net. That is what he is. Let's accept that about him and move on lol.

For what its worth - the best "small" defender in the league is also terrible in his own zone (Quinn Hughes).

Reactions: aragorn

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
He was on for the 1 goal but that was chaotic and the puck just kept bouncing and led to an almost lucky shot.

Other than that he has really learned to absorb hits without getting tattooed and then move the puck. When he gets 0 PK or PP time I would understand it is harder to be consistent 5v5 as well. Those long breaks aren't easy to take and then be full speed.

He is an important part of the back-end and if anything both Holden and Hamonic have been having their struggles.

What? I am a big Branny supporter but that is just the truth.

In sports size matters - if he was the same player but bigger he would be better. Near to the top of the league better really.

Actually, I think Chabot deserves some of the blame for leaving Brann defending a brief 2 on 1 situation.

Go to 1:05

Reactions: Emrasie

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Actually, I think Chabot deserves some of the blame for leaving Brann defending a brief 2 on 1 situation.

Go to 1:05

Well ya but once that happens then it's up to the defender left to make the play.

Wasn't blaming Brann anyway, I stated it was a bouncing puck and oddball play.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Well ya but once that happens then it's up to the defender left to make the play.

Wasn't blaming Brann anyway, I stated it was a bouncing puck and oddball play.

Didn't say you were, and I should have mentioned that, so, sorry.

Reactions: OD99

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Id like to see him get some PP time but other than that his usage has been good. He has been good so far, him and Holden are an above average 3rd pair that compliment one another well. Saw someone compare Holden to Zaitsev.... Wut... Holden is a smart hockey player the same cant be said for Zaitsev. Brannstroms rush's have been great so has his ability to slow the play down if the team is running around. Very useful player this season. If there is an injury he will be very valuable.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
If Branny was that size he'd be Hedman!.. lol.

Reactions: GCK

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bran is a 3rd pairing D getting 3rd pairing minutes. While I think the defence has been playing better than average so far this yr a decision has to be made on the UFAs. Zub has to be the first priority on this team to re-sign asap. Next they have to decide what they will do with Holden & Hamonic who are both over 30 & UFAs.

My guess is that one of them will be replaced internally & the other could be replaced through trade. Zaitsev will also need to be dealt with at some point, I doubt he will be with the team next season, but who knows. It would be great to see PD fix the defence over this season or next summer the way he fixed the forward group this last summer.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019

His defending is better than Chabot's. Much better.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Haven’t listened to anything on the radio lately. Are Dean and Gord still ripping into him every time he touches the puck?
To respond to this. Last game after the first goal they absolutely shredded him lmao. They almost never ever single out guys on goals against. On that first goal they just droned on and on about how poor brannstrom played it.

His defending has been good this year.

Why would
His size make a difference? If he was bad at defence at this size he would be bad at defence at any other size.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Why would His size make a difference? If he was bad at defence at this size he would be bad at defence at any other size.
Brannstrom's biggest weaknesses are getting beat wide and failing to box out in front of the net. Neither of these struggles are due to him making the wrong decision or reacting badly to the play... it's because those are physical elements of the game and he is one of the smallest players in the league. I actually think his reads are quite good, but his size limits what he can do, even if his read is perfect.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad