Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That is more evidence of those silly stats being useless than the Sens D pairings being really good.

Assen na yo!
Eh, what it's evidence of is more that those pairing are being deployed in situations where they can be successful.

If you choose to interpret them as a means to rank defensive pairings the way the tweet appears to be doing, that's a user error.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Brannstrom's biggest weaknesses are getting beat wide and failing to box out in front of the net. Neither of these struggles are due to him making the wrong decision or reacting badly to the play... it's because those are physical elements of the game and he is one of the smallest players in the league. I actually think his reads are quite good, but his size limits what he can do, even if his read is perfect.

Yeah it looks like you haven't watched Sens games in the last month.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Eh, what it's evidence of is more that those pairing are being deployed in situations where they can be successful.

If you choose to interpret them as a means to rank defensive pairings the way the tweet appears to be doing, that's a user error.

The tweet is literally "Best defence pairings with 50 minutes played" with an image attached. Choosing that to mean anything other than that, such as being deployed in situations where they can be successful, is a user error.

Assen na yo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The tweet is literally "Best defence pairings with 50 minutes played" with an image attached. Choosing that to mean anything other than that, such as being deployed in situations where they can be successful, is a user error.

Assen na yo.
The tweet made the user error. You claimed that the tweet was evidence the stats are useless, when in reality they were just being misused.

So your argument boiled down to because that guy tweeting doesn't know how to interpret the data, the data is useless. Seems a bit backwards to me.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
The tweet made the user error. You claimed that the tweet was evidence the stats are useless, when in reality they were just being misused.

So your argument boiled down to because that guy tweeting doesn't know how to interpret the data, the data is useless. Seems a bit backwards to me.

What is the data useful for? Rating their effectiveness on how they're deployed? How is that useful? It says nothing when a pairing like Nurse-Ceci, whom I strongly suspect plays a huge amount with McDavid/Daisaitl, is rated highly but with those 2 MVPs hugely influencing the numbers.

The numbers also don't account for such a small sample size so far this season.

assennayo

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah it looks like you haven't watched Sens games in the last month.
Lmao. Yeah, you're right, Brannstrom has no limitations to his game. He is an elite defensive player who can't be physically beat.

I have zero respect for your opinion, which is why I didn't respond to you in the first place... you clearly feel the same way about me, so maybe you should do the same.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Both in this case.

Useless data, being used in an incorrect manner

Reactions: Masked

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What is the data useful for? Rating their effectiveness on how they're deployed? How is that useful? It says nothing when a pairing like Nurse-Ceci, whom I strongly suspect plays a huge amount with McDavid/Daisaitl, is rated highly but with those 2 MVPs hugely influencing the numbers.

The numbers also don't account for such a small sample size so far this season.

assennayo
If you think a means of evaluating effectiveness in their respective deployment is useless that's on you, not me... Drai and McDavid are part of that deployment, and sure, they will likely have a pretty big impact, but you can still draw conclusions about whether that deployment is acceptable for those defenders or if it needs to be adjusted to get the desired results.

Your second point is getting back to interpretation of the stats, was it a sufficient sample to get useful information? Perhaps, or perhaps not (xgf stats use high event stats so the sample needed to provide stable results is pretty small), but that doesn't mean the metric provides no value, it just means more data is needed before drawing conclusions.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

So good coaching?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To respond to this. Last game after the first goal they absolutely shredded him lmao. They almost never ever single out guys on goals against. On that first goal they just droned on and on about how poor brannstrom played it.

His defending has been good this year.

Why would
His size make a difference? If he was bad at defence at this size he would be bad at defence at any other size.
Chabot lost his guy and that led to the 2 on 1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot caused the two on one, Brannstrom played it poorly and Dallas got a lucky bounce as well.

We won, guys make mistakes. Both Brannstrom and Chabot contributed to the win.

Reactions: Emrasie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot caused the two on one, Brannstrom played it poorly and Dallas got a lucky bounce as well.

We won, guys make mistakes. Both Brannstrom and Chabot contributed to the win.
Without the lucky bounce is it a goal? Likely not.

Hockey is a fast game. These are the best players in the world. Sometimes instead of casting blame, it's simply more appropriate to tip your hat and acknowledge the other guys will score too. Not saying you're casting blame.

We won. Quite impressively too.

On to the next game

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019

Its very clear that was chabots mistake that lead to the goal. He over committed to the play got burned then didnt take his man on the back check causing to the confusion for brannstrom.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To respond to this. Last game after the first goal they absolutely shredded him lmao. They almost never ever single out guys on goals against. On that first goal they just droned on and on about how poor brannstrom played it.

His defending has been good this year.

Why would
His size make a difference? If he was bad at defence at this size he would be bad at defence at any other size.
You serious here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad