Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Woulda been nice if Dorion got some magic beans instead of a slow midget who produces at the same rate as Mete. He should be fired for this trade alone.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The interesting thing about the Stone trade is that everyone demanded Glass instead, but Vegas wouldn't give him up.

Had we gotten Glass, we would be in the exact same situation. Unfortunately, even though I think Pierre royally screwed up his approach to the Stone trade, it probably just wasn't a good time to be a seller.

It is crazy to think what 1-2 more high end assets would have done for this rebuild instead of Brann though. We'd definitely be in a different spot.

Reactions: Yak

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The interesting thing about the Stone trade is that everyone demanded Glass instead, but Vegas wouldn't give him up.

Had we gotten Glass, we would be in the exact same situation. Unfortunately, even though I think Pierre royally screwed up his approach to the Stone trade, it probably just wasn't a good time to be a seller.

It is crazy to think what 1-2 more high end assets would have done for this rebuild instead of Brann though. We'd definitely be in a different spot.
Makes sense. On the other hand, if Bran had been 1-2 more high end assets we may not be looking at adding another high end asset this draft, which may balance things out at least a little bit. :)

Reactions: SquidNasty

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brann hasn’t shown an ability to get inside or get the puck inside. He’s always on the perimeter. If he can somehow start breaking down coverages he’s going to be good, if he can’t he’ll be Chris Wideman.

Reactions: Yak

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I haven’t seen a game in the last 3 weeks until last night. Has Brannstrom been this meh the whole time ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, sometimes good prospects just don't pan out. I wanted Glass too, and would probably still be willing to take a flyer on him.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I haven’t seen a game in the last 3 weeks until last night. Has Brannstrom been this meh the whole time ?
His skating doesn't look as sharp the past few weeks. Maybe he's banged up, who knows, he just doesn't look at sharp the past few weeks.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
He is just not living up to what he should be doing for this team.

His weaknesses can be overlooked if his offensive strengths were all that but so far I am debating if he is a NHL d-man.

His outlet pass is 0kay but not great. Passing is average. Playmaking below average. His shot is below average. Defensive skill is below average. Speed is average.

I am not a Branny hater just not a fan either.

If we loose Branny, White and Zaitsev next year I think we will be a better club. We have better players in the pipeline then these 3.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Pretty much. With Chabot injured he has been offered all kinds of opportunities to take on a bigger role and really prove himself and he hasn't done much with it. His upside is looking more like a depth power play guy than anything resembling top pairing upside, or even elite top 4 upside for that matter.

Reactions: bert and Yak

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
bruh what are some of you guys smoking.

He is 22 and only recently played 100 games while being asked to fill some of Chabot's huge responsibilities and the team is actually playing well. ( for the second year in a row)

Yes he is struggling at some things but he is also helping the team in many ways. And he is proving he would be valuable in case we face injuries next year.

Trading him when his value is at its lowest is dumb when his upside and even his current performance is more valuable than most returns we would get.

The last time we had a deep d-core was like 15 years ago. Having Brannstrom on the third pair could potentially be elite depth.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He is 22 and only recently played 100 games while being asked to fill some of Chabot's huge responsibilities and the team is actually playing well. ( for the second year in a row)

Yes he is struggling at some things but he is also helping the team in many ways. And he is proving he would be valuable in care we face injuries next year.

Trading him when his value is it his lowest is dumb when his upside and even his current performance is more valuable than most returns we would get.

The last time we had a deep d-core was like 15 years ago. Having Brannstrom on the third pair could potentially be elite depth.
Brannstrom has to essentially play out of this world to even get recognition here. And I fear it may be the same with management.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is just not living up to what he should be doing for this team.

His weaknesses can be overlooked if his offensive strengths were all that but so far I am debating if he is a NHL d-man.

His outlet pass is 0kay but not great. Passing is average. Playmaking below average. His shot is below average. Defensive skill is below average. Speed is average.

I am not a Branny hater just not a fan either.

If we loose Branny, White and Zaitsev next year I think we will be a better club. We have better players in the pipeline then these 3.
Don’t put brannstrom and white in the same sentence as Zaitsev

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He never had a problem with his shot before...he seems tentative and it must be by design our D absolutely never shoot the puck on the PP.

Several chances to do so tonight, especially on the 5-3 but it just keeps get passed back and forth until Norris takes a 1 timer.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's been having his shots blocked, but we have to remember. Brannstrom, as a 22 year old still has so much more upside than the other options we've had. If management doesn't move him, he needs to be on opening night roster. We aren't getting anything in a trade for him as much as what we can benefit if he breaks out. He has the potential to be a Samuel Girard for us, even if it takes him a year or two extra to get there. Its worth the wait considering we'd get a 3rd at best for him in a trade and he's already better then other vets and depth options we have.

Reactions: NB613

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Yes he is struggling at some things but he is also helping the team in many ways. And he is proving he would be valuable in case we face injuries next year.

Trading him when his value is at its lowest is dumb when his upside and even his current performance is more valuable than most returns we would get.

You've likely said this before (when his value was higher) and will continue to say this until his value is zero.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
You've likely said this before (when his value was higher) and will continue to say this until his value is zero.

didnt Mendes recently do a piece for the Athletic where he reached out to find out what Sens players values were around the league and Brannstrom's stock had severely dropped to where he isnt worth much if anything? If thats the case might as well keep him in hopes he can boost the value a bit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He wont get into this lineup next year if everyone is healthy. If you think his value is low now, wait until then. Del Zotto is a much better player at this point. Chabot and Sanderson will play ahead of him.

He's been having his shots blocked, but we have to remember. Brannstrom, as a 22 year old still has so much more upside than the other options we've had. If management doesn't move him, he needs to be on opening night roster. We aren't getting anything in a trade for him as much as what we can benefit if he breaks out. He has the potential to be a Samuel Girard for us, even if it takes him a year or two extra to get there. Its worth the wait considering we'd get a 3rd at best for him in a trade and he's already better then other vets and depth options we have.
He will never be Sam Girard his skating isnt remotely close. Which is Brannstroms biggest issue, if you are that size you have to be able to wheel. I think they use him to get rid of Zaitsev, a team like Arizona might be up for something like that they are really low on D man come next season.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not going to be able to boost his value by sitting on the bench.

He's not going to be playing above Chabot, Sanderson or Holden, and now after the Hamonic acquisition the right-side is full too.

Should be dealt for a comparably-valued young forward struggling to make it. Someone like Frost, Kostin, etc....

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

He's 22! Nothing else you say will take that away. It's also not like he's been pure shit. He's the 3rd/4th best D we have currently (not knowing how Sanderson will play once he laces them up). Oh, and he's only going to get better.

You know who has a value close to zero?! MDZ, Zaitsev.

Even a guy like Hamonic was valued in at a 4th round pick; and you expect us to believe Branny has no value.

That BS article Mendes published is exactly that, BS. We have no clue which scouts/execs were surveyed. They could easily have been shoe shiners.

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad