Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd love Brann in the D core permanently next year, he's clearly a top 4 D on our sorry ass team, but I don't trust DJ to play him unless we have injuries. I think he might be our best piece to include in a package for a top 6 forward.

If not Fiala, make a run for Tarasenko or a legitimate 30g threat

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
It's weird how many people are so eager to get rid of a 22 year-old defenceman who's been our 3rd/4th best D this season. Seems like since he was the return for Stone, people think since he's not elite now he must be a bust.

Do these people think we should get rid of JBD and Lassi too? They're both a year younger then Brann but still in the AHL. We should probably get rid of Sokolov as well. Still in the AHL as a forward at 21.
Yeah, I’d strongly consider trading one or all of them.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A lot of prospects/young players don’t pan out. We are probably in a better position if we have a good understanding of who those are and cut bait before they lose value.

I don’t mind keeping or trading Brann personally, but the reality is we more than likely shouldn’t be icing a defensive core comprising of Brann, Sanderson, JBD and Lassi anytime soon if we want to win games. You can only run with so many kids at once. Patience is good but at some point decisions have to be made about who you genuinely see as part of your future and who you don’t.
Brannstrom is doing anything but losing value rn imo

Just play him. This D core is not good enough to move him. Now if you are talking about a fiala or chychrun type deal then fine you need to give to get but for struggling player like Zadina? no thanks

Ship out MDZ and Zaitzev and watch this defense improve.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Brannstrom is doing anything but losing value rn imo

Just play him. This D core is not good enough to move him. Now if you are talking about a fiala or chychrun type deal then fine you need to give to get but for struggling player like Zadina? no thanks

Ship out MDZ and Zaitzev and watch this defense improve.
I don’t think Brann has any true value but I could be wrong. They should’ve moved him awhile ago imo but it is what it is. I just don’t see him as part of a package to acquire any top 6 guy unless he’s the third piece of the deal.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don’t think Brann has any true value but I could be wrong. They should’ve moved him awhile ago imo but it is what it is. I just don’t see him as part of a package to acquire any top 6 guy unless he’s the third piece of the deal.
then keep him and play him

Reactions: NB613

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
If they can move him for another piece we do it. It's looking like we could be a log jam on the bottom 6.

Honestly I love that Branny has offensive upside but is not like he is lighting the lamp up but it seems he is a better puck mover then most. The rest of his game is very much a work in progress. However since Chabot went down he has raised his game defensive.

It will be a interesting off-season to say the least. We have tons to deal with.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
then keep him and play him

You can only have so many inexperienced defencemen on a roster and hope to win games. Sanderson gets one spot and Lassi should get the other because a) he has looked pretty good and b) he’s clearly valued by the team as a future top 4.

We need to get out of the basement, and that means moving on from placeholder vets and placeholder prospects. Give the minutes to the guys that are going to be here for the good years and let them grow. They obviously don’t see Brannstrom as part of the future if they didn’t play him over Mete and Josh Brown.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You can only have so many inexperienced defencemen on a roster and hope to win games. Sanderson gets one spot and Lassi should get the other because a) he has looked pretty good and b) he’s clearly valued by the team as a future top 4.

We need to get out of the basement, and that means moving on from placeholder vets and placeholder prospects. Give the minutes to the guys that are going to be here for the good years and let them grow. They obviously don’t see Brannstrom as part of the future if they didn’t play him over Mete and Josh Brown.
How about we get some experienced defensemen who can actually play in the top 4? I don’t get how blaming the inexperience on defense is brannstrom fault
Again the issue with the defence is that our vets like zaitsev Holden mdz are not good enough to play in a top 4 position. Improve that first

Sanderson brannstrom JBD Thomson aren’t guys who will automatically fix the defence next year

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
How about we get some experienced defensemen who can actually play in the top 4? I don’t get how blaming the inexperience on defense is brannstrom fault
Again the issue with the defence is that our vets like zaitsev Holden mdz are not good enough to play in a top 4 position. Improve that first
I don’t think I said anything about it being Brannstrom’s fault, it’s just our current situation.

Look we realistically need two top 6 forwards and a top 4 dman to round out the roster. I think we can hope for maybe 1/3 this summer unless there is an overhaul that happens sooner than expected. So realistically, I don’t expect a top 4 and this is the best path forward with what we have. Get rid of Zaitsev at any cost, MDZ can go or be a 7th D and just hope Sanderson and Thomson thrive.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Brannstrom has regressed majorly from last year. I though for sure that he would be a 30-40 point dman who was reliable in both ends after what I saw in his 30 game sample size last year, but he’s been pretty horrendous this season. If you can can get a late first or use him as a piece for a need (top 4 D or Top 6F) go for it, otherwise role the dice on one more half season in a #5-6D role. I think the send truly ruined his confidence this sseason by dicking him around, and on a team with good coaching and player support like St Louis or Boston he’s a top 4Dman by now.

Reactions: robsenz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brannstrom has regressed majorly from last year. I though for sure that he would be a 30-40 point dman who was reliable in both ends after what I saw in his 30 game sample size last year, but he’s been pretty horrendous this season. If you can can get a late first or use him as a piece for a need (top 4 D or Top 6F) go for it, otherwise role the dice on one more half season in a #5-6D role. I think the send truly ruined his confidence this sseason by dicking him around, and on a team with good coaching and player support like St Louis or Boston he’s a top 4Dman by now.
Most of his underlying stats are nearly identical to last year, except that he's been less sheltered in his deployment. The other big change is his on ice Sh% which he'd largely have no control over. It's among the league worst. and less than half of what it was last year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see no need to move him. We have a lot of bodies, but not a quality depth chart on D.

Brannstrom's development reminds me a lot of Ryan Ellis. Brannstrom turned pro quicker, but both played their first two years after being drafted outside the NHL, and then were part-time AHL/NHL for two years, before settling in a relatively regular NHLers. The improvement tends to really start around now, which we have seen signs of this year.

Both players are undersized offence-first guys, but both have decent frames. Ellis might be a bit naturally better in the defensize zone, but he really grew into that. I'd say Brannstrom is quite a bit better skater. So just like Ellis in Nashville, Brannstrom could play a key role even if he doesn't become a #1 D. He can also really run a PP, as we have seen with Chabot out. This is good insurance for when Chabot goes down, or even just PP2.
Ellis was a way better player in Jr and is a much stronger more physical person in general I do not see it.

It's weird how many people are so eager to get rid of a 22 year-old defenceman who's been our 3rd/4th best D this season. Seems like since he was the return for Stone, people think since he's not elite now he must be a bust.

Do these people think we should get rid of JBD and Lassi too? They're both a year younger then Brann but still in the AHL. We should probably get rid of Sokolov as well. Still in the AHL as a forward at 21.

Those players arent 5'8 if you are that small of a D man you have to be very mobile and have explosive speed. He simply doesnt, these are traits you have or you dont and Brannstrom does not. Small players in general develop faster, he also really doesnt get his shots through or on net. Its been very evident since Del Zotto has been up. He manages to get his through Brannstrom does not. Id try and get something for him before he has no value at all. I think trying to package him with Zaitsev to get Arizona to take him should be the move.

Where is he going to play? He really has not been very good on the PP, Sanderson is going to run the second unit. So then you just have an undersized, below average defender on your third pair. Thats not what you want on your third pair.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Most of his underlying stats are nearly identical to last year, except that he's been less sheltered in his deployment. The other big change is his on ice Sh% which he'd largely have no control over. It's among the league worst. and less than half of what it was last year.
On ice save% is very high for him too but you are right he has among our best CORSI and FENWICK so he is doing something right.

I think he offers something we really lack in the transition game both passing and skating but understand why his size is such a concern. I wonder if he was putting up .5/ppg if it would be the same reaction though. I think he can get there and really seems to have a bit of bad luck, point wise, this season.

As an aside, the other polarizing figure Mr. White is also right at the top for fancy stats and also gets talked about as being a big drag on the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On ice save% is very high for him too but you are right he has among our best CORSI and FENWICK so he is doing something right.

I think he offers something we really lack in the transition game both passing and skating but understand why his size is such a concern. I wonder if he was putting up .5/ppg if it would be the same reaction though. I think he can get there and really seems to have a bit of bad luck, point wise, this season.

As an aside, the other polarizing figure Mr. White is also right at the top for fancy stats and also gets talked about as being a big drag on the team.
On ice sv% isn't outlandish, he's ~80th out of 250 or so Dmen with 150 mins. He's high relative to our team mind you,

Reactions: OD99

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He needs to score and put up points. I just don't see ti happening. Myabe if he gets one, he will get a bunch, but I don't think he factors in long term and guys will pass him on the depth chart

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ellis was a way better player in Jr and is a much stronger more physical person in general I do not see it.

Those players arent 5'8 if you are that small of a D man you have to be very mobile and have explosive speed. He simply doesnt, these are traits you have or you dont and Brannstrom does not. Small players in general develop faster, he also really doesnt get his shots through or on net. Its been very evident since Del Zotto has been up. He manages to get his through Brannstrom does not. Id try and get something for him before he has no value at all. I think trying to package him with Zaitsev to get Arizona to take him should be the move.

Where is he going to play? He really has not been very good on the PP, Sanderson is going to run the second unit. So then you just have an undersized, below average defender on your third pair. Thats not what you want on your third pair.
Brannstrom played in the ahl as a junior lol

I would say he was very good

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He needs to score and put up points. I just don't see ti happening. Myabe if he gets one, he will get a bunch, but I don't think he factors in long term and guys will pass him on the depth chart
I don't think this is necessarily true. His strenght is puck moving, which applies to both moving the puck out of his own zone and through the neutral zone.

On a really high scoring team, that'll translate to assists. On a lower scoring team it may not ... but it is still a valuable skill and he'd still be a good & valuable player.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Brannstrom played in the ahl as a junior lol

I would say he was very good

Not only that he scored 32 points in 50 AHL games as a 19 year old. That after putting up 15 in 44 as an 18 year old in the SHL (this might be even more impressive).

The guy has been around forever seemingly but he's 22. I don't get the need to write off young players and where they can play in the lineup. We see it all the time; "Formenton doesn't have what it takes to be a top 6" is just another example.

If a player at age 22 has multiple games where they look really good (Brannstrom and Froms are prime examples) I think you have to be patient and see what they grow into.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Brannstrom never played junior. He was in the AHL. His shot rate per 60 is 2nd highest on the team at even strength.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you look at Brannstrom's draft year, he's in the middle of 5 straight D men being drafted. Of those comparables, he's played the most NHL games and has the most NHL points. He's also the youngest of those 5 players. By years end he'll have played 50 games averaging 20 minutes a night at 22 years old. Of course he has value.

There's lots of talk about needing to improve our defence. We're currently 23rd in the league in goals against and 28th in goals for and we've got further to climb in the goals for department to get to league average. We're a half goal a game below league average for goals for. Obviously our injuries are impacting that.

I just don't get the rush to move Brannstrom

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad