Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Defensemen can take a while to develop, Branstrom shows flashes of what player he could become. To early to give up on him.

That being said, if he can be a big chunk in a package to bring in a legit young top 4 D or top 6 forward . . . i'd have a hard time not moving him along.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Think you can safely pencil in Zub on the right side.

I just hope we can somehow get him signed again long term after this short contract is up. It was a tough spot, because if you give him a huge deal and he goes all Zaitsev on us, then we are stuck with two terrible contracts, but he did not go Zaitsev and now hindsight is telling us we should have went with more term on his deal.

People tend to forget that Nikita Zaitsev had a really good first season with Toronto too.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Defensemen can take a while to develop, Branstrom shows flashes of what player he could become. To early to give up on him.

That being said, if he can be a big chunk in a package to bring in a legit young top 4 D or top 6 forward . . . i'd have a hard time not moving him along.

I see no need to move him. We have a lot of bodies, but not a quality depth chart on D.

Brannstrom's development reminds me a lot of Ryan Ellis. Brannstrom turned pro quicker, but both played their first two years after being drafted outside the NHL, and then were part-time AHL/NHL for two years, before settling in a relatively regular NHLers. The improvement tends to really start around now, which we have seen signs of this year.

Both players are undersized offence-first guys, but both have decent frames. Ellis might be a bit naturally better in the defensize zone, but he really grew into that. I'd say Brannstrom is quite a bit better skater. So just like Ellis in Nashville, Brannstrom could play a key role even if he doesn't become a #1 D. He can also really run a PP, as we have seen with Chabot out. This is good insurance for when Chabot goes down, or even just PP2.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Zub as his D partner sure helps. Personally I dont see it with Brannstrom he just isnt a good enough skater to be that size. Time to move on while he has any value at all.
He's not got enough value at this point to bother moving, until he's no longer one of our 6 best D, we should hold on, the return won't be worth seeing guys like MDZ or Mete in the lineup.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Zub as his D partner sure helps. Personally I dont see it with Brannstrom he just isnt a good enough skater to be that size. Time to move on while he has any value at all.
If he can be part of getting a top 6 forward, I agree, I don’t like in the defensive zone, when he chases people out to the point, everyone else has to adjust their assignments. Good bargaining chip for a top 6, if the value isn’t there then keep him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I see no need to move him. We have a lot of bodies, but not a quality depth chart on D.

Brannstrom's development reminds me a lot of Ryan Ellis. Brannstrom turned pro quicker, but both played their first two years after being drafted outside the NHL, and then were part-time AHL/NHL for two years, before settling in a relatively regular NHLers. The improvement tends to really start around now, which we have seen signs of this year.

Both players are undersized offence-first guys, but both have decent frames. Ellis might be a bit naturally better in the defensize zone, but he really grew into that. I'd say Brannstrom is quite a bit better skater. So just like Ellis in Nashville, Brannstrom could play a key role even if he doesn't become a #1 D. He can also really run a PP, as we have seen with Chabot out. This is good insurance for when Chabot goes down, or even just PP2.

Oh for sure, I don't feel any pressure to move him either.

Just if they're looking to add say, Keller or someone and Branstrom is part of the ask . . . definitely something to consider.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
less focus should be put on bran and more focus should be put on trading Zaitsev and MDZ this off season

Next bring in a legit top 4 D

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - XXX
Brannstrom - Hamonic
ex Holden

is a good starting point

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
less focus should be put on bran and more focus should be put on trading Zaitsev and MDZ this off season

Next bring in a legit top 4 D

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - XXX
Brannstrom - Hamonic
ex Holden

is a good starting point
I agree. That's not an awful looking d-core for a team looking to take the next step. We really do need a solid, two-way 2nd pair RD though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have an assortment of D coming for next season & now would be the time to package Brann with someone else to improve elsewhere either with a good young forward. IMO Sanderson will be ahead of Brann & it's just a matter of time before Thomson/JBD are better at both ends. He doesn't put up enough pts given how much PP time he gets now & he's just not good enough defensively, especially if he ends up on a 3rd pairing. If they end up with one of the two D ranked in the top 10 in this upcoming draft, both will end up ahead of him too in a short time.

I'd like to see a trade around acquiring McBain & Crouse out of Arz for a White & Brann plus package. Ottawa will need Crouse after next season when Watson's contract ends & IMO Crouse is the better forward & enforcer.
Crouse - Kastelic - Watson/Sokolov

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Brannstrom caused the 3rd goal last night, for a tiny guy he couldn't outskate the forward in a race, pushed the puck to the corner due to lack of time, then got pushed around in front when the puck moved back there, allowing that key goal.

I don't see speed or strength improving much in the future, so he has none of the crucial elements to allow him to defend. Time to cut bait.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They have an assortment of D coming for next season & now would be the time to package Brann with someone else to improve elsewhere either with a good young forward. IMO Sanderson will be ahead of Brann & it's just a matter of time before Thomson/JBD are better at both ends. He doesn't put up enough pts given how much PP time he gets now & he's just not good enough defensively, especially if he ends up on a 3rd pairing. If they end up with one of the two D ranked in the top 10 in this upcoming draft, both will end up ahead of him too in a short time.

I'd like to see a trade around acquiring McBain & Crouse out of Arz for a White & Brann plus package. Ottawa will need Crouse after next season when Watson's contract ends & IMO Crouse is the better forward & enforcer.
Crouse is costing more than that and I doubt anyone is taking white for free

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
It's weird how many people are so eager to get rid of a 22 year-old defenceman who's been our 3rd/4th best D this season. Seems like since he was the return for Stone, people think since he's not elite now he must be a bust.

Do these people think we should get rid of JBD and Lassi too? They're both a year younger then Brann but still in the AHL. We should probably get rid of Sokolov as well. Still in the AHL as a forward at 21.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's weird how many people are so eager to get rid of a 22 year-old defenceman who's been our 3rd/4th best D this season. Seems like since he was the return for Stone, people think since he's not elite now he must be a bust.

Do these people think we should get rid of JBD and Lassi too? They're both a year younger then Brann but still in the AHL. We should probably get rid of Sokolov as well. Still in the AHL as a forward at 21.
A lot of prospects/young players don’t pan out. We are probably in a better position if we have a good understanding of who those are and cut bait before they lose value.

I don’t mind keeping or trading Brann personally, but the reality is we more than likely shouldn’t be icing a defensive core comprising of Brann, Sanderson, JBD and Lassi anytime soon if we want to win games. You can only run with so many kids at once. Patience is good but at some point decisions have to be made about who you genuinely see as part of your future and who you don’t.

Reactions: aragorn and sens13

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Lets wait umtil JBD and Lassi prove it. If you move Branny too soon it would put whichever one is playing in a bad spot. I disagree with the timeline, not with trading him. You are always very enthusiastic about penciling in young players, sometimes ones who haven't even been drafted yet. Lol. I will get used to it someday.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Crouse is costing more than that and I doubt anyone is taking white for free
Should I have bolded the words PLUS Package since I assume that we may have to retain on White or add picks to compensate.
Lets wait umtil JBD and Lassi prove it. If you move Branny too soon it would put whichever one is playing in a bad spot. I disagree with the timeline, not with trading him. You are always very enthusiastic about penciling in young players, sometimes ones who haven't even been drafted yet. Lol. I will get used to it someday.
My own opinion is that we don't keep both JBD & Thomson, I think it's one or the other to eventually pair with Sanderson & Thomson should probably get the first shot since most think he is closer to being NHL ready. Most including in the media also already think Sanderson is automatically on the team to start next season, that's been an ongoing discussion for quite some time. Whether he can beat out these other D remains to be seen, but I doubt anyone would be surprised if he starts next season in Ottawa.

And let's not forget that Holden, MDZ & Hamonic all have contracts for next season so unless someone is moved during the summer they will be on the team to start next yr & could be there until the TDL or end of the yr. Zub will also be around for a while & should be re-signed & Zaitsev has 2 more yrs left on his contract & whether they do something about that remains to be seen. As you can see the spots are slowly being taken & Chabot automatically gets a top pairing spot.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev
- extras - MDZ/Brann/Thomson/JBD

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Should I have bolded the words PLUS Package since I assume that we may have to retain on White or add picks to compensate.

My own opinion is that we don't keep both JBD & Thomson, I think it's one or the other to eventually pair with Sanderson & Thomson should probably get the first shot since most think he is closer to being NHL ready. Most including in the media also already think Sanderson is automatically on the team to start next season, that's been an ongoing discussion for quite some time. Whether he can beat out these other D remains to be seen, but I doubt anyone would be surprised if he starts next season in Ottawa.

And let's not forget that Holden, MDZ & Hamonic all have contracts for next season so unless someone is moved during the summer they will be on the team to start next yr & could be there until the TDL or end of the yr. Zub will also be around for a while & should be re-signed & Zaitsev has 2 more yrs left on his contract & whether they do something about that remains to be seen. As you can see the spots are slowly being taken & Chabot automatically gets a top pairing spot.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev
- extras - MDZ/Brann/Thomson/JBD
I'm just not sure about Lassi and JBD. They might be farther away than we think. I see them as third pairing guys that can fill in on the 2nd pair. Defencemen are wierd. They seem to make it right away or take forever. I'm not very good at projecting talent. I thought JGP, Smith and Stone was going to be a line for us for a while, not just 1 season. Hehehe.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Is this statement supposed to read as a compliment? Our d is horrible.
Which is why it doesn't make sense to get rid of Brann. They only D we're bringing in next season that's better than him is Sanderson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Which is why it doesn't make sense to get rid of Brann. They only D we're bringing in next season that's better than him is Sanderson.
But they also need guys to play on the PK & reduce their goals against & decrease their goals for & against differetial & that's where guys like Holden, Zub & Hamonic come in. I expect those three to have spots to start next season along with Chabot & most likely Sanderson. That's five spots taken on defence & they have Zaitsev signed for two more yrs & MDZ for another yr & then there is Brann & most likely one of Thomson or JBD. If Brann isn't in the top two pairings IMO they don't need him & should move him while he still has some value.

Reactions: sens13

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
But they also need guys to play on the PK & reduce their goals against & decrease their goals for & against differetial & that's where guys like Holden, Zub & Hamonic come in. I expect those three to have spots to start next season along with Chabot & most likely Sanderson. That's five spots taken on defence & they have Zaitsev signed for two more yrs & MDZ for another yr & then there is Brann & most likely one of Thomson or JBD. If Brann isn't in the top two pairings IMO they don't need him & should move him while he still has some value.
Somebody already said Branny has almost no value right now. I think it was in one of Ian's articles. Having him and Holden on the third would be Ok. Let JBD and Lassi marinate a bit. Make Zaitsev a video coach. "See what I did on that play. Don't do that!"

Reactions: aragorn and NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the 6 regular D next year will be Zaitsev, Zub, Hamonic, Brannstrom, Sanderson and Chabot with Holden as the 7th D.

Del Zotto gets moved in the summer. They sign a vet on a 2 way and Thomson and JBD both see injury callup time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's been our 4th best D this season behind Chabot, Zub and Holden.

I'm all for playing him on the 3rd pairing and having Zaitsevs sit, but unless a new ownership group gets rid of DJ, that's not happening.

As it stands right now he's the 7th defensemen next season. This will be the 3rd year he's been penciled outside of the starting 6 D. It's not a bad idea to look at trading him for immediate help elsewhere, especially if an okay 6th D like MDZ is still with the team next year as the extra.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think Tompson makes the team out of camp and JBD is first call up.

I agree with Bondra and co that we could use Branstrom to help get us Fiala or someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad