Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Huh?

Good players make good teams but even some of the best have years with poor plus minus.

Still has nothing to do with our team this year which is what we were talking about.

If I feel I need guidance on idiotic, irrelevant posting I'll give you a shout.
chill pill lol .. I was kidding lmao.. ok cool... K

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's clear many people on this forum have not watched other NHL teams. You said it well, does his positives well but his weaknesses are absolutely terrible.

I want everyone to watch Sam Girard last playoffs, was a detriment to his team and you can argue he is Brannstrom's ceiling.

For better or for worse, he is still in his developmental stage, and playing with terrible support far too high up the lineup. He will stay here another off-season but if I get a good offer for him, he's gone.

No, Zaitsev, Mete and Josh Brown's weaknesses are terrible. Brannstrom's are manageable as he develops as a player. No reason not to keep a kid like him around unless he stops improving.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brannstrom needs to do what he did last year when Chabot went down. Be our main puck carrier but he needs to do it better given how little faith management has in him

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
This thread goes quiet when he is playing good.

even though a 22 year old rookie d playing well with top minutes is a lot more noteworthy than a 22 year old rookie d struggling while being paired with the likes of Brown and Zaitsev.

and why in the hell does the Brann-Zub pairing ever get broken up? They are good together and what's more is that they clearly enjoy playing together.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This thread goes quite when he is playing good.

even though a 22 year old rookie d playing well with top minutes is a lot more noteworthy than a 22 year old rookie d struggling while being paired with the likes of Brown and Zaitsev.

and why in the hell does the Brann-Zub pairing ever get broken up? They are good together and what's more is that they clearly enjoy playing together.

Is he playing good enough to fetch a 1st rounder?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I love the Brann-Zub pairing. If Bran stays on the team, I want to see Brann and Zub as a regular. Only pair better than that is Chabot and Zub.

Maybe Hamonic can play with Chabot and at the least not be worse than Zaitsev, gives us a solid bottom pairing of MDZ and Holden (with one of the many young D ready for a call up the minute someone gets injured)

Reactions: NB613

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I will never under stand the hate for brannstrom he was drafted in 2017 15th OA where 5 defensemen were drafted in a row those 5 guys are who we should be comparing him too. See how he stacks up against his draft class:

114Tampa BayCal FooteDKelowna Rockets [WHL]762810462021-22
115VegasErik BrannstromDHV71 Jonkoping [SweHL]9922224652021-22
116CalgaryJuuso ValimakiDTri-City Americans [WHL]8131316482021-22
117TorontoTimothy LiljegrenDRogle BK Angelholm [SweHL]5911718162021-22
118BostonUrho VaakanainenDJyP HT Jyvaskyla [SM-liiga]3106662021-22

To me he's right where his development should be. I would love to see some solid arguments to where he isnt.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I will never under stand the hate for brannstrom he was drafted in 2017 15th OA where 5 defensemen were drafted in a row those 5 guys are who we should be comparing him too. See how he stacks up against his draft class:

114Tampa BayCal FooteDKelowna Rockets [WHL]762810462021-22
115VegasErik BrannstromDHV71 Jonkoping [SweHL]9922224652021-22
116CalgaryJuuso ValimakiDTri-City Americans [WHL]8131316482021-22
117TorontoTimothy LiljegrenDRogle BK Angelholm [SweHL]5911718162021-22
118BostonUrho VaakanainenDJyP HT Jyvaskyla [SM-liiga]3106662021-22

To me he's right where his development should be. I would love to see some solid arguments to where he isnt.
I think it's quite simple really. If Brannstrom fails it's another few years of Dorion bashing. Yes, he's right where he should be, ahead of those comparables actually but that does not matter. I made a similar post not long ago about Brannstrom relative to his peers.

What I found really funny though was the Mete pumping in the GDTs last fall.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Im still sticking with he won't be here at the start of next season.

Dorion really fudged up the Stone trade

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Im still sticking with he won't be here at the start of next season.

Dorion really fudged up the Stone trade
Hes fudged up alot of things. Atleast we have a promising D, who is playing way above his weight and still holding water, and can contribute at NHL level for years to come.

Reactions: DJB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This off-season he should be swapped for a young underachieving forward.

Someone like Zadina, Frost, Kostin, Denisenko, etc...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s looked really promising of late to be honest. He has to let the big forward in first in the D zone, but you can see that he’s learning to act fast after that to turn the puck over and move it. He’s learning to work at his size, and it’s good to see.

Remember 4 months ago everyone was saying Brann gets hit to much and doesn’t have the hockey sense or vision to continue in the NHL and really everyone was just concerned for his health and not his career. 20 NHL games later and no one is talking about that - Brann is a quick learner

But he does need to put up more points

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hard to argue with anyone on the first page here ^ or here v

Players pay attention to plus minus over many games I'd much rather lead my team in plusses than minuses.
Getting scored against 5 on 5 is never a good feeling no matter how the goal goes in.

Interesting lists: Some of the best hockey players who ever played in the league!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This off-season he should be swapped for a young underachieving forward.

Someone like Zadina, Frost, Kostin, Denisenko, etc...
I'm not bought in to this just yet.

We don't have any other LD prospects other than Kleven on the horizon (Sanderson gets #2 LD next year of course) and none that seem to be able to move between LD/RD or move the puck like he can.

I don't believe all 3rd pairings require size either and am intrigued about the possibility of Brann being able to transition the puck against lower lines.

Give him a decent RD and we not be stuck in our zone much at all with Chabot and Sandy on 1st two pairings.

Plus we have lots of maybe players at F as well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's not that bad defensively and makes a lot of good plays back there. Definitely still learning though which is to be expected from a small, young offensive D with barely a full season of experience.

I see a guy who is miles ahead of anyone on the roster right now offensively. Like it's not even close. Can you imagine any of the healthy D with the big club right now trying to accomplish anything offensively? Brannstrom creates offense consistently, everybody else is trying not to make a mistake.

I like Brannstrom but he is vulnerable to heavy fast forecheckers. I assume you are not including Chabot in your assessment.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

We don't have any other LD prospects other than Kleven on the horizon (Sanderson gets #2 LD next year of course) and none that seem to be able to move between LD/RD or move the puck like he can.

I don't believe all 3rd pairings require size either and am intrigued about the possibility of Brann being able to transition the puck against lower lines.

Give him a decent RD and we not be stuck in our zone much at all with Chabot and Sandy on 1st two pairings.

I'd rather deal him for a young forward than go into camp for the 3rd straight year with no open roster spot for him and having him be the 7th D.

Obviously it makes sense for the team to scratch Zaitsev and play Brannstrom, but we all know that's not happening under DJ, and there's no indication he's going to be fired this off-season.

If we can't find a taker for MDZ I'd rather keep him as the 7th D instead of buying him out. It's not like he has more developing to do.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

This is my thinking as well. Absolutely no rush to trade him away when we literally have nothing proven enough that is guaranteed to take his place next season.

I would play Brannstrom over any of Holden, Del Zotto, Zaitsev and Hamonic.

Chabot-
Sanderson-
Brannstrom-

Is the foundation of a cup winning defense.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
This is my thinking as well. Absolutely no rush to trade him away when we literally have nothing proven enough that is guaranteed to take his place next season.

I would play Brannstrom over any of Holden, Del Zotto, Zaitsev and Hamonic.

Chabot-
Sanderson-
Brannstrom-

Is the foundation of a cup winning defense.
Think you can safely pencil in Zub on the right side.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'd rather deal him for a young forward than go into camp for the 3rd straight year with no open roster spot for him and having him be the 7th D.

Obviously it makes sense for the team to scratch Zaitsev and play Brannstrom, but we all know that's not happening under DJ, and there's no indication he's going to be fired this off-season.

If we can't find a taker for MDZ I'd rather keep him as the 7th D instead of buying him out. It's not like he has more developing to do.
I can understand this reasoning.

Not suggesting Bran is going to be an integral piece of back end but it does bother me that we move on from him because of how badly bungled our D construction has been rather than for a proper hockey trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad