Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
So you don't have any other metric & are just blowing smoke & trying to curve the arguement in another direction.

Plus minus is kind of a fools gold statistic. If there's a massive outlier then I give it more thought, but besides that you cant judge shit rly by plus/minus

I always point back to Tom Preissing and Jeff Schultz are prime examples

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
If it's stupid why is the best league in the world using it? And if you are so smart tell me what you would use instead?
Because it’s an interesting stat? Not sure why you think it correlates to defensive play. Do you also think Brannstrom was just as good defensively as Zub last year while being better than Chabot?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Plus minus is kind of a fools gold statistic. If there's a massive outlier then I give it more thought, but besides that you cant judge shit rly by plus/minus

I always point back to Tom Preissing and Jeff Schultz are prime examples
It's one metric that is used as an indicator of a players performance in their own end, of course there are all kind of reasons for these things & other factors come into play but don't pretend it's not used when it clearly is or they wouldn't have it as a stat.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
It's one metric that is used as an indicator of a players performance in their own end, of course there are all kind of reasons for these things & other factors come into play but don't pretend it's not used when it clearly is or they wouldn't have it as a stat.

its the worst stat to use to determine anything really. You do you tho idc

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Every game everyone is overpowered. Brannstrom is still our fourth best d man by a mile who just passed a full season played. Brannstrom is far less overpowered than Zaitsev and brown. If he wasn’t 5’9 and played the exact same way people would say he’s decent defensively. Which he is
How do you project Brannstrom longterm? I definitely don't think he's as bad as some say, I just don't really know what type of player he will be. I've really been disappointed with him on the PP this year and that's thrown things into question for me. Not entirely his fault, but I had higher hopes on that front. Other than that he's been about as expected... some warts but also does some things well that few other guys on our team do adequately

Just some context on PP: last year Brann had 10PP points in 54m02s while our PP was at 16.2%. This year he has 3PP points in 52m35s while our PP is at 17.6%. It's not just the stats, though, it's the eye test. Last year I thought he looked really dynamic and like a game changer on the PP, this year I haven't seen it at all. I think he needs to be really good on the PP if he wants to be a truly useful player.

Last edited:

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
So Brann was better than Chabot defensively last season while being as good as Zub. Good to know.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Because it’s an interesting stat? Not sure why you think it correlates to defensive play. Do you also think Brannstrom was just as good defensively as Zub last year while being better than Chabot?
It's more than an interesting stat it's an indicator of a player's performance in their own end, but of course it's only one indicator & many other factors go into it like time on ice, d-zone starts, who they are defending against etc... However, when a players pus/minus is quite high like Stutzle at a -22 & Brannstrom at -14 you have to look at why & IMO it's quite clear why. Zaitsev gets a lot more D-zone starts than Brannstrom does, as does J. Brown & Holden because they are all better defensively. Brannstrom is better than all three at skating the puck out of his own end once he gets that opportunity, but when the other team has the puck he is a liability. When Chabot is healthy Brann is a 3rd pairing D & when Sanderson gets here he will be behind him as well. Mete has the exact same problem although Brann is slightly better than Mete getting the puck out.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When you can get a + or - just because you stepped on the ice at the right or wrong time it is a pretty bad stat.

Brannstroms is 2nd among D in Corsi and Fenwick for what it is worth and despite playing on average 4 mins more per game than Brown has 1 more giveaway (21 compared to 20).

For comparison Chabot leads by a mile with 63 and then Zub and Brady come in with 48 and 45 respectively. That said, the league leaders tend to be the best players because they have the puck a lot and try things other players wouldn't.

Brann's point totals are unsustainably low - with even a bit of good fortune he should have 15 points and in 31 games would be pretty damn good.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How do you project Brannstrom longterm? I definitely don't think he's as bad as some say, I just don't really know what type of player he will be. I've really been disappointed with him on the PP this year and that's thrown things into question for me. Not entirely his fault, but I had higher hopes on that front. Other than that he's been about as expected... some warts but also does some things well that few other guys on our team do adequately

Just some context on PP: last year Brann had 10PP points in 54m02s while our PP was at 16.2%. This year he has 3PP points in 52m35s while our PP is at 17.6%. It's not just the stats, though, it's the eye test. Last year I thought he looked really dynamic and like a game changer on the PP, this year I haven't seen it at all. I think he needs to be really good on the PP if he wants to be a truly useful player.
Okay that second PP is an absolute disaster. Sanford ennis tierney like cmon now. No one is transforming whatever the f*** that is.

He needs to be better offensively. But it could be a matter of the puck just not going in when he’s on the ice. It could be. A matter of just working on his defensive game. He’s sacrificed some offense.

He’s got what 24 points in 90 games or something? I dono. That’s not THAT bad.

I truthfully don’t know how to project him. And I’m not saying that he will be a star or that we are dumb for trading him or that he’s untouchable. He can be A breakout machine. Esepcallly on a very good second/ third pairing and possibly used as a Swiss Army knife type d man. Play up with Chabot and Sanderson when we need to get moving and so forth.

My arguments are that he’s the 4th best d man on this team right now. And I think he’s the third best when Holden has to babysit Zaitsev.

And. He’s the fourth best defensive d man on this team. What better than brown and Zaitsev.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except that he is 5'9" & gets overpowered by the big NHL forwards all the time, yes he is good at skating the puck out & is a good passer, but in his own end is a liability because of his lack of size & strength.
J brown also gets overpowers by big nhl forwards. We are among the worst teams in the nhl we all get overpowered by the big good nhl towards.

J brown is a liability in his own zone for his own reasons. A bigger liability.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If it's stupid why is the best league in the world using it? And if you are so smart tell me what you would use instead?
I think NHL knows if they get rid of +/- there will be a new freedom convoy protesting at NHL HQ

It’s an old stat which is why it’s around.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
J brown also gets overpowers by big nhl forwards. We are among the worst teams in the nhl we all get overpowered by the big good nhl towards.

J brown is a liability in his own zone for his own reasons. A bigger liability.

I love how people say that Brannstrom has trouble with big forwards. This is true in net front battles and in tight quarters.

But J. Bro and Nikky Z struggle against ALL shape, size and ability of forward.

It's weird.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are they using it to determine defensive ability? News to me.

Did you think Wiecioch was the best defensive player on the team in 12-13?

Did you think Priessing was a defensive stud in 06-07?

Was Phillips a worse defensive player than Karlsson in 10-11?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I love how people say that Brannstrom has trouble with big forwards. This is true in net front battles and in tight quarters.

It's weird.
I’m not even sure brannstrom gets dominated any more by big forwards than any other third pairing d man. Big forwards are used for a reason. They’re effective. Not just against smaller d men. He seems to usually be totally fine.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's more than an interesting stat it's an indicator of a player's performance in their own end, but of course it's only one indicator & many other factors go into it like time on ice, d-zone starts, who they are defending against etc... However, when a players pus/minus is quite high like Stutzle at a -22 & Brannstrom at -14 you have to look at why & IMO it's quite clear why. Zaitsev gets a lot more D-zone starts than Brannstrom does, as does J. Brown & Holden because they are all better defensively. Brannstrom is better than all three at skating the puck out of his own end once he gets that opportunity, but when the other team has the puck he is a liability. When Chabot is healthy Brann is a 3rd pairing D & when Sanderson gets here he will be behind him as well. Mete has the exact same problem although Brann is slightly better than Mete getting the puck out.

Now do Nick Paul at -18.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not the worst stat, but requires a lot of context.
I have trouble thinking of a worse stat.

Its not per game or per min so it's tough to do an apples to apples comparison

It treats empty net goals the same as regular goals

Somebody playing on the PP can only get negatives while PK time can only get positives,

Plays a player isn't involved in can count for or against them, for example Chabot's line change to go off injured without signaling had Brannstrom scramble over the boards just in time for Zaitsev to turn a 2on 1 into a 2 on none goal.

It is severely impacted by the goaltending quality.

And the list goes on.

Honestly, what's a worse stat?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I have trouble thinking of a worse stat.

Its not per game or per min so it's tough to do an apples to apples comparison

It treats empty net goals the same as regular goals

Somebody playing on the PP can only get negatives while PK time can only get positives,

Plays a player isn't involved in can count for or against them, for example Cgabots line change to go off injured with signally had Brannstrom scramble over the boards just in time for Zaitsev to turn a 2on 1 into a 2 on none goal.

It is severely impacted by the goaltending quality.

And the list goes on.

Honestly, what's a worse stat?

Now that we have Corsi and Fenwick and their relative metrics, plus minus is probably ther worst stat out there. I certainly can't think of a worse one. At least over the course of a season.

If a player is +1000 over a 20 year career they were likely a pretty good player. But over a a season or three there is way too much noise for it to be useful.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Now that we have Corsi and Fenwick and their relative metrics, plus minus is probably ther worst stat out there. I certainly can't think of a worse one. At least over the course of a season.

If a player is +1000 over a 20 year career they were likely a pretty good player. But over a a season or three there is way too much noise for it to be useful.
The only thing worse than +/- is combined +/-

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

+/- is sort of interesting when it’s massive numbers. Like yeah if an entire team is -30 and one guy is +15 yeah I’m intrigued by that. But to be like “yo this guy is -8 and this other guy is -11 what does that tell you?!?!” Tells me nothing

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

It's weird.
Some people will defend the team no matter what

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Like I said, it requires context. Subjective stats like hits, giveaways, takeaways, etc are undeniably worse.
Are they? Being subjective doesn't intrinsically make something worse than not subjective, in fact, subjectivity often improves evaluation. Certainly there's less consistency when you add subjectivity, but I disagree with you that hits for example is worse than plus minus. Hits, describes what it intends to describe quite well, there's not a lot of ambiguity what it means. It's clear looking at the hits stats on a given team who throws more hits, look at Ottawa and you can tell who's throwing hits. it's not clear what Chris Phillip's plus minus compared to Karlssoms in 10-11 meant, or Priessing's +42 vs Redden's +1 in 06-07.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad