Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Thought Brann was fine last night.

Is it PDO that shows "luck"? I swear he deserves more points that what he has given the breakouts and offensive zone possession he maintains.
PDO is on-ice shooting % + on-ice save %. It "should" add up to 100. Brannstrom is at 96.5 currently, with an average/slightly above average save % and a well below average shooting %. His career average is 98.2.

So, while he hasn't had a great PDO, it is still well within the range of non-significance. If his shooting % improved enough to bring his PDO up to 100, he'd be on the ice for approx 25 goals for instead of 14. 5 pts on 14 goals translates to 8 or 9 pts on 25 goals. Not a huge difference.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
PDO is on-ice shooting % + on-ice save %. It "should" add up to 100. Brannstrom is at 96.5 currently, with an average/slightly above average save % and a well below average shooting %. His career average is 98.2.

So, while he hasn't had a great PDO, it is still well within the range of non-significance. If his shooting % improved enough to bring his PDO up to 100, he'd be on the ice for approx 25 goals for instead of 14. 5 pts on 14 goals translates to 8 or 9 pts on 25 goals. Not a huge difference.
Thanks for the breakdown!

I still have to believe he has more output to provide...maybe Sens coloured glasses.

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I still have to believe he has more output to provide...maybe Sens coloured glasses.
I am with you on this. I think it will come with further development in the NHL

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I think so, too... I am pretty comfortable projecting him as a 35-45pt D. He hasn't had good luck, that's for sure, and he has only been able to run a pretty anemic PP.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thought Brann was fine last night.

Is it PDO that shows "luck"? I swear he deserves more points that what he has given the breakouts and offensive zone possession he maintains.

He deserves at least 5+ more assists and a couple goals. Players just haven't finished on some of his great set-ups and obviously a 0% shooting percentage is not sustainable, especially since he has a good shot.

Unfortunately almost all of those points would have come weeks ago when he was playing like a top 4 D coming back from his injury. He seems to have regressed back into survival mode and hasn't been playing well for awhile.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He deserves at least 5+ more assists and a couple goals. Players just haven't finished on some of his great set-ups and obviously a 0% shooting percentage is not sustainable, especially since he has a good shot.

Unfortunately almost all of those points would have come weeks ago when he was playing like a top 4 D coming back from his injury. He seems to have regressed back into survival mode and hasn't been playing well for awhile.

A little puck luck would have gone a long way earlier for sure. He seems to lose confidence relatively easily and I think it sends him in a spiral sometimes. Potting a few early might have helped in that regard.

I also think he's playing WAY more hockey than he ever has before. The SHL and the AHL have much less busy schedules than the NHL in a regular year. This year has been another level of crazy. Brannstrom was looking really good until about 5 games ago. Then his play has dropped off. Could easily be fatigue, but it could also just be a 22 year old having an uneven season. All pretty typical stuff from a young D who is transitioning into an NHL regular.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That goal against Vegas was very unlucky. Brannstrom had a great shift but on paper it would look like he sucked.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That goal against Vegas was very unlucky. Brannstrom had a great shift but on paper it would look like he sucked.
His job is to get the puck through.. he had lots of space; he wound up and tried to blast it through.. riskier attempt. I am confident he could have got the puck through with another decision

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
I'm the "Never in my life have I seen a prospect mismanaged to the extent of Erik Brannstrom" guy.

I haven't been impressed at all with his play this season and am quickly beginning to lose hope. He's been given all kinds of opportunities and hasn't seized any of them.

I would be extremely surprised if he's on the roster to start next season and it's looking like his ceiling is a bottom pairing PP guy who plays very sheltered minutes.

Says a lot about the state of the Brannstrom saga if one of the biggest Brannchise truthers out there is losing hope.

Reactions: BigRig4 and Yak

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm the "Never in my life have I seen a prospect mismanaged to the extent of Erik Brannstrom" guy.

I haven't been impressed at all with his play this season and am quickly beginning to lose hope. He's been given all kinds of opportunities and hasn't seized any of them.

I would be extremely surprised if he's on the roster to start next season and it's looking like his ceiling is a bottom pairing PP guy who plays very sheltered minutes.

Says a lot about the state of the Brannstrom saga if one of the biggest Brannchise truthers out there is losing hope.
I love “Brannchise Truther”

Reactions: BigRig4

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

he just passed a full season in the NHL.

I dono. Maybe I expectations started low? I’ve been impressed lol. Look at the games Chabot was out. He played almost 30 minutes and was fine.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I am done with Branny, I've seen enough to say he is not going to flourish here. I think PD 's comment yesterday was pure posturing for trading him. He will part of a trade to bring in. Top 6 F or Top 4 D.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he looked fine tonight

too bad he is with an absolute anchor of a partner

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He does not create offense , he creates choas. Him and Brown are easy pickings. Even if you put him with Chabot or Zub they have to overcompensate for his defensive liability.
he needs a stable partner who can actually help him cover up for young player mistakes

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I guess Chabot, Zub and Holden were not good enough to cover his young player mistakes? Can't babysit this kid. He is defensemen not a sniper forward.

He looked really good with Holden in the preseason but has never gotten to play with him. He's played two pretty good games in a row. He had a half dozen bad ones before that. And before that he played great for a dozen games or so.

He's young and inconsistent. I think the team needs to see if he can find consistency but he can't do that with a bottom 10 in the NHL defenseman. Brown is terrible. Yet he somehow has never been sent to the minors. It's unreal.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I guess Chabot, Zub and Holden were not good enough to cover his young player mistakes? Can't babysit this kid. He is defensemen not a sniper forward.
hes good with Zub and Holden though

Also I would play him in the bottom pair for now with Holden

unfortunately Zaitsev/Brown can't be a second pair

Sens need to find a solid top 4 D asap

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They need to do something about Brannstrom he's just not big enough to handle NHL forwards, but yea every now & then he skates out of the D-zone with the puck.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
They need to do something about Brannstrom he's just not big enough to handle NHL forwards, but yea every now & then he skates out of the D-zone with the puck.

LOL. Yeah because it was Brannstrom who made one of the worst defensive plays I've seen this year leading to the GWG.

Worrying about the inconsistencies of a 22 year old while we consistently roll out possibly the worst defenseman in the NHL as a regular shows some pretty weird priorities.

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
At least he can do that unlike Zaitsev and Brown who can't do both lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad