Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes he has. What about various other high draft pick d that stepped out of 2 years of college immediately into top 4 roles?

I think the team feels that Sanderson is stepping right into a top 4 role and I highly suspect they have him pegged as the left side shut down D
I’d be very happy if he jumped in like Werenski, Hughes, MacAvoy and Makar. I’m not expecting that, but I’d be very happy. I can’t see him carrying a pair next season on the Sens, would love to be proven wrong, but I see some of the expected growing pains in his rookie.

I’ve been a huge supporter of Sanderson long before we drafted him, I think he will be amazing, I think his arrival will be the 2023-24 season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’d be very happy if he jumped in like Werenski, Hughes, MacAvoy and Makar. I’m not expecting that, but I’d be very happy. I can’t see him carrying a pair next season on the Sens, would love to be proven wrong, but I see some of the expected growing pains in his rookie.

I’ve been a huge supporter of Sanderson long before we drafted him, I think he will be amazing, I think his arrival will be the 2023-24 season.
I’m hoping he gets Zub for the full season next year.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I honestly don't know what to expect. Some of the guys you mentioned were having an impact in their D+2 season in the NHL.

Why not Sanderson? He's a gifted skater. I think size wise he's the biggest of the bunch you mentioned. Maturity wise he's D+3, not D+2 so more mature.

At some point our supposed future elite players need to be doing what current elite players did on the same development path.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agreed. The fact that everyone thinks Sanderson will step in the NHL as a rookie D-Man and dominate terrifies me

I don't think anyone thinks Sanderson is going to dominate in his rookie season, we didn't expect that from Stutzle so I don't see why we would expect that from Sanderson. What is most likely to transpire is that he will be eased into the team with controlled minutes & controlled situations. Most likely he will start on the bottom pairing & as he gets more comfortable he will start to move up in the lineup.

Brannstrom afterall has shown that he can't play in the top 4 & basically spends most of the time on the bottom pairing. And given how many experts think Sanderson is going to at some point be an impact player like they think Stutzle some day will be an impact player will allow him the time he needs to get to that point. It won't happen over night, but it will likely happen, Sanderson is just so talented, he's a great skater, high hockey IQ, great passer & can control the tempo of games himself.

The only issue I see with out D going forward is we don't have the type of guys that can clear the net when a player like Tkachuck sets himself up there.

Well, we could have those type of guys coming in Kleven who could leave school this yr & we could also see Roger at some point turning pro, both are big tough stay at home defencemen who bring size & play with an edge. I see both as future blueliners on a 3rd pairing on this team, but it could take a few yrs.

Giving up on Brann means we traded Stone for a 2nd. That would mean somebody is terrible at thier job and shouldn't be allowed to do it anymore. That leads to other things that shall not be mentioned. I think Brann might be a convergence of many issues with this team. I feel kinda bad for the kid. He's 22?, on a garbage team and everything he does is analyzed to death. He hasn't even played a full season yet. Giving up on Brann means giving up on many things.

Whatever they get for Brannstrom should they trade him would be added to the 2nd they got from Vegas, so it's not just a 2nd for Stone. IMO they got what they could for Stone who wanted to go to a cup contender. What else could they have done?

Brannstrom has the unfortunate circumstance to be playing for a team that has one elite LD in Chabot & another potential elite LD coming in Sanderson, both of which will eventually be in the top 4. Holden LD has another yr here & should likely take that 3rd LD spot & if Heatherington is re-signed could be a depth LD or even Aspirot LD. If Kleven LD decides to leave school after this yr he could also be in the mix although I expect him to start in Belleville.

On the right side, like it or not double Z, Zaitsev & Zub will likely take two of the three RD spots. Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson & maybe Guennette will fight for the final spot & there is always the possibility that management could bring in another exerienced defenceman who they will need to beat out as well. There is also the possibility that Ottawa drafts a RD which could also play into the mix next season.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I honestly don't know what to expect. Some of the guys you mentioned were having an impact in their D+2 season in the NHL.

Why not Sanderson? He's a gifted skater. I think size wise he's the biggest of the bunch you mentioned. Maturity wise he's D+3, not D+2 so more mature.

At some point our supposed future elite players need to be doing what current elite players did on the same development path.

Indeed.

We pretty much need Sanderson to be able to contribute at a high level in 22-23. As you've alluded to, that's what the truly high-end players do. If he struggles to establish himself and the team is bad again next season then the rebuild is probably in pretty dire straits.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Indeed.

We pretty much need Sanderson to be able to contribute at a high level in 22-23. As you've alluded to, that's what the truly high-end players do. If he struggles to establish himself and the team is bad again next season then the rebuild is probably in pretty dire straits.

I agree with this. Sanderson in next year. We need to take a major step forward.

Key for us will be less critical injuries next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Indeed.

Question is when. Ideally we don't have to count on him playing NHL quality top 4 D out of the gate.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Question is when. Ideally we don't have to count on him playing NHL quality top 4 D out of the gate.

Immediately. If he's not, that's a bad sign for his potential and for the team as a whole.

This guy is a top-5 pick. He should be plug-and-play in his D+3.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
And if he doesn't /

Probably have to downgrade his potential. Guys that are going to be really good NHL players typically show it very early on in their career. He should get a decent run of games [12-15] to get his feet wet, so October 2022 should be go time for him.

The team will struggle in that case, which means you're probably looking at moving Connor Brown and Artem Zub at the deadline. That will extend the rebuild.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Probably have to downgrade his potential. Guys that are going to be really good NHL players typically show it very early on in their career. He should get a decent run of games [12-15] to get his feet wet, so October 2022 should be go time for him.

The team will struggle in that case, which means you're probably looking at moving Connor Brown and Artem Zub at the deadline. That will extend the rebuild.
Nevermind the downgrade .. what happens to the Sens Dcorps if you count on him being a top 4 out of the gate and its too early?

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Nevermind the downgrade .. what happens to the Sens Dcorps if you count on him being a top 4 out of the gate and its too early?

28 minutes for Chabot. Holden and Zub as the second pairing.

Start looking at trade options to fill the gap.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
28 minutes for Chabot. Holden and Zub as the second pairing.

Start looking at trade options to fill the gap.

Just playing devils advocate.. I think Sanderson will be great .. Its a jump to the NHL and saying 2nd pair off the bat ..I don't know .. I'd like it to be so. I just think if the Sens want to contend next year .. they need to add on D .. A top 4 would be good. We need to get stronger on D
If Sanderson needs even half a season.. to get to .. a place where we want him on the ice as much as possible.
Chabot Zub
Holden X or Zaitsev (since he's not going anywhere) Holden can play R side if we add a t4 lefty
Sanderson X ( It would be nice to pencil Thomson or JBD in here) I am not sold on them being ready out of the gate for full time NHL jobs.

Zaitsev has to go imo ... I would hate to saddle Sanderson with that.

Reactions: HSF

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I honestly think upcoming UFA Jan Rutta might be a fantastic fit for Ottawa. He's Hedman's partner in Tampa, and plays RD. If he can compliment Hedman (like Methot did Karlsson to a certain extent) then he could be a good player to pair with Chabot, allowing Zub to slide down and help Sanderson.

Chabot - Rutta
Sanderson - Zub
Holden - Zaitsev
Brannstrom

Note: He shouldn't be that expensive even if we have to overpay.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Just playing devils advocate.. I think Sanderson will be great .. Its a jump to the NHL and saying 2nd pair off the bat ..I don't know .. I'd like it to be so. I just think if the Sens want to contend next year .. they need to add on D .. A top 4 would be good. We need to get stronger on D
If Sanderson needs even half a season.. to get to .. a place where we want him on the ice as much as possible.
Chabot Zub
Holden X or Zaitsev (since he's not going anywhere) Holden can play R side if we add a t4 lefty
Sanderson X ( It would be nice to pencil Thomson or JBD in here) I am not sold on them being ready out of the gate for full time NHL jobs.

Zaitsev has to go imo ... I would hate to saddle Sanderson with that.

I think the most likely plan for the defense is...

Chabot-Zaitsev
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Thomson

Top pairing is far from ideal, but there isn't really any alternative. We're stuck with Zaitsev so they're gonna have to play him - maybe they can dump him in summer 2023 to clear the path for Bernard-Docker.

I don't foresee them adding much - not with Sanderson, Thomson, and JBD on the horizon. Those guys are going to be given every chance to play.

Sanderson is going to be thrown into the fire and we're going to find out whether he's special or if he's just another Sens hype job.

Reactions: The Expert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Chabot-Zaitsev
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Thomson

Top pairing is far from ideal, but there isn't really any alternative. We're stuck with Zaitsev so they're gonna have to play him - maybe they can dump him in summer 2023 to clear the path for Bernard-Docker.

I don't foresee them adding much - not with Sanderson, Thomson, and JBD on the horizon. Those guys are going to be given every chance to play.

Sanderson is going to be thrown into the fire and we're going to find out whether he's special or if he's just another Sens hype job.
JBD and Thomson are both ready to make the jump next year. I’ve got a suspicion the GM will try unloading Zaitsev this summer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Chabot-Zaitsev
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Thomson

We definitely could see that and it probably is likely. I just don't think we contend with that next year and I think we have some growing pains early in the year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Thought Brann was fine last night.

Is it PDO that shows "luck"? I swear he deserves more points that what he has given the breakouts and offensive zone possession he maintains.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thought Brann was fine last night.

Is it PDO that shows "luck"? I swear he deserves more points that what he has given the breakouts and offensive zone possession he maintains.
He was fine other than the Zaitsevian shot into the shin pads that led to the first goal.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was fine other than the Zaitsevian shot into the shin pads that led to the first goal.
Yes that sucked but it happens...perfect bounce off the block for a breakaway is bad luck.

He can't catch a break this year but DJ is still giving him lots of ice time so I wonder how he and the rest of the org are feeling about his play overall.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes that sucked but it happens...perfect bounce off the block for a breakaway is bad luck.

He can't catch a break this year but DJ is still giving him lots of ice time so I wonder how he and the rest of the org are feeling about his play overall.
It sucked that it happened but D need to be more aware. It’s not bad luck it was a bad decision.

Reactions: The Expert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad