Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
And Sanderson.

And this is where I get worried. Every rookie NHL blueliner needs a solid partner to be successful int he league. Even guys who are eventual HHOFers. Ottawa ignoring that fact is one of the reasons why our back end fails year after year. Hell, even Ceci is playing much better in a better system.

I'm not a big fan of Brann, and I don't think he'll really be anything more than a #4 at best, but we also set him up to fail.

Agreed. The fact that everyone thinks Sanderson will step in the NHL as a rookie D-Man and dominate terrifies me

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's played 172 minutes with Brown and 105 minutes with Chabot - those are by far his two most common partners. His pairing with Brown has far better xGF%, SCF% and HDCF% numbers and that's even accounting for his pairing with Chabot being spoon-fed ultra soft deployment. Chabot's numbers with Lassi Thomson and JBD are far, far better in similar sample sizes of 128 and 90 minutes respectively.

They are trying to put this guy in a position to succeed and he simply isn't good enough to run with the ball.

The kid doesn't have it.
100% what I’ve seen. Be prepared for the group coming at you with its everyone’s fault but Brannstrom. It’s like a crazy cult.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He's played 172 minutes with Brown and 105 minutes with Chabot - those are by far his two most common partners. His pairing with Brown has far better xGF%, SCF% and HDCF% numbers and that's even accounting for his pairing with Chabot being spoon-fed ultra soft deployment.

And the big difference? Brown is a right hand shot allowing Brannstrom to play his strong side. Chabot is a left hand shot causing Brannstrom to have to slide to his weak side. And how does this play out when Sanderson arrives? Even more lop sided.

While I am a fan of Sanderson, I can only think of how much more stable the D would look today (and for at least the next 5 years) with a Chabot/Drysdale, Brannstrom/Zub and Holden/Zaitsev pairing with JBD and Thomson pushing Zaitsev eventually.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And the big difference? Brown is a right hand shot allowing Brannstrom to play his strong side. Chabot is a left hand shot causing Brannstrom to have to slide to his weak side. And how does this play out when Sanderson arrives? Even more lop sided.

While I am a fan of Sanderson, I can only think of how much more stable the D would look today (and for at least the next 5 years) with a Chabot/Drysdale, Brannstrom/Zub and Holden/Zaitsev pairing with JBD and Thomson pushing Zaitsev eventually.
Chabot Thomson will be fine. Drysdale is having his own struggles but will be very good.

Sanderson Zub. Having Sanderson and Chabot each anchor a pair allows us to cover 45-50 minutes a game.

Holden JBD Another rookie comes in with a good veteran support.

That D looks so much better without Zaitsev, Brannstrom and Brown.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot Thomson will be fine. Drysdale is having his own struggles but will be very good.

Sanderson Zub. Having Sanderson and Chabot each anchor a pair allows us to cover 45-50 minutes a game.

The only issue I see with out D going forward is we don't have the type of guys that can clear the net when a player like Tkachuck sets himself up there.

Reactions: aragorn

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
100% what I’ve seen. Be prepared for the group coming at you with its everyone’s fault but Brannstrom. It’s like a crazy cult.
Giving up on Brann means we traded Stone for a 2nd. That would mean somebody is terrible at thier job and shouldn't be allowed to do it anymore. That leads to other things that shall not be mentioned. I think Brann might be a convergence of many issues with this team. I feel kinda bad for the kid. He's 22?, on a garbage team and everything he does is analyzed to death. He hasn't even played a full season yet. Giving up on Brann means giving up on many things.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Giving up on Brann means we traded Stone for a 2nd. That would mean somebody is terrible at thier job and shouldn't be allowed to do it anymore. That leads to other things that shall not be mentioned. I think Brann might be a convergence of many issues with this team. I feel kinda bad for the kid. He's 22?, on a garbage team and everything he does is analyzed to death. He hasn't even played a full season yet. Giving up on Brann means giving up on many things.
At some point you accept you made a bad trade and move on. Hell Tom Kurvers turned into Scott Neidermeyer and Rask for Raycroft, etc. Live in the present, plan for the future and learn from the past.

Reactions: yogibear

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's played 172 minutes with Brown and 105 minutes with Chabot - those are by far his two most common partners. His pairing with Brown has far better xGF%, SCF% and HDCF% numbers and that's even accounting for his pairing with Chabot being spoon-fed ultra soft deployment. Chabot's numbers with Lassi Thomson and JBD are far, far better in similar sample sizes of 128 and 90 minutes respectively.

They are trying to put this guy in a position to succeed and he simply isn't good enough to run with the ball.

The kid doesn't have it.

Sorry but playing with Josh Brown and "in a position to succeed" just DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Erik Brannstrom is still 22 years old. He has played 88 games in the NHL so far, produced 22 pts. It's not great production but it's decent

His strength for now is his PP work, he needs more minutes. He plays 1:51 PP TOI/GP (Chabot plays 3:31), but more minutes with better linemates could help him put better numbers. To his defense too, Sens have had several key injuries. It's much easier to produce when Norris and Batherson are on the ice, particularly on the PP

He's also good in transition and has a good breakout pass. His problem is when the other team has the puck in the offensive zone. Playing with Josh Brown is not going to help him. Unfortunately playing with Chabot doesn't work much either, maybe they're right and he just can't defend when playing on RD.

However playing with Zub works as they are able to keep the puck out of their net. Only 1 goal against at EV in 73:20 (vs 8 GA with Brown in 172:34 and 9 GA with Chabot in 116:22). So that's how you could get the kid comfortable at the NHL level

He's not going to be the next Erik Karlsson. I'm not sure why Dorion made these comments about the "proudest day" as it was putting enormous pressure and expectations on the kid right from the start. I mean, he was already the main return for Mark freaking Stone.

And Sanderson.

And this is where I get worried. Every rookie NHL blueliner needs a solid partner to be successful int he league. Even guys who are eventual HHOFers. Ottawa ignoring that fact is one of the reasons why our back end fails year after year. Hell, even Ceci is playing much better in a better system.

I'm not a big fan of Brann, and I don't think he'll really be anything more than a #4 at best, but we also set him up to fail.

Yes, we're kinda lucky that guys like Batherson, Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle and Chabot have been relatively successful despite that they had to do it by themselves for the most part (outside of Tkachuk with Stone = Pageau and Chabot with a damaged EK)

That's the thing, Brannstrom is not at these guys level, he can't do it on his own.

Well only have 3 NHL caliber D?

3.5!

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
At some point you accept you made a bad trade and move on. Hell Tom Kurvers turned into Scott Neidermeyer and Rask for Raycroft, etc. Live in the present, plan for the future and learn from the past.
I agree. But if Brann flops and Stone trade is a Rask for Raycroft trade, it shows that somebody is not learning from the past and has a sketchy plan for the future.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ppl still shitting on brannstrom when he is not the problem

throwing in young guys with zero support from veterans is why this team sucks

It’s the same upfront just hoping and praying guys find their way with zero structure from guys who have done it before

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

So your solution to fix this defense is by introducing two rookies and having one of them ‘anchor’ the defense

you can’t fool me dorion

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Zero chance Dorion thinks Sanderson is fixing this D … it’s just a question of how much he has to pay to get a top 4D here without a NTC and at least 3 years of control.

That probably starts with a Ridley Greig type prospect.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So your solution to fix this defense is by introducing two rookies and having one of them ‘anchor’ the defense

you can’t fool me dorion
Each rookie has a very capable veteran and within a couple years Sanderson will anchor the 2nd pair.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ppl still shitting on brannstrom when he is not the problem

throwing in young guys with zero support from veterans is why this team sucks

It’s the same upfront just hoping and praying guys find their way with zero structure from guys who have done it before
If you can’t see that Brannstrom is as much of a problem as Zaitsev and Brown then you aren’t actually watching his play. He is a complete non factor in his own end, doesn’t defend the rush well and isn’t generating any offence. Just because we have other bad players doesn’t mean Brannstrom isn’t a bust as well.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Zero chance Dorion thinks Sanderson is fixing this D … it’s just a question of how much he has to pay to get a top 4D here without a NTC and at least 3 years of control.

That probably starts with a Ridley Greig type prospect.

What impact you figure 6oa Seider is having in Detroit in his d+3 season?

Ridley Greig isn't going to get you a top 4 D that's signed for 3 years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you can’t see that Brannstrom is as much of a problem as Zaitsev and Brown then you aren’t actually watching his play. He is a complete non factor in his own end, doesn’t defend the rush well and isn’t generating any offence. Just because we have other bad players doesn’t mean Brannstrom isn’t a bust as well.

Man you're really on about Brannstrom and Zaitsev lately

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What impact you figure 6oa Seider is having in Detroit in his d+3 season?

Ridley Greig isn't going to get you a top 4 D that's signed for 3 years.
To be fair, Seider played a season and a bit in the DEL, a season in the AHL, and then won top D in the SEL last season. He’s had a ton, ton more preparation for the NHL compared to Sanderson.

Sanderson has played 40 NCAA games and a handful or WJ games since being drafted. Seider had 150 pro games under his belt prior to his rookie season.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Man you're really on about Brannstrom and Zaitsev lately
The D isn’t one piece away, we have 2 long term pieces and a good place holder. The 3 kids not yet on the roster are better players so I want them to get a full year under their belt next year, each with a vet, in a year we are highly unlikely to make the playoffs. Having 6 good D with none of them rookies heading into 23/24 needs to be job 1

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Del Zotto lighting the lamp right now, imagine if that was Branny doing that down there, what you would say.

I would say “Brannstrom is lightning it up down there but Del Zotto is Such a crappy defenceman he looked bad playing for Ottawa.”

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To be fair, Seider played a season and a bit in the DEL, a season in the AHL, and then won top D in the SEL last season. He’s had a ton, ton more preparation for the NHL compared to Sanderson.

Yes he has. What about various other high draft pick d that stepped out of 2 years of college immediately into top 4 roles?

I think the team feels that Sanderson is stepping right into a top 4 role and I highly suspect they have him pegged as the left side shut down D

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The D isn’t one piece away, we have 2 long term pieces and a good place holder. The 3 kids not yet on the roster are better players so I want them to get a full year under their belt next year, each with a vet, in a year we are highly unlikely to make the playoffs. Having 6 good D with none of them rookies heading into 23/24 needs to be job 1
What's that got to do with Brannstrom and Zaitsev?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad