Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yup. The 2010s were going to bring Ottawa back to the glory days of having a stellar defence corps. Can't wait for the 2020s!
yup people are already pegging Sanderson i the top 4. It may work but with Zaitsev? thats rough

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
yup people are already pegging Sanderson i the top 4. It may work but with Zaitsev? thats rough
I think they should add to their top 4 and let him start on the bottom pair. As he improves make moves to let him move up. Holden is signed for 1 year. So that would be a natural if we don't re up him

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He won’t play with Zaitsev. It will be Zub or Holden.
then Chabot is stuck with Zaitsev and we go into next season with the same problem as last...

Holden probably isn't a top 4 on a playoff team which is what we should be aiming for. With his salary atleast we can play him on the bottom pair which I think he is great in

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think they should add to their top 4 and let him start on the bottom pair. As he improves make moves to let him move up. Holden is signed for 1 year. So that would be a natural if we don't re up him
i agree with this. If the plan is to make the playoffs they sens can't peg fixing their defense on a 20 year old.

Kinda reminds me of relying on Pinto to solidify the middle of the ice for us

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
then Chabot is stuck with Zaitsev and we go into next season with the same problem as last...

Holden probably isn't a top 4 on a playoff team which is what we should be aiming for. With his salary atleast we can play him on the bottom pair which I think he is great in
Until Thomson or JBD push Zaitsev to the 3rd pair or out of the lineup then he will unfortunately be with Chabot.

Holden is not a top 4 on a good team. See the comment above re: Thomson/JBD.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
i agree with this. If the plan is to make the playoffs they sens can't peg fixing their defense on a 20 year old.

Kinda reminds me of relying on Pinto to solidify the middle of the ice for us
Realities of life. There is no magical veteran top 4 coming to the rescue.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Really such as whom. How do you free up the money.
top 10 pick, 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders, greig, boucher, formenton, maybe pinto if its. a big fish. Sokolov, Jarventie for smaller deals

If the sens are so cash strapped then start moving guys out by attaching picks to them. Melnyk has been willing to spend its Dorion that has failed

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
top 10 pick, 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders, greig, boucher, formenton, maybe pinto if its. a big fish. Sokolov, Jarventie for smaller deals

If the sens are so cash strapped then start moving guys out by attaching picks to them. Melnyk has been willing to spend its Dorion that has failed

Is this the Melnyk from Bizarro world?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Cool, now we need a target. Who do you have in mind.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah... I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much done with him. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an every day NHL'er. Bottom 6, at best. Trade him, if he has any value left.

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
Yeah... I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much done with him. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an every day NHL'er. Bottom 6, at best. Trade him, if he has any value left.
He has no value. What a trade by Dorion.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Olli Juolevi just got put on waivers. That’s about Brannstrom’s value.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Absolutely. We haven't had depth on defense for yearsss. Tampa runs with Serge on its third pairing

Hardly. He averages almost 23 minutes a game. Near 5 minutes more a game than the number 5 D man. And is the top minute RHD D on the the team. He is not a third pairing D man.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I hope he would do better, but he's an offensive first D man with far behind Ceci offense. Let that sink in.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s replacement level. At the moment that puts him solidly in our top 5. Ugh.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Still better than Mete and Brown. I'd rather him than MDZ too. Unless he's part of a deal to help the team, I'd rather clean out the other guys fist and give Brannstrom another season.

He's definitely not going to be a key piece though.

Reactions: NB613

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's foolish to expect Erik Brannstrom to do well when his most common linemate is NOT even NHL level lol

Erik Brannstrom needs to play every game with Artem Zub.

Thomas Chabot needs Zub too. Heck, Nick Holden too

See the problem?

He's played 172 minutes with Brown and 105 minutes with Chabot - those are by far his two most common partners. His pairing with Brown has far better xGF%, SCF% and HDCF% numbers and that's even accounting for his pairing with Chabot being spoon-fed ultra soft deployment. Chabot's numbers with Lassi Thomson and JBD are far, far better in similar sample sizes of 128 and 90 minutes respectively.

They are trying to put this guy in a position to succeed and he simply isn't good enough to run with the ball.

The kid doesn't have it.

Reactions: gab6511

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's foolish to expect Erik Brannstrom to do well when his most common linemate is NOT even NHL level lol

Erik Brannstrom needs to play every game with Artem Zub.

Thomas Chabot needs Zub too. Heck, Nick Holden too

See the problem?

And Sanderson.

And this is where I get worried. Every rookie NHL blueliner needs a solid partner to be successful int he league. Even guys who are eventual HHOFers. Ottawa ignoring that fact is one of the reasons why our back end fails year after year. Hell, even Ceci is playing much better in a better system.

I'm not a big fan of Brann, and I don't think he'll really be anything more than a #4 at best, but we also set him up to fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad