Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Been trying to defend and like him as a young d but I think he’s done here now and I’m ok with that.

Reactions: aragorn

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
For his sake, and for the sake of his career as an NHL player, a trade out of Ottawa is probably best.

In the city he will always be known as "the guy we got for Stone", and that is a tough label to carry around and comes with way too much pressure. It also did not help that expectations were so high with him as a prospect and our desperate need for another high end d-man to crack the line up and help out Chabot.

If he goes to another team, he might get a second chance, as he will just be seen as a young defenseman they acquired with potential to be a top 6; no more pressure of being a top 4, no more expectations to live up to being "worth" trading away Stone for etc. He can just focus on improving his game and carving out a full time NHL career.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So … we want to pay a 25 year old Colin White $5.25 for a few more years becuase he has the potential to figure it out … but we want to dump a 22 year old dman who makes EL money?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The disingenuousness of this comparison is exactly why you have zero credibility.

Let me know when you can counter a point with something beyond an insult.

As a side note I’m not looking for credibility from posters who flame a GM for acquiring Hamonic or trading away EK, drafting Pinto etc. my points should generally feel absurd to you. No need to comment whether they are credible to you.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to control who posts or assign credibility … it’s Interesting to say the least.

That being said - in my world it makes no sense to dump Brann AND wait on White.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is no room for Brannstrom in the top 6 next year. I think it’s clear our top 6 will be

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson- Hamonic
Holden - Thomson

Del Zotto will be 7th D with JBD as the first RD call up.

Zaitsev and Brannstrom will be moved in the offseason.

Hamonic is the Zaitsev replacement.

The best D we’ve had in a long time

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There is no room for Brannstrom in the top 6 next year. I think it’s clear our top 6 will be

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson- Hamonic
Holden - Thomson

I think Holden is slotted as 6-8…. Always someone injured. Lassi starting is agressive. I hope he earns the spot but I doubt the org will lock him in.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Holden is slotted as 6-8…. Always someone injured. Lassi starting is agressive. I hope he earns the spot but I doubt the org will lock him in.
Thomson is locked in IMO. His usage in Belleville is a clear indication. Holden has earned that 3rd pair spot. Re signing Heatherington or someone of that ilk for 5LD is easy and Guenette is 5RD.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thomson is locked in IMO. His usage in Belleville is a clear indication. Holden has earned that 3rd pair spot. Re signing Heatherington or someone of that ilk for 5LD is easy and Guenette is 5RD.
I hope so… I think we may dump MDZ or someone else before Brann… I’m not against moving Brann I just don’t want to dump him.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This team's worst habit for the last 15 years has been holding on to prospects they've spent money and time developing until they were worth nothing. Every time a player struggled the popular refrain was "they're still young, they'll turn it around" until the player was neither young nor worth anything as an asset. I'd gladly sell Brannstrom this offseason to a GM who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room for pretty much anything. I'm not endorsing giving him away for the sake of it, so I'm hoping they can make a good deal but it's pretty clear his runway is ending here and they're grounding this plane before it even lifts off.
Sometimes it works. Took 7 years but Paul eventually came around. But yeah, its very very rare for a high end prospect to be a late bloomer.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t think having Brannstrom as a 7th D is fair to him
I think he can play above 7 … but more than that I worry if we lose Chabot early who runs the PP… this team needs a good start next year and 15 games early relying on Zub or two rookies
to run the PP could get ugly. Sanderson didn’t last one game at the Olympics.

I think his value will improve when he is 23-24 and we can survive giving him 60+ games next year until we are sure Sanderson and Lassi have arrived.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Wouldn't surprise me if he's part of a package (throw in) for Fiala in the summer. I still think there's potential there, you see some pretty special puck movement at times and he flashes good D every now and then. But not often enough and I think above comments are apt. We may not be the best opportunity for him to develop slowly.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson- Hamonic
Holden - Thomson

I don't think that's clear at all.

I guess we'll see what the team does over the summer.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think he can play above 7 … but more than that I worry if we lose Chabot early who runs the PP… this team needs a good start next year and 15 games early relying on Zub or two rookies
to run the PP could get ugly. Sanderson didn’t last one game at the Olympics.

I think his value will improve when he is 23-24 and we can survive giving him 60+ games next year until we are sure Sanderson and Lassi have arrived.
I thought early on Brannstrom would be a good PP option but as time has gone on I’m convinced Thomson or Sanderson could provide as much there. I’m not seeing enough offensive upside to Brannstrom to justify his faults.

For me Thomson has shown similar offence in the AHL this year compared to Brannstrom’s best AHL productivity.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Probably all Josh Brown's fault.

So GAR is a measure meaning Goals above Replacement. I think if you have a negative GAR it means you are below replacement level... or had a negative contribution to your team. Replacement level from what I gather is somewhere around the 22-25 percentile .. Meaning 75-78 would score higher.

Lots of data goes into it by the looks of it.

This measure is not about the clip that was embedded in the tweet.

@Sweatred are you be able to explain GAR to us?

To me Brannstrom can stay or go but I don't think there is enough there to get bent out of shape over one way or another. I don't see him in the starting 6. I could see him eventually going back to Sweden

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
MDZ
Brannstrom
Holden
Hamonic
Zaitsev

Too many variables to be a sure thing.
MDZ - it’s obvious he won’t be top 6 when we are healthy

Holden - Re-signed early and his deployment shows he is viewed as a top 6 which fills the left side.

Hamonic - Bringing him in with a year left on his deal shows they consider him a lock for a top 6 role next year.

Zaitsev - getting less prime minutes, too much smoke around unloading him. Coach calls Zub his best defender, GM wants Thomson and JBD eased in. Zaitsev is gone one way or the other.

Brannstrom - there is no room for him in the top 6 and I can’t see him as a 7th D, writing is all over that wall.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Really. What part do you disagree with ?
I don't think it's clear that the team moves on from Brannstrom or Zaitsev. The one individual thing this team does well is pk. We're 13th in that. Pk ice time leaders are Zaitsev and Holden. Who replaces that ice if we move on? The top 3 in pk ice time are Holden, Zub and Zaitsev. There really is no 4th guy, it's rotated all year. Holden is 35 next month. How long can he play 20 minutes?

We can possibly look at Sanderson and Harmonic picking up slack, but it is a strength that could become a weakness.

I do agree with Chabot Sanderson Hamonic and Zub as our top 4 guys. Certainly by mid season anyway. But I think it gets a little hazy after that

As an aside, I wonder what went down with mdz. That signing was ridiculed. I thought he looked ok in that first month, certainly delivering on the money he was being paid. But I have to think that something happened to be banished to the A for 5 months.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
MDZ - it’s obvious he won’t be top 6 when we are healthy

Holden - Re-signed early and his deployment shows he is viewed as a top 6 which fills the left side.

Hamonic - Bringing him in with a year left on his deal shows they consider him a lock for a top 6 role next year.

Zaitsev - getting less prime minutes, too much smoke around unloading him. Coach calls Zub his best defender, GM wants Thomson and JBD eased in. Zaitsev is gone one way or the other.

Brannstrom - there is no room for him in the top 6 and I can’t see him as a 7th D, writing is all over that wall.

I think your point about Thomson and JBD being eased in may leave Branny here for another while... and traded pre-trade deadline

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Let me know when you can counter a point with something beyond an insult.

As a side note I’m not looking for credibility from posters who flame a GM for acquiring Hamonic or trading away EK, drafting Pinto etc. my points should generally feel absurd to you. No need to comment whether they are credible to you.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to control who posts or assign credibility … it’s Interesting to say the least.

That being said - in my world it makes no sense to dump Brann AND wait on White.
You say you're not looking for credibility and then in the same post say it's an insult to say you have zero credibility. Which is it??? Not sure how my post gave you the impression that I'm "controlling who posts". LOL what an absurd and outlandish statement to make. Again, shows exactly why your posts always receive so much criticism. You bring it on yourself. Might wanna take a look in the mirror there, if you have one up on that pedestal you think you sit on.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don’t think having Brannstrom as a 7th D is fair to him

The 7th D ends up playing most of the season anyway. Injuries happen.

Its a bit of a let down that he hasn't done more since Chabot went down. Granted a lot of top offensive players have been out with injury as well, but it would have been nice to see him picking up some points on the powerplay.

He looks at home quarterbacking with the man advantage, but needs to shoot more.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me if he's part of a package (throw in) for Fiala in the summer. I still think there's potential there, you see some pretty special puck movement at times and he flashes good D every now and then. But not often enough and I think above comments are apt. We may not be the best opportunity for him to develop slowly.

what they are doing to him developmentally as a young pmd is crazy. its either play saddled with josh brown or play hard minutes as the teams primary pmd, as a basically rookie d on one of the worst teams in the league. And people are surprised he suffers?

At this point I hope he is traded as well because the expectations people have for him are pretty toxic.

I don't know if you guys remember but Chabot as early as last season was struggling mightily defensively playing behind this team.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad