Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
what would it take to get Ben in a wolves jersey?

I don't know if the team would trade him if I'm being honest. He has been a staple in a lot of games for the back and a major reason this team is sitting at .500 right now.

There would have to certainly be a solid net minder in return because Gibbons just isn't ready to take over at this juncture and given the state of the team with a playoff of bust mentality, he is carrying a higher value here than he would at market.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Better question...

Why do we outshoot the vast majority of our opponents to not win lol
Why do we play all these rookie and back up goaltenders and not win? It’s not to discredit them by any means, but why can’t we develop our goaltenders? Literally if you’re a goalie selected by Erie, run because we rarely have goalies with a .900 save percentage and above. In true Erie fashion they’re usually .85-.89 at best.

Everything this team does seems to be backwards thinking. It’s crazy.

Reactions: EOtterstracker

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Full disclosure- the rookie goalie who beat you tonight was Canada's third string goalie at the Hlinka Gretzky Tournament last summer who played until he won the Gold Medal game

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Full disclosure- the rookie goalie who beat you tonight was Canada's third string goalie at the Hlinka Gretzky Tournament last summer who played until he won the Gold Medal game
the other 06 Erie drafted was drafted ahead of George, ouch.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
the other 06 Erie drafted was drafted ahead of George, ouch.
Yet another mistake on Dave Brown’s part.
Having said that, the draft can be a crap shoot.
Often times guys with great AAA numbers don't translate to great OHL numbers .

I've also seen the opposite .

Sean Durzi was a 12th round pick of the Attack whose rounded into a solid NHLer.

You never know .

I'll tell you what, the Otters have some very elite players .

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
There goes the game. Match penalty for Holomego 5 mins that’ll carry to the 2nd period. He should’ve been sitting in the stands.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Impressive response and win. Down 5-2 and you score 6 straight. I give them credit because I certainly counted them out. Terrance is killing it. Just wish Molnar/Misiak would get going again. I think having Bressette on their line might spark them. Still issues with backup goalie situation and unless that is addressed, they won’t win consistently enough

Reactions: Mata and OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Impressive response and win. Down 5-2 and you score 6 straight. I give them credit because I certainly counted them out. Terrance is killing it. Just wish Molnar/Misiak would get going again. I think having Bressette on their line might spark them. Still issues with backup goalie situation and unless that is addressed, they won’t win consistently enough
Yep pretty much my game recap as well. Terrance has a huge work effort and hates to lose, arguably more than the average player.

It was nice to see Smith knock one in. He’s been on a dry spout so hopefully we see more from him.

Bigger question: Was the Holomego slew foot legit? From definition, I believe it was a good call. Of course he’s on our team and many would blame the refs, who weren’t great at the beginning. He’s on our team, but I’m not going to be a homer and be mad about it because he’s on our team. Intent wasn’t there, just a poor stick handling/out of body position.

Reactions: NOA

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
Why do we play all these rookie and back up goaltenders and not win? It’s not to discredit them by any means, but why can’t we develop our goaltenders? Literally if you’re a goalie selected by Erie, run because we rarely have goalies with a .900 save percentage and above. In true Erie fashion they’re usually .85-.89 at best.

Everything this team does seems to be backwards thinking. It’s crazy.
Only thing I could think of is that the goalie coach absolutely blows. Clearly something isn’t working with the goalie development so I think they should fire him and see how that works out. His name is Shane Clifford, FYI.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
@EOtterstracker Shane Clifford left the team at the beginning of the season. He’s coaching in Pittsburgh now. I don’t believe they have a goalie coach who took his place.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Didn’t know that. Went to the website and it says “Goaltending Consultant: Adrian Volpe”.
At the beginning of the year it said “Goaltending Coach: Shane Clifford” and Adrian Volpe was listed as his assistant.

Clifford had enough of Dave Brown and this is coming from Clifford himself.

Reactions: EOtterstracker

eriefan101

Nov 6, 2023
Not sure where this came from? Gibbons only played one period and made 11/12 saves, confused as to how a backup goalie can be blamed for going 1/2 this weekend.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not sure where this came from? Gibbons only played one period and made 11/12 saves, confused as to how a backup goalie can be blamed for going 1/2 this weekend.
I didn’t say that. All I said was “still issues” with the backup because last I checked, their backup is the same as it was a week ago. And going forward it’s a problem. Gibbons isn’t good enough and if they just keep playing BG every night, he won’t hold up. In order to maximum BG, they need a backup who can actually get in the rotation and not be an automatic loss. Unless or until that happens, they are just going to be floating around .500 the rest of the way

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
I noticed after Molnar’s goal (I think), he and Misiak took their gloves off and shook hands. Do they do that after every goal? If they do that’s pretty funny.

• Haha
Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I noticed after Molnar’s goal (I think), he and Misiak took their gloves off and shook hands. Do they do that after every goal? If they do that’s pretty funny.

Unsure...

I know a couple weeks back Misiak was pissed, or at least appeared to be, when Molnar tapped in an empty netter that was going to Misiak.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Carey Terrance named to U.S. preliminary roster for '24 World Jrs.

Martian Misiak named to Slovakia's preliminary roster for '24 World Jrs.

Erie Otters – up one spot to #12 this week
There’s been a logjam in the middle of the Power Rankings for the past several weeks, one the Otters sought to break-up with back-to-back games in Owen Sound over the weekend. After losing 5-4 in overtime to the Kitchener Rangers earlier in the week, the Otters dropped a 7-4 decision at the Bayshore on Saturday only to stage a big comeback in Sunday’s follow-up match. Down 5-2 early in the second period, Erie scored six unanswered to defeat the Attack 8-5, with sophomore forward Malcolm Spence leading the way with a goal and two assists while Pano Fimis netted a third period penalty shot. The Otters are still part of a closely-matched group of teams in the middle of the rankings, but manage to move ahead of Owen Sound with their big push to close-out Sunday’s affair.

Reactions: Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad