Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Maybe, maybe Gibbons, parents, agents were upset over a lack of starts and deserving of more; so, Butler thought they might want to see the level Gibbins is currently at
Exactly. We don’t know what the internal conversations were because we aren’t privy. Gibbons is also from Whitby so how much did that factor in, idk. Kitchener is really good but they aren’t unbeatable to think it’s that crazy to play him. Now, why not pull him? Idk, probably because they made the decision to actually rest BG - not put him in for 20-30 mins

Reactions: dirty12

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The white Zam blew an engine. Hopefully they get it fixed, but man on man, Zam problems, condenser problems...can we break some glass tonight!?!?! Hahaha

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Good gritty win...lots of sloppy play. Not sure if it was the ice or what, but huge W tonight and BG definitely made it possible with an insane 2nd period

Reactions: OttersHockey1968

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
We definitely were out worked and quite honestly didn’t deserve to win because of the sloppy play. A win is a win. We definitely needed that going into this weekend.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hmm almost as if they felt their next 2 home games were winnable with strong goalie play and a rested BG. Maybe you don’t get the same performance from BG in this one as you do if he played in KIT the other night

Regardless, good bounce back win imo. Just take the points and move along

Reactions: dirty12

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Mississauga will be heading into town and they are not nearly as hot as they were when we ran into them a month ago. Hopefully we don't have a mental block against them as we've gone 0-3 against them and outscored 18-6.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
What else is out there for Otters related discussions ,info etc .. this site is lifeless

There is a Facebook group, Erie Otters Uncensored, but it is about as active as it is here.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Above .500 for the month of November with a gauntlet of a schedule. I'd say that's a positive for the team overall.

Reactions: 7D442

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Above .500 for the month of November with a gauntlet of a schedule. I'd say that's a positive for the team overall.
We’ll take it. That’s what was expected against some good teams.

They battled back today and didn’t sit back. Kitchener figured out Gaudreau flops when the are shooting at him and tip the puck in on the opposite door step. That’s how they scored tonight. Kitchener is a fast team. We had our chances and 40 shots. Nothing to hang our hats on.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
We’ll take it. That’s what was expected against some good teams.

They battled back today and didn’t sit back. Kitchener figured out Gaudreau flops when the are shooting at him and tip the puck in on the opposite door step. That’s how they scored tonight. Kitchener is a fast team. We had our chances and 40 shots. Nothing to hang our hats on.
Yeah that was all Erie in the 3rd. Frustrated Kitchener D. Thought for sure Erie would have ended it in OT.

Ok, now go back to beating London.

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
I, for one, am glad Gaudreau got the start last night. Almost pulled out the W against the best team in the O.

Looking ahead, things could get interesting once WJC Camps open in mid-December.

Carey Terrance should be invited to Team USA's Camp, which opens Dec. 14.

Martin Misiak and Ondrej Molnar (assuming the criminal charge against him from last year in Slovakia gets resolved) should both be locks for Slovakia.

A lot of pundits have said Spencer Sova is a dark horse for Team Canada's roster, and while I'd be surprised if he makes it, he's probably deserving of an invite.

Otters have North Bay in town Dec. 15, and Ottawa on Dec. 16, so they may be down to 10 forwards and 6 D for those games. Wouldn't be crazy to play those games with only 10 forwards, but I wonder if we'll see a prospect signed to join the team while we're shorthanded...

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Just over 1/3 into the season, sitting in 8th place right now, comfortably I might add...

How does everyone see the team, good, bad, indifferent? Who are you most impressed by and the biggest duds...

I feel like we got off to a slow start, but are starting to improve to where we should be. I'm unsure if we make moves again this season but I wouldn't be surprised to possibly see Johnston or Bressette moved IF the return is there as this years goal was to just make the playoffs. Obviously a playoff would be 6 - 8 seed and I'm not sure we can climb that much higher.

Biggest surprise for an individual for me thus far has been Bruce McDonald and it's not even close. His play has elevated so much in the first 1/3 of this season compared to where he was last year.

I have 2 players I expected much more out of and they just haven't turned it up...Molnar and Daviault. I feel like, for whatever reason, their growth just hasn't been consistent. They are still insanely talented players but my expectations of them just haven't been met.

My favorite part about the games right now is Malcom Spence/Carey Terrance Duo. I expected goals from Carey and I expected tons of growth from Spence, but the 1/2 punch they have provided so far this season is pretty remarkable.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Any fans from Erie coming to OS for the weekend ?

I know parents will be here.
Light snow, roads are clear.

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
Just over 1/3 into the season, sitting in 8th place right now, comfortably I might add...

How does everyone see the team, good, bad, indifferent? Who are you most impressed by and the biggest duds...

I feel like we got off to a slow start, but are starting to improve to where we should be. I'm unsure if we make moves again this season but I wouldn't be surprised to possibly see Johnston or Bressette moved IF the return is there as this years goal was to just make the playoffs. Obviously a playoff would be 6 - 8 seed and I'm not sure we can climb that much higher.

Biggest surprise for an individual for me thus far has been Bruce McDonald and it's not even close. His play has elevated so much in the first 1/3 of this season compared to where he was last year.

I have 2 players I expected much more out of and they just haven't turned it up...Molnar and Daviault. I feel like, for whatever reason, their growth just hasn't been consistent. They are still insanely talented players but my expectations of them just haven't been met.

My favorite part about the games right now is Malcom Spence/Carey Terrance Duo. I expected goals from Carey and I expected tons of growth from Spence, but the 1/2 punch they have provided so far this season is pretty remarkable.
Mata, nice summary. I agree with pretty much everything that you have written.

A couple comments/thoughts:

1. The team is getting better. The trade for Gaudreau is a big factor, but it is not the only one. This alone makes them much more interesting to watch than what we have seen for the past few years.

2. There is no quit in this team. There have been any number of times that they could have packed it in or hung their heads low after a bad loss. But that has not happened. The last game against Kitchener, and the way they fought back, makes you want to root for this team.

3. I agree that McDonald has been a very pleasant surprise. Also, as you also point out, watching Terrance and Spence develop has been very interesting. My biggest disappointment would be Bressette. I thought he would be doing much better in his OA year.

4. I am not certain about Schaefer. I thought he would be more dominant, for lack of a better term. Maybe I was expecting too much after having had Drysdale here. He obviously is very talented and is very young, so maybe patience is in order here.

5. The goaltending situation is a problem. Gaudreau has been better than I expected, but not being able to play your back up practically at all really is a sad commentary on how this critical part of the roster has been mismanaged. How much of a load can Gaudreau be expected to carry? What happens if he wears down, or is injured? Given how well I think the team is now progressing, it would be a tragedy if it all went south because the goaltending situation falls apart due to overwork or injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad