Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The bigger question is, will it be healthy enough to play tomorrow? Mercyhurst ran into a similar issue this year as well. You really can't flood the ice as much as needed...it will take lots of delicate maintenance over the next 16 hours if they are to repair the ice. If they can't fix the compressors I'd imagine the game gets canceled. The end of that game the ice was showing signs of melting in certain areas and extra soft.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
As far as the game...first period was pretty even, second we were getting smoked. We didn't really start to play again until the final minutes of the 3rd.

Bruce McDonald is coming into his own this season and it's awesome!

Refs were pretty sub par. They missed a stick to the face to end the 1st period and then made a horrid icing call as well as a couple others.

Glad to take 2 points tonight and hopefully the emotion, adrenaline, and such carry into tomorrow to get 2 more.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
All tournament games were canceled today at EIA so they still have ice problems. Hopefully they can keep it in good shape for this evening. All other rinks in Erie are booked solid this weekend.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Highly skilled team that doesn't respond when punched in the face.

Sad result tonight

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Game plan poorly executed. They got too comfortable in OT to let the clock tick down. No pressure on the skaters. Should’ve came away with 2 points.

Reactions: Mata

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Highly skilled team that doesn't respond when punched in the face.

Sad result tonight
I wouldn’t call that a “Punch in the face”. Perhaps a very light, gloved face-wash. That squad is a ton better with a ton more future potential than the last few Erie squads. I think both squads should do a light sell-off at the deadline and try riding their goalies into round 2 of the playoffs this year. Erie with the SO win in Flint and Flint with an OT win in Erie so far this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZinErie and Mata

You Otter Be There

Oct 8, 2020
Pottstown, PA

I know it’s not related to this season

Reactions: ZinErie

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
Not like it's a surprise, but outside of Christian Kyrou and obvious 1st round-caliber talents like Jamie Drysdale, Spencer Sova and (hopefully) Matthew Schaefer, DB hasn't had much success at all drafting and overseeing the development of defensemen. I am hoping that trend changes with Keagan Knight, our 7th round pick from this past year's draft.

Somewhat overlooked on a stacked Jr. Canadiens squad last season, he's off to one helluva start with a crappy Pelham team in the GOJHL (Jr. B) this year. Through 12 games, he's got two goals, eight assists and 10 points. By comparison, Nicholas Holomego had 10 points in the same league last year, but in 29 games. Knight is 6'1, 175 lbs and can skate. Hope he keeps it up and DB can somehow convince him to come to Erie.

Keagan Knight at eliteprospects.com

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
Congratulations to Kris Knoblauch on his first win last night as the new Head Coach of the Edmonton Oilers. Three former Otters on the ice in Edmonton last night as well, McDavid, Foegele and Pelech.

I remember a conversation I had with Sherry Bassin when Knoblauch was still coaching the Otters. He said, very confidently, that Knoblauch would someday be a head coach in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see how Edmonton does the rest of the way.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023

Erie Otters – up two spots to #12 this week
It’s been a good little run for the Otters of late as they treated their fans to a 4-3 overtime win over the Sudbury Wolves on Friday, with captain Spencer Sova blasting home the game-winner. Erie picked up a point in Saturday’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Flint Firebirds. The Otters have points in five straight, improving to 8-7-3-0. Veteran netminder Ben Gaudreau is 8-4-1-0 since being acquired from the Sarnia Sting last month.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
His D+1 year was the covid canceled season (20/21). Split time between NHL and AHL. Stuck the following season.
As much as DB and the drafting sucks, that 2020-21 team could have been promising with Drysdale, Yetman, Golod, and Murphy. I mean they probably would have still sucked but at least they could have traded Drysdale for 5-6 picks and a young player :(

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Bounces didn’t go our way tonight. They were far more physical and kept close distance to their man. All good habits to build with Stan Butler hockey. They looked improved from last week despite the score.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Reactions: Mata

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
It was hard to tell on TV but Erie looked faster than Saginaw last night... Was that how it looked in the building? I felt like Erie deserved the victory last night but Oke stole one... Really surprised that he wasn't a 3 stars even though the announcer said he was clearly the #1 star. Every time I think "man, Misa isn't doing much tonight" he always seems to show up so glad I thought that. Erie is building a solid team, I don't want to see you in the playoffs!

Reactions: OttersHockey1968

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
This will be their biggest game to date...

Have to show up and get 2 this evening.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
200ft Stan Butler hockey. Played in three zones, controlled the zone, and stayed focus on the game plan. We stayed disciplined and it worked well in our favor.

This was a solid weekend despite the loss yesterday. We are finally putting pressure on the other team and making them make mistakes. It’s about time we finally aren’t scared to toss a man around and finish checks. PK and PP have been getting better looks.

We’re in the right direction.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Ty Henry played pretty amazing tonight. Got way more time than his counterpart, Holomego but he NEEDS to be stronger in his frame. He got thrown around like a rag doll tonight at times.

Sauder played huge IMO in the back.

Other than taking off the 2nd period, these boys showed they could play. They didn't fall for the cheap shots London was throwing at them and played their game, fast and skilled and earned them the W.

Ben played amazing in net and the crowd was insanely loud for half the night and a great refresher!

Good, gritty, hard earned W!!!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
As much as DB and the drafting sucks, that 2020-21 team could have been promising with Drysdale, Yetman, Golod, and Murphy. I mean they probably would have still sucked but at least they could have traded Drysdale for 5-6 picks and a young player :(
Who are you kidding...

They would have kept Drysdale and tripled down on winning, that's the DB way...hahaha!!!

I mean, look what he did with Kyrou...finally we get a younger D and tons of picks, nope, let's waste them on almost immediately!

• Haha
Reactions: NOA

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Ty Henry played pretty amazing tonight. Got way more time than his counterpart, Holomego but he NEEDS to be stronger in his frame. He got thrown around like a rag doll tonight at times.

Sauder played huge IMO in the back.

Other than taking off the 2nd period, these boys showed they could play. They didn't fall for the cheap shots London was throwing at them and played their game, fast and skilled and earned them the W.

Ben played amazing in net and the crowd was insanely loud for half the night and a great refresher!

Good, gritty, hard earned W!!!
It was honestly a mistake to not have Ty Henry on this team last year. He would’ve benefitted from the presence of Morton and Kulakov. He should’ve been the odd man out instead of Alboim.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Something to look at from the Kyrou deal:

2 (ER 2nd '24 - Reacquired, OSH 2nd '25) picks were used to acquire Pano Fimis 1/1/23

1 (SAR 4th '23) pick used to draft Oliver Turner (16 yo 6'4 D) 4/21/23 May or may not play here.

1 (ER 3rd '26 - Reacquired) pick was used to acquire Ben Gaudreau 10/10/23

Jury still out on NIA 5th '26. :D

Is Daviault injured or a victim of numbers? I know Stan likes the two "Trees" (Henry and Holomego)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad