Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
How are we going to have a line of Terrance, Smith, and Royston and think we are going to score?

I spoke with someone close to Jim Waters. He said Waters is furious and wouldn’t be surprised if a closed door meeting was happening after tonight’s game. There’s no reason for us to go 2/6 against two teams rebuilding and the top team in Canada.

I think the team needs to do what NOA said...

Top 6 players get top 6 minutes. Don't try to dilute lines to make 3 almost equal lines and one developmental line. These kids definitely deserve better than what they are getting these past...7 years.

Also, BG seems to be pretty pedestrian and needs a break. They can't keep riding him.

Reactions: NOA and OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I think the team needs to do what NOA said...

Top 6 players get top 6 minutes. Don't try to dilute lines to make 3 almost equal lines and one developmental line. These kids definitely deserve better than what they are getting these past...7 years.

Also, BG seems to be pretty pedestrian and needs a break. They can't keep riding him.
I think Gibbons should’ve started vs Sarnia. I understand making a statement by starting against your former team, but they knew exactly where to shoot on BG. If Gibbons flopped, BG would make more of a statement to bail them out.

Any time we’ve had our goalie play extensively, they’ve always crashed from fatigue. See LaLonde, Campbell, Murphy as of recent. You can’t expect Gibbons to get better if he’s always opening the door each night.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There’s just something off with this team and I don’t really understand why. I wasn’t a fan of the SB hire but I thought he would at least demand consistency and competitiveness.

@Mata, “diluting” the lines is the exact way to put it, I just couldn’t find the word to describe it before but that’s what I’ve meant. Despite 2 times being shutout, in 10 games, Terrance has 12pts, Misiak and Spence have 9pts, Molnar and Fimis have 8pts. This production is despite having a player on each of their lines that doesn’t really deserve to be there. I just don’t think they are maximizing their offense when it’s the strength of their team. 3 solid lines is NOT better than 2 good lines.

I know they have other issues but I just think at this point, you are more likely to win 5-4 games than 3-2 games. The problem is that’s a clash with how SB wants to play so I don’t see it changing

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Does anyone have any insider on the status of Sova? Second day scratched which is unusual for him.

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
Gibbons is just lost. Let in a shot that looked like it was going 40 mph TOPS. Also let in another muffin earlier. They need a new backup because Gibbons has been a bust so far.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Gibbons is just lost. Let in a shot that looked like it was going 40 mph TOPS. Also let in another muffin earlier. They need a new backup because Gibbons has been a bust so far.
I actually felt the complete opposite. Kitchener is the hot team in the league. Two goals were on the PP, a five hole, and a one timer. Yes, your goalie should be able to bail the team out, but staying out of the box is the first step. Gibbons is 16. He’s not expected to be lights out. Compared to his first start, he’s improved greatly. We don’t have many goalies in our system and none certainly with OHL experience.

Gibbons isn’t going to learn if you don’t play him. I’m going to give him this year and next year at the deadline if things don’t get better, then it’ll be time to open that conversation. He’s barely old enough to drive a car. This game is what he needed for his confidence and he’s a true team player.

Coming into the third, we only had 13 shots. That’s not going to win many hockey games.

This is a great comeback for their morale. Down 3, and now in overtime. This is how to do it.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Erie has some skilled players. Exciting to watch for sure. That young goalie is going to be noticed in this league. Otters gave the Kitchener fans an exciting third period and OT. They could have won this game.

Reactions: 7D442 and Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I just got back from my daughter's game, jumped on the boards to see if there was anything happening and nearly had a heart attack...

Because yes...yes this could happen lol
He’ll probably add a Snickers bar and bag of candy corn with the conditional pick.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
10 minute delay to start the 2nd because the one zam driver soaked the ice. The officials were pushing water off with squeegees.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Nothing like 4 Pete’s ganging up on Fimis at the end.

Not to mention, Alfano was cross checked from behind after the whistle and nothing was called from it. Alfano got a 10 min misconduct because he got penalized for something that should’ve been an Erie PP.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Nothing like 4 Pete’s ganging up on Fimis at the end.

Not to mention, Alfano was cross checked from behind after the whistle and nothing was called from it. Alfano got a 10 min misconduct because he got penalized for something that should’ve been an Erie PP.

I don't think that single play led them to a 2-1 loss...while they were bad the team is just off by the smallest of margins.

Our PK, which has been stellar is not so great this season and was the difference in the game. 2/4 on the PK and I'm sorry, 41 shots and only 1 finds the back of the net? The team has all the talent to be good but for whatever reason just doesn't have "it".

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I don't think that single play led them to a 2-1 loss...while they were bad the team is just off by the smallest of margins.

Our PK, which has been stellar is not so great this season and was the difference in the game. 2/4 on the PK and I'm sorry, 41 shots and only 1 finds the back of the net? The team has all the talent to be good but for whatever reason just doesn't have "it".
I wasn’t trying to say that was why we lost. We lost because we were sleeping up until when we scored in the third. We let Peterbourough skate all over up and none of our guys could check. Butler wanted us to size up, but we don’t use our size.

They aren’t going for the rebounds and following up on shots. Many pucks inches from the back of the net and no one there to take advantage.

The PK was the difference many times this season and especially this weekend. 4 PP goals in 2 games. It has to get better.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I wasn’t trying to say that was why we lost. We lost because we were sleeping up until when we scored in the third. We let Peterbourough skate all over up and none of our guys could check. Butler wanted us to size up, but we don’t use our size.

They aren’t going for the rebounds and following up on shots. Many pucks inches from the back of the net and no one there to take advantage.

The PK was the difference many times this season and especially this weekend. 4 PP goals in 2 games. It has to get better.

Heard that most of the kids who were let go or moved were because they were problems in the locker room according to DB.

I sense he's putting the blame everywhere as a last ditch effort. I realize he doesn't impact the team as much right now as coaching does, but another .500 weekend (3/6) on points just isn't gonna get the job done.

They should get rid of him now and let the new GM have a legit shot for the off season. We are an average team playing below average hockey and I feel terrible for the kids and the fans.

Reactions: OttersFan and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Heard that most of the kids who were let go or moved were because they were problems in the locker room according to DB.

I sense he's putting the blame everywhere as a last ditch effort. I realize he doesn't impact the team as much right now as coaching does, but another .500 weekend (3/6) on points just isn't gonna get the job done.

They should get rid of him now and let the new GM have a legit shot for the off season. We are an average team playing below average hockey and I feel terrible for the kids and the fans.
Imo problems in the locker room occur when you don’t win… like winning teams usually don’t have those types of issues. Point is that DB doesn’t build a good team, doesn’t hire a good staff and the players don’t develop, aren’t coached well and as such, they don’t win - that’s going to create frustration and tension in any locker room let alone with 16-20 year olds.

DB has to go. This is just not ever going to get better until they go in a new direction

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Imo problems in the locker room occur when you don’t win… like winning teams usually don’t have those types of issues. Point is that DB doesn’t build a good team, doesn’t hire a good staff and the players don’t develop, aren’t coached well and as such, they don’t win - that’s going to create frustration and tension in any locker room let alone with 16-20 year olds.

DB has to go. This is just not ever going to get better until they go in a new direction
DB also didn’t challenge the potential off sides last night in OT. He can’t make any good calls. I can’t believe that he selected players for the U17 World Hockey Challenge, but can’t put a skilled team together in 6 years.

I thought after last weekend he would’ve been let go and yet they still haven’t dismissed him. It’s going to get ugly quick.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
DB also didn’t challenge the potential off sides last night in OT. He can’t make any good calls. I can’t believe that he selected players for the U17 World Hockey Challenge, but can’t put a skilled team together in 6 years.

I thought after last weekend he would’ve been let go and yet they still haven’t dismissed him. It’s going to get ugly quick.
Does a GM have the authority to challenge plays? Not sure I would put that on him but at the same time, I also appreciate blaming him for everything hahaha

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Does a GM have the authority to challenge plays? Not sure I would put that on him but at the same time, I also appreciate blaming him for everything hahaha
Yes. He’s in the suite box and Wes Wolfe has an ear piece in his ear to get the scoop. They can see the plays better from the suites and can radio down to the bench if they want to challenge the call. Wes pulls the iPad out to see what DB saw.

I feel bad for Wes having to take one for the team having Brown in his ear.

Attachments

• IMG_9772.jpeg
    IMG_9772.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Mata and NOA

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
DB needs fired so badly and I’ll continue to say it until it happens. Amongst terrible trading, here’s one of his worst draft decisions he’s ever made.
IMG_2189.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad