Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Quik question, what type of player is Malcolm Spence. Should be a high NHL pick next season?

Powerful forward, fast, creative, very high upside offensively. Probably has to work a bit on his defense but as it stands, maybe a mid round pick with a lot of room for growth.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Depends on how he does this season. Probably mid to late first round is best case all the way down to 3rd if the season is not a major improvement given his ceiling and scouts opinions of him his OHL draft year.
Well, he’s not eligible until 2025 NHL draft. So, he has time to improve his draft stock beyond this year. Right now, I would project 2nd round. I just don’t think with this coaching staff and these current lines that he will put up the numbers consistently and with next year, who knows. But he definitely could sneak into the 1st round. He’s got 20 months to develop given his late birthday

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Well, he’s not eligible until 2025 NHL draft. So, he has time to improve his draft stock beyond this year. Right now, I would project 2nd round. I just don’t think with this coaching staff and these current lines that he will put up the numbers consistently and with next year, who knows. But he definitely could sneak into the 1st round. He’s got 20 months to develop given his late birthday
I agree. Lots of time left and he could drop further if he doesn't progress which is why i have a middle/ late first to 3rd, we just don't know and we are only 7 games into his second season.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
you Yanks are nuts, the young lad has played 8 games in the OHL, on lets be honest a not great team, relax...... Not gunna lie having Simpson freaking rules.....
Yes Michael Simpson who was developed by the Peterborough Petes and won an OHL Championship with them. He is the best goaltender in the league.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Honestly not sure if we could have any more bad bounces that period.

2 awful bounces resulted in goals against us.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Need to pick up the W today and 4/6 on the weekend is a positive thing.

Not sure what was going on last night, but an unusual amount of fans on passes, lots of pucks passed into skates or out of reach...perhaps a hangover from the London game?

Either way, hopefully they put it behind them and focus today to get another win.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I can appreciate Alfano’s honesty in his post game interview. They just didn’t come to play. They need to finish their checks and get their rebounds.

Today has to be better. It was good for Gibbons to play the final frame. Hopefully it builds his confidence. He’ll never learn if he’s always on the bench.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Georgy Toroptsev will make his 1st regular season appearance today. Last played 9/22/23 (PRE). Was he hurt all this time?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Georgy Toroptsev will make his 1st regular season appearance today. Last played 9/22/23 (PRE). Was he hurt all this time?

He's a rookie...don't know if he was hurt or if it was just Stan keeping him off in favor of Roysten and Hammond.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
He's a rookie...don't know if he was hurt or if it was just Stan keeping him off in favor of Roysten and Hammond.
Hard to get ice time as a rookie. He needs a big night to justify starting him over Hammond.

Stan’s shaking up the lines again. It’s hard to say if he’s trying to find a spark or if he’s testing the waters.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hard to get ice time as a rookie. He needs a big night to justify starting him over Hammond.

Stan’s shaking up the lines again. It’s hard to say if he’s trying to find a spark or if he’s testing the waters.

Speaking of...I would like to see more of Henry and Holomego. I know I've been overly critical of Holomego, but the two deserve some ice instead of every other game off. I still believe Henry has more upside and he played a hell of a game last night, but it has to be frustrating going every other.

Will keep an eye on Toroptsev to see how he plays today. Roysten finally seemed to settle in last night in spite of a bad team game and Hammond hasn't been playing awful either.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Speaking of...I would like to see more of Henry and Holomego. I know I've been overly critical of Holomego, but the two deserve some ice instead of every other game off. I still believe Henry has more upside and he played a hell of a game last night, but it has to be frustrating going every other.

Will keep an eye on Toroptsev to see how he plays today. Roysten finally seemed to settle in last night in spite of a bad team game and Hammond hasn't been playing awful either.
I’d take Henry over Holomego. What I would do is trade Sauder. As a vet, I expect more from him and he's hit a plateau. That would make room for Henry and Holomego.

Roysten had a helluva fight last night. At 15 years old, another year and he’ll be dangerous. Maybe he’ll be a Kurtis Henry/MacDermid type scraper.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

Hammond 'leads' the team at minus 8 playing on the 4th line.

mattommy98

Apr 3, 2023
Serious question , eries announcers are great to listen to great voices and knowledgeable , but watching the game on THR CHL app is almost unbearable, are they in the middle of the crowd ? All games all you hear are screaming kids

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Dave Brown needs fired this week
If this doesn’t happen, I’d be very surprised. I said a few weeks back that he had < 2 weeks left in his current position.

It’s embarrassing. We were going to travel to Michigan and Sarnia for a 3 in 4 day trip, but not with this lack of effort in a 3-in-3 weekend. I’m not willing to blow $500+ if the team cannot get it together. We have the talent which is the frustrating part.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
If this doesn’t happen, I’d be very surprised. I said a few weeks back that he had < 2 weeks left in his current position.

It’s embarrassing. We were going to travel to Michigan and Sarnia for a 3 in 4 day trip, but not with this lack of effort in a 3-in-3 weekend. I’m not willing to blow $500+ if the team cannot get it together. We have the talent which is the frustrating part.

The crazy part is:

I don't know how many times lines were tweaked this game. Is it a lack of chemistry on the team? Is Stan misreading the chemistry with his coaching staff? The boys are off by the smallest of margins but they keep ending up on the short end of the stick. Something has to change because this is eerily reminiscent of last season.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
The crazy part is:

I don't know how many times lines were tweaked this game. Is it a lack of chemistry on the team? Is Stan misreading the chemistry with his coaching staff? The boys are off by the smallest of margins but they keep ending up on the short end of the stick. Something has to change because this is eerily reminiscent of last season.
How are we going to have a line of Terrance, Smith, and Royston and think we are going to score?

I spoke with someone close to Jim Waters. He said Waters is furious and wouldn’t be surprised if a closed door meeting was happening after tonight’s game. There’s no reason for us to go 2/6 against two teams rebuilding and the top team in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad