Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Really? Maybe I had the wrong guy pinned. I know his son is always at the rink and walks up to the booth with Dave every home game.

Regardless the relation, my comment still stands. Nothing good usually comes when you hire your family members.
his son is involved with the team but devin is his broher. i think daves son works in the front office?

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
the young high end talent probably sick of losing to soft goals. I like the move in the context of showing your team youre not f ing around, and morale boost if they view some are underachieving

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Now that the LaLonde trade has been analyzed...

Who's next, or do you guys think we stand firm until the trade deadline?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

I have a feeling that Toroposev and Royston will be sent down for development and used as needed.

I think Sauder needs a new change in scenery. If we could upgrade on the back end, that would be the move I would make.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Let’s be real, with DB ya just never know. They lose 1 more game and he might add 2 more players. Most likely they wait until the deadline. I guess I could see a scenario where they add defense but I think that would swapping out youth for experience and just like I’ve done with most of DB’s trades, I’m sure I would hate on him for the move :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Mata and OttersFan

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't think you could have scripted a worse start. 0-3-1, getting blown out several times, terrible goaltending. Now a desperation trade that is an obvious overpay. They need a big weekend.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Let’s be real, with DB ya just never know. They lose 1 more game and he might add 2 more players. Most likely they wait until the deadline. I guess I could see a scenario where they add defense but I think that would swapping out youth for experience and just like I’ve done with most of DB’s trades, I’m sure I would hate on him for the move :laugh:

Where would you go with defense?

Sova has to be a lock as does Schaefer. Daviault is a 3rd puck moving defender and maybe someone they could try to move. Then you have Johnston, Albloim, Sauder, Henry, and Holomego who all appear to be your stay at home guys.

Even if you move on from say Sauder or Albloim, that's still leaving Henry/Holomego and <new defender> fighting for the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Where would you go with defense?

Sova has to be a lock as does Schaefer. Daviault is a 3rd puck moving defender and maybe someone they could try to move. Then you have Johnston, Albloim, Sauder, Henry, and Holomego who all appear to be your stay at home guys.

Even if you move on from say Sauder or Albloim, that's still leaving Henry/Holomego and <new defender> fighting for the 2nd or 3rd pairing.
I said a while back I'd move 2 of the 18yo dmen for an upgrade.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I said a while back I'd move 2 of the 18yo dmen for an upgrade.
Yea I could see something like this. I don’t want them to do anything or invest any more for this team until it’s deadline season, and we can evaluate there. But I suspect if they made a move, it would be for the defense, to get more experience or upgrade, but that’s just a feeling

Reactions: Mata and ZinErie

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Though he/we gave up 2 goals in the 3rd...

I will take a .938 save percentage in his first game. I think it's becoming increasingly obvious too, Butler is putting Schaefer ahead of Daviault already.

Reactions: Ferda11

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Though he/we gave up 2 goals in the 3rd...

I will take a .938 save percentage in his first game. I think it's becoming increasingly obvious too, Butler is putting Schaefer ahead of Daviault already.
Schaefer is a package deal. If he’s not QB, Sova is. I think the defense needs a lot of work. It was easy to see they were exhausted.

I like that they are back to blocking shots. That helped the backend.

Truthfully once Niagara score their first goal, I thought we would flop over. It’s good to see they persevered and continued to keep fighting for the W.

Gaudreau looked good, but I will save judgement once I see him in another game or two. He made impressive saves that we haven’t witnessed a goalie make it quite some time which says a lot.

Reactions: Mata and Ferda11

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I'm fine with the overpay on Gaudreau. If it gets them into the playoffs as a 7 seed and they win a home game I'll be happy. The offense will score some goals this year, it's only fair to give them semi-stable goaltending. Feels like Jim Waters is detached entirely and his sole directive is "don't lose too much money and don't go over budget. Neglecting the fact that they could break even or even make a few bucks if they were somewhat competitive. Just give me a team that makes playoffs more often than not and wins a round every 4 or 5 years. I don't expect another streak of 4 50 win seasons. I just want decent, exciting hockey.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'm fine with the overpay on Gaudreau. If it gets them into the playoffs as a 7 seed and they win a home game I'll be happy. The offense will score some goals this year, it's only fair to give them semi-stable goaltending. Feels like Jim Waters is detached entirely and his sole directive is "don't lose too much money and don't go over budget. Neglecting the fact that they could break even or even make a few bucks if they were somewhat competitive. Just give me a team that makes playoffs more often than not and wins a round every 4 or 5 years. I don't expect another streak of 4 50 win seasons. I just want decent, exciting hockey.
The offense will score some goals? Right now they are near the bottom of the league with 2.2gpg and they have been shutout in nearly half their games. Add in the fact that they have a defensive coaching staff who is content on spreading out to 3 lines, thus limiting their ceiling (McDonald/Smith have combined for 0 pts in the top 6 this year…) and they haven’t developed their offensive talent in multiple years now…

The offense right now is underwhelming. Considering they have 2 2nd round NHL picks in Misiak, Terrance and Spence was supposed to be a great prospect entering his second year, not to mention Molnar who had some promise as a prospect prior to arriving in Erie last year and Bressette who was their best forward at a PPG last year prior to an injury. Yes, all signs point to them being better on offense but this was what I tried to tell everyone when they hired an older, way past his prime, defensive coaching.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
We aren't even at 10% games completed so the sample size is small. SB was brought in to instill discipline to the team and push a work ethic, which it appears he has had a positive impact in that regard. The results will take time, which we keep saying, but it's unfortunately true.

I agree we have some picks not living up to their hype so far, but that happens on all teams. Why it happens more to us compared to others? Poor scouting, development, other?

As far as scoring...dating back to the Hartsburg Era we often out work and out shoot teams only to come up short more than we are ahead, thus the losing records. One has to ask themselves, why? When we put up 30 - 40 shots a game and give up 25 and lose by 1 - 3 goals, something is not working on BOTH sides of the puck.

I want to get it all sorted out at once, but one thing at a time...

We got bigger, we are playing more disciplined than last season, and we have some actual talent...seems like now it's a matter of clicking.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We aren't even at 10% games completed so the sample size is small. SB was brought in to instill discipline to the team and push a work ethic, which it appears he has had a positive impact in that regard. The results will take time, which we keep saying, but it's unfortunately true.

I agree we have some picks not living up to their hype so far, but that happens on all teams. Why it happens more to us compared to others? Poor scouting, development, other?

As far as scoring...dating back to the Hartsburg Era we often out work and out shoot teams only to come up short more than we are ahead, thus the losing records. One has to ask themselves, why? When we put up 30 - 40 shots a game and give up 25 and lose by 1 - 3 goals, something is not working on BOTH sides of the puck.

I want to get it all sorted out at once, but one thing at a time...

We got bigger, we are playing more disciplined than last season, and we have some actual talent...seems like now it's a matter of clicking.
Scoring often comes down to high end talent and special teams. Without high talent, the PP isn’t likely going to be successful. Yeah, they get a lot of shots but how many of them are quality chances?

The offense will need to improve though. The sample size is small but it’s very much the same vibe as years past. Imo the current lines aren’t maximizing their talent and in turn, limiting their grade A chances, which turn to goals

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Scoring often comes down to high end talent and special teams. Without high talent, the PP isn’t likely going to be successful. Yeah, they get a lot of shots but how many of them are quality chances?

The offense will need to improve though. The sample size is small but it’s very much the same vibe as years past. Imo the current lines aren’t maximizing their talent and in turn, limiting their grade A chances, which turn to goals

I agree in that the lines should be top 6 are determined by skill and chemistry. 3 should still be pretty solid and the 4th is a developmental line from an age perspective.

Smith should probably still be on the 3rd line.

In no particular order I have:

Terrance, Spence, Molnar, Misiak, Fimis, Bressette, and Alfano as the top forwards.

Depending on where the chemistry works best, any combo of those 7 forwards should be our first 2 lines every night when healthy.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Artichuk and Alboim are no longer listed on the roster. Anyone know why?

My guess is they got released if they aren't there anymore? That seems to be the M.O. when players disappear from the roster in the App.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Hard day in our household. We’re not sure why Artichuk in particular was let go. We’ve supported and traveled to watch him play. Hopefully he gets picked up by another team.

Could not agree more. That kid overcame so much adversity and was an amazing burst of energy every time he got on the ice!

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Could not agree more. That kid overcame so much adversity and was an amazing burst of energy every time he got on the ice!
We usually find one specific player to follow for their OHL career on the team. His story is inspiring and the hard work his mom did to make sure he got ice time was incredible. He was special. He played every shift with his heart out there.

I’m not saying this because he was our favorite, but I really think there’s some guys on the roster that shouldn’t be.

He’s a good addition to any team whether it’s the OHL or college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad