Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Something to look at from the Kyrou deal:

2 (ER 2nd '24 - Reacquired, OSH 2nd '25) picks were used to acquire Pano Fimis 1/1/23

1 (SAR 4th '23) pick used to draft Oliver Turner (16 yo 6'4 D) 4/21/23 May or may not play here.

1 (ER 3rd '26 - Reacquired) pick was used to acquire Ben Gaudreau 10/10/23

Jury still out on NIA 5th '26. :D

Is Daviault injured or a victim of numbers? I know Stan likes the two "Trees" (Henry and Holomego)

I could see both scenarios for Daviault given that Sova is better and Schaefer is the future of puck moving defenders.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023

Erie Otters – down one spot to #13 this week

The Otters split the weekend, falling 3-2 to Saginaw on Friday before responding with a big 4-2 win over the London Knights on Saturday. The Otters are playing good hockey of late and could be in for a climb on the list if they can perform well against higher-ranked teams in Kitchener, Sault Ste. Marie and Mississauga this week.

In for a battle this week.... Starts tomorrow night in Kitchener.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
The OHL posted the top 5 faceoff %. Fimis at 66% and two Petes at 60% were the top 3 in the league.

Reactions: dirty12

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Kitchener are putting on a clinic in this first period against us 😳

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Kitchener are putting on a clinic in this first period against us 😳
It would help if our defense showed up. I’d upgrade Holomego. I don’t see him being effective. Caught standing watching on two of the goals, and is -3 on the night with D partner Owain Johnson.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It would help if our defense showed up. I’d upgrade Holomego. I don’t see him being effective. Caught standing watching on two of the goals, and is -3 on the night with D partner Owain Johnson.
The fight for messier out of desperation you think?

The kid is fighting for 4th line minutes and unsure if that's a good look for this team.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

The kid is fighting for 4th line minutes and unsure if that's a good look for this team.
I actually commented to my buddy that every time he’s on the ice he’s always in a scrum. It wasn’t much of a fight. Hammond is a better skater and Royston is going to be legit in a year or so. Messier doesn’t really add a whole lot. Not worth a “fight” in the first. The game wasn’t out of reach.

Reactions: Mata

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
Is Gaudreau hurt? I'm trying to figure out why Gibbons got the start tonight. If Gaudreau isn't hurt, this was a horrible, horrible decision by Stan. Yes, Gibbons needs games and minutes, but why give him the start against the best offensive team in the OHL on the road in their barn?! His confidence is already low. And to make matters worse, Stan NEVER pulls him and Kitchener puts up 10. Embarrassing.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020

Messier hit a Ranger w a high stick. Schmidt took exception and came in and tossed his gloves, Messier obliged.

Messier held onto Schmidt's sweater good and tight so neither could get loose to throw anything more than a couple of taps each.

Reactions: Mata

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
Is Gaudreau hurt? I'm trying to figure out why Gibbons got the start tonight. If Gaudreau isn't hurt, this was a horrible, horrible decision by Stan. Yes, Gibbons needs games and minutes, but why give him the start against the best offensive team in the OHL on the road in their barn?! His confidence is already low. And to make matters worse, Stan NEVER pulls him and Kitchener puts up 10. Embarrassing.
Gaudreau got hung out to dry by his D on at least 6 goals. I felt super bad for him.

Probably also why Ahokas gave the Ranger 4th line all the ice time in the 3rd and PP looks (the Bottineau/Pugliese line).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I mean to your point, they need to play him eventually and imo it actually makes more sense to save BG for the more winnable opponents so you take advantage. Gibbons is historically bad.. time to move on. Another failed goalie pick and poor development!

Reactions: gimbznyr

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It was honestly embarrassing to only take 19 SOG all game. No defense or offense from this team tonight. Our more consistent line went -4 and an OA defenseman -4. That can’t happen if we expect to win games. The game was within reach during after the 2nd. No one helped Gibbons. Clearly we are still hungover from the London win since no one came to play.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
When Bassin was at the helm, we would usually get a trade around Thanksgiving. Zack Torquato, Paul Cianfrini, Sean Jones come to mind.

:D

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It was honestly embarrassing to only take 19 SOG all game. No defense or offense from this team tonight. Our more consistent line went -4 and an OA defenseman -4. That can’t happen if we expect to win games. The game was within reach during after the 2nd. No one helped Gibbons. Clearly we are still hungover from the London win since no one came to play.

Against one of the top teams in the entire league and one of the hottest teams as of late?

You have to look all the way back to 10/15 against a red hot Mississauga team at the time to see their last blowout.

You just take this on the chin, learn from it, and move past it. Perform big for the home crowd tomorrow and Saturday.

We've spent an entire month in games, huge improvement from last year and hopefully not a major setback.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
So many blaming the loss on Gibbons. Yes, he’s easy to blame for the loss since he’s in net, but 3 SOG in the 3rd period? Where was the offense or defense last night? No one checked or blocked shots to help Gibbons in any way. 19 SOG for the entire game is unacceptable in this league. Crazy how they let a one goal game get out of reach. I wouldn’t want to rewatch this game any time soon.

They’ve been better lately and hopefully this is just an outlier to the recent success. A fluke if you will.

If it were me, the trades I’d make would be Messier, Sauder, and Holomego. Sauder has been better as of late, but we definitely need an upgrade on the back end. Holomego would be better if he used his size.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So many blaming the loss on Gibbons. Yes, he’s easy to blame for the loss since he’s in net, but 3 SOG in the 3rd period? Where was the offense or defense last night? No one checked or blocked shots to help Gibbons in any way. 19 SOG for the entire game is unacceptable in this league. Crazy how they let a one goal game get out of reach. I wouldn’t want to rewatch this game any time soon.

They’ve been better lately and hopefully this is just an outlier to the recent success. A fluke if you will.

If it were me, the trades I’d make would be Messier, Sauder, and Holomego. Sauder has been better as of late, but we definitely need an upgrade on the back end. Holomego would be better if he used his size.
I don’t blame a single player and to Mata’s point, it happens. That said, Gibbons numbers right now are like the worst I have seen for a goalie who has played over 5-6 games. They need to upgrade the backup spot because either they run BG into the ground or they play their backup the normal amount of games and lose 95% of them. Imo, the performance reeks of a team that has zero faith in their backup and knew once he was starting, especially against that team, that “we got no shot.” And to be honest, I don’t blame them. It’s hard to have belief when your backup has peewee or beer league numbers. A better goalie or someone on their A game maybe gives the offense some belief or life to spark something - at least make it more competitive. But that’s a team that knows Gibbons is not close to the answer. .745%… I mean, that’s horrible

Reactions: OttersFan and Moroz

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
My thing is - assuming Gaudreau was/is not hurt or sick - Stan set up Gibbons to fail. A head coach at this level has two tasks that sometimes run counter to each other: (1) help players develop/improve, and (2) win hockey games. In this instance, (1) should have outweighed (2). We weren't going to win this game even if Gaudreau was in goal, but he should have gotten the starting nod, OR at the very least, replaced Gibbons in the 3rd.

Gibbons has clearly struggled mightily this year, so it shocks the conscience that you turn to him against the best offensive team in the OHL on the road. And then, to leave him in after letting in six (6!) goals through two periods...downright cruel.

Gibbons, his parents and his agent have to be furious. Forget about the fact that Gibbons could very well be another blown early round tendy draft pick - players, parents, agents and NHL teams see and hear about this kind of crap and add Erie to the list of OHL/CHL teams they steer clear of. Everyone wants their kid/client/prospect to go to a team where the kid's going to develop and be put in positions to succeed.

Unless Gaudreau was/is hurt or sick, I believe last night was a serious black mark on this franchise. Unceremoniously throwing a 16 (soon to be 17) year-old kid - a kid you one day hope will be your starter - to the wolves just to save your current starter for a more winnable game?! Unacceptable.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My thing is - assuming Gaudreau was/is not hurt or sick - Stan set up Gibbons to fail. A head coach at this level has two tasks that sometimes run counter to each other: (1) help players develop/improve, and (2) win hockey games. In this instance, (1) should have outweighed (2). We weren't going to win this game even if Gaudreau was in goal, but he should have gotten the starting nod, OR at the very least, replaced Gibbons in the 3rd.

Gibbons has clearly struggled mightily this year, so it shocks the conscience that you turn to him against the best offensive team in the OHL on the road. And then, to leave him in after letting in six (6!) goals through two periods...downright cruel.

Gibbons, his parents and his agent have to be furious. Forget about the fact that Gibbons could very well be another blown early round tendy draft pick - players, parents, agents and NHL teams see and hear about this kind of crap and add Erie to the list of OHL/CHL teams they steer clear of. Everyone wants their kid/client/prospect to go to a team where the kid's going to develop and be put in positions to succeed.

Unless Gaudreau was/is hurt or sick, I believe last night was a serious black mark on this franchise. Unceremoniously throwing a 16 (soon to be 17) year-old kid - a kid you one day hope will be your starter - to the wolves just to save your current starter for a more winnable game?! Unacceptable.
Man, I hope you don’t lose too much sleep here.

1) Gibbons actually had his best performance this year against KIT. Which isn’t saying much, but he stopped 24/29 which is as good as he can be. They lost in OT but they were in that game.

2) BG has played 8 straight so it’s logical to think he’s a bit worn out right now. And it’s also possible that Gibbons has improved in practice over the last few days and that led to some confidence to play him. Add in the fact that maybe he had family/friends visiting given where he’s from. Maybe Gibbons was going to be pulled after 2 but he said “no, I want to finish this.” Maybe he’s not a basket case like you are about this

3) Erie plays SSM/MISS next up, both at home, and both are more winnable games. So, imo it’s logical to want to have your best goalie - by far - be able to play in those games where you have a higher chance to win.

4) if that singular performance ruins Gibbons development or ability to ever become something - then there are bigger issues and he was never gonna be anything. You want to be a player in any sport at this level - you’ll face adversity along the way. Disagree if you want but that’s the nature of the beast. Erie has had worst teams and thrown out younger goalies against top tier opponents - those goalies have seen similar and often better results.

Reactions: RB76 and ZinErie

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

I think you make very valid points, but at the same time these kids are competitors at some of the highest of levels. Stan is more old school. We as a society want to protect, protect, protect...it builds into participation trophy mentality.

I have to believe there was serious discussion, regardless of BG health status, as to starting Gibbons on the road in a hostile environment against arguably the best team in the OHL right now.

Flip the script for a second...Stan sits down with Gibbons...says this is where you want to go, this is the caliber of players you will face, it's going to he hell and it's yours if you want it. What kid in their right mind wouldn't want to face the challenge and adversity being thrown at them?

I get they are kids, but these kids are pretty damn special, all of them. They have dreams of being pushed to their limits and making the NHL they need to see what they are up against. I have to trust a guy who has been doing this for nearly 30 years that he gave Gibbons all of the reassuring prior to, during, and even after to help him continue to grow.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Thoughts on Bressette thus far and if maybe they try to move him?

Look...I love the kid!!! He's amazing but so far he hasn't lived up to the hype from last season where he was a PPG player. This year it seems off and being an OA, any chance to move him before the deadline for picks and/or possibly a project player? I assume at this point his trade value is low, but he's a hell of a player, just doesn't seem to fit with this current lineup/group to be able to perform where we expected him to.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Maybe, maybe Gibbons, parents, agents were upset over a lack of starts and deserving of more; so, Butler thought they might want to see the level Gibbins is currently at

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

Or maybe since we don’t have a goaltending coach so they had to play Gibbons to see if what he’s practicing translates to game play. He can’t improve if he doesn’t play. He will get a good stretch of playing time in December. It’s time to play so he’s ready for next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad