Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Also, how long has it been since we've seen PPG averages like this out of so many people! If we shore up the back this team has the offense to be damn scary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_145156_Erie Otters.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_145156_Erie Otters.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 4

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Also, how long has it been since we've seen PPG averages like this out of so many people! If we shore up the back this team has the offense to be damn scary.
Problem is do they have time and/or resources to fix that? At minimum, they need a backup goalie. Thats where I would start. But is there a cheap option? Not going to pretend to know but I don’t think they will be consistent enough with their goalie situation to be anything better than 6/7 seed. If they went to get to middle of the pack and make playoff noise, they need to upgrade their defense as well but I also don’t think they should be in any position to want to use resources on this team. If I was the GM, I would add a backup goalie and maybe shuffle a player in / player out for minimum resources. If someone offers real assets for a player who will be gone by next year, I would entertain for sure but doubt the current GM does that when he’s sold his soul for even an 8th seed, sniff the playoff season (haha, pathetic really)

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Problem is do they have time and/or resources to fix that? At minimum, they need a backup goalie. Thats where I would start. But is there a cheap option? Not going to pretend to know but I don’t think they will be consistent enough with their goalie situation to be anything better than 6/7 seed. If they went to get to middle of the pack and make playoff noise, they need to upgrade their defense as well but I also don’t think they should be in any position to want to use resources on this team. If I was the GM, I would add a backup goalie and maybe shuffle a player in / player out for minimum resources. If someone offers real assets for a player who will be gone by next year, I would entertain for sure but doubt the current GM does that when he’s sold his soul for even an 8th seed, sniff the playoff season (haha, pathetic really)

Can we find value in Bressette or Johnston? If we do, is it enough to land a solid defender or two? Our top 3 lines are pretty solid, line 4 will obviously be developed for next year. Back line, who has value outside of Sova? Perhaps Daviault or Johnston? It's not in Henry or Holomego or Sauder at the moment.

Ben is gone next season so if we don't find success in Gibbons or shore up the net minder we are poised to be a middle of the pack team again and should sell off whomever we can for a boatload of assets but we know that isn't the goal. The goal per Stan is playoffs this year with a potential run next season.

I agree we have some issues in the back and little to make the situation better without killing whatever we have left for the future.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can we find value in Bressette or Johnston? If we do, is it enough to land a solid defender or two? Our top 3 lines are pretty solid, line 4 will obviously be developed for next year. Back line, who has value outside of Sova? Perhaps Daviault or Johnston? It's not in Henry or Holomego or Sauder at the moment.

Ben is gone next season so if we don't find success in Gibbons or shore up the net minder we are poised to be a middle of the pack team again and should sell off whomever we can for a boatload of assets but we know that isn't the goal. The goal per Stan is playoffs this year with a potential run next season.

I agree we have some issues in the back and little to make the situation better without killing whatever we have left for the future.

After the WJ tournaments there could be the option of Mysiak for a 2005-06 import D and a couple of picks. Also, identify the OAs for next season then shop the other ‘04s.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I understand what the team says their goals are but deep run next year seems highly unlikely given the way they are currently constructed. It’s certainly possible guys develop and they can add pieces to improve their chances next season, but the limited assets are only growing and growing. Ideally, if you can get a good return for Bressette and/or Johnston and flip them for something better - that might make some sense. But 1) I don’t think either will net you much and 2) if the goal is long run next year, why should they spend assets on this team?

If they are wanting to spend some assets on this team, it needs to be for something that helps them next year as well. I wish they were getting more production from someone like Bressette or other young 3/4th line players so they could dangle Misiak at the deadline. Add a few high assets so you can focus on next year. But with the current team, they can’t afford that or they will be a fringe playoff team who might not make it. Imo the smartest play is upgrade the backup goalie spot on the cheap and maybe flip a few pieces and use those assets to add a veteran on the backup. Nothing more should be spent on this squad

Edit to add that trading Bressette, which probably won’t add much in return anyways, is going to severely limit the depth. Right now they have 3 solid lines but without him, who are they replacing him with? Their 4th line players have a combined 1 point through already over a 3rd of the season. Yes, Bressette hasn’t lived up to expectations but you don’t have anyone to replace him with and it’s not like the market for him would dictate a big return.

Last edited:

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
I don't think there is any likelihood that Misiak gets traded for 2 reasons. 1 being they need to make the playoffs. While it is certainly possible they can make the playoffs without him, their chances are absolutely better with him. 2 being that Molnar's production without him will likely fall off a cliff. Misiak makes Molnar better. There is no other way to put it.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don't think there is any likelihood that Misiak gets traded for 2 reasons. 1 being they need to make the playoffs. While it is certainly possible they can make the playoffs without him, their chances are absolutely better with him. 2 being that Molnar's production without him will likely fall off a cliff. Misiak makes Molnar better. There is no other way to put it.
To clarify, I never said they would and don’t think they can because of all those reasons. My point was he’s a guy who won’t be back next yr and actually has value. In a world where they had more production across the roster, specifically with their younger players on the 4th line who are invisible, and they had an overall better team - they could afford to do it and still make the playoffs while positioning themselves better for next yr. But DB has poorly constructed the roster and not positioned the assets to where they can conceivably make a legit run anytime soon. It’s likely to be the same team and discussion next year: middle of the pack with limited assets to grow but also can’t afford tank given the recent lack of success. They are basically stuck in purgatory and that’s a horrible spot to be. This is all a result of DB management

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Though the one reason it will be difficult to resist trading Mysiak [(and one of very difficult to part with Alfano or Sova) maybe off-season is better] is how much better the chances of a run next season would be.
Terrance (19) & Fimis (20) up the middle to start is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Possible OAs for 24-25....

Sam Alfano
Pano Fimis
Bruce McDonald
Martin Misiak
Spencer Sova
Kaleb Smith

That's a tough group to separate IMO...

Sova and Misiak hold the most value and Pano is really coming of age here.

Alfano, McDonald, and Smith are more 3rd line guys IMO. I don't know if you'd get the return needed out of any of these 3 to get a decent defender or net minder without disrupting the offense.

I think it is safe to say through this point in the season Roysten, Hammond, Toroptsev, and Messier can't replace a Smith, McDonald, or Alfano so getting rid of any of those 3 is a step backwards to MAYBE move forward?

We have a pretty bare cupboard in picks, but I wouldn't put it past DB to move a middle person and some picks for an upgrade, kind of how they envisioned Daviault to compliment Sova when we shipped out Kyrou.

Edit: I'd also like to add moving Johnston pretty much removes the entire enforcement aspect of our back line, what little there is right now. He's the only one back there willing to throw his body around and protect teammates IMO.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
At the beginning of the year it said “Goaltending Coach: Shane Clifford” and Adrian Volpe was listed as his assistant.

Clifford had enough of Dave Brown and this is coming from Clifford himself.
i think there was some mutual frustration, clifford's hands are not perfectly clean. maybe he needed to be smacked, look at the goaltending results.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
That's a tough group to separate IMO...

Sova and Misiak hold the most value and Pano is really coming of age here.

Alfano, McDonald, and Smith are more 3rd line guys IMO. I don't know if you'd get the return needed out of any of these 3 to get a decent defender or net minder without disrupting the offense.

I think it is safe to say through this point in the season Roysten, Hammond, Toroptsev, and Messier can't replace a Smith, McDonald, or Alfano so getting rid of any of those 3 is a step backwards to MAYBE move forward?

We have a pretty bare cupboard in picks, but I wouldn't put it past DB to move a middle person and some picks for an upgrade, kind of how they envisioned Daviault to compliment Sova when we shipped out Kyrou.

Edit: I'd also like to add moving Johnston pretty much removes the entire enforcement aspect of our back line, what little there is right now. He's the only one back there willing to throw his body around and protect teammates IMO.
Suggestion:

trade Terrance, Sova, Alfano and Fimis for a monster return. The team is in 8th place so it will be Saginaw, Soo or Kitchener in the 1st round. Reload the team so they have more depth and picks to actually build something around Schaefer, Royston and Spence in the future.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Suggestion:

trade Terrance, Sova, Alfano and Fimis for a monster return. The team is in 8th place so it will be Saginaw, Soo or Kitchener in the 1st round. Reload the team so they have more depth and picks to actually build something around Schaefer, Royston and Spence in the future.
2 problems with your proposal:

1) all of those players can and likely will be back next year. Specifically with Terrance, you could move him next year for a high return if you go that route

2) the team hasn’t played a playoff game since May 2017. Going on 7 years. They are desperate, especially financially. They can’t afford to sell off this year even if the market or standings said they should. Context matters here and they need to start playing some playoff games or eventually the franchise will fold..

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
You guys would get solid value for the graduating players. Would also benefit us as we have your 2nd. You guys also don’t have a 2nd or 3rd this year so trades are likely

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dirty12

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Lucas Signoretti- wolves just picked him up. Any reason he wasn't on your team this season?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Suggestion:

You would trade all of those players over Spence? I get he has a lot of assists, but kid barely finds the back of the net. I’d keep Alfano over him any day. The only reason would be next year is his draft year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You would trade all of those players over Spence? I get he has a lot of assists, but kid barely finds the back of the net. I’d keep Alfano over him any day. The only reason would be next year is his draft year.

Spence looks to be on his way to realizing his draft hype to me. The late birth is already skating through defenders with possession.

Reactions: OffIceMan and Mata

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Spence is the third-youngest skater on the team. He leads them in assists, is second in plus-minus, third in scoring. He kills penalties, gets points while killing them, and is maybe the best skater on the team.

You would keep Alfano over him? And any day, no less?

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Spence looks to be on his way to realizing his draft hype to me. The late birth is already skating through defenders with possession.
Yeah I don’t know what OttersFan is smoking here. Spence is a late birth year and still over a PPG with a defense first coaching staff. The lack of goals is a bit disappointing but the talent is so obvious and if you remove him from the equation then Terrance will see his numbers dip a solid amount. There is zero reason to trade Spence unless he requests it.

Spence is the third-youngest skater on the team. He leads them in assists, is second in plus-minus, third in scoring. He kills penalties, gets points while killing them, and is maybe the best skater on the team.

You would keep Alfano over him? And any day, no less?
Sam Alfano over Spence :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
2 problems with your proposal:

1) all of those players can and likely will be back next year. Specifically with Terrance, you could move him next year for a high return if you go that route

2) the team hasn’t played a playoff game since May 2017. Going on 7 years. They are desperate, especially financially. They can’t afford to sell off this year even if the market or standings said they should. Context matters here and they need to start playing some playoff games or eventually the franchise will fold..
The issue with this team is they keep spending to supplement a team that is not worth the investment. Sure they could sell Terrance next year for a reduced return, the point is get the larger return this year and focus on the rebuilding and the development process with a younger but more talented team.

With regards to the playoffs, your summary is a bit misleading. The team missed the playoffs in 2018 and 2019, they were in a playoff spot in 2020, with the 17 and 18 yo they had returning they were well positioned to make them in 2021. The covid years hurt many teams including Erie who had stock piled players and basically got nothing in return for them. The draft cupboard wasn't well equipped to handle a 1 1/2 year stoppage in business and as a result they are where they are today. They have missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

They can roll this mess over, and get slaughtered in the first round, two playoff games isn't going to solve whatever financial problems they have. The team needs to build a team hockey fans can get excited about and want to watch play hockey, support through merchandise sales and attend the rink for every home game.

Reactions: Mata and RB76

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Yep, Spence is a highly skilled 17 yo, the type of player teams build around. Alfano is a third line player on a contending hockey team. His value is only realized as a 19 yo, and if he rolls over to next year they will be lucky to get a 5th & 8th for him as an OA.
FWIW: Fimis & Sova are 2nd line players and reduces to a 3rd & 5th as OA's
With Terrance it is just about capitalizing on the market, for whatever reason it is very weak this year, teams are just not parting with impactful players, Beck is about the only player of significance, any team needing scoring for this year or next year will have interest. Missy, Brantford, Kingston, Saginaw, just about all the teams with deeper stockpile of picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad