Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The issue with this team is they keep spending to supplement a team that is not worth the investment. Sure they could sell Terrance next year for a reduced return, the point is get the larger return this year and focus on the rebuilding and the development process with a younger but more talented team.

With regards to the playoffs, your summary is a bit misleading. The team missed the playoffs in 2018 and 2019, they were in a playoff spot in 2020, with the 17 and 18 yo they had returning they were well positioned to make them in 2021. The covid years hurt many teams including Erie who had stock piled players and basically got nothing in return for them. The draft cupboard wasn't well equipped to handle a 1 1/2 year stoppage in business and as a result they are where they are today. They have missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

They can roll this mess over, and get slaughtered in the first round, two playoff games isn't going to solve whatever financial problems they have. The team needs to build a team hockey fans can get excited about and want to watch play hockey, support through merchandise sales and attend the rink for every home game.

They merely "qualified" for the playoffs in a covid ending 2020 season. The team had a remaining schedule of Saginaw, Flint x 2, Sarnia, and Kitchener with Sarnia being the only team below is and the others holding down the 2, 3, and 4 spots.

With the slide of the team heading into the finish it would be unlikely, IMO, they would have stayed 1 point ahead of the SOO but we will never know for sure. Our major pickup was Sopa who did little to boost our already undersized team.

That being said, yes, Dave Brown has mismanaged trades and assets from the beginning of his time here and has put serious strain on the franchise as a result. We have a team now where we have MOST of the pieces but essentially nothing to add the missing parts. Jim Waters NEEDS to part ways with Dave Brown or the situation will never improve.

Stan's goal is to merely make the playoffs this season, if we can do so by unloading a big name and getting assets to be better next year, we should. My guess is we trade off all remaining 2nd and 3rd round picks through 2050 to land a backup goalie.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The issue with this team is they keep spending to supplement a team that is not worth the investment. Sure they could sell Terrance next year for a reduced return, the point is get the larger return this year and focus on the rebuilding and the development process with a younger but more talented team.

With regards to the playoffs, your summary is a bit misleading. The team missed the playoffs in 2018 and 2019, they were in a playoff spot in 2020, with the 17 and 18 yo they had returning they were well positioned to make them in 2021. The covid years hurt many teams including Erie who had stock piled players and basically got nothing in return for them. The draft cupboard wasn't well equipped to handle a 1 1/2 year stoppage in business and as a result they are where they are today. They have missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

They can roll this mess over, and get slaughtered in the first round, two playoff games isn't going to solve whatever financial problems they have. The team needs to build a team hockey fans can get excited about and want to watch play hockey, support through merchandise sales and attend the rink for every home game.
You aren’t breaking any news here.. I have discussed this point at length for at least 2 years and there are many comments from other posters about it too. So, this isn’t any advanced analysis or deep thinking. It’s obvious. I agree, they are poorly run. DB is horrible. He’s the reason this is the mess it is.

I’m more speaking to clearly how the franchise has approached it the last few years and even this year with buying BG. If it were up to me, I would have completely tanked years ago and stockpiled picks instead of playing this game where you cover your wound with bandaids instead of stitches. I would have drafted a young 17 year old import at 1st overall, not a 1 and done with Misiak. This is also why I brought up the possibility or thought to dangle Misiak trade this year to recoupe assets. While their assets aren’t stockpiled enough to make a huge run - they aren’t so bare that they are in trouble either.

But regardless of COVID or the fact that they may or may not have made it in 2020 before the year ended, the fact remains they haven’t played a meaningful playoff game in going on 7 years.. And according to my research, that’s the longest drought in league history. This is still a business and playoff games, even 2 of them, can net a team $100k. They don’t have promotions in the playoffs so fans have to pay full price for their tickets and even saying $20 a ticket for 2500 fans per game gets you a good amount of income for a bottom level, small market franchise.

Disagree all you want but if the team didn’t need that extra revenue or they weren’t effected by a lack of on ice success since 2017 then you would probably see better hires both in the front office and in other areas like communication, social media, marketing, etc. You add all this to wanting to build a strong foundation and culture, and it’s clear to see why the franchise is desperate to make the playoffs. I don’t blame them for thinking that either, even if it’s probably not how I would approach it. But it’s still possible this team makes the playoffs as a 6th seed and is competitive in the first round. That could really help them build something for next season from a mindset, culture standpoint. I can’t imagine missing the playoffs again would be good for the mental state of the entire organization…

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yep, Spence is a highly skilled 17 yo, the type of player teams build around. Alfano is a third line player on a contending hockey team. His value is only realized as a 19 yo, and if he rolls over to next year they will be lucky to get a 5th & 8th for him as an OA.
FWIW: Fimis & Sova are 2nd line players and reduces to a 3rd & 5th as OA's
With Terrance it is just about capitalizing on the market, for whatever reason it is very weak this year, teams are just not parting with impactful players, Beck is about the only player of significance, any team needing scoring for this year or next year will have interest. Missy, Brantford, Kingston, Saginaw, just about all the teams with deeper stockpile of picks.

Fimis, Sova, Alfano is as good of an OA group one could hope for. One of Alfano or Sova can be moved for a pretty good return if Erie wants to use MacDonald as an OA.
I have no doubt Alfano & Mysak will be coveted at the deadline.
Terrance, Spence, Schaefer, and a very good OA group will ensure Erie is better than middle of the pack next season imo.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Fimis, Sova, Alfano is as good of an OA group one could hope for. One of Alfano or Sova can be moved for a pretty good return if Erie wants to use MacDonald as an OA.
Terrance, Spence, Schaefer, and a very good OA group will ensure Erie is better than middle of the pack next season imo.

Call me crazy, but Misiak/Molanr are almost a package deal. We know Misiak is gone after this season. Perhaps we could move both of them for an import and picks?

I'm not sure what contending teams look like as far as import situation goes, but it would allow us to reload some picks and/or possibly land a younger player + picks.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
So the team has no 2nd, 3rd or 5th round pick in the up an coming draft, exactly how would you propose they fill these picks?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Call me crazy, but Misiak/Molanr are almost a package deal. We know Misiak is gone after this season. Perhaps we could move both of them for an import and picks?

I'm not sure what contending teams look like as far as import situation goes, but it would allow us to reload some picks and/or possibly land a younger player + picks.

Two imports to one team might tough. Besides, one good import reporting per year is challenging enough; the Otters might just want to count on year over year growth hoping Molnar comes into his own next season.

Something I can see NB doing is; Cajokovic, Robertson for Mysak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So the team has no 2nd, 3rd or 5th round pick in the up an coming draft, exactly how would you propose they fill these picks?

Well, I did imply moving Mysak and possibly one OA.
Though not certain, Erie might own the Sarnia ‘24-2nd.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Two imports to one team might tough. Besides, one good import reporting per year is challenging enough; the Otters might just want to count on year over year growth hoping Molnar comes into his own next season.
Agree that they won't likely be able to package them together, however a package with a returning 19 yo could be right in a number of teams wheel house in the case of Molnar: Barrie, Brantford and Missy come to mind. Guelph has Slavik (05-G) who could come back in a move. Oshawa and the Petes have an open spot but aren't buyers.

Reactions: Mata

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agree that they won't likely be able to package them together, however a package with a returning 19 yo could be right in a number of teams wheel house in the case of Molnar: Barrie, Brantford and Missy come to mind. Guelph has Slavik (05-G) who could come back in a move. Oshawa and the Petes have an open spot but aren't buyers.

The Guelph goalie might appealing to Erie.
Somehow, Barrie has no issues getting imports; and, they’re loaded at forward. I don’t see anything there.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The Guelph goalie might appealing to Erie.
Somehow, Barrie has no issues getting imports; and, they’re loaded at forward. I don’t see anything there.
Barrie would be a reach, I agree but they currently have a spot open.

Since we are on goalies Missy also has two very good young goalies, if we start talking about big deals that can move the needle for Erie.

Reactions: RB76

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Barrie would be a reach, I agree but they currently have a spot open.

Since we are on goalies Missy also has two very good young goalies, if we start talking about big deals that can move the needle for Erie.

It would be in Miss’ best interest to keep both goalies or find a real seller willing to give up a big piece.
There is no way I’m giving up an important piece for next season in exchange for a goalie if Erie. It’s Gibson or Fletcher or scramble

yacky

Jun 28, 2018

Something I can see NB doing is; Cajokovic, Robertson for Mysak.
thought importswere not allowed to be tradedin 1st year

EOtterstracker

Oct 13, 2023
You would trade all of those players over Spence? I get he has a lot of assists, but kid barely finds the back of the net. I’d keep Alfano over him any day. The only reason would be next year is his draft year.
Uh……. Best skater on the team, he’s on pace for over a point per game, sets up alot of plays, and a lot more. But of all guys you would keep over him is Alfano? Alfano’s a solid player don’t get me wrong, but I’m not following here.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Uh……. Best skater on the team, he’s on pace for over a point per game, sets up alot of plays, and a lot more. But of all guys you would keep over him is Alfano? Alfano’s a solid player don’t get me wrong, but I’m not following here.

I would agree...

As much as I like Alfano and believe he has grown and is a solid contributor. Spence has so much more dynamic and IMO has grown so far a ton from last season to now. If we hit a home run with him and Schaefer those are the two "franchise" players to build a team around over the next 2 seasons.

At present I would assume Sova and Fimis are safe for next season. IF by some very odd chance Misiak stayed he'd be the obvious number 3. However, I think it will be a battle if McDonald continues to grow at the pace he is and a lot closer than we think between Alfano, McDonald, and Smith for the last OA spot.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Looks like Kingston has loaned G Kyle Downey to the Guelph Storm (I see nothing official that Guelph has acquired him).

Downey was in the lineup for the Storm last night as Damian Slavik is off to represent Slovokia in the WJC

Lucas Signoretti played his 1st game in Sudbury last night. So that 2026 SBY 15th now becomes a 2nd '26 (jk) :D

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
I would agree...

As much as I like Alfano and believe he has grown and is a solid contributor. Spence has so much more dynamic and IMO has grown so far a ton from last season to now. If we hit a home run with him and Schaefer those are the two "franchise" players to build a team around over the next 2 seasons.

At present I would assume Sova and Fimis are safe for next season. IF by some very odd chance Misiak stayed he'd be the obvious number 3. However, I think it will be a battle if McDonald continues to grow at the pace he is and a lot closer than we think between Alfano, McDonald, and Smith for the last OA spot.
I don’t think Sova is still playing junior hockey next year.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Let’s talk attendance ..

Was there someone in here that keeps the info on that ??

While I don’t think it’s earth shattering actually am guessing it’s like other years somewhere around say 1/3 or middle of the pack regarding attendance averages… And yes, I know that ours is low, considering Pennsylvania football and other sports, etc.… But come January and February our attendance generally improves esp Sat night games ..

I know there was a gentleman on the other site stating our attendance is low… Which it is ..But you can’t compare Jacksonville, Florida and their 1 million people to ERIE either / which isn’t even 1/10th the population and size and climate etc

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
OHL average attendance this season.
1. London ~ 9,034
2. Kitchener ~ 6,113
3. Guelph ~ 4,644
4. Oshawa ~ 4,502
5. Windsor ~ 4,433
6. Ottawa ~ 3,916
7. Sarnia ~ 3,792
8. Soo ~ 3,643
9. Sudbury ~ 3,608
10. Erie ~ 3,510
11. Niagara ~ 3,479
12. Peterborough ~ 3,369
13. Barrie ~ 3,287
14. Saginaw ~ 3,206
15. Flint ~ 3,192
16. Brantford ~ 3,050
17. Kingston ~ 3,032
18. North Bay ~ 2,676
19. Owen Sound ~ 2,637
20. Missy ~ 2,291

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
OHL average attendance this season.
1. London ~ 9,034
2. Kitchener ~ 6,113
3. Guelph ~ 4,644
4. Oshawa ~ 4,502
5. Windsor ~ 4,433
6. Ottawa ~ 3,916
7. Sarnia ~ 3,792
8. Soo ~ 3,643
9. Sudbury ~ 3,608
10. Erie ~ 3,510
11. Niagara ~ 3,479
12. Peterborough ~ 3,369
13. Barrie ~ 3,287
14. Saginaw ~ 3,206
15. Flint ~ 3,192
16. Brantford ~ 3,050
17. Kingston ~ 3,032
18. North Bay ~ 2,676
19. Owen Sound ~ 2,637
20. Missy ~ 2,291
I'd be curious to see what those numbers look like when you take Wed/Thurs games out. Seems like No one draws well on weekdays and isn't a great measure of how well a team is drawing people in. I'd assume everyone get a bump, maybe a bit more so for American teams. And then even more after Christmas for US teams. Also % capacity would be a better measure than bulk numbers but don't think it would switch up the order too much. Most teams are sitting at 65-75% by the looks of it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'd be curious to see what those numbers look like when you take Wed/Thurs games out. Seems like No one draws well on weekdays and isn't a great measure of how well a team is drawing people in. I'd assume everyone get a bump, maybe a bit more so for American teams. And then even more after Christmas for US teams. Also % capacity would be a better measure than bulk numbers but don't think it would switch up the order too much. Most teams are sitting at 65-75% by the looks of it.
Also would be great to see the seating capacity of each rink along with attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad