Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Shawn Bednard just mentioned Stan is not behind the bench tonight. No reason given. Wes Wolfe and Ken Peroff are running the bench.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Any idea why Schaefer is a scratch?
I talked to Shawn personally. He said that the players all drove seperate to Guelph with their families. I’m assuming they’re giving him an extra day off due to recent tragic events.

He mentioned it was a small crowd on the bus.

Reactions: ZinErie

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I talked to Shawn personally. He said that the players all drove seperate to Guelph with their families. I’m assuming they’re giving him an extra day off due to recent tragic events.

He mentioned it was a small crowd on the bus.
But didn’t he play on 12/15 and 12/16?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
But didn’t he play on 12/15 and 12/16?
He did. He likely wanted to be with the team since they could provide immediate support. I think the initial shock wore off once he got home and talked to his parents about what had happened. He likely was able to process it at the break. Given how popular she was in the media, I’m sure he was overwhelmed with people giving their condolences or stopping at their house to drop food off etc… Plus social media had it all over through tributes and the news. I’m sure he can’t drive the same route home because of what happened.

Truthfully, I wouldn’t be surprised if his parents drove back with him to Erie instead of going to Guelph. The league preaches about mental health, so I hope that he’s able to get some help to get through her passing. I wonder if he is going to switch billet at houses. I would love to win games with him in the lineup but his mental health is far more important than any game he’s going to play.

I can confirm that he was not in Guelph and did not get on the bus back to Erie. All of the other players rode the bus to the EIA.

I’ll get off my soap box now and I know this wasn’t the response you were looking for. I just wish him well and hope he’ll be okay.

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
He did. He likely wanted to be with the team since they could provide immediate support. I think the initial shock wore off once he got home and talked to his parents about what had happened. He likely was able to process it at the break. Given how popular she was in the media, I’m sure he was overwhelmed with people giving their condolences or stopping at their house to drop food off etc… Plus social media had it all over through tributes and the news. I’m sure he can’t drive the same route home because of what happened.

Truthfully, I wouldn’t be surprised if his parents drove back with him to Erie instead of going to Guelph. The league preaches about mental health, so I hope that he’s able to get some help to get through her passing. I wonder if he is going to switch billet at houses. I would love to win games with him in the lineup but his mental health is far more important than any game he’s going to play.

I can confirm that he was not in Guelph and did not get on the bus back to Erie. All of the other players rode the bus to the EIA.

I’ll get off my soap box now and I know this wasn’t the response you were looking for. I just wish him well and hope he’ll be okay.
There's no way they can let him stay with the same billet. Need to find him a new family asap. I won't be surprised if they end up trading him in the summer. I certainly hope he stays but I couldn't blame him or his parents if they want a change of scenery. Hope the kid is doing alright, he's a hell of a talent.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
There's no way they can let him stay with the same billet. Need to find him a new family asap. I won't be surprised if they end up trading him in the summer. I certainly hope he stays but I couldn't blame him or his parents if they want a change of scenery. Hope the kid is doing alright, he's a hell of a talent.
Exactly. I honestly think they need to find him a cyber school program through Canada so he doesn’t have to stay in the Fairview boundaries. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere over there if I were him.

I figured that’s why he wasn’t in Guelph. If I was his parents, I’d drive down to Erie instead and demand change. They were first time billets. It didn’t need to happen. I understand there was no way to know, but Schaefer is top talent. He’s already elite at 16 and now like you mentioned we’re at risk of him wanting out. He loves Erie, but not at the cost of his well being.

NotACoach

Dec 30, 2023
Did anybody ever think that they have already moved him out of that home? That is possible. Also with the fact that he played after her death in Erie that perhaps he is just sick?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Did anybody ever think that they have already moved him out of that home? That is possible. Also with the fact that he played after her death in Erie that perhaps he is just sick?
I’m sure he took all of his things before the break. With the holiday, they probably had to find someone new or reach out to current billets to see if they had any open beds.

He played after her death, but I have a feeling he was numb and shocked. Shawn told me in Guelph “he was spending extra time with his family” and not that he was sick.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
What a game this evening!!!

Roysten got his first goal, the Refs were horrid, especially with the Johnston penalty where the ref farthest away calls a trip but number 4, who was supposedly tripped gets called for a dive, epic fail!!!

Spence played insane, Molnar and Fimis as well. Edwards looks like he belongs on this roster ahead of Hammond and Toroptsev and by a lot. What a horrible problem to have. Henry and Schaefer are going to make a great pairing!

That game could have easily been 10 or 12 - 3. Proud of how they played!

NotACoach

Dec 30, 2023
I’m sure he took all of his things before the break. With the holiday, they probably had to find someone new or reach out to current billets to see if they had any open beds.

He played after her death, but I have a feeling he was numb and shocked. Shawn told me in Guelph “he was spending extra time with his family” and not that he was sick.
I agree that he should be moved from that home. I just think the information Shawn gave may be a little incorrect. He seems to have been giving out bad information starting with the team driving separately to Guelph. I know for a fact that the team had a full practice on Wednesday night at the EIA. I think it is not in great taste to speculate on a 16 year olds mental health.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Holy wow...the boys played so well this evening!!!

At first I thought Brampton came out a little faster but as the game went on we capitalized on their mistakes time and time again!!!

This weekend saw Roysten and Hammond get their first OHL goals and if it wasn't obvious at the start if the season, it should be now; Dylan Edwards deserves a roster spot even after Terrance and Misiak return.

It also proved Henry is well beyond Holomego at this point. Two costly, and uncalled for penalties and the Bulldogs punished us for them. Remove those 2 goals and we just routed one of the top 5 teams in the league without Terrance and Misiak!

We finished the year in 6th place in the conference and hopefully with a lot of momentum moving into the new year.

Proud of the adversity they have overcome so far and look forward to a stronger 2nd half.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Erie Otters – up two spots to #9 this week
They’re the fourth-place team in a tough Midwest Division, but the Erie Otters have cracked the top-10 in this week’s Power Rankings thanks to victories over Niagara and Brantford to close out the weekend. Sophomore forward Malcolm Spence put on a show in the absence of World Junior attendees Carey Terrance (USA) and Martin Misiak (Slovakia) Saturday night, scoring a pair of shorthanded goals while adding two assists as the Otters outgunned the visiting IceDogs. Ben Gaudreau, the OHL’s winningest active goaltender, locked-down career victories #70 and #71 last week.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Looking forward to a good match up tonight. Both teams play each other hard and I’m sure there will be some rough stuff

Reactions: Mata

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Heard Misiak isn't flying back into Erie until Sunday. Probably gave him some time with family.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Good gritty win last night...

Wonder if we will make any roster moves before the 10th?

We should have both Terrance and Misiak here on out, however my observations would be to keep Edwards playing and rotate out Toroptsev, Messier, and Hammond as healthy scratches. He just makes our team that much better.

Defensively, Henry needs to play more over Holomego. I'm not even sure Holomego should have made the roster, he's just not good at this level as evidence by him barely playing the 2nd and 3rd periods last night.

Goalie wise, sure Ben is better than anything we've had in a while, but let's be honest here...we NEED a goalie for next season and I'm not so sure it is Gibbons.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I'd trade Misiak if we can get good value. He won't be here next season. Maybe we get our #1 goaltender for next season in the import draft. I'd trade any one of our 19 y/o except Fimis for future assets as well.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
Usually make a deal around this time of year with Niagara the last couple seasons.......🤔

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The Otters are in an awkward spot going into this trade deadline. Realistically, they should probably be doing a minor sell off (perhaps Misiak + Bressette) to recoup a few 2025/2026/2027 picks. Next season (and possibly 25/26) is their chance to make a real run. They should still be good enough to make the playoffs without these two, especially with the teams below them selling.

If they aren't going to sell (which imo, is a mistake), they should at least spend a mid/late round pick addressing the back up goalie situation. I still think Gibbons has long-term potential, but they clearly do not trust him. If they have any chance of making noise in the playoffs this season, they need Gaudreau to be as fresh and rested as possible, which requires bringing in a backup that can give them ~10 decent starts in the 2nd half.

Interested to see what they do. Either way, at least the team is competent and fun to watch this season. That itself is a big improvement over the past ~5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad