Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Just a question for y’all. Who would be your best 2 tradable Forwards and how much would they cost at this point?

Malcolm Spence and either Carey Terrance or Martin Misiak from a pure talent standpoint.

I would think the first two would command quite a bit because they have more than just this season whereas Misiak is done after this one.

Fimis, Molnar, and Bressette would be slightly below those 3 in value I believe.

Reactions: WolvesFan

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Malcolm Spence and either Carey Terrance or Martin Misiak from a pure talent standpoint.

I would think the first two would command quite a bit because they have more than just this season whereas Misiak is done after this one.

Fimis, Molnar, and Bressette would be slightly below those 3 in value I believe.
Thank you!!

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Just a question for y’all. Who would be your best 2 tradable Forwards and how much would they cost at this point?
The 2 best 'tradable' forwards are Misiak (import) and one of the 19yos (Fimis or Alfano). For me personally, Terrance, Spence and Fimis should be unavailable. Erie is supposed to be a contender next season. If that's the case, those three should be untouchable.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Don't know much about him...
Screenshot_20240109_204229_Facebook.jpg

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Don't know much about him...View attachment 799745
I don’t see this as a good trade and I hope I’m wrong. His Jr stats look good, but his OHL stats look no better than Gibby. We needed to upgrade our backup spot and that was the best on the market? I’m hoping he does well for us. We didn’t spend a ton and he could be a great surprise.

Of course Niagara isn’t a good team to get decent stats so it’s hard to say.

Isn’t the Jr stats from a more waterdown league in terms of the game isn’t as fast paced as the OHL? I’m not familiar with the Jr leagues as I am OHL. I figured it’s OHL, Jr A, then Jr B. I will admit, I could be wrong and would like to be educated.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don’t see this as a good trade and I hope I’m wrong. His Jr stats look good, but his OHL stats look no better than Gibby. We needed to upgrade our backup spot and that was the best on the market? I’m hoping he does well for us. We didn’t spend a ton and he could be a great surprise.

Isn’t the Jr stats from a more waterdown league in terms of the game isn’t as fast paced as the OHL? I’m not familiar with the Jr leagues as I am OHL. I figured it’s OHL, Jr A, then Jr B. I will admit, I could be wrong and would like to be educated.
For a 10th round pick, who can blame them for throwing darts at a board here. Would rather have this then waste real assets on someone who isn’t much of an upgrade or with a team that isn’t going far. I think this is just another option in the system at this point but clearly isn’t upgrading their BG spot which I think is a mistake is they stand pat elsewhere (meaning don’t do a minor sell)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

The GOJHL is the main league that OHL prospects play in. It's junior B. OJHL is junior A but it's more of an NCAA prep league or a place that older prospects that aren't going to be playing in the OHL head. NOJHL (Northen Ont) and CCHL (Ottawa/East Ont) are also leagues guys can play in but again don't produce alot of OHL prospects.

Stats can be watered down for the GOJHL but if you put them in context (compare to other 06's, quality of team etc) you can get an idea of where a prospect is at. For a 10th, its a good pick up IMO.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He's from the Soo. A good kid from what I have heard. Never really got a chance in Niagara. Hopefully he gets a shot in Erie, and then we will see what we have.

Reactions: Mata

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The GOJHL is the main league that OHL prospects play in. It's junior B. OJHL is junior A but it's more of an NCAA prep league or a place that older prospects that aren't going to be playing in the OHL head. NOJHL (Northen Ont) and CCHL (Ottawa/East Ont) are also leagues guys can play in but again don't produce alot of OHL prospects.

Stats can be watered down for the GOJHL but if you put them in context (compare to other 06's, quality of team etc) you can get an idea of where a prospect is at. For a 10th, its a good pick up IMO.
Several OHL teams assign their players to local teams, billet the players, and then work with the them all season in development sessions and practices. Squeeze them into games when the opportunity presents itself. The days of sending the kids home to play in their local teams completely detached from the OHL club are long gone. I've wondered what the US teams do without this capability, it would really put them at a disadvantage if their prospects aren't getting the OHL level attention that some of the other teams are providing.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Several OHL teams assign their players to local teams, billet the players, and then work with the them all season in development sessions and practices. Squeeze them into games when the opportunity presents itself. The days of sending the kids home to play in their local teams completely detached from the OHL club are long gone. I've wondered what the US teams do without this capability, it would really put them at a disadvantage if their prospects aren't getting the OHL level attention that some of the other teams are providing.
Yeah even some teams have even affiliated themselves with junior B teams like Saginaw and Chatham.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah even some teams have even affiliated themselves with junior B teams like Saginaw and Chatham.
Those are interesting relationships but with a few of hours of travel between its not like these kids can bounce between teams all that easily. The routines, schedules and quality of training between the two levels can be very different.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Those are interesting relationships but with a few of hours of travel between its not like these kids can bounce between teams all that easily. The routines, schedules and quality of training between the two levels can be very different.
Spitfire ownership also own the Jr B team in LaSalle (part of Windsor) so easy to place players there and good for development. They are also now part of the new Ottawa Senators ownership group.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

Thank you for this! The league isn’t talked about much here for obvious geographical reason. I appreciate this.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Gibbons needs to find confidence in the worst kind of way. I know he isn't getting consistent action and Kitchener is one of the top teams, but come on young man, we know you can do better.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gibbons needs to find confidence in the worst kind of way. I know he isn't getting consistent action and Kitchener is one of the top teams, but come on young man, we know you can do better.
Can I ask why they ONLY play this kid every 3-4 weeks and always vs elite teams?

His starts
SEP 29th @ MISS
OCT 6th @ GUE
OCT 15th vs MISS
OCT 27th @ KIT
NOV 21st @ KIT
DEC 2nd @ OS
JAN 3rd @ Ldn
JAN 12th @ KIT

His "easiest" opponent has been Owen Sound... that is not the way to ease & develop a young goalie. Just murdering his confidence. And he may just stink but at least give him an easier game to build off it/give him confidence. And all on the road except 1. That's wild to me.

eriefan101

Nov 6, 2023
Can I ask why they ONLY play this kid every 3-4 weeks and always vs elite teams?

His starts
SEP 29th @ MISS
OCT 6th @ GUE
OCT 15th vs MISS
OCT 27th @ KIT
NOV 21st @ KIT
DEC 2nd @ OS
JAN 3rd @ Ldn
JAN 12th @ KIT

His "easiest" opponent has been Owen Sound... that is not the way to ease & develop a young goalie. Just murdering his confidence. And he may just stink but at least give him an easier game to build off it/give him confidence. And all on the road except 1. That's wild to me.
Don’t understand how the kid is supposed to develop when he’s only playing the best teams in the leauge in their arena. Really poor handling by the team, a lot of talent in that kid.

Reactions: GetOutDaKitchin

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With the possible exception of consecutive days, the #1 goalie gets the home games, and whatever road split suits the team.
I think that would be accurate for every team that has a clear #1 every year.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
With the possible exception of consecutive days, the #1 goalie gets the home games, and whatever road split suits the team.
I think that would be accurate for every team that has a clear #1 every year.
Yeah I totally understand the development side of things but they are also trying to win games and be competitive and when you have a clear #1, you want to play him in the home games or the more winnable games. If they played Gibbons in some of those, they probably have at least 3-4 more losses and the team overall is in a bad spot. It’s not as simple as just giving him the easier situations to develop when they have a full team’s confidence to worry about as well.

Reactions: ZinErie and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah I totally understand the development side of things but they are also trying to win games and be competitive and when you have a clear #1, you want to play him in the home games or the more winnable games. If they played Gibbons in some of those, they probably have at least 3-4 more losses and the team overall is in a bad spot. It’s not as simple as just giving him the easier situations to develop when they have a full team’s confidence to worry about as well.

And, it’s the vet goalie’s last year to develop before pro hockey; or, …
It’s a development league for all, some have more time remaining in the league to develop at an appropriate rate for each individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad