Erie Otters 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Tonight goes to show two things. 1) how tough the Western Conference continues to be. We won that was the goal, but Sudbury is top in the east. If we were in the east, we would be in the mix for a higher seed. It’s hard to say and it’s not to discredit Sudbury from their success.

2) We can play against anyone. Keep the PP going and be disciplined to stay out of the box. We didn’t have to struggle on the PK which helped us. A lot of people contributed tonight and it’s nice to see four lines rolling instead of exhausting the same two.

Today was a good solid 60 minute win. Take a rest day and bring the same energy Sunday.

The mid-west is once again best.
The west post deadline (Flint, Sarnia, Windsor) might be the weakest division. And the east most improved from the start of the season to now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He definitely won the fight. He’s barely 16. He’s going to be an enforcer in another year or two.

Big strong kid, no doubt. But don’t go overboard, the big rookie tied up a much smaller rookie before he even knew he was in a fight; but could not finish him, in fact the smaller rookie nearly KO’d the bigger rookie at the end with the bigger rookie holding on until they fell to the ice.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The mid-west is once again best.
The west post deadline (Flint, Sarnia, Windsor) might be the weakest division. And the east most improved from the start of the season to now.
You only have to go back the last 2 seasons to see the western conference champ came from the western division. So the " once again" comment is a bit mute.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You only have to go back the last 2 seasons to see the western conference champ came from the western division. So the " once again" comment is a bit mute.

London is mid-west, right?
The OHL champion in 3/4 seasons were eastern conference teams, so the eastern conference was stronger overall? I don’t think that’s quite right.
I’m not sure if mid-west is almost always best is disputable.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
London is mid-west, right?
The OHL champion in 3/4 seasons were eastern conference teams, so the eastern conference was stronger overall? I don’t think that’s quite right.
I’m not sure if mid-west is almost always best is disputable.
Almost always is likely not disputable but once again is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Almost always is likely not disputable but once again is.

Alright, the west was pretty strong for a couple of seasons; hence, ‘once again’ the mid-west is best.
I will rephrase my post anyways. Right now the mid-west is very strong, and the west might be the weakest division post deadline.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Alright, the west was pretty strong for a couple of seasons; hence, ‘once again’ the mid-west is best.
I will rephrase my post anyways. Right now the mid-west is very strong, and the west might be the weakest division post deadline.
Well I do agree this year the West is likely the weakest division.

I'll rate then as such-.
Midwest
Central
East
West

And from there I will leave the thread to Erie fans.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Are noise makers aloud?? Thinking a horn that you blow into....

Do you remember a travelling bulls fan with cimbols? So funny! He got a warning from an usher; then when the usher turned to leave, the fan crashed the cimbols together behind the usher’s back. Classic.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I’m convinced that SOO has as bad of stream as us. They get points for being able to see the picture, but the audio is terrible. 5 seconds behind the play.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I’m convinced that SOO has as bad of stream as us. They get points for being able to see the picture, but the audio is terrible. 5 seconds behind the play.

it think they might have been using the radio feed

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Well I do agree this year the West is likely the weakest division.

I'll rate then as such-.
Midwest
Central
East
West

And from there I will leave the thread to Erie fans.

I'll weigh in, risking the ire of Erie fans for hijacking the thread.

Points earned so far by each division:
220 - East
211 - Central
265 - MidWest
223 - West

I don't think anyone will disagree that the MidWest is the strongest. The other 3 are much closer.

Based on the moves that the Central teams made, it probably gets stronger over the second half but it will be tough to completely close the gap on both the East and the West with the points leads they have.

The East and the West both had a couple of buyers and a couple of sellers. But Peterborough sold a ton. I don't think the West relinquishes it's lead on the East as a result.

At the end of the season, when measured by total points, I think it will end up very close for the bottom 3, but I would guess:
1st - MidWest
2nd - West
3rd - Central
4th - East

Reactions: Mata

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'll weigh in, risking the ire of Erie fans for hijacking the thread.

Points earned so far by each division:
220 - East
211 - Central
265 - MidWest
223 - West

I don't think anyone will disagree that the MidWest is the strongest. The other 3 are much closer.

Based on the moves that the Central teams made, it probably gets stronger over the second half but it will be tough to completely close the gap on both the East and the West with the points leads they have.

The East and the West both had a couple of buyers and a couple of sellers. But Peterborough sold a ton. I don't think the West relinquishes it's lead on the East as a result.

At the end of the season, when measured by total points, I think it will end up very close for the bottom 3, but I would guess:
1st - MidWest
2nd - West
3rd - Central
4th - East

My post was ‘right now’ and ‘post deadline’ the west might be the weakest division. It really has nothing to do with point accumulation leading up to the deadline.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If I am predicting the West doesn't cede ground to the East, then I guess I am saying post deadline the East is weakest. Imo. Also trying to provide a means to quantitatively measure it.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Perhaps we should have tried the new goalie...

This isn't going to cut it if we want to go past the 1st round next season.

Reactions: Moroz

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Watched the 3rd period last night. Erie looked good just seemed puck luck was not their side. BTW who set tonight's schedule? Travel to Oshawa and then all the way back home to face the Knights the next night. That's a tough ask for your players. Be safe.

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
Perhaps we should have tried the new goalie...

This isn't going to cut it if we want to go past the 1st round next season.

What is Gaudreau's status?

On the season, Gibbons is 0-6-1, with a GAA of 6.47 and a Save PCT. of .795. Gaudreau has been a serviceable, upper-middle of the pack goalie (21-11-2, GAA 3.31, Save Pct. .889), but he cannot be played every game. Goaltending has been the Achilles heel of this team for several years now, That is entirely on the GM.

And, as Mata rightly suggests, it is not looking at all good for next year. If Gaudreau is out for any length of time, that will be true of this year as well.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
What is Gaudreau's status?

On the season, Gibbons is 0-6-1, with a GAA of 6.47 and a Save PCT. of .795. Gaudreau has been a serviceable, upper-middle of the pack goalie (21-11-2, GAA 3.31, Save Pct. .889), but he cannot be played every game. Goaltending has been the Achilles heel of this team for several years now, That is entirely on the GM.

And, as Mata rightly suggests, it is not looking at all good for next year. If Gaudreau is out for any length of time, that will be true of this year as well.
Benny is in a boot and awaiting an MRI this week.

• Wow

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Welcome Charlie Burns and a 2 game losing streak to London.

All things considered:

The best team in the league...
A sell out crowd...
Your first game in Erie...

He played very well IMO and I feel like 2 of the 4 goals were definitely not on him, the shorty and the power play goal as a result of a stupid penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad