Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Can't help but laugh at that game. Unbelievably one sided officiating. But in the end a rookie mistake from Marchment costs Erie the game and likely the series.

I'm not sure how it it was one sided. Oshawa won fair and square.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Sorry Niagara is NOT even close to being loud.

Most raucous fans are in Erie and North Bay is right up there too!
If you watch on t.v they do not pick up the sound but in person the Meridian Centre is loud esp has the season went on and esp in the Oshawa series why would the Oshawa player lie.

gensrock

Sep 21, 2008
Can't help but laugh at that game. Unbelievably one sided officiating. But in the end a rookie mistake from Marchment costs Erie the game and likely the series.

I honestly thought it was a fairly good game by the ref's! & you win as a team....its the only way it works in team sports

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It was a very even game, could have gone either way. Just felt Oshawa got away with a lot, especially hunter smith. Right before that fifth goal he boarded dermott, no call. Did it again in OT after the whistle had gone.

Oh well, it was a great season and a pleasure watching McDavid.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I honestly thought it was a fairly good game by the ref's! & you win as a team....its the only way it works in team sports

Every call they made was something they had to call. High sticks, delay of game, both teams got dinged for embellishment

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
It was a very even game, could have gone either way. Just felt Oshawa got away with a lot, especially hunter smith. Right before that fifth goal he boarded dermott, no call. Did it again in OT after the whistle had gone.

Oh well, it was a great season and a pleasure watching McDavid.

Did you see the replay of that hit? He hardly hit him. If anything, it was a dive. Just my opinion.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Every call they made was something they had to call. High sticks, delay of game, both teams got dinged for embellishment

Wanted to comment on this specifically. How did DeBrincat get called for embellishment when he got high sticked in the face and was bleeding? How is that even a call you can make?

But it doesn't matter, Erie had plenty of chances to win and didn't.

That was also some terribad faceoff execution on the tying goal.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Wanted to comment on this specifically. How did DeBrincat get called for embellishment when he got high sticked in the face and was bleeding? How is that even a call you can make?

But it doesn't matter, Erie had plenty of chances to win and didn't.

That was also some terribad faceoff execution on the tying goal.

Comes down to Williams being pretty terrible tonight. Had 2-3 goals that were all on him. Appleby although he gave up 5 really had no chance on all of them

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Comes down to Williams being pretty terrible tonight. Had 2-3 goals that were all on him. Appleby although he gave up 5 really had no chance on all of them

I agree, he's been pretty bad this series.

It's like he can only play well against SSM. Everyone else he is swiss cheese.

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
I thought the puck hit the glass first, but no one on the ice for Erie argued it, so it was obviously the right call. However, I think everyone on this board thinks that is the dumbest penalty in hockey. Horrible way for such a great game to end. I think Erie played well for the most part. Faceoffs and rebound control hurt. Very surprised the goal wasn't looked at, I sit right behind the net and thought it should have been looked at.

The fact that Erie was able to regroup twice tonight shows how much this team wants it, they just ran out of gas late in the game. I think this team has the ability to grind out another win and at least get it back here for game 6, I'm not sure we have enough to grind out three.

Oshawa is a very good team, I'll have no problem rooting for them if they are the OHL rep at the Mem Cup, minus Smith. That kid is awful. Runs around doing all his late antics and chirping. Especially with Mac, but lets be honest.....if you shy away from fighting Donnay in game 2, you aren't fighting anyone else.

Got my tickets for game 5, hopefully it isn't the last time I see this team play together let alone see McDavid.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I thought I heard it hit the glass but you're right if they didn't argue it, was the right call. Everyone who follows hockey thinks that rule should be gone, it's terrible. Players never mean to do that.

Hunter Smith is an asshat. Tired of that guy. Runs Erie players all game and gets away with it because "playoff officiating". I will have no problem rooting for Oshawa should they close out this series, minus him.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
You heard the puck hit the glass? Hard to believe you could hear anything with the incredibly loud Erie fans. Wishful thinking. It wasn't even close.

gens90

Mar 16, 2015
Markham
I thought I heard it hit the glass but you're right if they didn't argue it, was the right call. Everyone who follows hockey thinks that rule should be gone, it's terrible. Players never mean to do that.

Hunter Smith is an asshat. Tired of that guy. Runs Erie players all game and gets away with it because "playoff officiating". I will have no problem rooting for Oshawa should they close out this series, minus him.

I agree, delay of game penalty is stupid, but if its not enforced, teams in the defensive end will just flip the puck out of play whenever they get under pressure...and will cause the game to slow down...

Second, Hunter plays with an edge, and is the guy that tries to get under the other team's skin, so it clearly seems to be working...he's not an "asshat" as you so affectionately called him, he's a grinder that can back up his trash talk with timely hits and goals...if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen...

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
back it up with your fist, you lay a hit from behind and youre challenged step up. I have no problem with players who do that, Every team in the league does it, but Smith wants nothing to do with anyone over 6'2 on Erie lol.

I totally agree that the clearing of the puck could get out of control, but icing does the same thing and the OHL got ride of the "no line change rule" so get rid of this garbage too. Also this is no excuse for the game, Erie probably should have lost this one in the first period. It's just something that needs to be looked at, and a game like this brings it to the front of discussion.

On another not, I wonder how the ice was tonight, guys(Mermis) seemed to have complaints about it late in the game. If it was bad the other night following nothing, it couldn't have been good today after a concert. Sunday would be worse following a graduation hours before puck drop(if we get there).But who would have thought months ago Erie would still be playing, not myself. Whatever happens from here is a bonus. I really hope the boys bring it back, if they have to lose, I honestly hope its on hope ice, so they can get the appreciation they deserve from the fans when all is said and done.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
the puck hit the glass I M H O ... direction change as it went into the stands .
but the game was lost in the second a soft goal and then ... .06
Face offs cost the Otters that game
win the draw and the 5th goal does not happen

why was the gens coach calling Willams a pu88y?
why was the gens coach chirping fans as he left the ice?

think maybe i will send branch an e mail to get to the bottom of it ....

the O T loss last year took the wind out of the Otters hope it was a lesson learned and the results are different this year .

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
back it up with your fist, you lay a hit from behind and youre challenged step up. I have no problem with players who do that, Every team in the league does it, but Smith wants nothing to do with anyone over 6'2 on Erie lol.

I totally agree that the clearing of the puck could get out of control, but icing does the same thing and the OHL got ride of the "no line change rule" so get rid of this garbage too. Also this is no excuse for the game, Erie probably should have lost this one in the first period. It's just something that needs to be looked at, and a game like this brings it to the front of discussion.

On another not, I wonder how the ice was tonight, guys(Mermis) seemed to have complaints about it late in the game. If it was bad the other night following nothing, it couldn't have been good today after a concert. Sunday would be worse following a graduation hours before puck drop(if we get there).But who would have thought months ago Erie would still be playing, not myself. Whatever happens from here is a bonus. I really hope the boys bring it back, if they have to lose, I honestly hope its on hope ice, so they can get the appreciation they deserve from the fans when all is said and done.

Lmao what? Hunter challenged MacDermid back in Oshawa. I think MacDermids gloves were glued to his hands though.. If it was such a brutal hit I don't think Hunter would of had a choice but to fight. Didn't look like anyone was too serious about getting him to go...

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
Lmao what? Hunter challenged MacDermid back in Oshawa. I think MacDermids gloves were glued to his hands though.. If it was such a brutal hit I don't think Hunter would of had a choice but to fight. Didn't look like anyone was too serious about getting him to go...

You must have forgot last year in Oshawa when they were going to go & smith waited for the refs to get in between them before dropping the gloves, believe both got 10s. If your scared to fight Donnay you won't be fighting any real fighter.

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Wow Erie blaming the referees when they lose and don't say nothing when they win

Last edited:

mohockey

mohockey
Jan 9, 2014
Erie, Pa
I am looking for Erie to have the game of the year on Friday. They have proven their tenacity; they do not give up! Oshawa is a big, tough team and Erie is an offensive wonder! I think the series shows the ability of the coach to see what is going on and make appropriate changes...re: face offs. Marchment is a natural for face offs. USE HIM! And the way Oshawa lined up at the end of the period and scored the second time they lined up like that! Use our big guys against their big guys! Macdermid and Genovese. Come on hockey gods. Take us to game 7.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It was a great game to be a part of. I feel bad for Mason. He certainly didn't do it on purpose. Reffing was not an issue as I saw it. It was simply two very good teams putting their all out on the ice. All of the fans I talked to have been more than happy with the play of these wonderful group of kids. No matter what occurs we love our Otters!

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013

I think you said the same thing when Erie lost to the Soo a few games in that series. At some point its not always the refs, at some point your team just didn't get it done. Im not a fan of either team, have no emotions attached, and felt it was fine, refs called it the same way both sides.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Awesome game last night! I was there and can honestly say loudest fans and one of the best atmospheres I have ever seen. Great fans in Erie. I was welcomed by so many fans to Erie. Had lots of great hockey talk before, during and after the game by many very knowledgable fans. Thank you Erie fans for making my son and I feel so welcome . What a game ! Very even game and the goal by mcdavid was amazing sniping top hand corner while skating opposite shot. Really feel that if Erie had a difference maker in goal this year then they would be unstoppable . That's not to blame williams but if it's jake smith or perressini or appleby in net then those back breaker goals or momentum changing goals might not happen. Mcdavid with elie and debrincat are an elite line that can really move the puck. Oshawa's success is due to the complete buy in of the players to the team defensive system game.
Looking forward to Friday night. Hope it's rocking in Oshawa! Again thanks Erie fans for an enjoyable night and great conversation with top notch fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad