Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Erie

Thought he cost Erie game 4 by giving up 6 goals. Erie scored 5 and it wasn't enough.. In this series he had to be above average but at least average and was neither. I don't think it's his fault in terms of talent, he just might not be that good to be the starter of a top team. Yes he beat SSM but lucky for Erie Halverson and their defense gave up goals and breakaways all series. Just thought most of the goals for Oshawa in this series was rebound goals and traffic goals.. Williams didn't see the puck well and it's how he performed from October to March so no surprise that guy showed up again

Hate to say it because I was pulling for Erie when they played SSM, that goaltending in the end would be their undoing, the fact they did not upgrade the goal tending and d at the deadline was foolhardy, going with 2 average o/a dmen in Genovese and Donnay, no stud in goal and on d, at least 1 area, the SSM had Nurse and De Angelo, but an average tender who got outplayed by another, Williams, and the Hounds could not stop McDavid on the pp, the Generals size outlasted Erie
Great season by Erie, but bad decisions at the deadline cost them.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Everybody but Williams I am proud of.

But really isn't Williams fault, he is clearly just a solid backup goalie and that is it. So I blame bassin. Unfortunately he didn't address the only real concern for Erie and that was goaltending. And with the best player in the ohl in recent memory I don't understand why they didn't make more moves. Could have recouped assests next year with the likes of Strome and others. But you'll never get a franchise player who is even close to the talent of Mcdavid and we didn't win anything meaningful so this one hurts
Wow!!!I never heard Nick Baptiste name on TV until the third period.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Hate to say it because I was pulling for Erie when they played SSM, that goaltending in the end would be their undoing, the fact they did not upgrade the goal tending and d at the deadline was foolhardy, going with 2 average o/a dmen in Genovese and Donnay, no stud in goal and on d, at least 1 area, the SSM had Nurse and De Angelo, but an average tender who got outplayed by another, Williams, and the Hounds could not stop McDavid on the pp, the Generals size outlasted Erie
Great season by Erie, but bad decisions at the deadline cost them.

Deadline costed them for sure. They made average moves. And did so last year too. They add Paterson and a top 2 defensemen and it may be a different fate. Positive Paterson would have faired better with an offense that could control play and an above average defense, he would have likely been a stud in Erie but certainly made more dependable saves than Williams. Wasn't talented goals by Oshawa it was rebound and soft goals mostly, the ones you have to save as a goalie

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Deadline costed them for sure. They made average moves. And did so last year too. They add Paterson and a top 2 defensemen and it may be a different fate. Positive Paterson would have faired better with an offense that could control play and an above average defense, he would have likely been a stud in Erie but certainly made more dependable saves than Williams. Wasn't talented goals by Oshawa it was rebound and soft goals mostly, the ones you have to save as a goalie

Oh well Generals are going to the memorial cup, I don't know what you have been watching but the generals have a talented team and deserve to be going to Quebec

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Go gens go!! Go gens go!!

Congrats to Erie for a good year and knocking out SSM.

Oshawa will represent the ohl well.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Oh well Generals are going to the memorial cup, I don't know what you have been watching but the generals have a talented team and deserve to be going to Quebec

Yes they deserve it cause they won.. Erie didn't. But the let them play in the playoffs by the refs benefited Oshawa. They had some nasty crosschecks, interferences and slashes that allowed you to "stop" Mcdavid and the otters forwards. Lots of missed calls, both ways but benefited the Gens physical style.

Erie wins game 2 or 4 and they win this series.. Both games they could have won but in both games Williams was outplayed. Williams cost Erie mainly cause Appleby was that good. Give Oshawa a decent goalie and this series is different. Give Erie a top goalie and this is different. Really comes down to goaltending and well Erie never had it all year

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
It was a little sad that Oshawa booed McDavid for winning MVP though. Not the classiest of gestures.

No it's Oshawa, expect northing else! :laugh:

Congrats on a great run. Sorry you lost to Oshawa. Always hated that team so I really wanted you to pull this out.

Your team was a mere Grade-A goalie away from the title and would have done the OHL Proud.

Absolutely love McDavid. What a treat to watch. Edmonton will have a gem!

And those Erie fans. WOW! :amazed: :handclap: Love that ****! Easily the loudest fans in the CHL by a long shot. What a place. Watched some of those goals (in this series) and the roar of the crowd on a few goals was phenomenal! Made Oshawa look like church on Sunday!

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Congrats on the season fellas. Honestly, going into the playoffs I was hoping to see the Soo in the finals, so all the talk about who was better would be put to rest. But, good teams show up in the games that matter and Erie proved that they were the real contenders. It was a pleasure to see McDavid's last games in the OHL.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Williams was outclassed, no question, but Oshawa had the better team and deserved the series. The Generals weren't ranked #1 in the CHL for 95% of the season for nothing. To pin the whole thing on the goalie really isn't fair to the kid or the Generals.

It was an incredibly treat to get to see my team win the tittle, but also get to watch McDavid. Kudos Erie on a great run!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Yes they deserve it cause they won.. Erie didn't. But the let them play in the playoffs by the refs benefited Oshawa. They had some nasty crosschecks, interferences and slashes that allowed you to "stop" Mcdavid and the otters forwards. Lots of missed calls, both ways but benefited the Gens physical style.

Erie wins game 2 or 4 and they win this series.. Both games they could have won but in both games Williams was outplayed. Williams cost Erie mainly cause Appleby was that good. Give Oshawa a decent goalie and this series is different. Give Erie a top goalie and this is different. Really comes down to goaltending and well Erie never had it all year

Wow blame the referees, I guess that's that's easier said than losing to the better team

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Wow blame the referees, I guess that's that's easier said than losing to the better team

Didn't blame the refs.. Said it benefited Oshawa. Erie gets the calls maybe they lose in 6.. Would have made the games closer though. Never said Oshawa wasn't a good team. They are but truly think Erie was just a top goalie away from being on top

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Deadline costed them for sure.

I thought so too. Defense wins. People here seem to point the finger at Williams. I disagree respectfully to that opinion. The d-core was below average. Macdermid was good for a few dangerous backhanded turnovers a game leaving his zone but never thought to stop doing it? When things break down in the defensive zone aside from Dermott, Erie defenders were completely lost during this chaos, out of position, frozen and Williams was left to bail them out. I bet Oshawa talked about shooting wide on Williams, they scored on him several times this way, no dmen boxing out forwards taking rebounds off the boards. Oshawa imo earned this, was a hungrier team and a more emotionally mature team. Alot of complaining by the Otters to the refs...imo if u are always the victum or the martyr your looking for an excuse not to work and it can be the first step to giving up on your own will.

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Guys everyone knows that 4 seats in The Restaurant at GM Center in Oshawa are going for $1,000 for only One reason and it is not to see Dal Colle and Mermis, not to mention pairs of tickets to Game 1 and 2 are on KIJJI and Stub Hub for $300.00 to $500.00 a pair. Yep all about # 97, will say again to all you GENS fans, who have not had the pleasure of seeing the greatest Junior player in 30 years play LIVE, you will be blown away and not disappointed, lives up to and exceeds the hype.

Erie is almost SOLD OUT, but has about a 1,000 more seat capacity per game than Oshawa. Can you Gens Fans, recommend a good close by Sports Bar prior to the game in Oshawa, there are plenty in Erie. Good luck to all and hope the REFS stay out of it and let them play and it the GENS do not stay out of the box, people will be bring brooms with them to game # 4 at EIA. One prediction that will come true, McDavid will set the All Time scoring records for the OHL Playoffs, (only 10 points from doing so)so you will witness history of some sort, nice to say you could see it.

Sorry your prediction did not come true. All hail Jason dawe!!

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015
No it's Oshawa, expect northing else! :laugh:

Congrats on a great run. Sorry you lost to Oshawa. Always hated that team so I really wanted you to pull this out.

Your team was a mere Grade-A goalie away from the title and would have done the OHL Proud.

Absolutely love McDavid. What a treat to watch. Edmonton will have a gem!

And those Erie fans. WOW! :amazed: :handclap: Love that ****! Easily the loudest fans in the CHL by a long shot. What a place. Watched some of those goals (in this series) and the roar of the crowd on a few goals was phenomenal! Made Oshawa look like church on Sunday!

From what I saw on Sportsnet even the Gens players where clapping when what's his name received the MVP trophy from Branch. I found that actually surprising that he would win this trophy since he did nothing in the final to deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad