Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
the puck hit the glass I M H O ... direction change as it went into the stands .
but the game was lost in the second a soft goal and then ... .06
Face offs cost the Otters that game
win the draw and the 5th goal does not happen

why was the gens coach calling Willams a pu88y?
why was the gens coach chirping fans as he left the ice?

think maybe i will send branch an e mail to get to the bottom of it ....

the O T loss last year took the wind out of the Otters hope it was a lesson learned and the results are different this year .

Wow. What an arsinine move by DJ. He appears as belligerent behind then has he does in front. Pretty classless move. Hope he gets what's coming to him. Gens have a very good team. Hoping for a great game in Oshawa. And an errant puck finds its way onto Oshawa bench.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Williams is just too average. I can't blame him simply because against the powerhouse team in SSM he played very well. Kept Erie in every game and made key timely saves that if he doesn't make SSM runs away with some games and probably wins the series in 5 or 6. So honesty we aren't here without him. Did he play terrific in the series? No but outperformed Halverson and against the snipers in SSM to only give up about 3-4 goals a game is impressive, they are that offensively gifted. So without a win last series Erie isn't here.
Look they are still in this thing. Other than game 1 they have through the course of 9 periods plus OT have either played with Oshawa overall or even slightly looked like the better teams at times. I do agree that if Williams played more like he did in the SSM series or if Erie had a more legitimate goalie that they would probably be the ones ahead in this series 3-1 or at least have it tied 2 games a piece. That is what separates these teams right now. Yes Oshawa is bigger and better defensively but Erie is a lot more skilled offensively and is decent enough defensively and in Erie from what I saw that didn't get pushed around as a team. Appleby> Williams and that is the difference

Only way Erie does come back though is if Williams can give them a big road game in game 5. I look at it now that Erie has a 15% of coming back and winning. A win in game 5 and I'm increasing that to 35% and on home ice in game 6 I would feel super confident. Really it's all about the do or die game 5. Erie wins that and they are full of confidence, remove the game 4 tough loss, and they play a lot better at home so they would be flying in game 6.

Mcdavid said "not my last game in Erie" and one would expect him to come out super aggressive on backcheck in game 5. If he does the team will follow. And if they do Erie has a chance. This is a very resilient group so they aren't folding in now. Expect a complete effort because anything short of that and they are done.

The atmosphere was great last night but honestly it's the standard in Erie. How it was when they won in 2002 and was like this last round against the Soo. It's been more intense in this round of course but usually the place is always rocking when they have 6000+... Game 6 would likely be even louder so here is too hoping for that chance. Also Victoe Fernades wrote an article on GoErie concerning bankruptcy hearings and that prospective buyers who are not local have stated that they are interested in keeping the otters in Erie and now are even more interested as they have been to playoff games and love the "crowd atmosphere, towels, honking of the horns after a win, and the passion and loyal side of Erie fans".. I've said it all along, any buyer just needs to come see this arena and fans during a sold out game (especially in playoffs) and realize that you won't get this anywhere else. Can't top it. You might find something similar but why risk it when Erie has it? Fans are loud and proud and have been loyal through 10 miserable years. Add a new facility that holds 6500 fans and to me it's obvious. Can't get any better and if you come in and actually win more consistently in Erie I promise you will average 4500-5000 fans almost every single year and won't be in position to be bankrupt. Happened to bassin because he put out 10-25 win teams with no playoff wins for 10 years. Can't get much worse if you just try.

I doubt The otters are leaving this city. Only way is off the one buyer I believe who is interested in moving them completely out bids the other 3-4 who want to keep team in Erie. So if Erie fans want to hang their hats on something if we can't come back to win this series I'm hanging mine on the fact that good thing this team made the run when they did. All perfect timing believe it or not as the deep rounds allowed perspective buyers who may have been on the fence about keeping team in Erie to see the fan base at its best in the OHL finals. Made things more convicing for every bidder out there that this is the place

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good points hockeye. That article was certainly nice to read. I'm growing more confident in the Otters' future in this city by the day.

I wonder if Bassin will stay on as GM after he sells the team. Personally I'd like to see the team handed over to Dave Brown and have Bassin retire. He gave Erie two great runs in the early 2000s and now, but everything in between was a train wreck.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Good points hockeye. That article was certainly nice to read. I'm growing more confident in the Otters' future in this city by the day.

I wonder if Bassin will stay on as GM after he sells the team. Personally I'd like to see the team handed over to Dave Brown and have Bassin retire. He gave Erie two great runs in the early 2000s and now, but everything in between was a train wreck.
The game has moved beyond him. I think he will leave especially since Mcdavid is leaving. It's a transition to a new era and a perfect time to start clean. He might stay on for a year or 2 to help the transition with Dave Brown and for assistance but I hope a main role for him is not in the future

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Bassin is gone after this season. Once the team is sold, I really don't want to have any part of him around the team to sour things for any longer. Sure, he brought the team here, but it was under his "leadership" that lead us to 10 years of some of the most mediocre play I have ever seen.

As for the game last night, two reasons for the loss. Lack of clears on power plays (we were often gassed), and inability to win faceoffs in crucial moments.

The officiating wasn't horrible last night, but there were two that kind of boggled my mind. How does DeBrincat get two for "embellishment" when he takes a near breakaway in, gets a stick to the face, and gets up bleeding? Also, why is it allowed for someone to plow a player into the boards 5 seconds after the whistle?

All in all, last night's game (like game two) were games we could have won, we just failed in the crucial moments. Hopefully the boys come out on a mission on Friday, I want one more home game for McDavid.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
Bazsin has to much league knowledge to be let go by new owner
I see him staying at least 1 more year

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
gensfan2k thx for making the trip with your son..!!think I met you guys briefly ( didn't want to scare your son with the yellow wig and face mask lol,) but that's good bonding and father and son time there!

Things just haven't aligned too well for us here, it's part of the game -I get that.when goals bounce off your defensemens skate blade and past Williams for your second goal that sucks..When u get refs(#23) who basically skate right past the goal that's off and don't call it or when "NAZ " and the refs call DeBrincat for embellishment when he got a stick to the mouth and spitting blood ... Well that's high sticking oh NAZ you lord of the hockey officiating world.. Hell I can recall a few instances where calls were questionable against OSH as well...facts are facts....Theres a difference between crying about it- and mentioning it..There's thousands of replies to posts about officiating for a reason..17-18 yr olds just don't start spitting blood for no reason at all.. ADMIT IT NAZ!!

I think the dagger was that goal end of the second period when like 5 seconds or something like that was left and we let them score..can't blame Wiiliams.. He helped get us to the finals..shoulda - woulda-coulda about our play doesn't matter..

I think the games were closer than our 1-3 record in this series shows, but it is what it is...big diff to be 2-2 vs 1-3 in a series...

I think everything had to align just perfectly to beat OSH as good as they are, I'm proud of our team, the city, and to what I hope is the team staying in Erie ...I think we have a renewed and rejuvenated start here for something great for the future ...:yo:

Runner26

May 10, 2015
This series has been extremely even. The Otters could just as easily be up 3-1 as the Gens are now. Both teams have played well, but any mistake has been costly for both teams.

I do not expect the Otters to give up. They will bring their best game Friday night in Oshawa. I expect Oshawa will be ready for that. It should be a great game. The home crowd and last change will help Oshawa but this series is no where near over.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
It's not even close to being over. Considering Erie has had a chance to win every one of the last 3 games I believe they can win 3 in a row. Like I said in an earlier post, it's going to just come down to game 5 for me (obviously). But what I mean is that when you are down 3-1 in a series the hardest one to get is the first. If Erie wins in Oshawa then they are down 3-2 with a game 6 in Erie (I would love our chances in that situation) and of course game 7 is just a toss up. So I won't throw in the towel yet. Think Erie has done enough so far to have me believing they can win 3 straight. Toughest part is there is no room for error. Williams I'm talking to you. Giving up 4-5 goals in Oshawa on Friday won't do the job.. Especially garbage goals. This whole season comes down to 3 potential games and the one guy who has to step up is the one guy who has been the most inconsistent and biggest question mark for this team, Williams. If he can just start playing like he did last series or even game 3 of this series, then Erie has the ability to come back

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012
It's not even close to being over. Considering Erie has had a chance to win every one of the last 3 games I believe they can win 3 in a row. Like I said in an earlier post, it's going to just come down to game 5 for me (obviously). But what I mean is that when you are down 3-1 in a series the hardest one to get is the first. If Erie wins in Oshawa then they are down 3-2 with a game 6 in Erie (I would love our chances in that situation) and of course game 7 is just a toss up. So I won't throw in the towel yet. Think Erie has done enough so far to have me believing they can win 3 straight. Toughest part is there is no room for error. Williams I'm talking to you. Giving up 4-5 goals in Oshawa on Friday won't do the job.. Especially garbage goals. This whole season comes down to 3 potential games and the one guy who has to step up is the one guy who has been the most inconsistent and biggest question mark for this team, Williams. If he can just start playing like he did last series or even game 3 of this series, then Erie has the ability to come back

The Generals have beaten the Otters 5 out of 6 games this season. Now the Otters have to win 3 in a row, and 2 of those games are in Oshawa. The Generals didn't lose 3 in a row all season.

An Erie comeback seems very unlikely.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
unlikely yes. Impossible never say never
Sad to think MY Last time seeing Connor play live in ERIE was last night . (Out of town for Sunday game) what an honor it was to watch him grow up these last 3 years .

unlikely yes. Impossible never say never
Sad to think MY Last time seeing Connor play live in ERIE was last night . (Out of town for Sunday game) what an honor it was to watch him grow up these last 3 years .

Seeing him 34 times a year (excluding playoffs) for 3 years must have been a treat. The kid is a phenom and they don't grace the hockey world very often. I'm just happy he played in the Western Conference so that I got to see him on more than one occasion a year like most Eastern Conference teams. Having been graced with some great talent in London I know it's always hard to wave goodbye to such a player.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The Generals have beaten the Otters 5 out of 6 games this season. Now the Otters have to win 3 in a row, and 2 of those games are in Oshawa. The Generals didn't lose 3 in a row all season.

An Erie comeback seems very unlikely.
A) I never said it was likely. Just said there is a chance. Which that is just facts seeing as how the series isn't over

B) Oshawa won 2 of those games in 2014.. Without Mcdavid/Elie/Marchment. We aren't that same team and either is Oshawa.

C) other than game 1, Erie has played Oshawa even and at times has even outplayed them. They could be ahead 3-1 or tied 2-2 in the series based on the games played. So with that being said if they continue the way they played as a whole specifically in games 3/4 with a few improvements (faceoffs/goalie play) then maybe Erie will get the bounces in game 5 and beyond.

D) SSM never lost 3 in a row all season long and well Erie beat SSM 3 in a row last series. Those little side facts like "well when Erie last lost 3 in a row in November they went on to win 3 in a row after so Oshawa has no chance to close out this series" or "well when the temperature is exactly 72-78 degrees in Erie on gameday Erie is undeafted" (I made up these facts obviously ) are irrelevant. Just dumb. SSM didn't lose at home after trade deadline.. Erie beat them at home. SSM didn't lose 3 in a row all year.. Erie won 3 in a row against them. Erie was undeafted in their team history in closing out series with a 3-1 series lead going in to last series 3-1 lead against SSM.. They lost game 5. Mcdavid had not lost 2 games in a row all year when in lineup, Erie lost 2 games in a row this series with him in lineup. Little stats of history like that are meant to be broken. Who cares. You haven't lost 3 in a row because you haven't played 3 above average teams in a row all season long. Playoffs are crazy and anything happens. Heck Oshawa could have lost 3 in a row if Erie wins the close game 2 and the close game 4

Not saying Erie is winning this and I flat out said I feel like they have a 15% to come back and win series. I have little confidence. But the series isn't over and IF Erie does win game 5 I would go from having little confidence to saying "wow I think we should get to a game 7"
As an otter fan I am just trying to be positive. If the players on the team for Erie assume it is over then it already is over. The players are confident and so as a I will try to not bail on them and be truly supportive until they are officially done

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Seeing him 34 times a year (excluding playoffs) for 3 years must have been a treat. The kid is a phenom and they don't grace the hockey world very often. I'm just happy he played in the Western Conference so that I got to see him on more than one occasion a year like most Eastern Conference teams. Having been graced with some great talent in London I know it's always hard to wave goodbye to such a player.

Unfortunately I myself couldn't stand much to go when the team was pretty terrible his rookie year and the arena was a mess for construction as well. Maybe went to 8-10 games max but can't recall the exact amount. I did buy a few livestream games as well to watch him play and remember watching his first OHL goal in London as a rookie. Last year I went to about 32 games then all playoff home games and another 32 or so this year and all playoff games. His injury and WJC cost Erie fans some games but I have probably seen him 80 times or so live and it was a treat especially to watch him grow

Will be difficult when it really is over. More than just the talent he was a great kid. Just the fact that he never talked down on Erie and took the task to turn this team around as a challenge shows anyone the type of guy he is. But I know he has no regrets and loves this city, it is apart of him and he will always be thankful and as will we. Only question now is how long until Erie retires his jersey? Lol

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012
Unfortunately I myself couldn't stand much to go when the team was pretty terrible his rookie year and the arena was a mess for construction as well. Maybe went to 8-10 games max but can't recall the exact amount. I did buy a few livestream games as well to watch him play and remember watching his first OHL goal in London as a rookie. Last year I went to about 32 games then all playoff home games and another 32 or so this year and all playoff games. His injury and WJC cost Erie fans some games but I have probably seen him 80 times or so live and it was a treat especially to watch him grow

Will be difficult when it really is over. More than just the talent he was a great kid. Just the fact that he never talked down on Erie and took the task to turn this team around as a challenge shows anyone the type of guy he is. But I know he has no regrets and loves this city, it is apart of him and he will always be thankful and as will we. Only question now is how long until Erie retires his jersey?

It was the same here when Tavares was here in Oshawa. His first year was a waste because the team was so bad.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Here's to hoping the Otters pull a Rangers and win 3 straight.

Just take it one game at a time. Like any process, you have to look at it in steps. We have shown over the last three games that we can win these, just need some bounces to go our way, and solidify some of our weaker areas a little.

Oshawa is a great team, and even if we go down to them, I don't mind it. They are a city that hasn't had the Robertson since the first year the Otters were in Erie. They are a very good team.

But they still have to win the 4th, and we're not done yet.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
It was the same here when Tavares was here in Oshawa. His first year was a waste because the team was so bad.
It worked out though. Losing teaches guys how to win. Mcdavid really had never experienced it and that first year in Erie made him more hungry and knowing that nothing is a given.

Plus we were so bad that I could just focus my attention on him at all times and a little bit on Connor Brown and Stephen Harper, our 2 young rising stars at the time. Really they stunk cause they were so young and small but the falling year won 50 games with pretty much the same core guys

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Here's to hoping the Otters pull a Rangers and win 3 straight.

Just take it one game at a time. Like any process, you have to look at it in steps. We have shown over the last three games that we can win these, just need some bounces to go our way, and solidify some of our weaker areas a little.

Oshawa is a great team, and even if we go down to them, I don't mind it. They are a city that hasn't had the Robertson since the first year the Otters were in Erie. They are a very good team.

But they still have to win the 4th, and we're not done yet.
Erie almost pulled it off in 2011 vs. Windsor. It is very possible. I think the first win for us will definitely be the hardest. But if they do it?

I'll be sending my prayers to them

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012
Erie almost pulled it off in 2011 vs. Windsor. It is very possible. I think the first win for us will definitely be the hardest. But if they do it?

I'll be sending my prayers to them

The key to this next game is Williams. If the Gens get to him early the place is going to be rocking. And I can't see the Gens letting the Otters make up a multi-goal deficit on their home ice like they did in Erie.

However if McDavid puts the team on his shoulders I could see the Otters jumping out to a big early lead, forcing the Gens to open up, which may lead to McDavid having more ice.

Either the Gens are going to coast to a win by racking up a few early goals, or the Otters are going to win on the back of McDavid, or the Gens are going to win a nailbiter with a late goal, or the Otters are going to break our hearts with a late goal......... :laugh:

Basically I can see anything happening..... all I know is 18 years has been too long to wait for a championship.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The key to this next game is Williams. If the Gens get to him early the place is going to be rocking. And I can't see the Gens letting the Otters make up a multi-goal deficit on their home ice like they did in Erie.

However if McDavid puts the team on his shoulders I could see the Otters jumping out to a big early lead, forcing the Gens to open up, which may lead to McDavid having more ice.

Either the Gens are going to coast to a win by racking up a few early goals, or the Otters are going to win on the back of McDavid, or the Gens are going to win a nailbiter with a late goal, or the Otters are going to break our hearts with a late goal......... :laugh:

Basically I can see anything happening..... all I know is 18 years has been too long to wait for a championship.

Erie has waited 13 years and pretty much 10 of those years were irrelevant 7th-10th seed teams who had no chance to ever win a playoff series.

Anything can happen. Who knows

Yobbles

Aug 16, 2012
Erie has waited 13 years and pretty much 10 of those years were irrelevant 7th-10th seed teams who had no chance to ever win a playoff series.

Anything can happen. Who knows

Well when the Knights are in your conference, you hardly ever have a chance to win.

You guys should move to the East.... it's a lot easier out here! :sarcasm:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
81-97-12
14-19-29
15-27-17
11-26-9

Pretty obvious to move Pettit to 3rd line. With sportsnet and TV timeouts plus elimination game I would expect to see the fourth line barely at all tonight.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Win or lose tonight, very proud of this team and what they've accomplished this season. It's been a hell of a ride. I hope they can keep it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad