Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
Good call on the breakdown. They cant take things for granted because Oshawa isnt. Oshawa played differently than Erie being down by 2 or 3 goals i.e. more fight and less frustration and in that regard has a bit of an edge thru 3 games based solely on maybe a mindset edge and Id say its important to get more serious if they want to win.

In Oshawa is the big test, I would 100% at times put Mcdavid with 3rd liners/4th liners in Oshawa, if they are shutting down the Mcdavid line....why stack it all game long? cuz your essentially eliminating Elie and Debrincat who could be freed up without Mcdavid but still being greater than the depth Dmen in Oshawa, making them more valuble or dangerous....Mcdavid can be dangerous with lesser players. Id definately give Oshawa this look in there barn and see what happens.

coach did this a bit tonight but not to the extent of the whole line Kyle M was in for alex a shift or 2

and yes the Otters need to get the lead by 2 to take the gens out of the D & trap that is their bread and butter.

you could see the cherry picking and stretch pass attempts that the gens were trying when they were down by 2

Coach K also made a reference to the icings with the change allowed in this league .he said if a team gets in a poor match up they just ice the puck and change personal ... maybe a rule change would be in order here ?

a non game question ... an N H L analyst said if a penalty shot is awarded and missed, then the player causing the foul should have to serve the 2 minute penalty. .

thoughts ?

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Erie is in good shape. Bad first game. Good second game just couldn't finish and lost. Great response tonight. Could easily be 2-1 Erie but don't think any team should be ahead 3-0. Erie just finished their chances tonight and it was good to see. They had just 1 PP tonight and it lasted an amazing 20 seconds or so. Oshawa only had 3 but one was the obvious must call of Darren Raddysh delay of game. Really solid game from refs. Let them play. Just wish Erie can have a full PP in game 4.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
coach did this a bit tonight but not to the extent of the whole line Kyle M was in for alex a shift or 2

and yes the Otters need to get the lead by 2 to take the gens out of the D & trap that is their bread and butter.

you could see the cherry picking and stretch pass attempts that the gens were trying when they were down by 2

Coach K also made a reference to the icings with the change allowed in this league .he said if a team gets in a poor match up they just ice the puck and change personal ... maybe a rule change would be in order here ?

a non game question ... an N H L analyst said if a penalty shot is awarded and missed, then the player causing the foul should have to serve the 2 minute penalty. .

thoughts ?

Never thought about that on a pentalty shot. Seems like a clever idea. In other circumstances if a delayed penalty occurs than the team has a chance of free 6 on 5 hockey.

I like the idea. Anything to add a bit more offense the NHL should be open to those ideas

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa

thoughts ?

I noticed at least one time the Gens iced the puck & it was obvious they were gassed. If this is supposed to be a "developmental league" let them play by NHL rules, separate themselves from college/AAU rules.

This will set the league up to be head & shoulders above others for development straight to NHL. Look at Burakovsky's development, he was hesitant to play here, look at his stats in the playoffs for the Caps.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I noticed at least one time the Gens iced the puck & it was obvious they were gassed. If this is supposed to be a "developmental league" let them play by NHL rules, separate themselves from college/AAU rules.

They did it a lot when Mcdavid tried to sneak on for double shift with 3rd, 4th line players and Brown/Mermis and Cassels weren't out there. I remember 2 cases where Mcdavid snuck back on and they iced it within 10 seconds of the shift. Mcdavid of course went to the bench right after while brown and others came on

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009

thoughts ?

Makes no sense - penalty shots are in the 30% + success rate, penalties between 15% and 20%.

What would make more sense and it has been suggested is eliminate the icings. This would increase the power play percentage and force teams to handle the puck more rather than just shooting it down the ice.

Interestingly enough, the players association is lobbying for ways to add more goals.

Congrats to Erie on the win. Looks like a great series to be watching in person. Should be a great game 4.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I thought that the Otters were much more physical than Oshawa. When I say physical, we were taking the body real well Remi was hitting them hard. The check on Smith by Kurtis was one of the best ones I have ever seen at that level. I didn't know that a body that big could stay in the air that long. Petit was huge. He DID NOT lost one face-off all night. I think that we will be alright.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I thought that the Otters were much more physical than Oshawa. When I say physical, we were taking the body real well Remi was hitting them hard. The check on Smith by Kurtis was one of the best ones I have ever seen at that level. I didn't know that a body that big could stay in the air that long. Petit was huge. He DID NOT lost one face-off all night. I think that we will be alright.

They definitely amped the effort. They play like that and they will at least be in a position to win games.

Thought Pettit played very solid for not playing in 8-9 weeks. Had a few honest errors but kinda expected it. As knoblauch said it allows Erie to run all 4 lines more and certainly at least allows them to run top 3 more consistently. Pettit also adds more size and defensive ability which is huge in this series. Plus like you said faceoffs. He is our best faceoff player and one of the tops in league.
Looking forward to hopefully having him back on PK. Jake Marchment centering first unit PK and Pettit on the second unit PK.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Good win for Erie Oshawa came on and almost rallied how was the crowd noise in Erie did it beat the comments of Josh Brown of the Niagara crowd esp in game four comeback attempt Josh Brown makes a comment in there about the crowd noise in Niagara where he says this...
"We went there last year, I don't think we expected how loud they were and how into the game we were," Brown says of North Bay. "I hope we got a good taste of that in Niagara when they were coming back. That crowd was one of the loudest I have ever heard."

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Congrats to McDavid, awarded the Red Tilson Trophy as the Most Outstanding Player in the league! Two straight years an Erie player wins it.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have had that view in the back of my mind. Thought about it facing SSM to avoid Nurse, etc. Might benefit more against a team like this.

The problem is who do you move him with? Whoever he plays with Oshawa will match with their first line of defense and some of their better forwards. Can't have guys like K. Maksimovich grinding all game against Oshawa's top players.
Still think you need someone offensively gifted with Mcdavid and Debrincat has maybe the best chemistry with him so I'm not seperating them (also Debrincat had incredible effort tonight)
But I would maybe give J. Marchment a shot although he is a natural center. But he is usually responsible in his own end and can grind for pucks in the corner against big guys. Tonight though his cousin Mason was pretty solid defensively and maybe you give him a shot. He would add more offensive talent than Jake but is also younger and risky in terms of defensive play.

Hard to say if it would work but I like the idea. Really would rather just see Erie try to play Oshawa's game and get the first goal and just work on keeping the lead. More likely to win 2-1 or 3-2 in Oshawa than have that Mcdavid experiment work but for fun it would be cool it worked

Id pair him with anyone in the bottom 6 and double shift him with his own line also. When Elie and Debrincat and the Strome line are freed up vs 3-4-5-6, defenseman they are gonna have to produce something. Thats the whole point, to take advantage of the 5-6 D pairing with your Top 6 forwards without Mcdavid. If they score this way, Oshawa is forced to make big decisions.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Id pair him with anyone in the bottom 6 and double shift him with his own line also. When Elie and Debrincat and the Strome line are freed up vs 3-4-5-6, defenseman they are gonna have to produce something. Thats the whole point, to take advantage of the 5-6 D pairing with your Top 6 forwards without Mcdavid. If they score this way, Oshawa is forced to make big decisions.

Just for fun I would do go with these lines if that was the game plan:
11-97-17
14-19-29
81-15-12
9-27-26

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
For some reason we seem to start these series slow and adjust and finish well..Thought it was a huge improvement tonight , Ellie , J Marchment , Pettit all throwing the body around last game.. And well Betz and MacDermid as usual...Did you see that HIT!

I thought our speed was pretty good as well, DeBrincat and Ellie had the afterburners on.. Didn't see any signs of wearing down ..Ellie just gives 100% every shift and every game..Probabaly the hardest working guy on the team..

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
For some reason we seem to start these series slow and adjust and finish well..Thought it was a huge improvement tonight , Ellie , J Marchment , Pettit all throwing the body around last game.. And well Betz and MacDermid as usual...Did you see that HIT!

I thought our speed was pretty good as well, DeBrincat and Ellie had the afterburners on.. Didn't see any signs of wearing down ..Ellie just gives 100% every shift and every game..Probabaly the hardest working guy on the team..
Elie had his best game of the postseason for sure. If Baptiste and Strome can step up more than Erie is in good shape

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Note to Erie fans:
Please disregard the ignorant remarks made by some Oshawa fans on their message board. The OHL is home to teams from both Ontario and the U.S. and the league is better for it! Good luck the rest of the way.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Note to Erie fans:
Please disregard the ignorant remarks made by some Oshawa fans on their message board. The OHL is home to teams from both Ontario and the U.S. and the league is better for it! Good luck the rest of the way.

Great post nelli. As Canadians we are born with hockey in our blood. For true OHL fans it makes no different where players come from or which team they play for. I always enjoyed all the American teams when we get a chance to see them play. Most teams are a mix of players from both countries plus imports. These young men mean a lot to all our communities. It's great having teams from the US. It helps promote a great game. Go Otters!

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Note to Erie fans:

Saying some Oshawa fans implies more than one idiot is saying this. It is one (most likely not even a fan )as all this person does is whine complain and pick fights with real Oshawa fans. Never has anything good to say and is highly misinformed and I will add probably 12 years old. Please Nelli do not label ,it is not fair. This idiot and I will just give his initials ...darmitage should just go away. Maybe we can all ignore this person to not fuel it any longer. As far as the over weight comments I saw. Again someone who joined the board because Oshawa has a good team this year......not a real fan. These comments are stupid and ridiculous and have nothing to do with hockey. Erie fans, You can see the comments of the real Generals fans and you can easily tell who they are. Ignore the dummies. It's a great series and we look forward to the rest of it. You are welcome in the GMC anytime as we are all part of the same league! Here's to good hockey the rest of the way.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
WOW!

Was starting to wonder myself though,as some of these kidney shots are starting to accumulate, the comments about McDavid hitting a fan with his stick...(there's clear video showing zero , nothing, nada..not even a dirty look,by YOUR fellow countryman himself of ANY wrongdoing)and yes we are envious of that fact!lcould McDavid be Irish-American??lol..Now some of these newer comments...Some of your fans or one main one- really are reaching to find fault with our group..

It's funny how some times a little extra motivation in sports can turn the tides..

But thx for the clarification,and we realize there's always a couple in every bunch( ourselves included):rant:but thumbs up for clarification :handclap:

Runner26

May 10, 2015
A great series

Please ignore the trolls and a**holes that may post here or on the Gens board. They are in the vast minority and probably less than you can count on one hand. They don't represent the large number of great fans we have here.

This is a great series between two great teams. Both sides desperately want "their" team to win and sometimes fans say things they ought not to.

Either team is capable of winning this series. Its not a case where one team is signficantly better than the other and picking one team of the other is like choosing heads vs tails in 7 flips of a coin.

I have tickets for the Memorial Cup and hope to watch the Gens. If not watching and cheering for the Otters won't be such a bad consolation prize. At least its not the Petes lol:handclap:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, Nellie. Appreciated by posters on this forum. Back to the game. The crowd noise was pretty loud. If you watch the replays on Ottershockey.com you get a better sense of it rather than the ohl network highlights. Oshawa is a very big team. They play positional hockey very well. At the same time I saw the Otters outhit them by a wide margin. I will say this-the Gens don't seem to get too rattled about anything. Tonight is huge for the Otters. They are a resilient group. We shall see.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Good win for Erie Oshawa came on and almost rallied how was the crowd noise in Erie did it beat the comments of Josh Brown of the Niagara crowd esp in game four comeback attempt Josh Brown makes a comment in there about the crowd noise in Niagara where he says this...
"We went there last year, I don't think we expected how loud they were and how into the game we were," Brown says of North Bay. "I hope we got a good taste of that in Niagara when they were coming back. That crowd was one of the loudest I have ever heard."

Sorry Niagara is NOT even close to being loud.

Most raucous fans are in Erie and North Bay is right up there too!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Can't help but laugh at that game. Unbelievably one sided officiating. But in the end a rookie mistake from Marchment costs Erie the game and likely the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad