Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Let's make it easy for u to compare.

Take away your best player (97)because one of our bottom 6Fs take a cheap shot and........ Series on IMO, but we'll never know. McD owned the series and without him neither u or I know what woulda been. But I like our chances. Domi also missed a game do to a suspendable hit. So minus McD and injure your 2nd best F for a game n half and who knows if lingering effects, we'll subtract Ryshma n jamieson, who knows..... Well Im sure you do.

Ya play with who ya got. My point is Erie was fortunate with all 3 opponents missing their best/most important players ( or as in Dangelo, playing injured) And thinking otherwise is naive.

To suggest Erie wasn't better off vs London with their guys suspended n knights out injured or missing game n playing hurt is just dumb.
The made their bed, and the drop off wasn't huge when players moved up one spot each to replace them.

Here is my point:
Mcdavid is the best player in the world not in NHL so yes we would be struggling if he was out, clearly. But if he was out and Marner was in, Erie probably wins that series in 6 games. But that is beside the point.

Macdermid is in my view our best defenseman next to Dermott. Others might argue differently but everyone would say he is at least our 3rd after maybe only Darren Raddysh. Without him Erie loses key defensemen and depth and experience which was the whole point in keeping 3 OA defensemen. Pettit might be one of the most underrated players on the bottom two lines in the league. If he played with better offensive players he might have stats to prove so as well.

I'm not excusing being down 2-0 with the loss of players. I do think that having Pettit back would make things a bit more comfortable on special teams and 3rd line but wouldn't be the difference in wins or losses. But I don't need to argue with you because I never seem to be accurate with my opinion which is weird because one's own opinion is accurate to the one saying it seeing as how that's all it is, opinion.

I love going to games but my life doesn't revolve around hockey, it's just extra entertainment. So if they lose I'm not going to lose any sleep. I'll just be happy they made it. My expectations was a 4th/5th seed team. They had what about 10-12 rookies to start the year? Yes they had Mcdavid and Strome but that was about it. I didn't expect them to win a chamionship early in the year. And honestly if we didn't make the moves we did last year Erie probably would have made a few more trades this year. After the deadline though so I thought we had a chance but if you would have said we won in 6 vs SSM I would have guessed that Williams somehow fixed his issues, which he sorta did. But as far as I'm concerned this team is still doing better than I expected and I'm just happy for them and city of Erie.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Generals fan here. Please don't loop generals fans with some other teams fans on boards. Yes crowd was not as loud last night. The anthem singer who did a great job you could tell made an honest mistake singing the Canadian anthem first. He sang the American anthem well after. We all knew in the crowd he was amped up to sing and started with O Canada. Sorry if anyone was offended but really think there was no intent.

Now about the game . It's true the game could have went either way if appleby doesn't stand on his head a few times. Williams also made great saves on an earlier gens power play where he made 6-7 saves in a row.

As I have posted before the Generals are in this position because they play a team defensive system with great goaltending and three even lines that can score . Mcdavid is incredible . The last two games have been the first time for me seeing him live.
The generals finished lowest goals against in league for a reason. Understandably media promote mcdavid and the otters and soo this year but a lot of other fans knew Oshawa is a tough team to play against . On earlier posts some otter fans really doubted that Erie would be involved in a low scoring game. I get that when you have dynamite offense like you do but we also were very confident in the way Oshawa plays. Oshawa was top 3 in pp and pk this year and best goals against and top three in goals scored so it's not a shock they are playing this way.

Looking forward to the games in Erie. I will be there wed cheering the Gens on but looking forward to the atmosphere there . Enjoyed the loud and proud fans in north bay and now want to see the great atmosphere in Erie. This series is not over I still think it could go 6-7 unless Oshawa wins game three. Split is the goal there.

Generals fan here. Please don't loop generals fans with some other teams fans on boards. Yes crowd was not as loud last night. The anthem singer who did a great job you could tell made an honest mistake singing the Canadian anthem first. He sang the American anthem well after. We all knew in the crowd he was amped up to sing and started with O Canada. Sorry if anyone was offended but really think there was no intent.
I'd like to see the National Anthems removed from sporting events all together...but that's just me.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Here is my point:
Mcdavid is the best player in the world not in NHL so yes we would be struggling if he was out, clearly. But if he was out and Marner was in, Erie probably wins that series in 6 games. But that is beside the point.

Macdermid is in my view our best defenseman next to Dermott. Others might argue differently but everyone would say he is at least our 3rd after maybe only Darren Raddysh. Without him Erie loses key defensemen and depth and experience which was the whole point in keeping 3 OA defensemen. Pettit might be one of the most underrated players on the bottom two lines in the league. If he played with better offensive players he might have stats to prove so as well.

I'm not excusing being down 2-0 with the loss of players. I do think that having Pettit back would make things a bit more comfortable on special teams and 3rd line but wouldn't be the difference in wins or losses. But I don't need to argue with you because I never seem to be accurate with my opinion which is weird because one's own opinion is accurate to the one saying it seeing as how that's all it is, opinion.

I love going to games but my life doesn't revolve around hockey, it's just extra entertainment. So if they lose I'm not going to lose any sleep. I'll just be happy they made it. My expectations was a 4th/5th seed team. They had what about 10-12 rookies to start the year? Yes they had Mcdavid and Strome but that was about it. I didn't expect them to win a chamionship early in the year. And honestly if we didn't make the moves we did last year Erie probably would have made a few more trades this year. After the deadline though so I thought we had a chance but if you would have said we won in 6 vs SSM I would have guessed that Williams somehow fixed his issues, which he sorta did. But as far as I'm concerned this team is still doing better than I expected and I'm just happy for them and city of Erie.

Hockeye you are correct in saying no one at the beginning of the season thought Erie would get this far with what they had. Most thought they should have done more at the deadline. The Soo was supposedly the top team in Canada going by the weekly list that we all read. They were good just not good enough. Oshawa lost a game or two near the end which cost them first over all in the OHL. They would have beat the Soo if they were in the final. Anyhow as a fan I am sure all these playoffs games are a highlite of the season. Notice I never used the word "ya" once! :)

kenner

Mar 31, 2013
Just wondering if there is any truth to the story on the gens message board about a stick swinging incident involving McDavid and a fan?

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Nah...I couldn't handle sucking that bad in order to pick 1st overall.:laugh:

And of course if he went to London via trade you wouldn't have been able to deal with "assets lost" in the future to get him.

No doubt the Gens are a tough team, hopefully Erie will make the series interesting this week.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'd like to see the National Anthems removed from sporting events all together...but that's just me.

Totally agree, it served it's purpose when introduce long ago, but why bother now?

I do love it when the anthem singer turns it over for a verse to the crowd (still get goosebumps- and one of few cool things in the Bud) but could really do without it

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
ERIE and OSHAWA Fans and the Game

Now about the game . It's true the game could have went either way if appleby doesn't stand on his head a few times. Williams also made great saves on an earlier gens power play where he made 6-7 saves in a row.

As I have posted before the Generals are in this position because they play a team defensive system with great goaltending and three even lines that can score . Mcdavid is incredible . The last two games have been the first time for me seeing him live.
The generals finished lowest goals against in league for a reason. Understandably media promote mcdavid and the otters and soo this year but a lot of other fans knew Oshawa is a tough team to play against . On earlier posts some otter fans really doubted that Erie would be involved in a low scoring game. I get that when you have dynamite offense like you do but we also were very confident in the way Oshawa plays. Oshawa was top 3 in pp and pk this year and best goals against and top three in goals scored so it's not a shock they are playing this way.

Looking forward to the games in Erie. I will be there wed cheering the Gens on but looking forward to the atmosphere there . Enjoyed the loud and proud fans in north bay and now want to see the great atmosphere in Erie. This series is not over I still think it could go 6-7 unless Oshawa wins game three. Split is the goal there.
Well said GensFan2K2
We are ERIE Fans, and were at both games in Oshawa. Erie did play far better on Saturday Night and yeah Appleby (Who deservedly got the first star) made us shake our heads sometimes the way people do when they see #97 play. Williams also IMO played very good. Up until those final 7 Minutes in the Third I thought it was going to overtime. Will say it again you have a great rink, not a bad seat in the house, your scoreboard, is house league at best and a joke. As for loud crowd, I guess loud for GMC Centre, but trust me when you go to ERIE on Wednesday you will post on this board and the Oshawa Board that you have never had a OHL Fan Game experience like that anywhere.

Also make sure you hit the pre game action at Sluggers Bar and Grill, 5 minutes from rink and post game the Plymouth Tavern on State St. As for the Generals, very impressive, big strong physical team that are all buying into the system. Having said that the GEN'S and you have no idea as to what awaits them at EIA on Monday, just too bad the Crowd wasn't on the ICE, but they will be the 6th man on the field so to speak. Enjoy your time in ERIE and look forward to being back in Oshawa for game # 5 on Friday.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Saying Erie "overachieved" is wrong. That implies they somehow are playing better than they actually are, or are getting really lucky, etc. This group has earned it.

I would definitely say they surpassed preseason expectations. Many (including myself) didn't think they'd win the division and would probably be a middle of the pack team. Some even thought McDavid could end up being on the block.

Last night's loss was certainly disappointing, Erie played great hockey for 50 minutes, just couldn't beat Appleby.

I hope they win Monday night to make this series interesting.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Ya Scotty Newlands does a tremendous job with the anthems. Sang for the Leafs during their playoffs a few years ago and now usually sings for their military appreciation night. He tweeted out to someone that it he was under the impression that he was only doing the Canadian anthem last night. Honest mistake, good on him to get back out there and finish off the American one

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Saying Erie "overachieved" is wrong. That implies they somehow are playing better than they actually are, or are getting really lucky, etc. This group has earned it.

I would definitely say they surpassed preseason expectations. Many (including myself) didn't think they'd win the division and would probably be a middle of the pack team. Some even thought McDavid could end up being on the block.

Last night's loss was certainly disappointing, Erie played great hockey for 50 minutes, just couldn't beat Appleby.

I hope they win Monday night to make this series interesting.

They've definitely earned it! You are what your record, standings, how far you advance says you are.

Enjoy the McD show a while it lasts. Hopefully 5 more league games just for entertainment for all us ( but Im guessing 3-4 more)

Hes been a treat to watch live at the Bud in exxy, reg season n playoffs. Well see another of his class someday, but it maybe a while.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Didn't see the game but
Listened to most of it on the radio..for those of you who were there did Applebee just entirely steal the show? I mean from what we heard Applebee stopped everything that was thrown at him, and at some points it sounded like it was quite a flurry in front of that net but we couldn't get the puck in the back of the net..

Also was the physical thing as big of an issue as it was made out to be?

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Didn't see the game but
Listened to most of it on the radio..for those of you who were there did Applebee just entirely steal the show? I mean from what we heard Applebee stopped everything that was thrown at him, and at some points it sounded like it was quite a flurry in front of that net but we couldn't get the puck in the back of the net..

Also was the physical thing as big of an issue as it was made out to be?

I was a Generals fan in the building for both games and yeah, the first ten minutes of the third period I was just about resigning myself that Erie was definitely going to score...it was just too much pressure. I didn't have a great view of Appleby in the third (and the garbage video board didn't help at all) but it seemed like there were some prolonged mad scrambles.

I think I heard McDavid say it post game, but it was a completely even game, and maybe even a little in the Otters favour, for 50 minutes. It was the closest 5-1 game I've ever watched. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad