Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Why are the Erie home games starting at 7:35? I saw all the Gens games begin at 7:05. The earlier the better in my world. Is it one of those tv deals where the game drags on forever?

anotherhockeyfan

Oct 31, 2014
Not to take anything away from Appleby; however, Erie made him look stellar. Wide open nets that they couldn't capitalize on, trying too hard at the end of the third and getting off their game, not being patient with the puck when the Gen bodies were flat out on the ice blocking shots, I could go on. Also not the main reason but not getting the lucky bounces going their way didn't help either...............just my opinion on why they lost game 2.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Hoping you guys can intimidate the Generals like hell tonight and throw them off their game! We sat near the Otters' bench on Friday and the players got an earful from the crowd throughout the game since it is very open with low glass near the visitor tunnel. MacDermid and Williams received the majority of it and it was non-stop throughout the game. At the tv time-out in the 3rd, Williams had troubles holding back the laughter when some guys kept shouting "5-hole" at him.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Erie fans will be sure to heckle Oshawa tonight so no worries. Don't think any player ever gets too worked up over it, although it seemed like last series that SSM regardless of what their players said genuinely couldn't keep their cool and remain disciplined in Erie. They seemed to do more taunting to the fans and players than worrying about having more scoreboard success. Some players get too focused on trying to stick it to the fans than to actually just play the game.

EIA will likely be the loudest it has been. Free beer offered before the game and sold out crowd with standing room only. Expect a rocking house and maybe that gives the Otters a spark they need. Easier said than done to beat Applybe but I always feel like once you can bury a few in a game against a great goalie your confidence will come back. And being on home ice might help in that effort but if they only got 1-2 goals tonight they are done. They need to find the net more to get guys rolling. Erie is a momentum team. When they have it and get rolling on with it they can go on great stretches. So a great offensive night and team play with a win will have the series at 2-1 with Erie starting to get that momentum, that's when they become a little more tough to beat

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Erie better start fast because I am sure the Gennies will come out hitting everything in site at the start. It's do or die tonight for the Otters. They could never come back four straight against such a big team with a great goalie. Williams has to be sharp.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Erie better start fast because I am sure the Gennies will come out hitting everything in site at the start. It's do or die tonight for the Otters. They could never come back four straight against such a big team with a great goalie. Williams has to be sharp.

Your right the Gen's will be banging and sometimes that get's them into penalty problems but they wear teams down by banging, I can see Erie giving it a push the Gen's better be ready to push back, also it going to be interesting who is going to get the honor of shutting down Mcdavid as the line of Latour, Cassels, Hunter did a great job but here's the problem the Gens don't have last change :laugh:
GO Gen's Go

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Fridays game started at 735 but Saturdays started at 7:05. Also the generals play a complete team defensive game. They will want cassels on mcdavid for sure but when they didn't get match up mid change cirelli was on him from one line and lindberg was on him on other line so they are aware of him. It will be tough tonight in a loud atmosphere like Erie but generals only need split here to bring it home Friday where I can tell you it would be rocking .

Appleby is a big reason this team is where it is too. I give my head a shake when I see he doesn't win ohl goalie of the year with best wins, gaa and save percentage plus most shutouts. Perressini is a great goalie too but to not give the award to appleby is a joke.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
As Loud as it can Get and FREE BEER

Erie fans will be sure to heckle Oshawa tonight so no worries. Don't think any player ever gets too worked up over it, although it seemed like last series that SSM regardless of what their players said genuinely couldn't keep their cool and remain disciplined in Erie. They seemed to do more taunting to the fans and players than worrying about having more scoreboard success. Some players get too focused on trying to stick it to the fans than to actually just play the game.

EIA will likely be the loudest it has been. Free beer offered before the game and sold out crowd with standing room only. Expect a rocking house and maybe that gives the Otters a spark they need. Easier said than done to beat Applybe but I always feel like once you can bury a few in a game against a great goalie your confidence will come back. And being on home ice might help in that effort but if they only got 1-2 goals tonight they are done. They need to find the net more to get guys rolling. Erie is a momentum team. When they have it and get rolling on with it they can go on great stretches. So a great offensive night and team play with a win will have the series at 2-1 with Erie starting to get that momentum, that's when they become a little more tough to beat

Hockeye well said and I look for EIA to break a new decibel warning levels with the sound. I even posted on the GEN'S board for those who made the trip to join us across the street for Free Pints and Fun.

It will be tough but man if ERIE pops in a few quickly look out, EIA will be at earthquake level LET"S GO OTTERS !!! Well even if we don't win I will not have had to pay for my Bud, so I have already won, but I think on opening Day it was Coors Light, Oh Well !!!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Needless to say that was a huge win

The Otters played terrific through 40 minutes, I thought they really outworked the Generals.

Took advantage of two turnovers for odd man rush goals in the third.

That first Cassels goal is one Williams will want back, soft shot.

Erie slacked off a bit though after getting the 4-1 lead, Williams couldn't do really anything on those last two goals. Need to be sharper against Oshawa.

But the important thing is they held on for the win.

One game at a time, bring it again on Wednesday and hopefully tie the series up.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013

The Otters played terrific through 40 minutes, I thought they really outworked the Generals.

Erie slacked off a bit though after getting the 4-1 lead, Williams couldn't do really anything on those last two goals. Need to be sharper against Oshawa.

One game at a time, bring it again on Wednesday and hopefully tie the series up.

they played well
the puck over the glass and the 6 on 5 pp cost them one goal
the last 2 were seeing eye pucks through a sea of body's

the building was rocking the last 30 seconds ...

look for more of the same in game 4

good showing of support from the gens fans loud when their team scored
hope the fans around them were respectful

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Wednesday sold out. Phreak show on French Street! Oshawa is the real deal, that save on the open net was a full team effort, hard road ahead for Erie. This Oshawa team is a result of Oshawa trading Tavares to London "back then".....

Love this Erie team, optimistic on taking it to seven.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
EON gotta agree agree with the terrific play for 2 periods ... At least .. Don't agree at all the way Knobloch approached the third period after it was 4 to 1...it was totally obvious what they were doing and almost came back to bite them...

Applebee is an awesome goaltender , just was good to see that we could put up a few goals tonight..:handclap:

Also Sure the GENS are a big physical team as everyone says , but again Just didn't see a physically dominating game that everyone boasts about.. We're not trying to intimidate anyone as that's not our game...

APPLEBEE an overager???

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
EON gotta agree agree with the terrific play for 2 periods ... At least .. Don't agree at all the way Knobloch approached the third period after it was 4 to 1...it was totally obvious what they were doing and almost came back to bite them...

Applebee is an awesome goaltender , just was good to see that we could put up a few goals tonight..:handclap:

Also Sure the GENS are a big physical team as everyone says , but again Just didn't see a physically dominating game that everyone boasts about.. We're not trying to intimidate anyone as that's not our game...

APPLEBEE an overager???

The crowd took Oshawa out for the most part of the game.....Once they got used to it.......

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
correct me if i am wrong but did both teams not play on the same ice?

with the gens complaining about it in the post game interview you would think they were the only ones on it .

wait till wed after the concert and game 6 after the graduations ....

warm weather covered ice and rock and roll music ....soft mushy ..bouncy bounce

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Wednesday sold out. Phreak show on French Street! Oshawa is the real deal, that save on the open net was a full team effort, hard road ahead for Erie. This Oshawa team is a result of Oshawa trading Tavares to London "back then".....

Love this Erie team, optimistic on taking it to seven.

I'm a neutral observer and I really would love to see a game seven as it extends the last of McDavid a bit longer. I still think Oshawa is just too well rounded and deep and that to me will be the ultimate difference.

Either way I don't think OHL Fans will be disappointed regardless of who win when the Winner moves on the Mem Cup.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Key to me is first goal. Oshawa is a great team defense. They get ahead 1-0 or 2-0 they just look to hold it. If Erie gets that first goal and tonight the first 2 it forces Oshawa to open up.

The late 2 goals was the only bad issue. Cassels said that he felt the otters couldn't hang with them the last 7 minutes. Well let's see. Erie clearly played a "3 goal lead let's sit on it" approach with 7 minutes remaining. Nothing was too bad until Harding was wide open in front. Nothing Williams could do. Nobody is saving that, not even appleby. If that's a good shot on target it's in the net. And it was. Then Erie still was playing relaxed and Raddysh takes a terrible penalty. Basically a man advantage the rest of the 3 minute 30 seconds remaining and they score on a 6 on 4 with net pulled. Yes they had way more offense but 1 goal was terrible missed assignment defensively and the other was a 6 on 4 throw to the net garbage goal. Most teams will control the puck with a 6 on 4 or 5 on 4 situation. But largely erie played very well tonight. We're physical and didn't get shoved around. Owned the second and had a decent 1st and 3rd period.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Good call on the breakdown. They cant take things for granted because Oshawa isnt. Oshawa played differently than Erie being down by 2 or 3 goals i.e. more fight and less frustration and in that regard has a bit of an edge thru 3 games based solely on maybe a mindset edge and Id say its important to get more serious if they want to win.

In Oshawa is the big test, I would 100% at times put Mcdavid with 3rd liners/4th liners in Oshawa, if they are shutting down the Mcdavid line....why stack it all game long? cuz your essentially eliminating Elie and Debrincat who could be freed up without Mcdavid but still being greater than the depth Dmen in Oshawa, making them more valuble or dangerous....Mcdavid can be dangerous with lesser players. Id definately give Oshawa this look in there barn and see what happens.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I'm a neutral observer and I really would love to see a game seven as it extends the last of McDavid a bit longer. I still think Oshawa is just too well rounded and deep and that to me will be the ultimate difference.

Either way I don't think OHL Fans will be disappointed regardless of who win when the Winner moves on the Mem Cup.

I'd rather see Erie in 6..... Erie taking it to 7 might happen.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Good call on the breakdown. They cant take things for granted because Oshawa isnt. Oshawa played differently than Erie being down by 2 or 3 goals i.e. more fight and less frustration and in that regard has a bit of an edge thru 3 games based solely on maybe a mindset edge and Id say its important to get more serious if they want to win.

In Oshawa is the big test, I would 100% at times put Mcdavid with 3rd liners/4th liners in Oshawa, if they are shutting down the Mcdavid line....why stack it all game long? cuz your essentially eliminating Elie and Debrincat who could be freed up without Mcdavid but still being greater than the depth Dmen in Oshawa, making them more valuble or dangerous....Mcdavid can be dangerous with lesser players. Id definately give Oshawa this look in there barn and see what happens.
I have had that view in the back of my mind. Thought about it facing SSM to avoid Nurse, etc. Might benefit more against a team like this.

The problem is who do you move him with? Whoever he plays with Oshawa will match with their first line of defense and some of their better forwards. Can't have guys like K. Maksimovich grinding all game against Oshawa's top players.
Still think you need someone offensively gifted with Mcdavid and Debrincat has maybe the best chemistry with him so I'm not seperating them (also Debrincat had incredible effort tonight)
But I would maybe give J. Marchment a shot although he is a natural center. But he is usually responsible in his own end and can grind for pucks in the corner against big guys. Tonight though his cousin Mason was pretty solid defensively and maybe you give him a shot. He would add more offensive talent than Jake but is also younger and risky in terms of defensive play.

Hard to say if it would work but I like the idea. Really would rather just see Erie try to play Oshawa's game and get the first goal and just work on keeping the lead. More likely to win 2-1 or 3-2 in Oshawa than have that Mcdavid experiment work but for fun it would be cool it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad